• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

4s: Wing 3 or 5?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Question:

Would it be beneficial to develop both wings? I can definitely see it being useful to leverage the w3 in order to drag w5 out of isolation, so to speak. And, is it possible/desirable to do so?

My opinion, based on my understanding of enneagram, is NO. This is because your type is your EGO. It's the lens through which you see reality, through which you experience consciousness & yourself - but it's also a lens which includes what I call "false beliefs" about reality & yourself. For instance, the 4's false belief is that they are inherently defective, having no personal significance or identity of value, and that ultimately people will reject them because of it. In reaction to this, they latch onto whatever makes them different from others as their identity, they use moods to feel a sense of significane in their lives (because emotions & feelings are signals of significance), and they do a push-pull in relationships because they desire acceptance/love/admiration which gives them value but also fear being found out as defective & worthless. Hence, shame & envy become major problematic feelings with them.

The integration points are types whose egos have beliefs which would balance your ego, or broaden it so it's less restrictive (ie. a narrow identity is someone who goes around saying "I can't do X because I am Y" or "That's just who I am!"), and then you become healthier because positive, productive thinking & behavior is no longer rejected because it's "not you". For the 4, the integration is 1, a type who puts aside personal feelings & preoccupation with individuality in favor of being a noble, moral force in the world. You can see how this balances the 4's ego & feelings of shame & envy.

However the wing really just "colors" your type. It adds a dimension to your ego that you could say supports it more than broadens it. As far as influence on personality, the wing could be compared to your aux function in MBTI, but in terms of balance or broadening, it's less of a force. For the 4, the 5 wing adds a dimension of feeling ill equipped to deal with the demands of the world & the 3 wing adds a dimension of feeling worthless if not accomplishing whatever the 3 sees value in. This adds to shame & envy.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then integration on the wings might...add to the solution, logically speaking? :thinking: