• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ --> ISFP: Is it possible?

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I was sure I was an INTJ. Perhaps I was one. But after recently learning more about the Jungian functions, I find they do not match. I seem closer to ISFP, with a bit of confusion of the J/P preference, which is not supposed to be confusing.

:huh:

What's going on here?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Well, what are your general interests/tendencies?

What elements of your personality do you think are better described under the ISFP template?

The MBTI is fat with confirmation bias. Most types are fairly fluid.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I was sure I was an INTJ. Perhaps I was one. But after recently learning more about the Jungian functions, I find they do not match. I seem closer to ISFP, with a bit of confusion of the J/P preference, which is not supposed to be confusing.

:huh:

What's going on here?

I've suspected a non-negligible number INTJ's of really being IxFP's. But I've learned that's due to a tendency of mine to focus on weaknesses rather than strengths.

It's possible that you've just interpreted yourself as being your own shadow type somehow, but I don't know.

MBTI may not work according to Jung's original functions, though. It really has a lot of it's own scales and definitions which are different now.

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, what are your general interests/tendencies?

What elements of your personality do you think are better described under the ISFP template?

Elements of my personality: This description contains a number of spot-on traits:
Portrait of an ISFP

From other descriptions, I discovered that ISFP males (me) are fiercely competitive, and don't take losing well. That is definitely me. Perhaps that has some INTJ similarities as well, but INTJ's seem to focus on intellectual defeat rather than just any kind.

It's just all so accurate! Looking at the functions, I noticed that my Ni is not nearly as active as it should be for an Ni-dominant type (INTJ). Also, my Fi is much more active than I previously thought (since I recently learned more about the differences between it and Fe, which is what I identified with F types). It is a very real possibility that I am actually Fi dominant. Se and Si are a bit mixed for me, but again Se is much more active than it should be for an INTJ, who has Se as the fourth function, not the second.

I've suspected a non-negligible number INTJ's of really being IxFP's. But I've learned that's due to a tendency of mine to focus on weaknesses rather than strengths.

It's possible that you've just interpreted yourself as being your own shadow type somehow, but I don't know.

MBTI may not work according to Jung's original functions, though. It really has a lot of it's own scales and definitions which are different now.

Maybe. I'm not quite sure what to think about it. Until I learned more about the functions, ISFP was one of the types which I knew the least about.

alicia91

INTJ --> ISFP: Is it possible?

Just from personal experience I'm going to say yes. I tested (not professionally) as INTJ for a couple of years. I think it was due to going through a difficult period in my life (very stressed, lots of major changes etc.) and I act very INTJ under those circumstances. But I knew that when I was younger and happier I wasn't much like that. So I redid the tests and answered them as if I was going through a stable phase.

I guess it's that shadow coming out. On the other hand, I do have quite a bit of N, T and J naturally so I guess they were just strengthened......?

I found "myself" when I read the book Do What You Are by Tieger and Barron, and they had great, detailed descriptions of the dictomies and I immediately recognized that I was a Feeler, then everything fell into place.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Just from personal experience I'm going to say yes. I tested (not professionally) as INTJ for a couple of years. I think it was due to going through a difficult period in my life (very stressed, lots of major changes etc.) and I act very INTJ under those circumstances. But I knew that when I was younger and happier I wasn't much like that. So I redid the tests and answered them as if I was going through a stable phase.

I guess it's that shadow coming out. On the other hand, I do have quite a bit of N, T and J naturally so I guess they were just strengthened......?

I found "myself" when I read the book Do What You Are by Tieger and Barron, and they had great, detailed descriptions of the dictomies and I immediately recognized that I was a Feeler, then everything fell into place.

I was thinking about being an ISFP... and then I realized that when I'm acting like this I'm not being 'normal.' While an ISFP may act INTJ under very difficult times, it's probable that an INTJ may act ISFP under stressed circumstances. INTJs may become rampant pleasure-seekers and become overly sensitive to things that they never really considered to hurt them before (unhealthy Se and Fi) but still lock up when confronted by others (therefore appear introverted).

Yes there's confirmation bias involved with MBTI, and all sorts of other things to screw up accuracy -- and even the question if it's a valid system in the first place -- but the only way to figure it is to consider what is normal functioning and what is not. The top two are normal, and the bottom two are 'relief.' The top two can feel so normal to your functioning as to appear invisible to you, while the bottom two are the fun, the pleasures, and the pains. I don't ever remember being 'smart,' I don't ever remember accolades or epiphanies or realizations or anything that Ni or Te would recognize. What I remember is following things on the spur of the moment and making a fool of myself (Se), especially when hurting someone else when doing it (Fi). The first two are familiar, the second two are alien, but still a part of you. Therefore, what Ni and Te give me don't take much notice, but what Fi and Se give or take from me is always noticed.

Or, you know, I could be completely wrong and it's the other way around. But I'm pretty sure about this one.

MBTI Type
ENTP
If I were you I'd narrow it down by temperament.

For example: do you learn through repetition (artisan) or through research and insight? (rational)
which do you trust more: impulses (artisan) or logic? (rational)

redacted

If I were you I'd narrow it down by temperament.

For example: do you learn through repetition (artisan) or through research and insight? (rational)
which do you trust more: impulses (artisan) or logic? (rational)

i disagree. for borderline cases, temperaments are too vague.

the only way to figure out your type is to have an accurate understanding of all the functions and the ways they interact. on top of that, you need to accurately assess your own thought processes, which is quite difficult.

mysavior

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IT

I've had this feeling a great many times as well. Alot of INFPs, specifically, that I come across act like INTJs, but due to their colors, it is clear that they are not.

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Apologies to those who were fooled: this thread was meant to be a practical joke. It was designed as a "trap" for a certain member who insisted that I was not an INTJ. (Some of you might be able to guess.) Interesting (possibly hilarious) developments would have followed, but he became largely inactive shortly before the thread was started, and apparently never came across it. So never mind. I never thought I was an ISFP after all.

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
Your definitely not an INTJ.

Being a real INTJ as an analogy is like being confident in your sexuality and knowing it since birth.

Any INTJ kid will have realised early on that they really are different to the rest of the kids. If you can't point to that your just a wannabe.....

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Being a real INTJ as an analogy is like being confident in your sexuality and knowing it since birth.

Any INTJ kid will have realised early on that they really are different to the rest of the kids. If you can't point to that your just a wannabe.....

Don't take this the wrong way - but I was REALLY different than the rest of the kids, and I DEFINITELY was not INTJ.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
There's a simple test for you Duke of York,

Q: Somebody insults you and brings your (wo)manhood into question. Do you...

a. Get personal. Assert your dominance as quickly as possible. Threaten for a fight if you have to.
b. If you have nothing witty to say, don't say anything at all.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Duke, have you infiltrated INTP Central, yet?

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Not an ENTP, anymore, then? :devil:

My INTJf type is separate. I prefer not to mix up the storylines.

I don't think I have always been an INTJ. I matured into it (not to imply that INTJ is an inherently more mature type). My personality is still something of a mess when it comes to matching the traits; though the INTJ description beats out all the others, I do have hints of INTP (mainly just having dominant Ti, with the other INTP functions being quite underdeveloped) and some E tendencies (sometimes seeming close to an indistinguishable E/I balance). In short, my temporary ENTP role over at INTJf isn't that much of a stretch.

There's a simple test for you Duke of York,

Q: Somebody insults you and brings your (wo)manhood into question. Do you...

a. Get personal. Assert your dominance as quickly as possible. Threaten for a fight if you have to.
b. If you have nothing witty to say, don't say anything at all.

I suppose I should choose option b, since I would not bother trying to reason with someone who doubts my gender. If I want to come up with something witty, I do. In that area, if there's a will, there's a way.
I would usually probe first to see if the person is actually joking.

Duke, have you infiltrated INTP Central, yet?

No. Is it worth it? (I anticipate having to cut back on my forum activity soon anyway.)

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Apologies to those who were fooled: this thread was meant to be a practical joke. It was designed as a "trap" for a certain member who insisted that I was not an INTJ. (Some of you might be able to guess.) Interesting (possibly hilarious) developments would have followed, but he became largely inactive shortly before the thread was started, and apparently never came across it. So never mind. I never thought I was an ISFP after all.

Then you'll at least do us a favor and convince us why you actually are INTJ:D

(hint: I never take the caption by someone's name on these sites at face value)

TheLastMohican

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Not exactly. But it's a war between INTPc and INTJf!!! Wars are fun!!! :D

Is an invasion really a war? What if I benefit the community over there? :thinking:

Then you'll at least do us a favor and convince us why you actually are INTJ:D

Even I don't know why I am an INTJ; that's rather like asking why I exist. It's self-defining.
If you are wondering whether I am an INTJ in the first place, I don't why I should bother trying to prove it to you. Beyond the test results, my impression that the INTJ description fits me best and the fact that I seem to survive on the INTJ forum, what more could you want?