• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I an INFP or am I just a suppressed version of another type?

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been considering the functions of INFP, ENFP and ISFP, and even ISTJ to be somewhat like me at times. A majority of school life I was all tensed up and was generally the type to get asked whether I was "high?" but also get asked "why" I "was acting so depressed" or to "lighten up". I feel like at times I lose sight of the big picture, and most of all school I'm depressed due to me feeling as though I have "given in" to being a quiet person, a lifeless individual, that people could live without. I also had the urge to kill myself a couple of times because I was so depressed but that would only mean the loss of a son to my mother or my father who I know love me.

I've also noticed the archetype for an INFP being a person who heals instead of champions over. I've had fallouts with other types, and spilled profanity when I've gotten angry to the point of some physical violence (mostly with my family who were the ones made way for that sort of environment). Like I remember hitting someone after calling him a vulgar c-word or f-word and threatening to kick his a-word, when he started talking about 'doing it' with my sister to get on my nerves.

I've also had an encounter with some random hill billy like kids who were shouting at random strangers with profanity, so I shouted at them with profanity so they'd stop. They tried to get me to fight them but I didn't but I would have I guess, since it matched who I was 'being' at that moment. What I mean by all this is, I've had the urge to disregard feeling and champion over people for the situation's sake and values' sake I guess.

At times people can really get me angry, especially people who like to be cold and hard and logical straight in my face whenever I make a mistake, and I'm not afraid of yelling out at them or being "mean" which is something I've been accused of. This makes me wonder whether I'm INFP, because I've hurt people very deeply when it comes to emotions, but I feel that shame of doing it. And I feel as though I'm just narcissistic for being like that. That's not very INFP to cause conflict as response to the immense pain I feel, for random things that I wish I couldn't.

This also reflects off as a stark pessimism for humanity and neuroticism, where I get monotone-version over everything and reflect nothing but concentrated negativity. I would also allow myself to 'hate' on things that shouldn't be hated merely for the sake of it, in a social situation. Like I would be all scornful of some kids talking a bit loudly on the bus.

Practically the most annoying thing would be how instead of being an INFP and caving into myself, I get on the offense in all the wrong ways, and show scorn or bitterness and talk profanity or cold words that people notice out to be waayy to harsh as well.... if you get what i mean. :( (a good example was where I said "hilly billy kids" almost out of habit or something, instead of just calling them randoms or whatever... and an example of me doing unINFP things out of habit, is like when I use directing communication whenever something small comes up, like a guy starts tapping on my chair, who's sitting behind me, I'd turn around, tense up and go "Could you stop that... please" coldly... )

Am I a healthy MBTI type or am I alone on this one?

Burger King

It looks like your argument is "I is an <insert trait that goes against your views of the type>, therefore I not <insert type>. Well, my good man, here are two notable INFPs. They are both notorious assholes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Cobain

No comment on your actual type though. I am afraid to ask you how you determined your type...for fear of facepalm. Enneagram wise you're probably e4 or e6.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Did an online test a couple of hundreds of times. Then I read up on the all the functions, and various people's interpretations of those functions and adjusted to the order I thought was right, by doing deductive thinking on my own thinking itself, which I thought was a tiring process.

After that I got other people to validate little quirks I have (like taking ages to talk - apparently it seems as though I'm always thinking of something to say), to see whether or not I had determined my type or not, to the type that I did. My visual learning style is definite visual, but I'm always doubting it. I feel as though sometimes I'm as blunt as a sensor when it comes to the big picture, so I'm considering I could be an S type. Considering ISFP has the functions Fi, Se, etc. And that really hurt, in this sharp instigating way, when you judged me to have not determined my type properly. :'( no joke.

Burger King

I've been considering the functions of INFP, ENFP and ISFP, and even ISTJ to be somewhat like me at times. A majority of school life I was all tensed up and was generally the type to get asked whether I was "high?" but also get asked "why" I "was acting so depressed" or to "lighten up". I feel like at times I lose sight of the big picture, and most of all school I'm depressed due to me feeling as though I have "given in" to being a quiet person, a lifeless individual, that people could live without. I also had the urge to kill myself a couple of times because I was so depressed but that would only mean the loss of a son to my mother or my father who I know love me.

This is either an introverted thing or an introverted thing combined with intuition (INXX). The INXX types tend to be in their heads a lot, thus not very aware of how they're being perceived by everyone else. You're definitely not an Fe type though, that much is obvious. Fi types are much more self-absorbed with their emotional states in comparison with Fe types who value the emotional temperature of the "group" or "other." In other words Fe types are better at feigning "everything is alright" for the sake of social harmony.

At times people can really get me angry, especially people who like to be cold and hard and logical straight in my face whenever I make a mistake, and I'm not afraid of yelling out at them or being "mean" which is something I've been accused of. This makes me wonder whether I'm INFP, because I've hurt people very deeply when it comes to emotions, but I feel that shame of doing it. And I feel as though I'm just narcissistic for being like that. That's not very INFP to cause conflict as response to the immense pain I feel, for random things that I wish I couldn't.

I don't know why you think this is "not very INFP." Maybe not the ideal for an INFP, but I've seen INFPs flip their shit on several occasions. They're typically easy-going, but once something is crossed, a value, usually ones they are unaware of, they will get aggressive. This is all textbook Fi lashing out. Enneagram plays an important role as well. The typically moody INFP tend to be among the reactive types (e4 or e6). Although reactive in the context of the enneagram refers to a sort of mirroring from the other, not just emotional volatility. They seek a reaction from others.

After that I got other people to validate little quirks I have (like taking ages to talk - apparently it seems as though I'm always thinking of something to say), to see whether or not I had determined my type or not, to the type that I did. My visual learning style is definite visual, but I'm always doubting it. I feel as though sometimes I'm as blunt as a sensor when it comes to the big picture, so I'm considering I could be an S type. Considering ISFP has the functions Fi, Se, etc. And that really hurt, in this sharp instigating way, when you judged me to have not determined my type properly. :'( no joke.

Can you talk more about the bolded? Maybe give an example of how you are "blunt as a sensor."

Anyways, when unhealthy, people typically go into function loops. For an INFP it's Fi-Si and for an ISFP it's Fi-Ni. I suggest reading up on those, seeing as it seems you've been down the unhealthy phase quite a bit. I'm not sure if you've seen these yet, but this site has some helpful info:

INFP: http://www.personalitynation.com/infp/3188-infp-jungian-cognitive-function-analysis.html
ISFP: http://www.personalitynation.com/isfp/3578-isfp-jungian-cognitive-function-analysis.html

Last edited:

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is either an introverted thing or an introverted thing combined with intuition (INXX). The INXX types tend to be in their heads a lot, thus not very aware of how they're being perceived by everyone else. You're definitely not an Fe type though, that much is obvious. Fi types are much more self-absorbed with their emotional states in comparison with Fe types who value the emotional temperature of the "group" or "other." In other words Fe types are better at feigning "everything is alright" for the sake of social harmony.

I don't know why you think this is "not very INFP." Maybe not the ideal for an INFP, but I've seen INFPs flip their shit on several occasions. They're typically easy-going, but once something is crossed, a value, usually ones they are unaware of, they will get aggressive. This is all textbook Fi lashing out. Enneagram plays an important role as well. The typically moody INFP tend to be among the reactive types (e4 or e6). Although reactive in the context of the enneagram refers to a sort of mirroring from the other, not just emotional volatility. They seek a reaction from others.

Can you talk more about the bolded? Maybe give an example of how you are "blunt as a sensor."

Anyways, when unhealthy, people typically go into function loops. For an INFP it's Fi-Si and for an ISFP it's Fi-Ni. I suggest reading up on those, seeing as it seems you've been down the unhealthy phase quite a bit. I'm not sure if you've seen these yet, but this site has some helpful info:

INFP: http://www.personalitynation.com/infp/3188-infp-jungian-cognitive-function-analysis.html
ISFP: http://www.personalitynation.com/isfp/3578-isfp-jungian-cognitive-function-analysis.html

Yeah, I guess I'm pretty INFP from what you said. And also from the cognitive functions, I can't relate to not being able to assign feeling to theoretical situations, which are some of the situations that can give me the most 'feeling' if anything. I sometimes 'go with the flow' and disregard the future, in social situations with family and friends, like for the 'could be's' of the moment. I guess I thought this was me being ISFP, but me being ignorant and disregarding the moment could just be my ESTJ stress mode.

Maybe when I let stess get to me to a point, where I totally disregard who I am just so I 'could be', 'should be' and 'should do', while not really being myself, is where I go wrong. I thought that line in the personalitynation link really helped, that said "even if that goes against the commonly accepted morality of all of your close family and friends and anyone you respect. I don't want to know what you should feel--I want to know what you do feel.", which can clear things up for where I 'go wrong'.

I guess I think I go wrong in many situations, but I'm also not totally blind to when situations go in a way that point to me being 'not who I am' or 'unhealthy' in one way or the other, even if that means judging that situation by its result. So I do still think even with being detrimental to my own actions, that I've been caught in some sort of unhealthy habits of thinking that's affecting me really . :/

(Oh and blunt as a sensor being, I'm not trying to say sensors are blunt, I mean that like I personally feel like I can't have this good insight to the future like an INFP would have, considering the above, where I totally disregard it when some pressure comes in, and changes the person I exhibit to the world)

Standuble

I do believe you are an INFP as the tests mentioned. I myself am an INFP and you sound a lot like me. INFPs are not fluffy bunnies or happy fairies. They have a warrior's heart, it's just usually encased in passiveness and sensitivity. INFPs are perfectly capable of being cruel especially if they find themselves valuing the prospect of being a complete asshole at a certain point in time.

Also the notion of the INFP as the "healer" can raise a few eyebrows. It's not casting magic spells or anything. I think it's nothing more than the art of considering the possibilities and reflecting on the human condition (side effect of Fi use.) By expressing our past dilemmas (the situations and solutions that were involved) by suggesting possibilities of what could be wrong (taking variables which are different between the two situations) and listening intently we can guide a troubled person to look within themselves and suggest ideas they have not thought of. Whether the person can be "healed" of whatever inner conflict or emotional trauma that troubles them depends on their willingness to reflect and acknowledge any insights the INFP may have made which they were not aware of. Of course this sometimes requires a firm criticism of telling them what they don't want to hear and sometimes outright callousness to shock them out of their problem. Whilst immediately detrimental in the short term it can bring long term benefits and changes.

Of course there is the whole INFP - Ethical Sociopath shabang. If you're taking out targets and you're kicking ass and taking names for no reason other than what is justifiable in your own value system then you're probably IFP anyway.

Take what I written as you see fit.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I do believe you are an INFP as the tests mentioned. I myself am an INFP and you sound a lot like me. INFPs are not fluffy bunnies or happy fairies. They have a warrior's heart, it's just usually encased in passiveness and sensitivity. INFPs are perfectly capable of being cruel especially if they find themselves valuing the prospect of being a complete asshole at a certain point in time.

Also the notion of the INFP as the "healer" can raise a few eyebrows. It's not casting magic spells or anything. I think it's nothing more than the art of considering the possibilities and reflecting on the human condition (side effect of Fi use.) By expressing our past dilemmas (the situations and solutions that were involved) by suggesting possibilities of what could be wrong (taking variables which are different between the two situations) and listening intently we can guide a troubled person to look within themselves and suggest ideas they have not thought of. Whether the person can be "healed" of whatever inner conflict or emotional trauma that troubles them depends on their willingness to reflect and acknowledge any insights the INFP may have made which they were not aware of. Of course this sometimes requires a firm criticism of telling them what they don't want to hear and sometimes outright callousness to shock them out of their problem. Whilst immediately detrimental in the short term it can bring long term benefits and changes.

Of course there is the whole INFP - Ethical Sociopath shabang. If you're taking out targets and you're kicking ass and taking names for no reason other than what is justifiable in your own value system then you're probably IFP anyway.

Take what I written as you see fit.

now that was really reassuring. Thanks, it all fits, I'm INFP... and I guess I remember doing that thing about giving yourself Si-based constructive criticism, a year or two back but I think I've furthered from a healthy mentality ever since then. It's gotten harder ever since to get back to it, which I think is mainly due to me realizing "where my life's going" at this point negatively, and also not having any time set aside for just relaxing or not having a clouded mind in general.

Arkigos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
xxx
I agree IxFP for sure.. but I am not seeing an indication of secondary Ne. Where is the abstraction? Where is the hyperbole?

You told those stories essentially how they happened, with details and a hint of cynicism. You seem to strive for experiences and audacity. You seem angstful, but that isn't necessarily Ne.

Your recollection of events is classic "and then this is what happened and this is how I felt about it and then here is what I did.." loop. INFP doesn't tend to talk like this. They will tend to give as little physical detail as is needed to get to what is really on their mind: the concepts / connections / ideals floating around in their brain. Thus they will speak in generalities, abstracts, and hyperboles. Kurt and John were assholes to be sure.. but they were pretentiously high-minded and hyperbolic assholes. You don't strike me as that. You strike me as much more connected with people and events in a real way, less high-minded, way. You seem much more like the other 90% of musicians and artistic deconstructive (cynical) re-interpreting folk: ISFP.

Your dissociation with society, angst, rebellion are more ISFP traits than INFP (though both can manifest this way). Creativity and emotionally anti-social behavior is also usually a better indicator of ISFP than INFP (though, again, it could be either or neither). Further, I am always seeing very intelligent ISFPs being mistyped INFP. You sound much more like an intelligent ISFP in a bad psychological state than an INFP.

Tell me... would you call yourself an idealist (one who gets lost imagining a fairy-tale ideal) or are you a cynic (deconstructing perceptions and reinterpreting them based on their real value)? A good way to judge this is looking at the past. An INFP will see the past mystically (it was all meant to be! it was horrible but now I see where it guided me) where an ISFP might see it cynically (ah, whatever.. it happened. Shit happens.)

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I agree IxFP for sure.. but I am not seeing an indication of secondary Ne. Where is the abstraction? Where is the hyperbole? You told those stories essentially how they happened, with details and a hint of cynicism. You seem to strive for experiences and audacity. You seem angstful, but that isn't necessarily Ne. Your recollection of events is classic "and then this is what happened and this is how I felt about it and then here is what I did.." loop. INFP doesn't tend to talk like this. They will tend to give as little physical detail as is needed to get to what is really on their mind: the concepts / connections / ideals floating around in their brain. Thus they will speak in generalities, abstracts, and hyperboles. Kurt and John were assholes to be sure.. but they were pretentiously high-minded and hyperbolic assholes. You don't strike me as that. You strike me as much more connected with people and events in a real way, less high-minded, way. You seem much more like the other 90% of musicians and artistic deconstructive (cynical) re-interpreting folk: ISFP. Your dissociation with society, angst, rebellion are more ISFP traits than INFP (though both can manifest this way). Creativity and emotionally anti-social behavior is also usually a better indicator of ISFP than INFP (though, again, it could be either or neither). Further, I am always seeing very intelligent ISFPs being mistyped INFP. You sound much more like an intelligent ISFP in a bad psychological state than an INFP. Tell me... would you call yourself an idealist (one who gets lost imagining a fairy-tale ideal) or are you a cynic (deconstructing perceptions and reinterpreting them based on their real value)? A good way to judge this is looking at the past. An INFP will see the past mystically (it was all meant to be! it was horrible but now I see where it guided me) where an ISFP might see it cynically (ah, whatever.. it happened. Shit happens.)

Sorry if this is really late. But I really appreciate how you've actually understood my situation. I'm getting better than I was before, and realizing things for what they are, the positive possibilities, rather than what I've made them, - the 'negative reality of things'. And you've pinpointed exactly what I was talking about, because I don't honestly have a clue what my secondary function is. I start to think about my own thinking, and then this points to me generating possibilities at times, having a love for creating things (like ever since I was small I would love to create something, whether it was a circuit, or whether my teddy bear could talk to me.). I've noticed I've been doing this thing or having this urge/instigation patting on the back of my mind, that always goes "this will set this scene" or "If I do this, this is what is created". I'd be so in denial that my mind says that, that I would push that hand away, by telling myself that I'm talking to the teddy bear, because it has emotions of its own, it may come to life, etc. rather than the "patting" that suggests that talking to the teddy bear would make me a better person, or a more "cute kid" who talks to teddy bears. The angsty thing could just be because I'm 17 maybe?

Ah crap I wrote a lot but my internet connection screwed up, this happens all the time.

I'll outline some things I think make me INFP and ISFP, so you can decide for me maybe? (I really appreciate it)

ISFP

- recalling experiences that are dark, and contrasting them against the present.

- having this sort of 'let's set the scene' attitude sometimes; like I would follow through with an idea or concept someone thought up.

- as of recent, constantly playing songs that describe how i feel in my head, (usually ones i've heard recently) to alleviate stress.

- Ni symbols to communicate messages. "Hide ourselves" stuff like that. etc

- saying things to get a reaction ( i hear this is an Ni thing ). Like even when i know someone understands better, i would say something to just wip them off. This is mostly when I'm under a lot of, i mean a ton of stress. Me writing "hillbilly kid" as a firm stance on my freedom of expression or feeling of not fully communicating how they acted.

- sacrifice harmony, if i think something or someone is disturbing it. I would go out of my way to make it right... but I have a strong urge and fear to not do this. And it's more natural for me to contemplate how badly i've been screwed. The weird thing is, I do this in fear of the possibilities of how badly I would have felt by 'not acting'.

- I can relate to eminem aha? . sometimes i would narrowmindedly close off other people's respect as i do things for the scene or moment, look back at how much I screwed up and then regret how much i did that, and regret being who i am.

- having this fear that i'm as 'blunt as a sensor', and not being able to see the big picture, which i've always thought out to be my better point. That i could bring people to the bigger picture when needed. Like sometimes i would get uber-depressed, when I would have to be reminded of the bigger picture, whenever someone would go 'okay you're overcomplicating things, this is like this and this is like this.." and it solves everything.

- looking around a room taking everything in, intuitively knowing how people feel just by the way they word their words, and move their faces.

- sometimes in hurtful situations, taking the experiences of how my abusers have abused me and turning it back on people. But i've heavily regretted this moments, and it's only in extreme cases of stress and overthinking.

- sometimes having unwanted racist or stereotypical thoughts. Like that are very S-based. but i'm sure there's a psychological condition attached to my OCD that's attached to that.

INFP

- looking through my wardrobe to see if I can get 'good clothes to wear' but always self-deprecating for the sake of being humble. And saying 'who cares what you wear'.
- when i said i followed through with a concept someone thought up... that someone would mostly be me.

- stopping fights, hating them... being the mediator, and being a martyr. Like I would get beat up as long as a conflict stops. I go into to talk back to those "hillbilly kids", as a martyr.

- constant ideas of whenever people talk or whenever i talk that there is a certain medium that is never being reached that should be reached. an ideal. Mostly concerning what they say, life sometimes feels and looks very stupid to me. (I usually never express this stuff though, I'm always very shy and positive on the inside; emotionless on the outside - and people have always reminded me that i'm like this)

- understanding/feeling disgust in the face of ESFPs, and ISFPs people who don't appreciate ideas (not all isfps, etc.), and just 'go on' with their lives with no chance of change. they also happen to bully people for who they are because they fail to understand them, fail to understand 'why'.

- randomly leaving a table, and leaving everyone confused at the table the other day, because the guy next to me wasn't treating me 'right'.

- loving poetry and philosophy. expanding thinking itself. dwelling into the deeper repititions of humanity, seeing the beauty in the unnoticed and the unknown. Knowing the fact that words can't really describe those things as well as they could.

- writing this stuff all over again, multiple times... cause it didn't feel right or what i was saying wasn't what i needed to say or 'wasn't right'. etc.

- having a fear of heights at tall open spaces because i just know all the ways i could fall, trip, etc. All the imaginative fears of staying in the dark, or whenever i have a shower i imagine sharks swimming around me and i freak out. I have these other irrational OCD fears like leaving the microwave at an even number or locking the doors or constantly checking them (in fear of some murderer entering my house).

- I can relate to extreme deep levels of depression, the destruction of self-worth, and generally scavenging on the essence of nothing having worth in general or at least me of all things having no worth in general.

- i look up to people like louis ck and bill hicks because they can communicate what i think on such a deep level but out loud and with rationality and enough pride to make people understand their viewpoint.

- i always try to look at other people's viewpoints and at least realize when i'm not considering their viewpoints eventually. I put myself in other people's shoes.

- I'm extremely awkward with emotions and clamp up near good looking girls.

- I remember as a kid, and this gets to me sometimes now as well.. i would run out of a room whenever i was alone or isolated because i could imagine all the ways i could be attacked or traumatized etc by spirits, or 'other things i dare not name' :p :D

- i love harmony and that's what i work toward, and peace and inspiration above all. It's just when reality hits I feel like rebelling, but also not for the sake of it, but with the feeling of inspiration and dreams that other people would have unnoticed, in mind.

- actually being an ISFP, i mean the idea by itself, excites me.

- sometimes not even remembering things for what they are, but filling in the holes of memory with 'what would connect' or seem to work. Or is this an Ni thing, as I can kinda guess how you would react to the things that i write. :S

- having a monotonous voice and faceless face, as i don't want to be hurt no more. :/

- having a love for people like ENFJS, INTPs and INFJs who step back to understand my pov. ESFPs i feel like they can relate, some of the better ones, but that's probs only cause they watched star wars and got off the fact that luke skywalker's a shy INFP, aha or something like that. Yeah I have really pessimistic thoughts, but they can be true sometimes. I hate them overall. I hate myself a lot.

- Generating new possibilities or new ways of looking at things. This is something people can even 'know me for'. the idea of creating itself thrills me.

I'm a very screwed individual indeed. I have this sort of Se-Ne retardation that I can't get out of my head. Please help me. :unsure: please.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry that's me rambling. And going on a random bus ride, following the 'signs' and loving where life will guide me to.

deconstructing perceptions and reinterpreting them based on their real value is something I do when I'm stressed out. I'm a dreamer, I always get lost and I wake up to someone yelling in my face for not paying attention to reality. I'm really shy at times, and so self conscious but sometimes some people make me realize something and it turns out I wasn't being as self-conscious as I should have been (this can happen when I chase the moment). I dunno man it's like I'm drifting between two separate worlds constantly. Neither of which is letting me in. I have dreams of all sorts of things. One peculiar thing I dream about when listening to music is that I'm onstage singing, and expressing myself. Is that ISFP or what? ... i dunno.

Arkigos

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
xxx
Sorry that's me rambling. And going on a random bus ride, following the 'signs' and loving where life will guide me to.

deconstructing perceptions and reinterpreting them based on their real value is something I do when I'm stressed out. I'm a dreamer, I always get lost and I wake up to someone yelling in my face for not paying attention to reality. I'm really shy at times, and so self conscious but sometimes some people make me realize something and it turns out I wasn't being as self-conscious as I should have been (this can happen when I chase the moment). I dunno man it's like I'm drifting between two separate worlds constantly. Neither of which is letting me in. I have dreams of all sorts of things. One peculiar thing I dream about when listening to music is that I'm onstage singing, and expressing myself. Is that ISFP or what? ... i dunno.

I won't address everything directly... but your list of ISFP traits was spot on but I'd say your list of INFP traits were either stereotypes or actually just IxFP traits.

I am sure you are an ISFP but I have learned to never really try to type an ISFP because most ISFPs can be described as a "greased fox on a slip-n-slide" when it comes to definitions or categorizations. I'll let you live in your world of interpretations and reconsiderations and deconstructions because THAT IS YOUR GIFT.

Instead of dwelling on the specifics can I just suggest you really work on developing your poetry and art. It's very clear from your posts that your mind lives in a very interpretive place and while that can be very difficult for you it can also be a great gift. Your forum reply was one step away from real poetry. I very much suggest you write poetry, songs, art in any medium... just CREATE. If you are an ISFP, your functions are like planets aligned to make you a creator of art (which takes many forms). Develop that.. own it. Even if you an INFP this is true.

As I read what you wrote I kept thinking... this person has to be a poet/artist of some kind.... it's just a matter of finding your medium. I'd love to see what you are able to create.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I won't address everything directly... but your list of ISFP traits was spot on but I'd say your list of INFP traits were either stereotypes or actually just IxFP traits.

I am sure you are an ISFP but I have learned to never really try to type an ISFP because most ISFPs can be described as a "greased fox on a slip-n-slide" when it comes to definitions or categorizations. I'll let you live in your world of interpretations and reconsiderations and deconstructions because THAT IS YOUR GIFT.

Instead of dwelling on the specifics can I just suggest you really work on developing your poetry and art. It's very clear from your posts that your mind lives in a very interpretive place and while that can be very difficult for you it can also be a great gift. Your forum reply was one step away from real poetry. I very much suggest you write poetry, songs, art in any medium... just CREATE. If you are an ISFP, your functions are like planets aligned to make you a creator of art (which takes many forms). Develop that.. own it. Even if you an INFP this is true.

As I read what you wrote I kept thinking... this person has to be a poet/artist of some kind.... it's just a matter of finding your medium. I'd love to see what you are able to create.

I love the part where you said my writing's like poetry. :D :)

I tried using my Se today tbh, I found a different and simple sort of comfort being in tune. The sad thing is at the end of the day I felt like I was just being very general with everything, and taking life as 'it is' felt really boring for me. Like, I don't know but deep down inside I resent it, with such great fervor. When I'm too in tune I feel like I'm ditching some part of me, almost as if I'm giving into external pressures, to a point where I don't even know who I am anymore once it's done.

I read an article on Si, and that's what I felt I could relate to heavily, for example; every time I wrote out my experiences I was going "okay this may be useful for people, since they don't really actually know me, and this is as realworld I can get". Which directly points to ISFP I guess aha. But yeah I guess I've always been the one to deconstruct, and reconsider, and make my own changeable yet conclusive statements on things.

Anyway, I will take you up on the poetry thanks for that :). I've always heard poetry was for INFPs and music was for ISFPs. Tbh, I listen to music mainly to interpret, rather than just experience sounds. Like I know people like that, they also do a lot of sports, and I really resent how they can only look at 'what is' and just go on with their lives, without seeing the all the things they're leaving behind. I dunno, being INFP felt like I belonged as a socially awkward individual somewhere, but now that you've said ISFP, it actually feels much more like I'm only one of many of those people who just 'go on with their lives' and don't really care and just rebel for the sake of it or just waste their lives with false praise and it feels like I'm going to turn into one of them without even noticing. :huh: It feels very lonely. :/ sorry to be a hassle.

ps - i have a feeling you maybe interpreting (if i am an infp that is) my Fi-Si loop, as being 'concise' with realistic detail.
"ISFPs often can't assign any real meaning to a theoretical ideal until they're right in the middle of an actual situation that makes it real for them. When asked, "How would you feel if xyz happened?", often the ISFP answer is, "I don't know--it's never happened and it's not happening now. So who cares?"". I'm also very self-deprecating and deep (what people practically know me for at times).. and I would find it thrilling to express ideas around why/how xyz happened. + I'm usually confronted by reality when I have all sorts of ideals, and then i tense up and become negative/rebellious. Not that I can't predict what a situation would theoretically be like. I love abstract more than practical. Like for example, I always need to find meaning behind poetry to see it's worth. And I have really complicated stressed philosophical ideals/ideas that i don't think much ISFPs would find comfort in . :/ tbh...

Last edited:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And I have really complicated stressed philosophical ideals/ideas that i don't think much ISFPs would find comfort in . :/ tbh...

Only when you obliterate from your mind judgments as ignorant and stereotypical as these will you finally be able to find your true personality. Personally I am inclined to think that [MENTION=16710]Arkigos[/MENTION] was right about you being ISFP. I would even speculate that ISxPs could be far more philosophical than many of the ENxx types. Just look at my signature if you want to see some indulgence in some fun philosophy and if I can and you can so can everyone else. Of course though your typing decision ultimately rests in your hands so I won't go on for too long.

edit - The more I think about it I'm starting to think the ISFP judgment may be off base as you don't strike me as particularly cool or dynamic like most SPs so perhaps INFP really is your type. Don't take my word for it too seriously though as I don't even have a definitive conclusion on my own type.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Only when you obliterate from your mind judgments as ignorant and stereotypical as these will you finally be able to find your true personality. Personally I am inclined to think that [MENTION=16710]Arkigos[/MENTION] was right about you being ISFP. I would even speculate that ISxPs could be far more philosophical than many of the ENxx types. Just look at my signature if you want to see some indulgence in some fun philosophy and if I can and you can so can everyone else. Of course though your typing decision ultimately rests in your hands so I won't go on for too long.

edit - The more I think about it I'm starting to think the ISFP judgment may be off base as you don't strike me as particularly cool or dynamic like most SPs so perhaps INFP really is your type. Don't take my word for it too seriously though as I don't even have a definitive conclusion on my own type.

It may be something like a tertiary loop. And that's very true. Would you assign that trait to being 'unhealthy' because if it is unhealthy than I'm in some sort of tertiary loop right? What I meant by the philosophical ideas thing is that I always see ISFP info on how they never see the point to seeing the face behind or the possibilities. While I never see the point in seeing 'what is', i find more comfort in 'what was'. That's why I always write in Si past experiences mode when I list all this negative stuff that my character has accumulated.

Other than that, using Se and accepting that my environment for all its detail, gives me this sort of headache and I feel really emotionally uncomfortable. It doesn't feel right knowing I'm an ISFP at all. I sure loosen up, and get out of that 'ISTJ' mode that I'm usually in (to an acute degree) though it never feels like I'm comfortable in that skin.

Yeah, I know how stereotypical that is, I try to be very accepting of people (even overly try - according to others). Though, if you're saying I'm one thing, the only evidence I have to back it up with is who I was in my past. It feels like you're threatening my character for some reason because all this time I thought I was INFP and it felt as though I belonged as a person.

So which do you think ISFP or INFP? I don't feel comfortable as an Se-user. The ways I convey myself never feel genuine. Looking back at what I write can give me better insight than before.

edit - I don't know why but I think I've been very prejudiced lately, like you said, and I've noticed that when I start to imagine all the ways that other people are similar and equal (and those thoughts that I would have at first thought obvious), things look clearer. And they are now beginning to alleviate a lot of stress for some reason. The more of that type of stress gets alleviated I actually feel more inclined to consider everything more as I want of it, rather than what it is. Like I feel iNtuition break through, as odd as that may sound...

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Based on the above information you have just given us in responce to all of the earlier quotes if what you said is true I'm inclined to think that you are indeed INFP.

Here's why. For one I don't see you as being in an unhealthy loop. Such explanations have been used in the past to label me as an ISTP in a TiNi loop in a failed effort to justify why a sensor could come across as intuitive even though they supposedly aren't one. Also this lack of awareness you mention combined with a focus on history is Si for sure rather than Se. And yes I can relate to your fascination with what was as it always seems that in the past a certain ideal state existed that we wish to bring back into realization though the closest we can get to that is to reimagine it. My last point is just like a said before that you may not be say normal enough or blend in well enough with the crowd to be SP as I know they can follow the stupid multitudes like insects without question or deviation whereas you say you just detach yourself from all of this and withdraw into your dreams. Your reference point seems far more imaginative than realistic from what I have gathered so like I said at the start of this quote if I had to choose right now it would be INFP.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Based on the above information you have just given us in responce to all of the earlier quotes if what you said is true I'm inclined to think that you are indeed INFP.

Here's why. For one I don't see you as being in an unhealthy loop. Such explanations have been used in the past to label me as an ISTP in a TiNi loop in a failed effort to justify why a sensor could come across as intuitive even though they supposedly aren't one. Also this lack of awareness you mention combined with a focus on history is Si for sure rather than Se. And yes I can relate to your fascination with what was as it always seems that in the past a certain ideal state existed that we wish to bring back into realization though the closest we can get to that is to reimagine it. My last point is just like a said before that you may not be say normal enough or blend in well enough with the crowd to be SP as I know they can follow the stupid multitudes like insects without question or deviation whereas you say you just detach yourself from all of this and withdraw into your dreams. Your reference point seems far more imaginative than realistic from what I have gathered so like I said at the start of this quote if I had to choose right now it would be INFP.

That's really interesting. I don't feel like an ISFP type at all, I can just tell, from the information on function description and how they're explained. Maybe I'm in an Fi-Si loop? Old feelings attached to the past that bring about past experiences to the forefront, pretending they are Ne.

I'm glad to hear that... I have detached myself, and sometimes when I think I'm paying attention, I have a sensor point out something that was right under my nose the whole time (and it's usually a detail that changes everything...). I always question my type at times, when I get new data at least... so that's maybe INFP as well.

To be honest, I'm lucky if I blend in. :D . I've always been called a 'smartass' by people who try to insult me, because I can turn their words back on them, without any real intellect :D .

I think there is a sort of mysticism in the past, but I guess I have to come to terms with the mysticism of the future, other people, other people's perspectives. I haven't been doing this recently, but I reckon I did this a fair bit, a while ago, and I think this is why I'm in an Fi-Si loop.

Thank you for your awesome analysis as well.