• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

P vs J

sgtpepper

OK. i need help.
i have adhd but does that automatically make me a P?
i mean i have many thoughts at once, always keep my plans open ended til the las minute etc.
BUT when i do organize/plan etc i become anal! i'm such a perfectionist. i would much rather make plans with friends a week in advance and them not change but due to digital communication (cell phones, aim etc) society has evolved to be more P in general. so i think i have just adapted and switched over to the other side... does my capacity to adapt to the american P lifestyle itself mean that i'm a P?
is it possible to have adhd and be a J?
am i a repressed J?
please help me out!

Alesia

MBTI Type
INFP
I think you can have ADHD and be a J, but not as likely.

If you have attention deficit difficulties and are hyperactive, those two factors tend to lead to impulsivity and inability to keep focused to keep to a schedule. J's tend to go by schedules, by the way.

From your description you sound like a P. You said "when" you do plan. That sound like you don't plan very much.

Why does this bother you? Why would you think you are a repressed J? Is there someone in your life telling you that's the way you're "supposed" to be?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Depends on what you mean by J/P. Under MBTI systems, all introverted perceiving types (IP) lead with a judging function (Ti/Fi) and all IJs lead with a perceiving function (Si/Ni). The auxiliary has little to nothing to do with what you describe.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm a J that's been diagnosed with ADD. I think most of the MBTI tests are more accurate for determining P or J in sensors. J is harder to quantify in iNtuitives, I guess.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I'm a J that's been diagnosed with ADD. I think most of the MBTI tests are more accurate for determining P or J in sensors. J is harder to quantify in iNtuitives, I guess.
Why?

redacted

i'm also a J that's been diagnosed with ADHD.

if you really want to figure it out, you have to figure out which functions you prefer. you can't measure P vs. J directly.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Because they ask about a lot of concrete, mundane things that are more the domain of SJs than NJs, IMO. An NJ can need to have a rough plan, need closure, feel better after decisions are made, be an abstract sequential thinker, and still come out as a P if their desk is mess, tend not to have routine, and they run late to appointments.

I think of SJs as concrete sequential thinkers, SPs as concrete random thinkers, NPs as abstract random thinkers, and NJs as abstract sequential thinkers. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but if it is accurate, it's not hard to see why there is difficulty in quantifying a sequential preference when it's in the abstract.

redacted

^ i agree. SJs tend to test much more 'J' than NJs. i thought i was a P for over a year...

sgtpepper

how do i know which ones i prefer? is this th Ne Ni distinction? how does explain the J P distinction?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
how do i know which ones i prefer? is this th Ne Ni distinction? how does explain the J P distinction?

J means that your main sensing function is introverted and your main judging function is extroverted, and P means that your main sensing function is extroverted and your main judging function is introverted.

Also, everyone has all four functions. That means that an Ni-type will also have Se somewhere in the lower half, and an Ne type will have Si somewhere in the lower half.

So, Ne versus Ni would tell if you were an intuitive judger (NJ) or an intuitive perceiver (NP). Ni would make thoughts proceed in a linear pattern, while Ne is much more random and makes associations to guide its thinking. Ni is like a straight shot into the dark, while Ne will explore.

Also, because of the S functions in the lower half, NJs are more likely to savor sensations while NPs are more likely to reminisce and analyze their pasts.

Because NJ organization doesn't exist in the physical world, they can look like "P"-types in the most basic sense because they simply don't look organized to an outsider, but there's always a method to their madness. An NP is more likely to be figuring out their method while the madness is in progress.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Because they ask about a lot of concrete, mundane things that are more the domain of SJs than NJs, IMO. An NJ can need to have a rough plan, need closure, feel better after decisions are made, be an abstract sequential thinker, and still come out as a P if their desk is mess, tend not to have routine, and they run late to appointments.

I think of SJs as concrete sequential thinkers, SPs as concrete random thinkers, NPs as abstract random thinkers, and NJs as abstract sequential thinkers. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but if it is accurate, it's not hard to see why there is difficulty in quantifying a sequential preference when it's in the abstract.
Okay, I was just wondering since you originally seemed to group all sensors and all intiuitives. So what you are claiming is between Si dominant and Ni dominant types since there is virtually no difference between the Se/Ne types. That seems quite accurate, although I maintain that type has no bearing on any disorder.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think disorders are just normal traits carried to an abnormal extreme, so there could be some correlation between the presence of certain functions and certain disorders. I would go no further than that, though.