• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questioning INFJ looking for answers feeling lost. Anyone else go through this?

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Questioning Weather I'm really an INFJ or an INTJ and more recently an INFP.I've always tested as an INFJ but others have typed me as INTJ ( my mom)
and INFP( some people on another forum) I was also told maybe ISFP but I know I'm not that type. I revers tested as an ESTP. So I'd sat INFJ but I'm new to this and
I need to really study all of them more before I can make a decision. S that's why I'm here to type myself and figure out why I feel like I'm the only one like me sometimes.
I'm in my fourth year of college and I've only been to 3 parties ( I was forced). All three times I went I was very anxious and on edge. I like people but I can't be around them all the time.
I count the second until my roommate leaves. I know her class and work schedule just so I know when shes coming back so I can do all the weird things I like to do. Like pace back and forth talking to myself about hypothetical situations that have and probably will never happy. Ponder the mysteries of the world and myself.

I need to know why I have to find the best possible way to say something. I correct peoples sentences in my mind because there is always a better word to use than they are using.
I need t know why I love words so much 98th% on the vocabulary and comprehension part of the sat. I felt like a freak who get's 98% on vocabulary. Who gets so caught up in stuff like that.I mean my talents would have be better used in the math portion. That score was abysmal..... AND I NEED TO KNOW WHY I DO THIS!
I had planned to write a brief paragraph but I started typing and went off on a tangent of things. Other people write and they say what the need to say and they stop while I cant' seem to stop myself from writing novels. I want to figure out why when I get fixated on something like an intriguing thought I will stay up all night looking at every detail. I was up till about 5 am looking at typology watching every you tube video and reading every article I could.I took 10 different test to type myself and I'm still not satisfied even though I made sure they were all worded differently and as dissimilar as possible. I also enjoy generational studies and will get fixated on that as well.

I just want to know why I feel weird all the time like I'm some form of sub human. I have ever only had a few real friends. I have only dated 2 people and both relationships lasted over 3 years. I want to stop being a spectator in life and actually live it or at least realize that there is nothing wrong with me. Maybe this is my normal. I want to stop being frustrated with myself.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I need to know why I have to find the best possible way to say something. I correct peoples sentences in my mind because there is always a better word to use than they are using.
I need t know why I love words so much 98th% on the vocabulary and comprehension part of the sat. I felt like a freak who get's 98% on vocabulary. Who gets so caught up in stuff like that.I mean my talents would have be better used in the math portion. That score was abysmal..... AND I NEED TO KNOW WHY I DO THIS!
I had planned to write a brief paragraph but I started typing and went off on a tangent of things. Other people write and they say what the need to say and they stop while I cant' seem to stop myself from writing novels. I want to figure out why when I get fixated on something like an intriguing thought I will stay up all night looking at every detail.

Oh great another genius! :happy2: :dont:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I say INFJ. Ni makes you ponder abstract things, introversion for sure (you like being alone), Fe-Ti because the things you think about are of a more human and social nature, and your analytical thought seems subservient to it. INFJ's almost always feel weird and different from the rest of humanity. Often they feel they are not human at all. Also your title screams Ni-Ti, needing answers. Most of what you describe I've seen other INFJ's write at some point.

And don't worry about people saying INFP; that seems to be the default type around here for a lot of things. Granted a lot of people are, and slightly more of the population is than INFJ, but I think possibly more INFJ's would be interested in typology and typology websites, so it evens out.

Oh great another genius! :happy2: :dont:

I read somewhere that INFJ's (along with the other INXX's I think) are among the types with the highest average IQ's.

W

WALMART

You may have a vernacular of great breadth, but its application needs work.

People are weird. I'm weird, you're weird, etc. If it is interfering with your daily operation I suggest professional help. Until then, you're just an Enneagram type four.

Ni makes you ponder abstract things.

Ni makes you ponder about things abstractly. I didn't find one abstract perception in the entire post, tbh. I'd sooner vote ISFJ.

gromit

likes this
You are still figuring yourself out and gaining confidence in who you are.

I want to stop being a spectator in life and actually live it

Seems like a great place to start. Find something you enjoy and do it.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ni makes you ponder about things abstractly. I didn't find one abstract perception in the entire post, tbh. I'd sooner vote ISFJ.

Eh, I disagree. I think both. And since you think I am ISFP, I will just point out that being an aspiring philosopher I do both.

I want to stop being a spectator in life and actually live it
Inferior Se.

or at least realize that there is nothing wrong with me. Maybe this is my normal. I want to stop being frustrated with myself.

INFJ's are very self critical, and usually think there's something wrong with them. That's what the descriptions say, and the impression I've gotten from visiting their forum.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For some reason it seems that those who type as INFPs and INFJs on the forum are more often acused of being ISFPs and ISFJs than the self typed INTPs and INTJs are accused for being ISTPs and ISTJs.

Perhaps feelers are easier for people to criticize and question since they may not be as intimidating to disagree with.

Someone correct my little observation here if it is inaccurate.

W

WALMART

For some reason it seems that those who type as INFPs and INFJs on the forum are more often acused of being ISFPs and ISFJs than the self typed INTPs and INTJs are accused for being ISTPs and ISTJs.

Perhaps feelers are easier for people to criticize and question since they may not be as intimidating to disagree with.

I've noticed T types don't throw their type out for discussion too often. I suspect the majority of INTJ's to be ISTJ's, likely the same for INTP's.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well I am by no means a genius. Numbers and I are like oil and water. I made the mistake taking a computer science class this term. I hate coding. I excel at marketing research. I like to figure out every possibility as to why people do what they do. What would entice them to buy on product over the other. I got into generational studies earlier this year and spent most of my time looking into that. I stumbled upon typology and here I am. I feel if I can master the typing system I'll be able to intertwine that with what I know about cohorts of people ex A Baby Boomer INTJ is more likely to ect. What type of people are affected by eternal factors and how to market to them vs people who are governed by internal factors. I have a theory that the nomad generations would have more of a Fi oriented function. If each generation as a typology I can better understand groups of people then break that down into the 16 types. Di-sect that generation even more into which of the 16 types is more prevalent in a given generation. Maybe i'll find a generation who members are largely fe Inferior are easier to organize ect. I can't even type myself so I'm a long way from being able to do that. It's just a little insight into limitations of my genius. I can conceptualize that but I can't code a hello world program.

Would finding my enneagram be helpful? I feel like it would turn into something else for me to obsess over lol.

W

WALMART

Well I am by no means a genius. Numbers and I are like oil and water. I made the mistake taking a computer science class this term. I hate coding. I excel at marketing research. I like to figure out every possibility as to why people do what they do. What would entice them to buy on product over the other. I got into generational studies earlier this year and spent most of my time looking into that. I stumbled upon typology and here I am. I feel if I can master the typing system I'll be able to intertwine that with what I know about cohorts of people ex A Baby Boomer INTJ is more likely to ect. What type of people are affected by eternal factors and how to market to them vs people who are governed by internal factors. I have a theory that the nomad generations would have more of a Fi oriented function. If each generation as a typology I can better understand groups of people then break that down into the 16 types. Di-sect that generation even more into which of the 16 types is more prevalent in a given generation. Maybe i'll find a generation who members are largely fe Inferior are easier to organize ect. I can't even type myself so I'm a long way from being able to do that. It's just a little insight into limitations of my genius. I can conceptualize that but I can't code a hello world program.

Awesome. I've wondered about practical applications of MBTI, advertising seems perfect.

My suggestion, to overcome some of your questions, is to study the functions and their relation to each other. There is some good reading to be found strewn about. Some people like to focus on the type descriptions (or solely the letters themselves), which are good too, but I find that to be more like reading the answer and agreeing than knowing the questions themselves.

At any rate, good luck with your search. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Awesome. I've wondered about practical applications of MBTI, advertising seems perfect.

My suggestion, to overcome some of your questions, is to study the functions and their relation to each other. There is some good reading to be found strewn about. Some people like to focus on the type descriptions (or solely the letters themselves), which are good too, but I find that to be more like reading the answer and agreeing than knowing the questions themselves.

At any rate, good luck with your search. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.

I'm fairly new to this so any resources you have would help. I love books so if you could recommend any that would also be very helpful.

A

Anew Leaf

The truth can sometimes feel like an accusation.

iNtrovert

MBTI Type
Ni
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

So it's common for people to question the validity of typing as an INFJ? More specifically type them as INFP's. Is it normally this hard to distinguish between these types?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
So it's common for people to question the validity of typing as an INFJ? More specifically type them as INFP's. Is it normally this hard to distinguish between these types?

People question any N type. There is an issue with relating the subject material to real experiences and we all do this regardless of function or type.

So you end up with people who know maybe one or two individuals of a certain type and then spend their time stretching this across all members of that type as a template. INFJ's and INFP's are extremely different to me for example, but then other people appear to get them mixed up a great deal or at least have trouble deciding between them.

Dominant Fi is nothing like dominant Ni in my own experience and understanding, but whether or not you or anyone else trusts that is up to you/those people. I often find that INFP's are fairly mellow most of the time compared to the more obsessive intensity of INFJ's.

However individuality tends to spit on such generalistic statements. Afterall an INFJ who has spend their life without something to obsess over usually can appear quite mellow and ive certainly met plenty of intense and driven INFP's. I would like to offer more advice, but all I can do is spout information on the functions.

Tying those functions to something that can be brought back into present comprehension and understanding is difficult however. Afterall, (as an example), Fi can be both indignant and complacent in equal measure. Just as Ni can be obsessive yet contemplative in that same measure.

Acerbusvenator

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes :dry:
I was accused of being an INFJ wannabe and "fake" with a need for feeling special from a typological sense. :dry:
But then again, that was on PerC :tongue:
Apparently they thought I was INFP...

People got issues with defining Ni.
Simulatedworld probably did the best description here: http://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-of-cognitive-functions-from-various-sources :hifive: