• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My boyfriend: ESTJ or ENTJ?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All types have both S and N functions. But to hinge your entire analysis on how he dresses, whether a bit more splashy or understated, is ridiculous.

The more info the better! She gave quite a bit but it was almost split half and half.

rav3n

The more info the better! She gave quite a bit but it was almost split half and half.
No it's not. He displays more ESTJ than ENTJ traits. Of course the two types can display similar behaviours due to bracketing Te/Fi functions. But how he 'works' and the lack of overview, vision, you name it intuitive quality, he ain't got it, he's more than likely ESTJ.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No it's not. He displays more ESTJ than ENTJ traits. Of course the two types can display similar behaviours due to bracketing Te/Fi functions. But how he 'works' and the lack of overview, vision, you name it intuitive quality, he ain't got it, he's more than likely ESTJ.

The OP describes one a bit more than the other. The ESTJ traits happen to appear at the top of the list. But you can't possibly know which behaviors he displays without getting to know the guy.

I don't have to focus on clothing and fashions either. That was just the first extra tidbit that came to mind. I would also ask if the guy has a strange sense of time. For example, does he tend to over-schedule his day? Does he always think that 30 minutes of work can be accomplished in 15 minutes?

rav3n

The OP describes one a bit more than the other. The ESTJ traits happen to appear at the top of the list. But you can't possibly know which behaviors he displays without getting to know the guy.

I don't have to focus on clothing and fashions either. That was just the first extra tidbit that came to mind. I would also ask if the guy has a strange sense of time. For example, does he tend to over-schedule his day? Does he always think that 30 minutes of work can be accomplished in 15 minutes?
Maybe he's an ESFJ? Anything's possible, right?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe he's an ESFJ? Anything's possible, right?

That was good. Not the idea that anything's possible, but that the ESFJ male tries to merge with the social ideal of masculinity.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why not ESTP?

Third in a tritype series? I would have to know how he responds to others. The ESTP is great at anticipating what others are going to say.

rav3n

Third in a tritype series? I would have to know how he responds to others. The ESTP is great at anticipating what others are going to say.
No. They're great at absorbing here and now and reacting quickly.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No. They're great at absorbing here and now and reacting quickly.

You're denying a valid ESTP trait. Of course they're great at absorbing, AND they are great at anticipating your responses.

rav3n

You're denying a valid ESTP trait. Of course they're great at absorbing, AND they are great at anticipating your responses.
Let's drill down into function theory. What functions do ESTPs have that would allow them to anticipate?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's drill down into function theory. What functions do ESTPs have that would allow them to anticipate?

Se observation and Ti smarts.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Neither is a predictive or forecasting function. Keep going.

I know what you're going to say next by observing things like facial expressions.

rav3n

I know what you're going to say next by observing things like facial expressions.
Se sees (ha ha) the here and now and feeds it to Ti. Ti makes logical sense of what Se has fed it. Neither predicts.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Se sees (ha ha) the here and now and feeds it to Ti. Ti makes logical sense of what Se has fed it. Neither predicts.

I see the here and now and feed it to Ti, that doesn't make me an ESTP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I've pondered that for a bit, and it sounds more like an ISTP process.

rav3n

I see the here and now and feed it to Ti, that doesn't make me an ESTP.
Wut? As an INTP, you have Ne as your aux function. Ne and Ti combined can be somewhat predictive with multiple pathways, after they understand the here and now.

ESTPs are reactionary based on concrete environment feed first and then, subjectively logical thinkers. You're a subjectively logical thinker being fed by an intuitive (synthesizing) function.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wut? As an INTP, you have Ne as your aux function. Ne and Ti combined can be somewhat predictive with multiple pathways, after they understand the here and now.

ESTPs are reactionary based on concrete environment feed first and then, subjectively logical thinkers. You're a subjectively logical thinker being fed by an intuitive (synthesizing) function.

First of all, you got the ESTP process incorrect before. If Se feeds Ti, then that puts Ti first, in that Se serves Ti evidence for a theory or hypothesis, let's say, why the car is putting out so much smoke.

Secondly, this analysis isn't capturing the essence of any personality under question here. Pod'Lair got it right by stating that their version of Se-dom focuses on the enjoyment of the senses, it is not merely engaged in the gathering of information like a computer.