• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts on my type version 2.0

What's my type?

• INTP

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • INFP

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • INTJ

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • other, or outside the box

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, looks like I got here a little late... I'm not sure why I've been called to a thread like this. I generally leave these threads to the NTs; they're far better at it than I am. I do have a question that might help, though. Sorry if it's already been asked.

Do you think you could see yourself doing/supporting something which is obviously illogical simply because it held some kind of sentimental value to you? If so, how often does it happen?

Also, (this one will probably piss the NTs off) how frequently do you use emoticons when online?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why so emotionally involved?

exactly. If she was INTP, she would of known enough. She seems to need more feedback and so far only open to INTP, really. That's a sure sign of Fi.

I tried to think I was other types but I was only kidding myself in the end.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, looks like I got here a little late... I'm not sure why I've been called to a thread like this. I generally leave these threads to the NTs; they're far better at it than I am. I do have a question that might help, though. Sorry if it's already been asked.

Do you think you could see yourself doing/supporting something which is obviously illogical simply because it held some kind of sentimental value to you? If so, how often does it happen?

Also, (this one will probably piss the NTs off) how frequently do you use emoticons when online?

No, I never support things which are obviously illogical. At least in my mind.

I don't use them as often as some people- I mostly do on this site. I have more lately because it's fun. I like the funny ones.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That occurred to me also.

All signs point to INTJ.

Cool. I can accept that one, because the only reason I didn't think I was is that I have a problem with procrastination because of a fear of failure (and poor time management skills). But it doesn't make me happy. I'd really like to be super productive and efficient. The times I have succeeded in getting things done I set out to do I've felt really good about myself. And I'm a pretty organized person.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe we should get the opinions of other INFPs like [MENTION=8031]Ginkgo[/MENTION] or [MENTION=14786]Tyrinth[/MENTION] and see what they think about the OP possibly being INFP.

:thumbup:

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION], if you're an INFP you're an exceptionally calm and rational one. In the colloquial 'non Jungian/MBT/etc.' sense. I haven't seen you Fi flame out once so far and your responses to haters is pretty steady and even, you ask for and unemotionally process feedback even if negative, and you keep on topic instead of reacting with personal attacks. <--This last one is beyond many T's here, trust me :wink:

This is coming from an ENFP though so I think my thoughts have 0 weight with "some people."

:cries:

:runs out of the room:

:runs back in:

:yells "YOU'RE ALL MONSTERS?!?!?!":

:runs back out:

:run:

Thanks. I'm thinking the same thing.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:sets podium on fire:

EDIT: Nice save.. :p

Those ENFP's. Such fun. So passionate. :) As Elfboy said, you put the Fi in fire.

(Or is it the fire in Fi? But fire isn't in Fi, it's the other way around...:thinking:)

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I never support things which are obviously illogical. At least in my mind.

I don't use them as often as some people- I mostly do on this site. I have more lately because it's fun. I like the funny ones.

Hmm, I'm leaning against INFP for you, but it's a possibility... I just have an issue with an INFP believing logic is always the way to go, I believe that sometimes your gut feeling is more important than what rigid logic can tell you. Of course, there is a time and place for everything.

The second question was kind of a joke, but as a trend, NFs seem to use emoticons more frequently than NTs.

Honestly though, it doesn't really matter what I think. You know more about yourself than any of us can learn from silly little questions like these. You'll need to decide on your own type, if it happens to be INFP, then go for it. Just my two cents. Good luck though.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Redirected from:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57772&page=25&p=1940771#post1940771

I don't believe you do that, not anymore...
And I don't see how the ensuing part of your post indicates that you're INTP. Not in any way. I see no signs of Ti. None.
Why?
What would Ti look like in this particular situation?

I can easily imagine a Fi-dom saying this. Or any sensible person regardless of type, actually.
I can't.

A lot of people seem to suggest that I should just "admit" or "accept" that I am INFP, and my point is that this doesn't make sense to me.

The question wasn't meant to be taken in such a colloquial sense.
Then how was it meant to be taken?

Also - you simply cannot have both well developed Ti AND Te, for they are functions that operate in opposite directions. That's like saying you can have good Fi and Fe at the same time. Take your pick.
Why not? I think of them as skills, which can be developed. And people can change their preferences and adjust their behavior.

This is a bunch of absolute nonsense. I'm sorry, it really is.

No, it's just subjective and emotional reasoning, which is not the majority of the reasoning I use. I'm just including it. And the part about equally fitting both types so "picking one" I don't think is nonsense- if I have nothing to go on, and I don't contrast with the type I choose, it makes no difference. I now think I do contrast with the type, but I didn't at the moment.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So if what I think in myself to be Ti is really something else, evidently I am misapplying the definition. Which I don't understand and can't see.
"Introverted Thinking: Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision. Analyzing your options using principles like comfort or "Red is a power color.""

Analyzing: yes, I do this.
Categorizing: yes, I am attempting to understand categories and place things in them. My mind works this way. Without categories I would have no way to understand the world.
Evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model: I am evaluating all this according to the principles of typology and cognitive functions and assessing whether my observations of myself fit the framework/model of the functioning of INTP and INFP.
Figuring out the principles on which something works: Well that's the point, isn't it? After believing that I have done this, if I think I am right and I am actually wrong, I must be either misunderstanding the principles or incorrectly applying them.
Checking for inconsistencies: hence comparing myself to the types to see if they fit, getting feedback on my understanding.
Clarifying definitions to get more precision: yeah. This entire post. Most of my posts on here. What is Ti? What is Fi? What are value judgments?

You honestly see none of the definition in my posts? I find that unbelievable. Either there's a big misunderstanding somewhere or I'm crazy.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok, I'm going to believe I know what my type is even if not one single other person on here agrees with me. I would rather be crazy and believe I am sane and be happy than believe I am crazy and be unhappy. That seems to be what it comes down to since I believe the definitions of functions apply to me at least 75% and some people believe it's 0%. Which if true would mean I don't understand the English language and am probably crazy.

That might be completely illogical, but I don't care.

If this annoys you, you'll just have to deal with it. End of story.

But [MENTION=8827]copperfish17[/MENTION], I will entertain your rebuttal to the above 2 posts if you have one.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, I'm going to believe I know what my type is even if not one single other person on here agrees with me. I would rather be crazy and believe I am sane and be happy than believe I am crazy and be unhappy. That seems to be what it comes down to since I believe the definitions of functions apply to me at least 75% and some people believe it's 0%. Which if true would mean I don't understand the English language and am probably crazy.

That might be completely illogical, but I don't care.

If this annoys you, you'll just have to deal with it. End of story.

That is your prerogative and completely fine with me, but I had to laugh out loud because it is probably the most Fi thing I have read on this forum in quite some time!!! :D

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That is your prerogative and completely fine with me, but I had to laugh out loud because it is probably the most Fi thing I have read on this forum in quite some time!!! :D

Yes, I have the right to be wrong! :soapbox: :solidarity: :2ar15: :fairy: :unicorn:

And so are those emoticons. :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Totally fi... Fi when it's being illogical.

We fi users often have fi outbursts until we learn how silly we sound when doing so. Then we learn to sthu until we've totally thought it through and stripped away all the emotion based response and get to the core of our opinion.

This is why I often refuse to talk in the heat of the moment. When I'm aware I'm just having an emotional reaction. I need distance to analyze all of it and figure out exactly where i stand.

Someone just figuring all of this out might be inclined to call that ti but it's not. It's fi that values authentic truth.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah.....I don't really comprehend that sort of response, so....

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why?
What would Ti look like in this particular situation?

In what particular situation? You haven't specified one.

A lot of people seem to suggest that I should just "admit" or "accept" that I am INFP, and my point is that this doesn't make sense to me.

Really? REALLY?
Good grief, and I spent so much time trying to show you that you aren't a Ti user, with technical details. At this point I'm at a loss for words; you simply refuse to be convinced, no matter how many people persistantly point out how INTP simply wouldn't be the best fit for you. Wow. Just... wow.

Then how was it meant to be taken?

I won't be able to get you to understand how it was meant to be taken before you stop making false assumptions about cognitive functions; I will address your false assumptions as I respond to the next part of your post.

Why not? I think of them as skills, which can be developed. And people can change their preferences and adjust their behavior.

So if what I think in myself to be Ti is really something else, evidently I am misapplying the definition. Which I don't understand and can't see.
"Introverted Thinking: Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision. Analyzing your options using principles like comfort or "Red is a power color.""

Analyzing: yes, I do this.
Categorizing: yes, I am attempting to understand categories and place things in them. My mind works this way. Without categories I would have no way to understand the world.
Evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model: I am evaluating all this according to the principles of typology and cognitive functions and assessing whether my observations of myself fit the framework/model of the functioning of INTP and INFP.
Figuring out the principles on which something works: Well that's the point, isn't it? After believing that I have done this, if I think I am right and I am actually wrong, I must be either misunderstanding the principles or incorrectly applying them.
Checking for inconsistencies: hence comparing myself to the types to see if they fit, getting feedback on my understanding.
Clarifying definitions to get more precision: yeah. This entire post. Most of my posts on here. What is Ti? What is Fi? What are value judgments?

You honestly see none of the definition in my posts? I find that unbelievable. Either there's a big misunderstanding somewhere or I'm crazy.

A big fat no to both bolded statements.

The cognitive functions are NOT, repeat, NOT skill sets you can "improve." According to Jung, the functions are the way we relate to the world, the Dominant and Auxiliary are those ways of thinking that we relate to consciously, they are what psychologists call "ego-syntonic".

Let's take your definition/understanding of Ti - a set of 'skills' which includes "analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision; analyzing your options using principles like comfort or "Red is a power color.""

According to your definition, Te users would either not have those skills or not be naturally good at them. Don't try to tell me that our INTJ and ENTJ friends (and all other 6 types of Te users) are incapable of/not naturally competent in performing those 'skills' listed under Ti, for that's simply not true. Do you really think that only Ti users analyze, categorize information, clarify definitions, check for inconsistencies in their arguments etc. (with any degree of proficiency)? Do you really think that non-Ti users are not naturally capable of engaging in those skills and thus have to consciously strive to somehow learn or acquire them? I'm sorry, my INTJ best friend would scoff.

Cognitive functions are 'modes of processing and expressing information/feelings,' and cannot necessarily be categorized in terms of how they tend to 'manifest' in a person. A person who gives a suffering friend a hug isn't necessarily operating on Fe; a person who analyzes and categorizes information etc. isn't necessarily operating on Ti. Fe and Ti COULD manifest that way, but that's not the way to pinpoint which cognitive functions you're actually using.

My point being, the presence of "analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision; analyzing your options using principles" in your post doesn't necessarily indicate a preference for Ti. I'm not saying that they're not there - but everyone does those things regardless of type (with varying degrees of willingness/success, of course; you're not very successful IMO, if successfulness is to be taken as an indication of true preference at all).

No, it's just subjective and emotional reasoning, which is not the majority of the reasoning I use. I'm just including it. And the part about equally fitting both types so "picking one" I don't think is nonsense- if I have nothing to go on, and I don't contrast with the type I choose, it makes no difference. I now think I do contrast with the type, but I didn't at the moment.

I don't even know what to say to this. Emotional reasoning? I have a different name for it: illogicy.

That's all I've got for now; I'll check for clarity later, when I'm done with breakfast (it's 7:50AM in my time zone).

EDIT: I realized I haven't responded to this part of your argument:

And people can change their preferences and adjust their behavior.

No. That's like saying a cat can turn itself into a dog by somehow teaching itself how to bark and wag its tail.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In what particular situation? You haven't specified one.
I said something, and you said you saw no Ti, and I meant what would Ti look like if a Ti user were saying the same thing or answering the same question. As in, if Ti had been in my post, what would it have looked like?

Really? REALLY?
Good grief, and I spent so much time trying to show you that you aren't a Ti user, with technical details. At this point I'm at a loss for words; you simply refuse to be convinced, no matter how many people persistantly point out how INTP simply wouldn't be the best fit for you. Wow. Just... wow.
Yes, this is exactly what a few people have said. I can provide quotes.

Not you, or the other few people who have been really good about explaining things. I only ask for explanation, and a few people have done what I asked, and I'm understanding more.

A big fat no to both bolded statements.

The cognitive functions are NOT, repeat, NOT skill sets you can "improve." According to Jung, the functions are the way we relate to the world, the Dominant and Auxiliary are those ways of thinking that we relate to consciously, they are what psychologists call "ego-syntonic".

Let's take your definition/understanding of Ti - a set of 'skills' which includes "analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision; analyzing your options using principles like comfort or "Red is a power color.""

According to your definition, Te users would either not have those skills or not be naturally good at them. Don't try to tell me that our INTJ and ENTJ friends (and all other 6 types of Te users) are incapable of/not naturally competent in performing those 'skills' listed under Ti, for that's simply not true. Do you really think that only Ti users analyze, categorize information, clarify definitions, check for inconsistencies in their arguments etc. (with any degree of proficiency)? Do you really think that non-Ti users are not naturally capable of engaging in those skills and thus have to consciously strive to somehow learn or acquire them? I'm sorry, my INTJ best friend would scoff.
And this in my opinion, is exactly the problem with MBTI. I think it should be viewed in terms of cognitive function development. To some extent people have a central function order, and this indicates type; but the process is fluid depending on how they have developed their functions. I see what you are saying now, but I disagree with the system because I think it is fundamentally flawed.

Yes, what I'm saying is that people who are not Ti users would not have as much of a preference for the associated behaviors and skills, and would not naturally be as good at them. I could say the same for me in how I fit them:

"INFORMATION-ACCESSING PROCESSES—Perception
Se Extraverted Sensing: Experiencing the immediate context; taking action in the physical world; noticing changes and opportunities for action; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing "what is." "

I suck at experiencing the immediate context. I'm not good at taking action in the physical world. I tend to be oblivious to changes and opportunities for action. I've had to make a conscious point to accumulate experiences, because they don't always just happen- sometimes you have to make them happen. I'm usually oblivious to visible reactions and relevant data. I know about "what is" more intellectually. All this points to me having poorly developed Se, which points to it being a shadow function, i.e. more unconscious. My conscious mind is usually elsewhere.

"Si Introverted Sensing: Reviewing past experiences; "what is" evoking "what was"; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been. Remembering the last time you wore a particular item or the last time you were at a similar event—maybe even remembering how you felt then."

I don't know how good at this I am, but I do it all the time. I store memories in my clothes. I use my past experience to interpret the present and predict the future. Also how things affect me physically is important. So this confirms my observations about Se, suggesting I use Si more.

"Ne Extraverted iNtuiting: Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change "what is" for "what could possibly be"; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts. Noticing the possible meanings of what you might wear: "Wearing this might communicate…" "

I do this all the time. I mean, all the time. Some people probably don't at all, and most people probably use the function less than I do. It's about preference as well as skill. Ne rarely causes me problems. Which suggests to me it is in my first four, along with Si, because I also prefer Si and they go together. The only time I use it in a way which is not optimal is when I am worrying and overreacting and perceiving negative meanings where they aren't. Which I attribute to inferior Fe, or simply stress.

"Ni Introverted iNtuiting: Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing "what will be"; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols. Envisioning yourself in an outfit or maybe envisioning yourself being a certain way."

I do this a lot, but not as much as Ne. So I have more developed Ni than some.

ORGANIZING-EVALUATING PROCESSES—Judgment

"Te Extraverted Thinking: Segmenting; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not. Sorting out different colors and styles; thinking about the consequences "

I can do this, but I'm not as proficient at it as some people. I'm really good at some of these things, some of the time; but if it is combined with Se, or if I have to manage a lot of boring details, I really suck at it. This suggests to me I am not Te dom or aux., because if I was, it would be more natural and I would have more practice and skill.

"Ti Introverted Thinking: Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision. Analyzing your options using principles like comfort or "Red is a power color." "

I do this all the time. It is the only function which doesn't cause me problems. I am better at these things than I am at Te skills, which suggests I use Ti rather than Te. In fact, I feel completely lost if I don't do these things. I have to be clear on definitions. I have to understand the underlying principles of things. If I don't everything falls apart. No, I'm not suggesting that other types don't do these things or aren't good at them, but just as I lack skills with some functions it stands to reason with the diversity of people that some people would lack these skills, and wouldn't be Ti users. This function feels natural and necessary for me. Being Ti dominant or auxiliary fits. These things plus Ne are in my conscious mind more than anything else.

" Fe Extraverted Feeling: Connecting; considering others and the group-organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: "One should or shouldn't wear…" or "People will think…" "

I have a desire to do this, but I'm not good at it all the time. I'm naturally very accommodating. I've developed these skills, because it's important to me to be socially accepted. In fact, I worry about what other people think all the time, suggesting inferior Fe.

" Fi Introverted Feeling: Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for. Evaluating whether you like an outfit or not: "This outfit suits me and feels right." "

I can relate to some of this, but most of the other things I have read about Fi I can't relate to. I'm not good at being sensitive, I'm naturally really bad at comforting people if they are sad. Now I'm sometimes pretty good at it if I know the person really well, but I've had to learn how. My natural inclination if someone is sad is to offer solutions or distractions, or run away. I'm not hyperaware of my emotions. I suck at expressing them in ways other than words, and when I do, it's always along with explanations and connections with other people's emotions, and how I think I should be feeling based on what's appropriate.

Conclusion: I'm better at Ti skills than Te, I'm better at Fe than Fi, I'm better at Ti than Fi, and I prefer Fe to Fi. I use Ne more than Ni, and I use Si more than Se. What does this point to? INTP. Which fits with my test results.

I believe the cognitive functions can be developed by developing the associated skills, and I have taken steps to do so. While preference and proficiency are not always directly correlated, they are loosely so, and a reliable indicator of function order.

Cognitive functions are 'modes of processing and expressing information/feelings,' and cannot necessarily be categorized in terms of how they tend to 'manifest' in a person. A person who gives a suffering friend a hug isn't necessarily operating on Fe; a person who analyzes and categorizes information etc. isn't necessarily operating on Ti. Fe and Ti COULD manifest that way, but that's not the way to pinpoint which cognitive functions you're actually using.

This confuses me. I kind of understand the underlying meaning, and I agree, but to some extent everything is based on how we process information and make judgments. We have to look at the motivations for things, how natural something is for a person, the context, their environment and conditioning, and to what extent something is just human and not related to type.

...of course; you're not very successful IMO, if successfulness is to be taken as an indication of true preference at all).

You're entitled to your incorrect opinion about my proficiency with Ti related skills. I happen to be very good at it. My reasoning just doesn't always match with yours or that of other Ti users. And I've been doing a lot more of some things on this site than others. I'm pretty sure the analysis I used above with the functions represents competence. Btw, successfulness is not a word. And you and some others have made spelling errors which I haven't corrected because I didn't want to be a dick, because I have inferior Fe. But it bothers me because little incorrect things bother me. Does that help you believe I may have some Ti?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are rather fortunate that so many people are so interested in your personality type whether they agree with you or not because a lot of people do not get a moments notice from others on their type!