• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So, I took the Cognitive Function test. Am I kicked out of the INTP club, now?

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've known my MBTI type for a long time. I have consistently scored INTP on every test, every time for years. I dabbled with the 16 types, then I came here to mainly lurk around and learn more. I saw a lot of people stating that cognitive functions were a better indicator of personality, so I took two separate quizzes. Both gave me the same result with roughly the same percentage distribution. This is what I got:

"Your results:

Extroversion (11%) / Introversion (63%)

Sensation (9%) / Intuition (77%)

Thinking (94%) / Feeling (5%)

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (43%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (73%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (50%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (76%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (15%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (28%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (22%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (39%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - intj"

I'm not entirely sure how they derived INTJ since I seem to be all over the place, with Ni and Ti being codominant. I don't quite match any of the 16 types, but seem to be some sort of weird INTP/INTJ hybrid. This actually makes some sort of sense to me because my personality at work and school is very different from how I conduct things at home. I think perhaps my type is ALIEN. I would appreciate any thoughts since I'm still very much learning the different cognitive functions, how they work, and how they relate to one another. I appreciate any feedback.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Probably just indicates strong iNtuition in general. Like what I'm starting to call "cross-talk"; some Ne traits might be getting picked up as Ni. (The lines between them are often fuzzy, especially when these tests measure the functions by behaviors).
Those tests aren't always better; there are often a lot of Forer effects. Which one was this? The one over on PerC? That one almost always yields results like this.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tests aren't 100% reliable, given the construct of the particular test in question; certain ones are set up with questions that will produce unsatisfactory results. This test in particular, isn't all to bad actually, but it's far from perfect.

And of course, there's the matter concerning the test taker; the results depend on their imput, so a test that offers various results at any given time isn't invalid as is the user simply embraces different levels of thought and cognition depending on their mood or perception of self.

What you should do is research data concerning INTJ, compare it to data concerning INTP, and see which one better captures your method of information gathering, decision making, and overall perception of the world. But don't just take the test result at face value.

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm not entirely sure how they derived INTJ since I seem to be all over the place, with Ni and Ti being codominant. I don't quite match any of the 16 types, but seem to be some sort of weird INTP/INTJ hybrid. This actually makes some sort of sense to me because my personality at work and school is very different from how I conduct things at home. I think perhaps my type is ALIEN. I would appreciate any thoughts since I'm still very much learning the different cognitive functions, how they work, and how they relate to one another. I appreciate any feedback.

Herbpixie,

Let it be said that this is what the test provided you with a result. However, if we use the functions to build a stack, like so...

Ti + Ni

Ne

Te

---

Fi

Fe (bottom)

Very introverted INTPs rely on Ni to a great extent, but not as much as Ti. Very introverted INTJs, likewise, may rely on Ti if their introversion is strong enough to 'cover' the extraverted thinking.

The solution here is to figure out :

1) which is the function that is indeed supreme (Ni or Ti?)

2) which extraverted function is most trusted upon (Ne or Te)?

It is very important to split those...the %s are close...too close. Very probably, you have stronger preferences than that, more than what the test gives you credit for.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've known my MBTI type for a long time. I have consistently scored INTP on every test, every time for years. I dabbled with the 16 types, then I came here to mainly lurk around and learn more. I saw a lot of people stating that cognitive functions were a better indicator of personality, so I took two separate quizzes. Both gave me the same result with roughly the same percentage distribution. This is what I got:

"Your results:

Extroversion (11%) / Introversion (63%)

Sensation (9%) / Intuition (77%)

Thinking (94%) / Feeling (5%)

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (43%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (73%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (50%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (76%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (15%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (28%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (22%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (39%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - intj"

You scored INTJ because Ni is your highest scoring function, and Te is higher than Fe.

Se is your lowest score, which tends to point toward your dominant function being Ni.

However, I wouldn't trust just one test. And these types of tests don't provide a J/P score. It only assumes the J or P based on a formula that may not be right for you.

On the other hand, you could be a combination of types, such as INTP and INTJ. I don't think there's anything weird about that.

wolfy

awsm
intp/intj are okay, any sign of weakness on the s/n or t/f side is a definite no no.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably just indicates strong iNtuition in general. Like what I'm starting to call "cross-talk"; some Ne traits might be getting picked up as Ni. (The lines between them are often fuzzy, especially when these tests measure the functions by behaviors).
Those tests aren't always better; there are often a lot of Forer effects. Which one was this? The one over on PerC? That one almost always yields results like this.

I took two tests, and I scored the same stacking on each. On the second test, the percentage points between Ni and Ti were even lower, though--just a fraction of a point. I took the test on similarminds and the one on PerC.

What you should do is research data concerning INTJ, compare it to data concerning INTP, and see which one better captures your method of information gathering, decision making, and overall perception of the world. But don't just take the test result at face value.

I wouldn't, of course. I did take two, so it struck me that the cognitive function stacking on both was the same, and the percentages were also comparable. I'm relatively certain I'm an INTP. I just find the stacking to be rather odd, and I'm wondering if it's normal for these tests to yield results like this. :)

Very introverted INTPs rely on Ni to a great extent, but not as much as Ti. Very introverted INTJs, likewise, may rely on Ti if their introversion is strong enough to 'cover' the extraverted thinking.

The solution here is to figure out :

1) which is the function that is indeed supreme (Ni or Ti?)

2) which extraverted function is most trusted upon (Ne or Te)?

It is very important to split those...the %s are close...too close. Very probably, you have stronger preferences than that, more than what the test gives you credit for.

Thank you. I believe my dominant extraverted function is Ne. My humor is rather random and silly, and I'm not very motivated to schedule/structure. I think some of the questions regarding classifications/ordering in the quizzes threw me off because of the way that they were worded.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
first and most important thing to know about typology is that tests suck, dont trust them, better if you dont even do them, especially those tests that claim to measure functions, but just measure some random crap in reality

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
first and most important thing to know about typology is that tests suck, dont trust them, better if you dont even do them, especially those tests that claim to measure functions, but just measure some random crap in reality

I wholly agree with this...even if I would not express it in the same way.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took two tests, and I scored the same stacking on each. On the second test, the percentage points between Ni and Ti were even lower, though--just a fraction of a point. I took the test on similarminds and the one on PerC.
Try this one: http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm
While still not perfect (none are, of course), it does usually give more realistic results.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Try this one: http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm
While still not perfect (none are, of course), it does usually give more realistic results.

INFP. *headdesk* I seriously doubt I am an INFP. This test gives different results than the other two.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *************** (15.3)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************* (19.1)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************** (44.6)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************** (30.2)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************** (26.3)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43.3)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ****************** (18)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************* (43.6)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Absolutely. I know a bit about the 16 types, but I am now trying to get more of a feel for the cognitive functions, which is what motivated me to take the tests. I was just rather surprised at the results since I have consistently scored as INTP (and strongly identify with the type) for years.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP. *headdesk* I seriously doubt I am an INFP.

Most INFP's do! Muhaha.

On a more serious note. The fact that tests often don't work very well, especially to Si users, is that we can become biased into answering certain questions differently than our type would suggest our answers should be. Since you answer based on situations you think back on that seemed relevant to the question, rather than on a general level.

If you really want to know your cognative function strengths. Then take one of those tests, and instead of just clicking on of the circles, write down your reason for your answer as well. Then post the questions and your answers here and have some of us look at it in greater detail.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most INFP's do! Muhaha.

On a more serious note. The fact that tests often don't work very well, especially to Si users, is that we can become biased into answering certain questions differently than our type would suggest our answers should be. Since you answer based on situations you think back on that seemed relevant to the question, rather than on a general level.

If you really want to know your cognative function strengths. Then take one of those tests, and instead of just clicking on of the circles, write down your reason for your answer as well. Then post the questions and your answers here and have some of us look at it in greater detail.

Thanks for the suggestion, Fluffywolf. I'll try that. Sometimes the wording on these sorts of tests throws me off, so I've no doubt that skews the results. I don't like multiple choice exams for the same reason--I overthink them.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFP. *headdesk* I seriously doubt I am an INFP. This test gives different results than the other two.

unused
limited use
excellent use
good use
average use
excellent use
limited use
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

OK, that test's main Forer Effect problem is around Fi (overdefined, in a way that anyone can score high on it). But running neck and neck with it, is Ti. (just .3 points lower. I myself used to get higher Fi the first few times I tried it, until I knew the opeational definiton of questions like "knowing what you want for yourself")

So what do you think about INTP or ENTP, then? (And the other scores seem very typical for those types!)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you score high on Ti and Ni perhaps you are an INFJ in a Ni Ti loop. People have said similar things about me possibly being an ISTP in a Ti Ni loop.

Of course I don't know enough about Jungian cognitive functions to be a good judge.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK, that test's main Forer Effect problem is around Fi (overdefined, in a way that anyone can score high on it). But running neck and neck with it, is Ti. (just .3 points lower. I myself used to get higher Fi the first few times I tried it, until I knew the opeational definiton of questions like "knowing what you want for yourself")

So what do you think about INTP or ENTP, then? (And the other scores seem very typical for those types!)

I've always self identified as INTP. I'm entertaining the notion that I could be mistyped, but, interestingly enough, INTP is the second choice for me on each test I've taken. I think I was correct.

If you score high on Ti and Ni perhaps you are an INFJ in a Ni Ti loop. People have said similar things about me possibly being an ISTP in a Ti Ni loop.

Of course I don't know enough about Jungian cognitive functions to be a good judge.

I seriously doubt that I am an F of any sort, although I'll entertain the possibility. :) I've heard the Ti Ni loop thing, but I'm not certain what it means, exactly.

I took Fluffywolf's advice and just answered the questions from the last cognitive function test. I'll post here.

1.Freely follow your gut instincts and exciting physical impulses as they come up.

Gut instincts, somewhat. Physical impulses, not really. I’m lucky if I recognize that I’m hungry. I might not be motivated to act on it until I can’t deal with the hunger anymore. I’m also not a physical risk taker.

2. Offer various unrelated ideas and see what potential they might suggest.

I’m not sure what is being asked here. I don’t go into a meeting at work and offer ideas about how to make ice cream when we are discussing shipping biohazards. I do think outside of the box, and I often see a way to do things that others do not.

3. Determine success by measurement or other objective method such as the time taken.

Success is inner to me, but I do have my own system of measuring that success. It does not necessarily coincide with society’s version of success. I don’t care about social status at all, but I do care if I am successful by my own definition.

4. Feel inclined to be responsible for, and take care of, others' feelings.

Nope. Never. I will comfort someone who is hurting, but I don't feel responsible for them.

5. Experience a premonition or foresee the distant future.

Not in a psychic or mystical sense, but I can usually see how events are likely to play out in my head. I also am nearly always able to figure out mysteries in literature and on tv by connecting the dots

6. Notice whether the details in front of you match what you are accustomed to.

Obviously, I’ll notice if something I do a lot suddenly looks completely different. I’m not especially detail oriented, but I can put on that hat if I need to do so.

7. Be guided by a definition, logical deduction, or other nugget of reasoning.

Yes. I very much enjoy, and have a talent for, logic.

8. Feel strongly that something is good or bad.

I have a strong moral compass. Having said that, when I do feel that strongly about a moral issue, I do research to back up my feeling before I act on it. So, yes, I do, but I also need to work it out logically before I can pay any attention to it.

9. Compassionately take on someone else's needs as your own.

Not unless I’m very close to someone, and, even then, I don’t always recognize a person’s needs unless they are communicated to me very clearly.

10. Construct an argument to convince someone using evidence clearly in front of you both.

I am great at this.

11. Achieve a metamorphosis, definitive insight, or powerful vision of change.

This threw me off. I achieve definitive insights when working on something, but I don’t mean this in a touchy-feely revolutionary sort of sense.

12. Compare an experience against a storehouse of familiar experiences to find what's reliable.

I tend to compare against data, not experience. Personal experience can be flawed.

13. Remain in touch with what you want for yourself, what motivates you, and what is good.

I can be driven about things that interest me. I don’t know how they are defining “good” in this instance. Morally good? Good for me emotionally? The greater good?

14. Apply leverage to a situation to solve a problem impersonally using minimal effort.

Yes. I am good at problem solving as long as I’m allowed to do it my own way and not forced to abide by someone else’s template. I'm often told that I "think differently" than other people, but I'm not prone to errors when I am concentrating on something.

15. Enjoy the thrill of action and physical experience in the present moment.

As I stated before, I’m lucky if I realize that I’m hungry.

16. Enjoy playing with random interconnections and patterns.

Yes, yes, and yes. I love finding the connections between things, and I learn better once I can make those connections.

17. Recognize and usually adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along.

I have problems with authority at times. I’m not anti authority for the sake of being a rebel. I just don’t give any weight to someone simply because they have a title, nor do I give consideration to traditions, social norms, etc. if I do not see a use or reason for them.

18. Conceive of a comprehensive plan to maximize progress toward multiple goals at once.

My goals are pretty simple. I’m not really the type of person to sit down and plan stuff out, but I do have a basic idea of where I want to be in a few years.

19. Freely enjoy doing what you want for your own personal happiness.

I think this is one of the questions that got me labeled as an F. Yes, I do. But it just so happens that what I want to do is learn about random things.

20. Concisely reference multiple frameworks at once while problem solving.

I am good at research and at making connections.

21. Gain a profound realization from a mystical state or sudden release of emotions.

Nope.

22. Follow steps to ensure tasks are predictable and completed correctly.

I’m more of a “throw away the instructions and do it my way” sort of woman.

23. Engage life's magical moments and meaningful coincidences as they happen.

I guess. Sure, I can be aware of them. I don’t tend to make a big deal out of it, though.

24. Quickly move to take advantage of immediate options for action.

Immediate action. That’s just funny.

25. Always remain true to what you want for yourself or others.

Yes. I don’t compromise when I know that I am correct/on the right path. It takes me a long time to decide what is and is not correct, though, and my interpretation will change in light of new evidence.

26. Analyze and critique what doesn't fit with a well-defined principle.

Yes. I am good at tearing things apart and finding flaws, which doesn’t always win me a lot of friends at work.

27. Review a lot of information over time to confirm what is customary or standard.

I do this at work because I must, and I am adept at it. I am more likely to take a novel approach at home or school and discard the customary or standard methods.

28. Feel attracted to the symbolic, archetypal, or mysterious.

Very much so. I am a big fan of postmodern literature for that very reason. It’s also one of the reasons I’m drawn to MBTI.

29. Instantly read visible cues to see just how far you can go.

I certainly test people to see how far I can go, but I wouldn’t say I’m all that good at reading their faces. It is more accurate to say that I review the rules to see how far I can go/exploit those rules.

30. Keep following tangents and new ideas without limiting yourself to one.

Yes. My browser history is a testament to this fact.

31. Follow a straight line of reasoning.

I can lay something out in a straight line of reasoning. I am also very good at logic, but I don’t know that I come to a conclusion without going off on at least one tangent.

32. Help make people feel comfortable by engaging in hosting and care-taking.

You’re lucky if I remember to offer you a drink.

33. Lay out methods for others to complete tasks in time- and resource-efficient ways.

Nope. I refuse to wrangle other people. I do not like to lead, but I am often forced to take that position in groups.

34. Readily communicate personally to all members of a group to feel unity.

When I address a group, I try not to single people out in a negative way. It’s important to me, if in a leadership position, that team members feel valued. It creates harmony in the environment.

35. Fine-tune a definition or concept to support a theory, perspective or framework.

Yes. I am always fine tuning or changing in order to be specific.

36. Evaluate what is worth believing in and most important to who you really are inside.

Doesn’t everyone to some extent?

37. Weave into the current dynamics of a situation aspects of other, random contexts.

Yes. As stated, I am good at spotting patterns.

38. Spur action and pull off results simply by making your presence felt.

Hahahaha. Action.

39. Transform yourself by focusing inward on a specific way you foresee you will need to be.

I think everyone psyches themselves up for certain situations, but it’s not something I really focus on or try to do regularly.

40. Fulfill the same regular work or activity everyday at a comfortable pace.

I try different methods. I alternate between lazy and spurts of energy. So, not really.

41. Merge and feel intimate oneness with other people.

Only a very, very few people. I usually feel like the oddball in the crowd.

42. Stick to making decisions based on impersonal measures such as points earned.

Points earned? I didn’t really understand this question. I don’t think someone’s merit can be determined based on how many points they have.

43. Continually examine if choices harmonize with important beliefs.

Again, I think this is something that everyone does to an extent. I’m not going to take action that contradicts a deeply held principle.

44. Take apart something to figure out the principles on which it works.

Take apart physically, not often. Mentally, yes. All the time.

45. Push your mental limits to complete an array of innovative achievements.

I like to sit and think. I’m good at it. If innovative means ideas, then yes. If it means actions, not as much.

46. Point out discrepancies between how things are and the way they have always been.

If I see a discrepancy in how things are done at work, I will point it out because I am trying to get to the root of how it should be done. I don’t, however, rely on past experience as a guide to do things.

47. Trust what emerges from brainstorming.

I have to sit on it for awhile before I can fully trust it.

48. Easily get in sync physically with people and things around you.

Definitely not.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

unused
limited use
excellent use
good use
average use
excellent use
limited use
excellent use

Your order is:

Ne, Ti, Fi, Ni,
Te, Si, Fe, Se.

Ne/Ti by itself comes out as ENTP, but with three introverted functions in the top 4 scores, you come out as INTP.

I don't know where the test got INFP, but I always do my own thinking on these results because I've seen so many people reporting strange ones. But the actual function order does not lie.

herbpixie

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your order is:

Ne, Ti, Fi, Ni,
Te, Si, Fe, Se.

Ne/Ti by itself comes out as ENTP, but with three introverted functions in the top 4 scores, you come out as INTP.

I don't know where the test got INFP, but I always do my own thinking on these results because I've seen so many people reporting strange ones. But the actual function order does not lie.

Thanks, Mal. I'm a n00b when it comes to the cognitive functions, so I'm trying to see how it all fits together. I suppose I anticipated that it would look like a neatly packaged INTP, so I was surprised to see the actual results.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always self identified as INTP. I'm entertaining the notion that I could be mistyped, but, interestingly enough, INTP is the second choice for me on each test I've taken. I think I was correct.

I seriously doubt that I am an F of any sort, although I'll entertain the possibility. :) I've heard the Ti Ni loop thing, but I'm not certain what it means, exactly.

I took Fluffywolf's advice and just answered the questions from the last cognitive function test. I'll post here.

The way you're taking apart and analyzing each question of the test points to INTP. :D