• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me find my type!

Scorpion

Some things about me:

-I am perfectly fine on my own or in a group. When I am in groups I tend to be popular, but I also have the habit of dominating the conversation and perhaps not give everyone else an equal opportunity to speak. When I'm in class, I'm almost always one of the people who always talks at least once per class, so much so that the professor often knows I haven't done today's readings if I'm overly quiet and will ask me about it after class. I'd have to say I spend most of my time "alone" and online, though I don't consider the internet an entirely solitary activity. I'm fine without face-to-face interaction though, and generally don't enjoy things like parties. I like focused and productive conversation. Small talk is uninteresting and gets on my nerves a lot. In smaller groups or one-on-one, I'm okay with less focused chat.

-I'm a procrastinator, even though I don't like being one. When I have something I like doing, I can dedicate hours at a time to it and remain immensely focused. I have 50+ page long Word documents for my notes on a video game I was playing and my "record" is writing 10,000 words in one day on a subject I was interested in. When it's something I find boring, I have a really hard time getting myself to do it. I always finish things before the deadline, but it's often last minute and stressful. I have a habit of convincing myself that I have plenty of time until I hit the point where I will actually be late if I don't start right now. I'm also resistant to do things I see as pointless busywork, even if not doing it would result in a punishment and doing it would result in a reward. Life is short, I have better uses of my time than doing something pointless for an arbitrary token. Thankfully now that I'm in university almost everything I do for school is productive, but back in grade school I felt like I was learning to get work done more than actually learning the subject. I spent more time making excuses to get out of doing homework than I did actually doing homework...and was damn good at it, too.

-I prefer to be direct and honest. I don't like hinting at people when I want something done, and I don't like it when people hint at me. You need to say what you want.

-I can get overly obsessed with one or two things at a time, to the expense of every other thing I'm doing. I'm prone to being "addicted" to something and devoting myself until I know every single facet of that thing. After a certain amount of time or when the next interest comes along, my interest in the previous subject can drop like a rock and I never touch it again. This leaves a lot of projects thoroughly planned and started but never fully realized, which is something I'm trying to work on.

-I can be stubborn and I don't adapt to change very well. I don't like moving to a new house, or starting a new job, or going to a new school. I don't like when I make plans with a group of people and then they all decide to do something different, especially if I was excited for what we were originally doing. It takes me a long time to get used to things. However, when trouble arises I'm still good at improvising.

-I tend to be "unaware" a lot, especially of other people. Sometimes someone will wave at me and I don't even notice, or someone will say hello and I keep walking because I don't notice that they're talking to me. I forget where I left my keys, or if I've locked my door. I'm also pretty terrible at reading facial expressions and picking up on emotional cues. I don't follow social conventions I disagree with (like, girls always going to the bathroom in groups) even if it makes me stick out and look awkward.

-My interests have leaned more towards pop culture and writing (fiction, nonfiction, journalism, whatever) than anything scientific, with the exception of programming and computer science. Love 'em.

-I've generally been described as witty and humorous, although my sense of humor is very dark. I did some stand-up comedy for a while locally and was pretty well-liked.

-I wouldn't say I'm out of touch with my own feelings, but they're usually private. I don't understand other people's feelings that well and I have a lot of trouble comprehending it when some people make decisions based on feelings alone that would otherwise make their lives very hard. If I had to deal with feeling bad, or deal with my life being in financial ruin, I'd pick feeling bad any day. Worrying about having enough food makes me sad, personally...I also tend to value objectivity over considering everyone's feelings. If I'm making a team, and someone less-capable wants to be on the team and it'd really hurt their feelings if they weren't, while someone more capable is willing to give up their spot, I'd still choose the more capable person.

-I like romantic relationships in theory but they've never really worked out.

-I love competition and can be overly competitive, aggressive, and stubborn at times. I've been told I'm a cut-throat and have a hard time just having fun when I'm up against other people. I take losing very hard, even if nothing much was on the line. At the same time, I welcome comments on what I'm doing if they'll help me improve and can take criticism well. I can't understand people who have no desire to improve themselves and would rather be told they're good when they're not.

-I prefer to do things my own way. I was good at math in school but I often lost marks for not doing the "right" steps to get the answer, and then eventually i just started doing the problems in my head and not showing my work. Then I got docked marks for not showing my work, despite having the right answer. Sometimes the established way is established for a reason, but if you don't open yourself up to new ideas you will never progress.

Any guesses? I have a guess but I don't want to put bias onto anyone. Guessing Enneagram or instinctual variants is fine too although I'll probably go over to that forum later.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Hmm...well you definitely sound like a T, a likely introvert, and a possible J (although you still might be a P).

Can you tell me a bit more about things that you think would help determine S vs. N?

karmacoma

Some things about me:

-I am perfectly fine on my own or in a group. When I am in groups I tend to be popular, but I also have the habit of dominating the conversation and perhaps not give everyone else an equal opportunity to speak.

+1 in favor of extroversion. True introverts do not dominate conversations and not let people speak - they conserve their energy and take a lot of time to open up.

When I'm in class, I'm almost always one of the people who always talks at least once per class, so much so that the professor often knows I haven't done today's readings if I'm overly quiet and will ask me about it after class.

Another +1 in favor of extroversion. You are not afraid to share your opinions.

I'd have to say I spend most of my time "alone" and online, though I don't consider the internet an entirely solitary activity.

Wise decision. Spending a lot of time on the Internet does not necessarily point to introversion as some claim - discussion on the Internet is actually an interactive process, so why eliminate E based on that?

I'm fine without face-to-face interaction though, and generally don't enjoy things like parties.

Me, either. Parties seem to be more of an SP thing than anything, although any type can attend one if the occasion is right.

I like focused and productive conversation. Small talk is uninteresting and gets on my nerves a lot. In smaller groups or one-on-one, I'm okay with less focused chat.

Intuition point. Small talk has the greatest correlate with S, not E, as some like to think. Small details=S, not extroversion, which merely gauges your energy level and willingness to share thoughts regardless of medium.

-I'm a procrastinator, even though I don't like being one.

Most correlated with P among all sources I have read.

When I have something I like doing, I can dedicate hours at a time to it and remain immensely focused.

Jon Niednagel of braintypes.com says this is common among E__Ps. J types and introverts can focus better regardless of whether or not they find something interesting.

I have 50+ page long Word documents for my notes on a video game I was playing and my "record" is writing 10,000 words in one day on a subject I was interested in. When it's something I find boring, I have a really hard time getting myself to do it.

Another point in favor of ENTP per Niednagel's methodology and observations at least. Video games are also a play activity and hence more common among P types, not the work-oriented Js, who again don't need something to be interesting for them to focus well on it.

I always finish things before the deadline, but it's often last minute and stressful. I have a habit of convincing myself that I have plenty of time until I hit the point where I will actually be late if I don't start right now. I'm also resistant to do things I see as pointless busywork, even if not doing it would result in a punishment and doing it would result in a reward.

LOL, were we separated at birth? I have the exact same tendencies, and I have to guard against them.

Life is short, I have better uses of my time than doing something pointless for an arbitrary token. Thankfully now that I'm in university almost everything I do for school is productive, but back in grade school I felt like I was learning to get work done more than actually learning the subject. I spent more time making excuses to get out of doing homework than I did actually doing homework...and was damn good at it, too.

That seems to be more common among ENTP males than females. I liked grade school about as much as later school. Per statistics, girls tend to do better than boys in grade school (earlier development of the left hemisphere - I can cite a lot of evidence of this, as well as J being more strongly correlated with the left hemisphere than any other letter), but the difference lessens as the genders get older.

-I prefer to be direct and honest. I don't like hinting at people when I want something done, and I don't like it when people hint at me. You need to say what you want.

Thinker trait. Feelers more often want to be tactful, avoid hurting people, and say what you want to hear rather than what is direct, honest, and truthful. Every methodology I have studied agrees with this basic principle because it simply makes effing sense. :)

-I can get overly obsessed with one or two things at a time, to the expense of every other thing I'm doing. I'm prone to being "addicted" to something and devoting myself until I know every single facet of that thing. After a certain amount of time or when the next interest comes along, my interest in the previous subject can drop like a rock and I never touch it again. This leaves a lot of projects thoroughly planned and started but never fully realized, which is something I'm trying to work on.

Another classic ENTP trait per Niednagel - NTs love knowledge, but EN_Ps in particular can drop things like a hawk and move onto something else because they are Ne dominant and hence love finding out something different. You are showing remarkable ENTP consistency so far. In fact, eliminate all J types entirely, IMO. J types are far more prone to being finishers in all matters, and again, this is consistently claimed in all 16 type methodologies I have seen.

-I can be stubborn and I don't adapt to change very well. I don't like moving to a new house, or starting a new job, or going to a new school. I don't like when I make plans with a group of people and then they all decide to do something different, especially if I was excited for what we were originally doing. It takes me a long time to get used to things. However, when trouble arises I'm still good at improvising.

Also relate. Ne types do not necessarily love change - we idealize something as great, so something that changes in the empirical/sensing world, like a new house, job, or school, can really be unsettling. Still, improvisation fits wonderfully with EN_P. I__J types hate improvisation - that requires doing something quickly and spontaneously, the exact opposite of the I__J brain.

-I tend to be "unaware" a lot, especially of other people. Sometimes someone will wave at me and I don't even notice, or someone will say hello and I keep walking because I don't notice that they're talking to me. I forget where I left my keys, or if I've locked my door. I'm also pretty terrible at reading facial expressions and picking up on emotional cues. I don't follow social conventions I disagree with (like, girls always going to the bathroom in groups) even if it makes me stick out and look awkward.

Again, were we separated at birth? lol. Poor Sensing and Feeling awareness.

-My interests have leaned more towards pop culture and writing (fiction, nonfiction, journalism, whatever) than anything scientific, with the exception of programming and computer science. Love 'em.

Excellent! Imaginative N type.

-I've generally been described as witty and humorous, although my sense of humor is very dark. I did some stand-up comedy for a while locally and was pretty well-liked.

More ENTP evidence. ENTPs are the #1 stand-up comedy type per Niednagel. Think about it - dark thinker thoughts, spontaneous EN_P wit. No other type logically fits stand-up comedy better than ENTP.

-I wouldn't say I'm out of touch with my own feelings, but they're usually private. I don't understand other people's feelings that well and I have a lot of trouble comprehending it when some people make decisions based on feelings alone that would otherwise make their lives very hard. If I had to deal with feeling bad, or deal with my life being in financial ruin, I'd pick feeling bad any day. Worrying about having enough food makes me sad, personally...I also tend to value objectivity over considering everyone's feelings. If I'm making a team, and someone less-capable wants to be on the team and it'd really hurt their feelings if they weren't, while someone more capable is willing to give up their spot, I'd still choose the more capable person.

Yeah, you're a thinker.

-I like romantic relationships in theory but they've never really worked out.

Dominant intuitive. Hesitant to jumping in with cuddly feelings, so dominant intuitive and secondary thinker.

-I love competition and can be overly competitive, aggressive, and stubborn at times. I've been told I'm a cut-throat and have a hard time just having fun when I'm up against other people. I take losing very hard, even if nothing much was on the line. At the same time, I welcome comments on what I'm doing if they'll help me improve and can take criticism well. I can't understand people who have no desire to improve themselves and would rather be told they're good when they're not.

Terrific, and again consistent with thinkers from what I have read. Aggression and competition correlate poorly with introversion and feeling, respectively - aggression requires taking action and expending energy while competition comes with expectation of people losing and getting hurt! And feelers do not take criticism well.

-I prefer to do things my own way. I was good at math in school but I often lost marks for not doing the "right" steps to get the answer, and then eventually i just started doing the problems in my head and not showing my work. Then I got docked marks for not showing my work, despite having the right answer. Sometimes the established way is established for a reason, but if you don't open yourself up to new ideas you will never progress.

Beautiful ENTP quote. Never mind the SJ traditions if another way works better!

Any guesses? I have a guess but I don't want to put bias onto anyone. Guessing Enneagram or instinctual variants is fine too although I'll probably go over to that forum later.

Using Brain Types methodology, and based on all what you wrote in aggregate, you are a clear-cut ENTP, which is also said to be by far the most common type (this belief is also echoed in Socionics methodology - good discussion of that here - http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/showthread.php/1359-ENTP-Most-common-type ). Using MBTI methodology, you might hear you are an introvert, a feeler, or a judger, because MBTI bias thinks all ENTPs must be rare and must be lawyers. :D Instead, IMO, ENTP thought can create so many false types because NP is open to everything, NT types live in their heads a lot and can be confused for introverts, and the Thinker traits of __TPs are not as strict as __TJ types because of the influence of the improvisatory and creative P right brain (talked about at length in Lenore Thompson and Jon Niednagel material). I'd estimate that 80-90% of the people who post on typology boards are true ENTPs, who, seeing so many tangents and possibilities everywhere and being unable to categorize judging, sensing reality efficiently as SJs, can create any potential type scenario and justify it with convincing conceptual logic even if their stance does not hold up that well in the empirical sense.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENFP? second option, ESFP? can you tell us more about your interests, (hobbies, etc). also, are you a guy or a girl and how old are you?

E was the first I identified, followed by P. I also got Fi and now I'm not so certain about Se or Ne, but one of these is your dominant and Fi second.

karmacoma

Agree with Disney on the T, and pink on the E__P. I think intuition is most strongly supported by your obliviousness to things going on around you. Both Si and Se are much more aware of their environments - Si the details, Se the concrete spatial entirety of it.

Scorpion

I am female, age 23. My hobbies are: writing, video games, computer stuff (programming, repair, etc), TCGs, and I'm a major science fiction buff...I think E__P might be right and I appreciate the long case for ENTP especially! I am quite sure I'm T rather than F, haha...the only thing keeping me from definite __TP as opposed to __TJ is that I relate to both Ti and Te very well, Fi a little bit, and Fe pretty much not at all, as I don't really care about social conventions or group harmony. I may be misunderstanding Fe in the tertiary position though because I'm just looking at the Wikipedia description. Otherwise ENTP seems the most likely.

I didn't know anything about ENTP being common because most stats I see say that all N types are less common than all S types (with ESTJ and ESFJ usually the 'most common'); that's strictly MBTI though, so who knows. Rarity wouldn't really influence my opinion on what type I am anyways, though.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Agree with Disney on the T, and pink on the E__P. I think intuition is most strongly supported by your obliviousness to things going on around you. Both Si and Se are much more aware of their environments - Si the details, Se the concrete spatial entirety of it.
I disagree with Si and Se being aware of their environments. My father and I are both definite sensors, yet we are both oblivious to the world around us. I always thought this was more of an introverted thing. However, I definitely see extraversion now that you guys pointed it out. Dominating conversations? Yup, a total extravert trait.

However, I think that people are too quick to label people intuitives when they come in here, especially in a situation like this. I'm really not seeing much of an S/N distinction. Also, I don't see the P distinction as clearly as you people seem to. There are many J's in this world and many have these tendencies to procrastinate, be disorganized, etc. Although these traits are associated with P's more often, I still wouldn't rule out J entirely.

ENTP is a definite possibility, but I think [MENTION=16842]Scorpion[/MENTION] should keep an open mind.

I am female, age 23. My hobbies are: writing, video games, computer stuff (programming, repair, etc), TCGs, and I'm a major science fiction buff...I think E__P might be right and I appreciate the long case for ENTP especially! I am quite sure I'm T rather than F, haha...the only thing keeping me from definite __TP as opposed to __TJ is that I relate to both Ti and Te very well, Fi a little bit, and Fe pretty much not at all, as I don't really care about social conventions or group harmony. I may be misunderstanding Fe in the tertiary position though because I'm just looking at the Wikipedia description. Otherwise ENTP seems the most likely.

I didn't know anything about ENTP being common because most stats I see say that all N types are less common than all S types (with ESTJ and ESFJ usually the 'most common'); that's strictly MBTI though, so who knows. Rarity wouldn't really influence my opinion on what type I am anyways, though.
It's interesting that an ENTP would relate to Fi more than Fe considering function order, but I suppose it is not uncommon.

I know everyone thinks you're an intuitive and it does make sense, but I'm slightly skeptical. ;)

Have you read these by any chance?
Extraverted Sensing: Experiencing the immediate context; taking action in the physical world; noticing changes and opportunities for action; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing "what is." Noticing what was available, trying on different items, and seeing how they look.
Extraverted iNtuiting: Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change "what is" for "what could possibly be"; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts. Noticing the possible meanings of what you might wear: "Wearing this might communicate…"
Extraverted Thinking: Segmenting; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not. Sorting out different colors and styles; thinking about the consequences, as in "Since I have to stand all day…"
Introverted Thinking: Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision. Analyzing your options using principles like comfort or "Red is a power color."
Extraverted Feeling: Connecting; considering others and the group-organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: "One should or shouldn't wear…" or "People will think…"
Introverted Feeling: Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for. Evaluating whether you like an outfit or not: "This outfit suits me and feels right."

Here is a link to some alternate descriptions and such that you may find useful.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with [MENTION=16840]karmacoma[/MENTION], ENTP seems most likely. I'd also consider INTP as a second possibility.

Ntuitive

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, I'd have to go with ENTP here over INTP (knowing friends with both types), especially because of the OP's "aggression" and his "cut-throat" nature. It seems like INTPs, while they do want to be on top of things, especially when it comes to information that they're interested in, are pretty much chill (at least in terms of actual expression rather than motive). But that's just my experience with them, since I can't speak for all INTPs here. . . . :)