• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do him, would you?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
I recently got to know someone intriguing. What I imagine a boy of summer grown up, no longer as lost, would be. Am wondering what his type is.

Got him to take the cognitive functions test, and it showed a blend of Ni, Ne, Ti, Te. But INTJ and ENTPs are much different in feel, and I should be able to tell them apart.
Yet I have difficulty with him as he exhibits traits that defies a part of each type.

Some notes:

• He is very self-contained, does not show much impatience, nor emotion.
  • He can appear cold, yet he cares deeply about things. But the revelation comes in a few words, or a sentence. Never excessive emotionalities. I think you'd never see him lose his temper.
  • A gentleman of the old school, in all senses of the word. Always courteous to ladies, never going into ugly fights/behaviours. Seems to understand boundaries and rules innately.
  • A master wordsmith. Extremely well-read, can hold his own on any debate on personality, philosophy, religion, politics and sociology.
  • An observer of human nature, but he does not judge them. Seems to enjoy poking them for reactions, though uncomfortable being poked himself.
  • A quiet sense of humour and a sense of fun that can be sparked, but the play seems to come as a response vs an initiative, but it could be because I'm not in his inner circle.
  • If irritated/frustrated, it shows via class sarcasm, for want of a better word. Does not suffer fools gladly, simply ignores most or take veiled stabs at them. But always with a smile.
  • Has a presence that fills a room. Interaction with him feels like circling a banked fire. Something is simmering inside, but you do not really know what.
  • And yes, he is good-looking, dresses well, takes care of his body and makes me feel, exquisitely female.
  • I'm never able to rid myself of the feeling that he sees me as an amusing little chit. Like a birdie he'd let sit on his finger on a sunlit day, just to see if I'd fly or stay.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.8)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.6)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************************** (41.9)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************** (35.1)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.1)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.4)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************** (20.6)
limited use

So... Is this what a grown up ENTP, at peace with always being partly empty, feels like? Or is this an INTJ who has grown beyond the hyper sensitivity to normal human foibles? Or is he another type I'm blinded to?

What other questions would you need to have answered to address a best guess consensus of his type?

Edit: Would you also please give reasons for why you think he is which type.. thanks.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
INTJ. the best grown up of the type. read your own description, it's classic of that type.

ENTPs are never as centred as that. ENTPs tend to have excess words/emotions when one will do.

edit: the Fi score is what gives it away

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
INTJ. the best grown up of the type. read your own description, it's classic of that type.

ENTPs are never as centred as that. ENTPs tend to have excess words/emotions when one will do.

edit: the Fi score is what gives it away

Consider other types though. Do a negative elimination if you will. Ask more questions and suspend judgement first.

Also, perhaps you're blind-sided as I am, in thinking ENTPs would never be centred?

I've not met an INTJ, who did not unintentionally/intentionally hurt others by badly placed words and too blunt speeches, and simply, not knowing how to treat others properly. The part of him that defied a "classic" INTJ description is this: forbearance. He does not judge nor criticise. He does not have the arrogance and elitism which is common in the type. He translates his thoughts to words with much more ease than I'd imagine an INTJ would.

So I question your use of the phrase "classic of that type" regarding this guy.

If that is the case, what is an unclassic INTJ?

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
From your description he really seems like a perfect mix between INTP and ENTP. His results seem to confirm this. (About balanced Ti and Ne). In addition he's balanced Ne+Ti with Ni+Te, making him more rounded but more difficult to type.

So XNTP is my guess, and if forced to lose the X, I'd say INTP.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
From your description he really seems like a perfect mix between INTP and ENTP. His results seem to confirm this. (About balanced Ti and Ne). In addition he's balanced Ne+Ti with Ni+Te, making him more rounded but more difficult to type.

Why not J, as tovlo and my sis thinks though?

Edit: Ni + Te = INTJ..

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Why not J, as tovlo and my sis thinks though?

Because your description doesn't match an ENTJ or an INTJ in my eyes. Nor does the test (if it's accurate). His Te is actually quite low compared with Ne, Ti and Ni. My bet is he's an XNTP with some J traits.

If we were to disregard the test altogether I'd guess INFJ before INTJ.

Edit: My results on that test were:
Ne = 48 excellent use
Fi = 39.7 excellent use

Ni = 34.5 good use
Fe = 33.5 good use
Ti = 31.8 good use

Se= 21.5 limited use
Te = 16.2 limited use

Si = 15.2 unused

You could argue that this test makes me ENFP or that it's also possible I could be INFJ because Ni/Fe are rather strong, but the reality is I'm an INFP who exhibits certain ENFP, INFJ and INTP traits.

By that logic I'm guessing he's an XNTP who exhibits certain Ni and Te traits.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Because your description doesn't match an ENTJ or an INTJ in my eyes. Nor does the test (if it's accurate). His Te is actually quite low compared with Ne, Ti and Ni. My bet is he's an XNTP with some J traits.

If we were to disregard the test altogether I'd guess INFJ before INTJ.

Explain INFJ?

Also, is there any questions you would like answered to further a guess? :D

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
Made an edit above by the way.

Explain INFJ?

Also, is there any questions you would like answered to further a guess? :D

Bolding the parts that could be INFJ. (Yes, many could also be INTJ or other types, but some still strike me as more INFJ than INTJ. You'll never know if he's INFJ or INTJ before you get inside his defenses though, and it's not a quick process with either type.)

Some notes:

* He is very self-contained, does not show much impatience, nor emotion.
* He can appear cold, yet he cares deeply about things. But the revelation comes in a few words, or a sentence. Never excessive emotionalities. I think you'd never see him lose his temper.
* A gentleman of the old school, in all senses of the word. Always courteous to ladies, never going into ugly fights/behaviours. Seems to understand boundaries and rules innately.
* A master wordsmith. Extremely well-read, can hold his own on any debate on personality, philosophy, religion, politics and sociology.
* An observer of human nature, but he does not judge them. Seems to enjoy poking them for reactions, though uncomfortable being poked himself.
* A quiet sense of humour and a sense of fun that can be sparked, but the play seems to come as a response vs an initiative, but it could be because I'm not in his inner circle.
* If irritated/frustrated, it shows via class sarcasm, for want of a better word. Does not suffer fools gladly, simply ignores most or take veiled stabs at them. But always with a smile.
* Has a presence that fills a room. Interaction with him feels like circling a banked fire. Something is simmering inside, but you do not really know what.
* And yes, he is good-looking, dresses well, takes care of his body and makes me feel, exquisitely female.
* I'm never able to rid myself of the feeling that he sees me as an amusing little chit. Like a birdie he'd let sit on his finger on a sunlit day, just to see if I'd fly or stay.

Hm... also realized you said he doesn't judge people, but don't suffer fools gladly, indicating that he does indeed judge people, but pretends not to. Sounds like a typical INFJ. :D My intuition still tells me XNTP though. And no, I don't have any questions right now. I feel I know enough to jump to conclusions. :D

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
i never liked having to count from one to ten in order. nor to verbalise my thoughts, because at the end, most only want the final answer and not the process.

but since you really want to, this is for you.

Consider other types though. Do a negative elimination if you will. Ask more questions and suspend judgement first.

as you wish. i'll take you through the elimination process below upon which i derived the letter code.

Also, perhaps you're blind-sided as I am, in thinking ENTPs would never be centred?

I said never as centred. ie, if i were to choose one: between the INTJ and ENTP, who's more centred, then by type alone, it'd be INTJ.

I've not met an INTJ, who did not unintentionally/intentionally hurt others by badly placed words and too blunt speeches, and simply, not knowing how to treat others properly. The part of him that defied a "classic" INTJ description is this: forbearance. He does not judge nor criticise. He does not have the arrogance and elitism which is common in the type. He translates his thoughts to words with much more ease than I'd imagine an INTJ would.

So I question your use of the phrase "classic of that type" regarding this guy.

If that is the case, what is an unclassic INTJ?

I said classic of the grown up of the type. it ain't my fault if you've only met unhealthy INTJs, you know.

i know two INTJs in real life who are like what you said. Forebearance, and they listen. Aren't too bad in lang, either. one was a former GP teacher. It all depends on what system they had chosen to Te. Can be very, very precise in word. (will admit, it's a rare intj who can communicate well tho. :rofl1: )

edit: one more thing: INTJs always judge; but the classy ones never let their disdain be known. they show it ala high society. with a classy disdain in the barest of words.

discretion is the domain of the INTx. But i'd say not intp, because intps implode til they explode, and if they don't like you, they aren't gonna hide it anyway.

the deconstruction

16 types in all.
ISTJ, ESTJ, ISFJ, ESFJ.
INTJ, ENTJ, INFJ, ENFJ.
ISTP, ESTP, ISFP, ESFP.
INTP, ENTP, INFP, ENFP.

• He is very self-contained, does not show much impatience, nor emotion. ---strike out the FPs.

leaving:

ISTJ, ESTJ, ISFJ, ESFJ
    INTJ, ENTJ INFJ ENFJ
    ISTP ESTP
    INTP ENTP

• He can appear cold, yet he cares deeply about things. But the revelation comes in a few words, or a sentence. Never excessive emotionalities. I think you'd never see him lose his temper.

--what i call the hidden temperaments. ie, not xxFP. Circumspect in words tends to be a T function.

caring deeply implies an NF/NT/SF: since N sees what can be, and SF will care, while ST is only intersted in following the rules. (altho it is not completely eliminated at this stage).

likely,

ISFJ ESFJ
    INTJ ENTJ INFJ ENFJ
    INTP ENTP

• A gentleman of the old school, in all senses of the word. Always courteous to ladies, never going into ugly fights/behaviours. Seems to understand boundaries and rules innately.

--can just be social training, as would be expected of his class.

but if it is genuinely innate: strike out the flameballs and the temper tantrums. Also strike out low Fe (ie, INTP. *waves* :D ).

ISFJ, INTJ, ENTJ, ENTP.
  • A master wordsmith. Extremely well-read, can hold his own on any debate on personality, philosophy, religion, politics and sociology.

--the Rationals. NT.

leaving INTJ ENTJ ENTP (hold ISFJ on backburner)
  • An observer of human nature, but he does not judge them. Seems to enjoy poking them for reactions, though uncomfortable being poked himself.

--not wanting to be poked: is an introvert function. The space for selves are clearly delineated. Again, observer: Rational. NT.
  • A quiet sense of humour and a sense of fun that can be sparked, but the play seems to come as a response vs an initiative, but it could be because I'm not in his inner circle.

--strike out the E.

ISFJ or INTJ. (E: do they usually response, or take initiative in social settings?)
  • If irritated/frustrated, it shows via class sarcasm, for want of a better word. Does not suffer fools gladly, simply ignores most or take veiled stabs at them. But always with a smile.

an ISFJ is too mild for that.
  • Has a presence that fills a room. Interaction with him feels like circling a banked fire. Something is simmering inside, but you do not really know what.

--mystery is the domain of the introvert. especially, the N introvert.
  • And yes, he is good-looking, dresses well, takes care of his body and makes me feel, exquisitely female.

--doesn't say anything except social breeding.
  • I'm never able to rid myself of the feeling that he sees me as an amusing little chit. Like a birdie he'd let sit on his finger on a sunlit day, just to see if I'd fly or stay.

--like a benevolent lion at rest watching his cubs, isn't it?

how lion-like are ENTPs? in comparison

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.8)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************** (16.6)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) **************************************** (41.9)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************************** (35.1)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************************** (41.1)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ********************** (22.4)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************** (20.6)
limited use

Ne/Ni is equally strong. as is Ti/Te.

Hence, what's left is to elucidate the weakest functions.

edit: ye gawds, helping the cousin with maths now, this post took me forever to type. :steam:

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Made an edit above by the way.

Bolding the parts that could be INFJ. (Yes, many could also be INTJ or other types, but some still strike me as more INFJ than INTJ. You'll never know if he's INFJ or INTJ before you get inside his defenses though, and it's not a quick process with either type.)

Hm... also realized you said he doesn't judge people, but don't suffer fools gladly, indicating that he does indeed judge people, but pretends not to. Sounds like a typical INFJ. :D My intuition still tells me XNTP though. And no, I don't have any questions right now. I feel I know enough to jump to conclusions. :D

Edits cheat... *mumbles*

If you get inside the defenses of an INTJ or an INFJ, what is the differentiator to you, of the difference between the two?

Perhaps the doesn't suffer fools gladly comes from a walls thing, vs a judgement thing. One protects something inside. The other is externally directed. Interesting point there though.

Could you verbalise the Ne that is giving you xNTP?

And jumping to conclusions is an INFP trait? :D

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
carebear, not likely INFJ, because an INFJ in a debate will always get emotionally involved, and argue on and on and on, getting :steam: and :steam: -ier. :rofl1: FJs are flameballs by nature, not banked fire.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
INTJ/INFJ.

the difference is the warmth. An INTJ's emotive connections are longer lasting than an INFJ, because to get into his/her inner circle, you'd have had to break past the shackles of control. ie, touch the blind side of F by slipping past T. That is also why it's very hard to break through an INTJ's confrol, vs an INFJ, who tends to let you in pretty fast. but because the Fe makes them aware of intentions, it is difficult to get close beyond a certain point.

INFJs love deeply, but fleetingly. They can let go better than INTJs, when it comes to deep connections.

(just my impression. caveat applies.)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
nice discussion now :yay:

Re: slipping into the skin.

Fe comes across as a card of manipulation to many here. But it is also a card of attachment. Difficulty in letting go. I question that "INFJs love fleetingly". If you get past the Fe, you reach a Ti. A clear-eyed love, if you will.

An INTJ: Te-Fi. A value-laden love. Does it exist because it fits with what they want. In which case, how clear-eyed is that? How easily can it be cut, if it no longer fits / the values change.

Ne is the card of connections. Ni, of inner change.
Si, of persistence in memory. Se, of sensations.

Name the cards of the other 4.

Does a Rational love without thinking it through? Thought and emotion cannot be divorced so cleanly. That which is called love, is not a single string, but a web of attachments. Feelings alone will not create a livable love? Thought alone will kill love?

Which are the cards of attachment; which, of detachment?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
You write extremely well, Aelan.

If he is INTJ, I'd wager he's (for good or bad, I suppose) highly unlike most other INTJs on this board.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
nice discussion now :yay:

come home and help the fry with his maths! i'm dying! maths ISN"T my strongest subject!

oh, and i've downloaded ventrilo. if you're nice enough to me, i may let you use my laptop at times. :devil:

Re: slipping into the skin.

Fe comes across as a card of manipulation to many here. But it is also a card of attachment. Difficulty in letting go. I question that "INFJs love fleetingly". If you get past the Fe, you reach a Ti. A clear-eyed love, if you will.

An INTJ: Te-Fi. A value-laden love. Does it exist because it fits with what they want. In which case, how clear-eyed is that?

We need the INFJs to comment here. duckie???? Or kiddo. My intuition, actually, is because it is Fe and not Fi, the INFJ actually has an easier time letting go. Fe bends to others, isn't it?

Am more familiar with INTJs really, of the two. :thinking: Wouldn't a value laden love be held deeper than a rational laden one? ie, in the core. You should be looking at 4th function, not second.

nono, sis. if an INTJ falls in love, they do so unwittingly, because the love has stolen past their Te barrier. ie, they will love in spite of themselves. :rofl1:

Ne is the card of connections. Ni, of inner change.
Si, of persistence in memory. Se, of sensations.

Name the cards of the other 4.

Why does everything have to be cards to you. :dry:

Te of exerted will, Ti of internal will.
Fe of external attachment (to outsiders), Fi of internal attachment (to values within).

Does a Rational love without thinking it through? Thought and emotion cannot be divorced so cleanly. That which is called love, is not a single string, but a web of attachments. Feelings alone will not create a livable love? Thought alone will kill love?

Which are the cards of attachment; which, of detachment?

Love is below the barrier of 20 hertz, for a rational. When struck (ie, beneath the secondary function), they would feel first, then struggle to rationalise it.

A feeler would think first, then choose to feel.

edit: if it's cards you're talking about, like with the Tarot, it's never the single card, it's the interpretation of them all, in their positions, that gives the full picture.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP

this would be my assestment too, having intp and entp best friends.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Why on earth would you get him to do the cognitive functions test but not an actual MBTI test? Do you enjoy mystery? Were you trying to conceal your intense interest?

How old is this guy? How well do you know him? Do you get any chances to watch him interacting with other people?

To be honest, your description of him is just too vague and resembles just about any given smart, polite person on a good/bad day. More information needed!

*considers*

Is this some kind of test? Like a Forer thing or a Rorschach test? :thelook: Let's take a closer look:

• He is very self-contained, does not show much impatience, nor emotion.

• Me.

[*]He can appear cold, yet he cares deeply about things. But the revelation comes in a few words, or a sentence. Never excessive emotionalities. I think you'd never see him lose his temper.

That sounds like me too, even with people I know moderately well.

[*]A gentleman of the old school, in all senses of the word. Always courteous to ladies, never going into ugly fights/behaviours. Seems to understand boundaries and rules innately.

That's so me. What do you mean by understanding rules innately, though? Social rules? If so, that's me too.

[*]A master wordsmith. Extremely well-read, can hold his own on any debate on personality, philosophy, religion, politics and sociology.

Totally me.

[*]An observer of human nature, but he does not judge them. Seems to enjoy poking them for reactions, though uncomfortable being poked himself.

Me also.

[*]A quiet sense of humour and a sense of fun that can be sparked, but the play seems to come as a response vs an initiative, but it could be because I'm not in his inner circle.

Me.

[*]If irritated/frustrated, it shows via class sarcasm, for want of a better word. Does not suffer fools gladly, simply ignores most or take veiled stabs at them. But always with a smile.

"With a smile"? That's the key phrase, showing that it's all me.

"Class sarcasm"? Sarcasm related to a particular socio-economic class, or schoolboy sarcasm? Or did you mean "classy sarcasm"? If you did, that's clearly me.

[*]Has a presence that fills a room. Interaction with him feels like circling a banked fire. Something is simmering inside, but you do not really know what.

Well, that's really just a verbose and coy way of saying you think he's hot. Not a lot to do with type there.

[*]And yes, he is good-looking, dresses well, takes care of his body and makes me feel, exquisitely female.

I'd say the bulk of healthy, goodlooking people dress pretty well and take care of their bodies. Because it's so much more rewarding that it is for non-goodlooking people to do the same. Plus, goodlooking people as a rule tend to have more vanity than non-goodlooking people. So this part really just says that he's good-looking and knows it. Making you "feel, exquisitely female" is probably just a result of being goodlooking.

This part isn't me much, but it was definitely me when I was in my veryearly-twenties and thought I might still turn out goodlooking if I tried harder.

[*]I'm never able to rid myself of the feeling that he sees me as an amusing little chit. Like a birdie he'd let sit on his finger on a sunlit day, just to see if I'd fly or stay.

Definitely me.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
carebear, not likely INFJ, because an INFJ in a debate will always get emotionally involved, and argue on and on and on, getting :steam: and :steam: -ier. :rofl1: FJs are flameballs by nature, not banked fire.

No. Maybe many INFJs will, but I've met several INFJ guys who won't, at least until you're far far inside their defenses. I still don't think he's INFJ, but the picture drawn fits my experience with male INFJs much better than my experience with male INTJs.

Edits cheat... *mumbles*

If you get inside the defenses of an INTJ or an INFJ, what is the differentiator to you, of the difference between the two?

The main difference is that then you see that one is T and one is F. Many INFJ guys don't show much of the F before you get beneath their skin, so they end up looking like Ts.

Ever heard of the warm and fuzzy theory (probably called something completely different really):

INTJs are cold on the outside, cold on the inside.
INTPs are warm and fuzzy on the outside, but cold as rocks on the inside.
INFJs are cold as rocks on the outside, but warm and fuzzy on the inside.
INFPs are warm and fuzzy inside and out.
:D

Perhaps the doesn't suffer fools gladly comes from a walls thing, vs a judgement thing. One protects something inside. The other is externally directed. Interesting point there though.

Hm. Could be. Good distinction.

Could you verbalise the Ne that is giving you xNTP?

No. It just fits patterns I've observed in a lot of INTPs and ENTPs, and if you combine the two types I see nothing that I can't see neither an INTP nor an ENTP potentially doing.

Some of the things you mentioned that are typical of the INTPs and ENTPs I know:
# A master wordsmith. Extremely well-read, can hold his own on any debate on personality, philosophy, religion, politics and sociology.(ENTP and INTP)
# An observer of human nature, but he does not judge them. Seems to enjoy poking them for reactions, (ENTP and INTP) though uncomfortable being poked himself. ( INTP)
# A quiet sense of humour and a sense of fun that can be sparked, but the play seems to come as a response vs an initiative, but it could be because I'm not in his inner circle. (INTP)
# If irritated/frustrated, it shows via class sarcasm, for want of a better word. Does not suffer fools gladly, simply ignores most or take veiled stabs at them. But always with a smile.(INTP and some ENTPs)

And jumping to conclusions is an INFP trait? :D

Absolutely. Or rather... jumping to hypotheses and testing them. ;) But it will look like jumping to conclusions for others.

As for the edit being unfair: I did it right after posting before there were any replies, so if you hadn't been so eager on stalking your own threads and wearing out your F5, it would all have been good. :D

Atomic Fiend

Actually that depends on the debate, if it were something personal, then yes we would lose our cool, because we'd feel you were talking about something that had nothing to do with you, but we aren't so touchy that we'd just snap over a debate about politics or something petty like that, in fact that isn't the sign of an F at all. That is just a sign of emotional immaturity. I'd like to believe that someone with Dominant or Auxillary feeling, would know how to control it after using it for all of there waking life. NFJs understand that debates aren't anything personal, just a way that some prefer to gain understanding, though many may still attempt to avoid them, as it's just not the way we gain understanding, often times we already know what we believe, or at least have a good idea.

Also, I think your guy is INFJ also, a very mature one too. INFJs can give the illusion of being more mature then they actually are, until you get them to open there mouth and they say something completly off the wall. It's a good measure, not if they say something off the wall, because I assure you they probably will, but what they say.

Basically what I'm trying to say is aelen, to take that horse to a quiet field and ride him. ;)