• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram type 1: INTP or INFP or something else?

Chocobo Breeder

Aye, what Mal+ said, I'd like to add that I get the feeling (pure Ne'ing here, nothing you directly said but just the vibe I get with your posts) there are parts of yourself you don't like. Parts that in my opinion aren't dislikable at all.

It might be a good idea to come to terms with who you are before you try to stamp it with a sticker.

Everytype has their advantages and disadvantages, I suppose. But no one type is universally better than the other. The moment you stop worrying about that, is the moment you'll be able to discover your capabilities.

I understand that, but the things I don't like about myself the most revolve around self-discipline and always had since I was a small child. While my mother was always trying to turn me into someone who would be easily be accepted by society, I was always more concerned with my obsessive behaviors and trying to muffle them to be comfortable with myself. I have a lot of shameful obsessive behaviors and they switch from one thing to another, I can't seem to completely be rid of it, which I think is what makes me act like a Type 1.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I understand that, but the things I don't like about myself the most revolve around self-discipline and always had since I was a small child. While my mother was always trying to turn me into someone who would be easily be accepted by society, I was always more concerned with my obsessive behaviors and trying to muffle them to be comfortable with myself. I have a lot of shameful obsessive behaviors and they switch from one thing to another, I can't seem to completely be rid of it, which I think is what makes me act like a Type 1.

That sounds like a 4.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm that makes sense too. :shock:

If you have access to this, check out Riso's Personality Types, type 4 level 6. It sounds like you're trying to climb back up the ladder to higher integration but are stuck at a certain point for now.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That sounds like a 4.

I should add that it all sounds like a 4, from your OP on down. The struggle to improve takes on a 1-ish quality.

Chocobo Breeder

I tried finding it, but this is the best I could do. Is this what you meant?

"Level 6: Gradually think that they are different from others, and feel that they are exempt from living as everyone else does. They become melancholy dreamers, disdainful, decadent, and sensual, living in a fantasy world. Self-pity and envy of others leads to self-indulgence, and to becoming increasingly impractical, unproductive, effete, and precious."

It does fit me in some ways, sometimes I can be self-pitying but it doesn't last too long, and I get very impractical and unproductive in my spare time, but when duty calls I'm always on top of it. My supervisors at work are even considering giving me a higher position. And I'm pretty competitive when it comes to school.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's complicated. I'm aware of emotions through my physical reactions, but it takes a backseat in my mind unless I'm particularly stressed. Often people say things like "What's wrong?" or "Are you angry?" to me based on my facial expressions that I'm not aware of. I don't have a lot of control of my facial expressions at least in this point of my life and they tend to have a mind of their own. I realize only after people bring it up in conversation that I actually do feel angry or stressed or sad for some reason, and it usually takes a long time to get to the bottom of it if I ever do at all. Most of the time I return to being content rather quickly so I just forget about it. Just the other day at work the supervisor asked me to move some things into an area, and I said okay, really I was thinking I'm not sure if this will work and they jumped up and shouted "Oh! I saw that face! If they don't all fit put the rest over there" I feel like I can't hide anything from others, even when it's hidden from myself. And I've read a bagillion INFP and INTP profile descriptions and I always feel like I'm reading what a stalker would write about me when it comes to INTP, but I still relate to some INFP aspects which makes me wonder if I'm some kind of underdeveloped INFP since both Fi and Ti use isn't allowed.

Sounds like inferior Fe again.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tried finding it, but this is the best I could do. Is this what you meant?

"Level 6: Gradually think that they are different from others, and feel that they are exempt from living as everyone else does. They become melancholy dreamers, disdainful, decadent, and sensual, living in a fantasy world. Self-pity and envy of others leads to self-indulgence, and to becoming increasingly impractical, unproductive, effete, and precious."

It does fit me in some ways, sometimes I can be self-pitying but it doesn't last too long, and I get very impractical and unproductive in my spare time, but when duty calls I'm always on top of it. My supervisors at work are even considering giving me a higher position. And I'm pretty competitive when it comes to school.

Those descriptions don't take wings into consideration. Level 6 involves feeling exempt, lack of social and professional skills, and constant self-questioning. That's the high side of 6. Most people don't know that each of the levels have 3 sub-levels.

Chocobo Breeder

Those descriptions don't take wings into consideration. Level 6 involves feeling exempt, lack of social and professional skills, and constant self-questioning. That's the high side of 6. Most people don't know that each of the levels have 3 sub-levels.

Ahh so you think I would be a 4w3?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like inferior Fe again.

Jung didn't know about levels of integration/disintegration. What happens to Fe in the type 4 at level 6, 7, 8, or 9?

Chocobo Breeder

Then they're wrong. Even Jung stated, I believe it was in a youtube interview I saw, that he himself had changed functions over the years.

And I didn't see this, thanks for that! I'll have to look into it :D

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jung didn't know about levels of integration/disintegration. What happens to Fe in the type 4 at level 6, 7, 8, or 9?

I don't know, because I've only read about this system. What happens?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you find yourself in similar situations?

I have a similar relationship with emotions. I've learned to pay attention to them more and not just explode in a childish fit of righteous indignation (maybe you don't do that), but if I'm not in touch with my emotions a lot of the time I'll just be aware of the top layer, or I'll just ignore it and hope it goes away. There are many layers to my emotions I have to really look inside and analyze to see. Sometimes it does just go away. I too return to normal quickly if I can distract myself, and get my endorphins going with a piece of chocolate or music or something. For me the first clue I am feeling negative is a physiological feeling in my gut (solar plexus chakra actually) of tightness like a big knot, or hotness in my chest. Or if I am feeling a sad type of emotion feeling hollow in my chest. If I'm stressed my back starts hurting and that's my first clue.

I'm the belligerent type of inferior Fe, so people are usually aware of it if I'm angry, and I do the hypersensitivity in relationships thing- but I could see you channeling all of your feeling into a few areas like the animal rights issue. It seems to me you are Ti dominant and your feeling only comes into play when you are in a conflict situation, and otherwise you repress it.

If you feel the two types both fit you, you could do as I have done and just nurture both sets of strengths and work on both sets of weaknesses based on the techniques for each type. Here are two good links for this:
http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INTP_per.html

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I too felt like a stalker was writing about me when I read this profile about INTP, and it just seems like it wouldn't be that accurate if it isn't my type. Some people beg to differ, but putting that out there. It seems to me that something that makes me feel unoriginal, when I've felt weird all my life, and explaining every aspect of my weirdness, has to be describing me.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know, because I've only read about this system. What happens?

I'll look for things that sound Fe specifically:

Level 6: "Because they feel different from others, they feel special and exempt from living as everyone else does, free from any obligation to follow the ordinary conventions of social life."

Level 7: They "have fallen behind others in almost every way -- personally, socially, and professionally -- and they feel acutely ashamed."

Level 8: "They are convinced that they are outcasts in life, sacrificial victims, endlessly suffering for what their parents have done to them and what they have done to themselves. They have contributed nothing, and people would be better off without them."

Level 9: "When they are in despair, having rehearsed suicide so often in their imaginations, they may act without any consideration or warning to others."

That last one is as close to an Fe statement as I can find.