• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type am I? So much internal conflict!

G

Glycerine

Yeah ENFJ sounds good. I could relate to it on a fundamental level. I don't relate to the "horrible people" thing though more ambivalence or neutrality.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't believe people are limited to a single type, but that their personality traits are spread across a spectrum. So my best guess is that she is 1. ENFJ, 2. INFJ, 3. INFP, in order of strength. The fact that she is conflicted over type should tell you that some other type comes in a close second. So while the consensus says ENFJ, I wouldn't rule out the idea that some other type is almost as predominant.

That makes sense. Like in the subtype system I've looked at, by functions tests, my subtype would be ENFJ after ISFP.

In terms of four letter dichotomies I am borderline on E/I most of all, and then on N/S.

Why do you think ENFJ is her main type if she says she doesn't like initiating conversations and hates some people, yet likes to interact and finds it rude when people are bad conversationalists?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That makes sense. Like in the subtype system I've looked at, by functions tests, my subtype would be ENFJ after ISFP.

In terms of four letter dichotomies I am borderline on E/I most of all, and then on N/S.

Why do you think ENFJ is her main type if she says she doesn't like initiating conversations and hates some people, yet likes to interact and finds it rude when people are bad conversationalists?

She hates rude people, and doesn't want other to think she is one of the rude types. That's Fe. She thinks bad conversationalists are rude. Fe.

This person is almost totally engaged with the emotions of others:

"-I love talking to people, especially about feelings because I love that emotional high you get from pleasing people.
-I hate initiating conversation because I feel like I'm trying too hard and I hate the fact that I always feel like I'm trying hard with friends. They don't seem to put in as much as effort as me in maintaining a friendship."

Little_Sticks

I don't split them like that because the MBTI borrowed bits and pieces from Jung, and then added on J and P.

You're missing the point. You see and use what is mutually exclusive, but not what is mutually inclusive. This limits theoretical awareness.

Nicki

Retired
One thing that keeps me from believing that I'm an ENFJ with certainty is that I have been described as awkward many times yet ENFJs are described as being charismatic or charming. I don't think I'm either of those. The letters seem to fit me but the descriptions just don't seem me. :/

Nicki

Retired

I don't hate some people. I don't hate anyone, I just think some people are horrible. It makes me so conflicted D:

Nicki

Retired
I can take a whole watermelon and describe it as it is.
I can then take a whole watermelon, cut it in half, and describe each half of the watermelon as if they were separate; however, to do so destroys the concept of the whole watermelon. In other words, whether you see JCF and MBTI as mutually exclusive is how you choose to look at it and not necessarily objectively true, as there can also be truth in them being mutually inclusive.

I like watermelons.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One thing that keeps me from believing that I'm an ENFJ with certainty is that I have been described as awkward many times yet ENFJs are described as being charismatic or charming. I don't think I'm either of those. The letters seem to fit me but the descriptions just don't seem me. :/

That's not the substance of ENFJ.

I myself don't identify with 100% of the INTP description. Oh well, I guess I'm just me after all.

G

Glycerine

Believe me, EXFJs can be quite awkward. It may be because they are so overly concerned/fixated with social rules/norms (Fe) that it might paralyse them on what the right thing is to say or do. One of the most hated people I know is probably ESFJ because she has a crappy handle of how to deal with people and is delusional but is concerned with social rules/norms. Fe doms may know the social rules/norms quite well but that doesn't mean that they are efficient in using them.

Nicki

Retired
Believe me, EXFJs can be quite awkward. It may be because they are so overly concerned/fixated with social rules/norms (Fe) that it might paralyse them on what the right thing is to say or do. One of the most hated people I know is probably ESFJ because she has a crappy handle of how to deal with people and is delusional but is concerned with social rules/norms. Fe doms may know the social rules/norms quite well but that doesn't mean that they are efficient in using them.

Ah, that's pretty interesting. The thing is I'm actually unaware of some social rules/norms and I'm oblivious to how I come off. But thanks for telling me that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
PersonalityPages explains why the ENFJ type has this conflict:

"ENFJ's tend to be more reserved about exposing themselves than other extraverted types. Although they may have strongly-felt beliefs, they're likely to refrain from expressing them if doing so would interfere with bringing out the best in others. Because their strongest interest lies in being a catalyst of change in other people, they're likely to interact with others on their own level, in a chameleon-like manner, rather than as individuals."

Anyway, the ENFJ has always been a little different from your run-of-the-mill extravert:

"ENFJ's are so externally focused that it's especially important for them to spend time alone. This can be difficult for some ENFJs, because they have the tendency to be hard on themselves and turn to dark thoughts when alone. Consequently, ENFJs might avoid being alone, and fill their lives with activities involving other people. ENFJs tend to define their life's direction and priorities according to other people's needs, and may not be aware of their own needs. It's natural to their personality type that they will tend to place other people's needs above their own, but they need to stay aware of their own needs so that they don't sacrifice themselves in their drive to help others."

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance

This is a good insight into Fe. One which ive thought about myself from time to time.

That ESFJ you know sounds exactly like me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

basically you take the functions test. My highest function is Fi. Ive gotten Fi Ni, Fi Ne, Fi Se, and Fi Si. But my Fi is insanely high, k.

My lowest function is always Ti. My second lowest is Te.

This pretty well establishes that I am an F dom, and then obviously and Fi dom.

On my most recent tests my function order has been Fi, Se, Ni, Fe.

Since my second highest judging function is Fe and my T functions are so low, my secondary type would be FJ, and most likely ExFJ (F dom) since my Ti is lowest.

Considering the strength of my Se, ENFJ also seems most plausible.

Interestingly some people on this site have suggested NFJ for me. But my Fe is too crappy for that, Im obviously Fi.

However it makes sense ENFJ would be my secondary type.

This would explain by REAL function order why some ISFPs are more like ISTPs or ISFJs, and some are more like NFs.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

basically you take the functions test. My highest function is Fi. Ive gotten Fi Ni, Fi Ne, Fi Se, and Fi Si. But my Fi is insanely high, k.

My lowest function is always Ti. My second lowest is Te.

This pretty well establishes that I am an F dom, and then obviously and Fi dom.

On my most recent tests my function order has been Fi, Se, Ni, Fe.

Since my second highest judging function is Fe and my T functions are so low, my secondary type would be FJ, and most likely ExFJ (F dom) since my Ti is lowest.

Considering the strength of my Se, ENFJ also seems most plausible.

Interestingly some people on this site have suggested NFJ for me. But my Fe is too crappy for that, Im obviously Fi.

However it makes sense ENFJ would be my secondary type.

This would explain by REAL function order why some ISFPs are more like ISTPs or ISFJs, and some are more like NFs.

Doesn't the function test result automatically provide you with these alternative choices?

G

Glycerine

This is a good insight into Fe. One which ive thought about myself from time to time.

That ESFJ you know sounds exactly like me.
Well you could still as easily be ENFJ though. It's not limited to ESFJ. ENFJs just seem more idealist in their delusions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Doesn't the function test result automatically provide you with these alternative choices?

Not necessarily correctly. In Jungian theory the dom and inferior are of utmost importance, meaning I'm an F dom who rejects T, so it would make no sense for me to list my secondary type as ESFP or INFJ by this particular theory.

In Keirsey or MBTI I'd say my "secondary type" is another FP type...Performer and Composer in Keirsey, and in MBTI I'd say more like ISFP and INFP; by interaction styles (Phleg-Sang, Sang-Phleg) I'd say my types are ISFP and then ENFP (which is what I think a lot of people see on this web site, because they see my interaction style and judge me on that). On the Keirsey site they see Performer and Composer.

But by this theory I'd be F dom and F dom, since my T functions are so low and my Fe is in my top four where the Te "should" be.

G

Glycerine

Ah, that's pretty interesting. The thing is I'm actually unaware of some social rules/norms and I'm oblivious to how I come off. But thanks for telling me that.

The important thing is are you constantly making judgments and comparisons using social norms/rules and thinking in terms of them? Whether you decide to follow them or disregard them. INFJs do this but it's secondary to their inner vision. They are used as a tool for their inner vision. ENFJs use Ni to aid their objective.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Of course you can go by that, btw. Like for example I have no idea what they'd do on functions tests, but I am strongly of the belief that David Lynch and Lana Del Rey are both ISFPs that are sometimes mistyped as INFJs because they have such heavy Ni for ISFPs and can use Fe manipulatively or understand what other people use Fe for (not unusual in older Fi types, I don't think) without being Fe themselves.

What's interesting is that even Keirsey types Lynch as an ISFP, and I believe Lynch to be an ISFP more by function order, because his Se seems to come BEFORE his Ni, but his Ni is very very clear in his art work, and it's all led by his own Fi. And in a particularly Fi/Ni state, Lynch doesn't give a fuck if you "get it" or you don't, either you get him or you don't, and I don't think he minds at all if you're on the outside. Doesn't seem very Fe to me.

Lana del Rey is the same, she puts Se aesthetics before her Ni, but her conceptualism that underlies her current album seems to entirely elude some people, and she seems genuinely to not care to explain herself, and is content to live in her own construction of an Se/Ni world kind of like Lynch does (which makes it so interesting to me that someone negatively compared her to a character in a Lynch film in the comments on an article about her)...but I believe she's Fi enough that she really does not give a fuck, she knows what she's doing, and that's why her little video collages are so personal to her, I think she goes by her Fi/Se to make those collages, and what it evokes in her, while still being aware enough of what other people use Fe for (as an Fi dom) to appeal to it both sarcastically and conceptually.

Edit: Or to put it another way, in original Jungian terms, I think they both have Sensual Feeling and Speculative Thinking...I don't see the Intuitive Feeling and Concrete/Practical Thinking. If you look at it like that...really? I mean really, they have Concrete/Practical Thinking? And what are their works personified, if not first carried by Sensual Feeling?