• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

HELP: Type my mom?!

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
So... I've been trying to type my mom for quite some time. We're very similar in some ways, but very different at the same time. For example, she hates that I'm a procrastinator and will wait till the last possible minute to do something. Here's some info about her.

• When given a project - she starts on it immediately and stresses until it's finished.
  • She leaves really early to make sure she gets to appointments/meetings 10-15 minutes early.
  • She is an artistic person, but wasn't really good at it until she took several classes to develop the skill.
  • She is very organized. She has four different filing cabinets in her house full of just about every kind of document possible. (bills, certificates, taxes, etc)
  • She isn't very empathetic towards others. If something were to happen one of her family members she would be, but not towards the general population.
  • She has one close friend and the rest of her friends are really just her family.
  • She doesn't mind going places by herself, as long as they aren't huge events with a lot of people.
  • She insists on telling people "what she would do" in their situation...even when they don't ask for it... And she has a habit of interrupting someone before they can say what they were going to do/have done.
  • We joke that she "looks" with her fingers because a lot of the time shopping she has to touch everything to see how it feels.
  • We have a hard time communicating... We can mean the exact same thing, but we'll convey it in different ways...thus resulting in an argument.
  • Her feelings get hurt easily, but she bottles it up.... And then explodes later...
I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has... I'm just not sure what else to say right now! :)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
My first guess would be ISTJ based on these characteristics. I'll watch the rest of the thread though to see what else evolves!

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Yeah, I'm thinking ISTJ.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ah... I hadn't even thought about ISTJ...

This definitely fits with her personality:
Because the ISTJ has such a strong sense of duty, they may have a difficult time saying "no" when they are given more work than they can reasonably handle.

They may have difficulty picking up on emotional needs immediately, as they are presented. Being perfectionists themselves, they have a tendency to take other people's efforts for granted, like they take their own efforts for granted.

ISTJs are likely to be uncomfortable expressing affection and emotion to others. However, their strong sense of duty and the ability to see what needs to be done in any situation usually allows them to overcome their natural reservations, and they are usually quite supporting and caring individuals with the people that they love. Once the ISTJ realizes the emotional needs of those who are close to them, they put forth effort to meet those needs.

Ugh, and this much to my non-affectionate dismay! The ISTJ is likely to express their affection through actions, rather than through words. :doh:

Perhaps she is an ISTJ... This now leads me to believe that it's T types that I have a little bit of trouble communicating with and not Ns.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ISTJ would be my guess.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
She did the thing that throws me this morning... She complained about me not thinking ahead and always living in the present.... And I think that's why I always questioned if she was an N.... I suppose she's just got a well developed Ne?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So... I've been trying to type my mom for quite some time. We're very similar in some ways, but very different at the same time. For example, she hates that I'm a procrastinator and will wait till the last possible minute to do something. Here's some info about her.

• When given a project - she starts on it immediately and stresses until it's finished.

Judging.
  • She leaves really early to make sure she gets to appointments/meetings 10-15 minutes early.

Judging.
  • She is an artistic person, but wasn't really good at it until she took several classes to develop the skill.

?
  • She is very organized. She has four different filing cabinets in her house full of just about every kind of document possible. (bills, certificates, taxes, etc)

Judging.
  • She isn't very empathetic towards others. If something were to happen one of her family members she would be, but not towards the general population.

Feeling.
  • She has one close friend and the rest of her friends are really just her family.

Introverted.
  • She doesn't mind going places by herself, as long as they aren't huge events with a lot of people.

Introverted.
  • She insists on telling people "what she would do" in their situation...even when they don't ask for it... And she has a habit of interrupting someone before they can say what they were going to do/have done.

Judging.
  • We joke that she "looks" with her fingers because a lot of the time shopping she has to touch everything to see how it feels.

Sensing.
  • We have a hard time communicating... We can mean the exact same thing, but we'll convey it in different ways...thus resulting in an argument.

?
  • Her feelings get hurt easily, but she bottles it up.... And then explodes later...

ISFJ.
I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has... I'm just not sure what else to say right now! :)

I lived with an ISFJ for 13 years, so this one was easy.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She did the thing that throws me this morning... She complained about me not thinking ahead and always living in the present.... And I think that's why I always questioned if she was an N.... I suppose she's just got a well developed Ne?

It could still be Si because she's learned that this is the way to handle things. Planning for the future can lie in the realm of being responsible and doing one's duty. I say ISTJ.

Do you know how others see her?

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
It could still be Si because she's learned that this is the way to handle things. Planning for the future can lie in the realm of being responsible and doing one's duty. I say ISTJ.

Do you know how others see her?

The biggest thing I hear people say about her is... "She's a very nice lady, but never ever get on her bad side."

Other stuff I hear people say...

"Your mom is always so prompt when we need something taken care of."
"She's such an incredible painter, that must be where you got your creativity."
"She's got such a sarcastic sense of humor, it's hard for me to tell whether she's being serious or not..."

Not sure if any of that helps really. :shrug:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
She sounds like an ISTJ to me, as well.

I think that's a very J thing, too. My mom is ESFJ and definitely a future planner. We think about the future in different ways, though. I have a more nebulous idea of the future, and I'm always thinking about possibilities - as in ANYTHING that could happen. She generally thinks in a more concrete sense in terms of what she wants to do and what is likely to happen. My future orientation is vague and very global. Hers seems more specific and intentional. I think N types have that future orientation because the future is the big, undifferentiated place where anything could happen. It's very exciting in that it theoretically contains ALL potentials. Whereas J types have that future orientation because they're goal-setters and planners, and the future is distinct and measurable - the place where their goals reside.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I know people have said ISFJ, but I don't see it. Fe aux? no way.

She must be ISTJ! I agree with the ones that said that.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
She sounds like an ISTJ to me, as well.

I think that's a very J thing, too. My mom is ESFJ and definitely a future planner. We think about the future in different ways, though. I have a more nebulous idea of the future, and I'm always thinking about possibilities - as in ANYTHING that could happen. She generally thinks in a more concrete sense in terms of what she wants to do and what is likely to happen. My future orientation is vague and very global. Hers seems more specific and intentional. I think N types have that future orientation because the future is the big, undifferentiated place where anything could happen. It's very exciting in that it theoretically contains ALL potentials. Whereas J types have that future orientation because they're goal-setters and planners, and the future is distinct and measurable - the place where their goals reside.

Hmm... Very true... She has the exact day she plans on retiring already in mind... And it's not just a random day plucked out of the sky... She knew the day that she would be eligible to retire and receive full benefits.... Picked a few weeks after that date to ensure they don't try and claim that she was just shy of her full eligibility... :shock:

Hmm, I know people have said ISFJ, but I don't see it. Fe aux? no way.

She must be ISTJ! I agree with the ones that said that.

LoL, thanks. I think all the ISTJ suggestions are correct. Reading the description it fits... And I hadn't even thought about the Fe vs Fi differences... She's definitely similar to me when it comes to Fi....