• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type Help, Please

Hazel

Greetings.

I am new to this forum, but have been interested in and studying MBTI and Jungian functions since I was a teen. I believe I have strongly developed Fe and am either ISFJ or INFJ. I am certain that I am an introvert. I need LARGE quantities of time alone, in my own space, doing my own thing. But everything I've learned at this point feels like it's just swimming around in my head. I can see good arguments for either side. If you're interested in helping me type myself, please keep reading, and thanks in advance either way.

I have strong feelings and can be romantic, but not in a traditional or stereotypical way. I also don't have premonitions about the future. What I AM good at is inferring things based on limited information, or reading between the lines. I get a lot of "How did you know that?" from friends. I wonder sometimes why people can't seem to get along with each other. I see people being put off by others' surface behaviors and don't know why they can't see through to the motivation behind it and interact with people on that level instead. I live very much in my head and my moods can be based on nothing at all in the real world. When I was younger, I used to hear "You're so weird," a lot. I still hear it, but mostly in a good way. I used to be very shy, but am now pretty friendly and chatty, and most people accept me for who I am, and just roll their eyes at my weirdness.

Here's where it gets confusing. I sometimes wonder if I am an Si user. I had a difficult childhood and spend a lot of time thinking about it and how it has made me who I am. And I often find myself having the feeling of actually re-experiencing anger or embarrassment from a long time ago. I can have a very good memory of what someone said or did a long time ago, though I am sometimes unclear on the order in which things happened. As a child, I trusted adults and believed, for the most part, in doing as I was told. I did not like to break rules or get in trouble-- but I often insisted on knowing the rationale behind rules.

When it comes to learning, I definitely need to see an endpoint before I can make sense of individual steps. That is, I need to know where I'm aiming to end up before I can develop a process for getting there. However, I can be rather slow past a certain initial understanding of new information. I understand new things, up to a point, quickly enough to become incredibly frustrated and discouraged when I stop understanding and actually have to do the grunt work.

I'm happy to provide other information, though it seems I've already written quite a lot! Thanks if you've gotten this far.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Greetings.

I am new to this forum, but have been interested in and studying MBTI and Jungian functions since I was a teen. I believe I have strongly developed Fe and am either ISFJ or INFJ. I am certain that I am an introvert. I need LARGE quantities of time alone, in my own space, doing my own thing. But everything I've learned at this point feels like it's just swimming around in my head. I can see good arguments for either side. If you're interested in helping me type myself, please keep reading, and thanks in advance either way.

I have strong feelings and can be romantic, but not in a traditional or stereotypical way. I also don't have premonitions about the future. What I AM good at is inferring things based on limited information, or reading between the lines. I get a lot of "How did you know that?" from friends. I wonder sometimes why people can't seem to get along with each other. I see people being put off by others' surface behaviors and don't know why they can't see through to the motivation behind it and interact with people on that level instead. I live very much in my head and my moods can be based on nothing at all in the real world. When I was younger, I used to hear "You're so weird," a lot. I still hear it, but mostly in a good way. I used to be very shy, but am now pretty friendly and chatty, and most people accept me for who I am, and just roll their eyes at my weirdness.

Here's where it gets confusing. I sometimes wonder if I am an Si user. I had a difficult childhood and spend a lot of time thinking about it and how it has made me who I am. And I often find myself having the feeling of actually re-experiencing anger or embarrassment from a long time ago. I can have a very good memory of what someone said or did a long time ago, though I am sometimes unclear on the order in which things happened. As a child, I trusted adults and believed, for the most part, in doing as I was told. I did not like to break rules or get in trouble-- but I often insisted on knowing the rationale behind rules.

When it comes to learning, I definitely need to see an endpoint before I can make sense of individual steps. That is, I need to know where I'm aiming to end up before I can develop a process for getting there. However, I can be rather slow past a certain initial understanding of new information. I understand new things, up to a point, quickly enough to become incredibly frustrated and discouraged when I stop understanding and actually have to do the grunt work.

I'm happy to provide other information, though it seems I've already written quite a lot! Thanks if you've gotten this far.
I am willing to go with ISFJ for you actually (despite all the intuitive type process you got). You don't seem very Ni in my opinion but more Ne which is the fourth function of ISFJ. I see the rest and perhaps the rationale behind the rule could have been your Ti (the third function for ISFJ).

Hazel

I am willing to go with ISFJ for you actually (despite all the intuitive type process you got). You don't seem very Ni in my opinion but more Ne which is the fourth function of ISFJ. I see the rest and perhaps the rationale behind the rule could have been your Ti (the third function for ISFJ).

Interesting. Would you mind elaborating on how you see the inferior Ne? I admit that since it is the ISFJ inferior function, I haven't paid as much attention to it as I have to Ni/Si. Does it seem to you that I am in fact Si dominant?

I'm also open to the possibility that I may not be either of these two types, so hey. Thank you for your thoughts.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Interesting. Would you mind elaborating on how you see the inferior Ne? I admit that since it is the ISFJ inferior function, I haven't paid as much attention to it as I have to Ni/Si. Does it seem to you that I am in fact Si dominant?

I'm also open to the possibility that I may not be either of these two types, so hey. Thank you for your thoughts.
Mainly this part:

"I wonder sometimes why people can't seem to get along with each other. I see people being put off by others' surface behaviors and don't know why they can't see through to the motivation behind it and interact with people on that level instead."

That really seems Ne to me and the Si a bit as well. I get the "living in your heard" type alone time being Ni but I don't think that is all there is to Ni which is pretty much all you expressed that would seem "Ni" at all in my opinion. I think it just comes down to you simply being very introverted more then being an Ni with that. I don't know any ISFJ/INFJs in person so I really can't say but I am going on what I think would be possible since I don't like absolutes where some people jump at the whole "I am an N over S because I am in my own head" type deal (not that you came off that way but just saying its not all there is to it). What other types are you considering?

Hazel

Mainly this part:

"I wonder sometimes why people can't seem to get along with each other. I see people being put off by others' surface behaviors and don't know why they can't see through to the motivation behind it and interact with people on that level instead."

That really seems Ne to me and the Si a bit as well. I get the "living in your heard" type alone time being Ni but I don't think that is all there is to Ni which is pretty much all you expressed that would seem "Ni" at all in my opinion. I think it just comes down to you simply being very introverted more then being an Ni with that. I don't know any ISFJ/INFJs in person so I really can't say but I am going on what I think would be possible since I don't like absolutes where some people jump at the whole "I am an N over S because I am in my own head" type deal (not that you came off that way but just saying its not all there is to it). What other types are you considering?

*Nods* Right, right, I hear that. I don't think "living in my head" and being introverted alone qualify me as an Ni user, since Si dominants also spend a lot of time with their own thoughts. I realize I was unclear in my organization above-- the fact that I am introverted and live in my own head is a trait I feel can go either S or N.

The statement you chose as an Ne indicator seems like the Ne of a person with Ne in first or second position. Isn't the inferior function usually manifest in a weakened or maladaptive manner? I see my ability to see past surface behavior as a positive trait.

I don't really have any other types in mind. I'm just open to the possibility that I may be totally off. I sometimes identify with INFP, but I truly feel I am Fe and not Fi. I will think about what you've said.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
*Nods* Right, right, I hear that. I don't think "living in my head" and being introverted alone qualify me as an Ni user, since Si dominants also spend a lot of time with their own thoughts. I realize I was unclear in my organization above-- the fact that I am introverted and live in my own head is a trait I feel can go either S or N.

The statement you chose as an Ne indicator seems like the Ne of a person with Ne in first or second position. Isn't the inferior function usually manifest in a weakened or maladaptive manner? I see my ability to see past surface behavior as a positive trait.

I don't really have any other types in mind. I'm just open to the possibility that I may be totally off. I sometimes identify with INFP, but I truly feel I am Fe and not Fi. I will think about what you've said.
Well see that is the thing in my opinion. That was the only "intuitive" thing if you will that you said in my opinion. That is partly due to your Si as well but I think there is some trace of Ne as well. It could be inferior since its still there but just not that much (in your description at least). I do see you a bit as an Fi but I don't know much about how you "feel" about people but I am convinced that you're the type who is more Fe/Fi then Te/Ti for sure.

Presumptuous Pepper

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Greetings.

1. Has someone heard or seen you work through a situation or do they see you stare off into space as you think it out in your head?
2. Do you give attention to what is going on around you or are you always comparing things now to what happened in the past?
3. Do other people tell you it's easy to know how you're feeling or is it hard for them to tell (It will be hard for people around you to tell but you will know exactly how you're feeling).
4. Has anyone ever heard or seen you make connections between different subjects or do she say something and they wonder how you got from point A to point B?

can you do this and then i can maybe tell you better...from this point you seem like ISFX :D

Hazel

Hi! Thanks for the offer of help.

1. Has someone heard or seen you work through a situation or do they see you stare off into space as you think it out in your head?
I usually stare off quietly, but when finally I do speak, I give a point-by-point run down of how I came to my conclusion. I don't like people to attack my conclusion because they don't understand my premise, so I give them the whole thing. But I need time to get there.

2. Do you give attention to what is going on around you or are you always comparing things now to what happened in the past?
Neither? I'm not often paying attention to what's going on around me, but I don't compare past and present, either.

3. Do other people tell you it's easy to know how you're feeling or is it hard for them to tell (It will be hard for people around you to tell but you will know exactly how you're feeling).
I've always gotten "Are you all right?" when all I'm doing is thinking. But if I'm talking about something, interacting with someone, then I think it's easy to know how I feel about whatever it is. I wasn't always this way. People used to tell me "You always look calm," no matter what mood I was in. I've become a lot more expressive since my late 20s, probably because I'm a lot more socially confident than I used to be.

4. Has anyone ever heard or seen you make connections between different subjects or do she say something and they wonder how you got from point A to point B? I realize this is incredibly unhelpful, but... both. And it depends on the person. I'm lucky enough to have people in my life who understand my "shorthand," so to speak. But I have to screen people before I speak freely, or I'll just get the old smile-and-nod.

Hazel

I looked at some of the other threads and saw this survey. Don't know if it will help, but here goes. I'd also be interested in any enneagram suggestions, if you have them. I've tested as a bunch of different types and am completely in the dark on this point.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
I don't have premonitions the way INFJs are supposed to, and I sometimes think I use Si. But it's weird. I have very strong emotional memories (I can conjure up a memory and feel the embarrassment or anger all over again), but I don't compare the present to the past. I am relatively non-traditional in many ways.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I want to feel that I've done something significant for the world, or at least for some small population, and I want to somehow be acknowledged as a quality person. I'm never sure of myself or who I really am, and often feel that I would like someone to sit me down and tell me who I am.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
It's hard to think about a specific time, but I suppose I feel my best when I've managed to demonstrate to the people around me that I can be competent and trustworthy. Inside, I feel like such a jumble that I think that must be how others see me. So it makes me feel good to think that I've proven I can be kind and helpful and intelligent.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
Thinking about my lack of knowledge in so many areas. Watching a virtuoso display his/her talents.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
Is it right? Is it possible? What will the long-term repercussions be?

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Yes, I like to have control. It's important to me that I be able to envision a final product/goal, even if the end result doesn't exactly line up. I am definitely results, rather than process oriented.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I have a great time with the other women in my department at work. There are four of us, and at our weekly meetings, we sit in a small conference room, bring in snacks, and spend the first 30 minutes catching up on each others' lives. We joke and often laugh till we cry. It just makes me feel so good to be able to be myself at work.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I hate hate hate when someone is trying to teach me something and goes step-by-step without explaining to me what they want me to achieve in the end. In most cases, I would rather just be told what the goal is and allowed to find my own process. I like to have my own time to think about what I'm trying to learn, and then devise my own best plan for learning it. At that point, I need to get hands on and test my plan. Then I need more time for things to become internalized and organic before I add to my knowledge.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I prefer to be organized. But it doesn't come naturally. I have worked hard to develop systems for keeping myself organized, and they have mostly worked. Most people perceive me as someone who has her act together. They don't see all the work that goes into it.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
Always the principles. If the principles aren't there, there's no point in looking for supporting information.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Uh... both? I like to be inclusive and included, but I'm not afraid of being ostracized if that what it takes to stick with my beliefs. At the same time, I don't voice my beliefs simply for the sake of being heard.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

THINKS FIRST. Even then, I sometimes regret what I've said after. And sometimes I wait too long and the opportunity has passed. I definitely prefer one-on-one or very small group discussions.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
Look before leaping. Actions are more important than words. But words can be actions in themselves.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Tell them I'll catch them next time and pop open a pint of ice cream.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I get really lethargic and dopey. I have trouble concentrating and seem "out of it." I run short on patience and things that wouldn't normally get to me seem to strike right to the bone.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I hate people who think that because they're angry or hurt, it gives them the right to behave badly. You're allowed to feel what you feel, but you're still responsible for treating others with respect. I spend a lot of time thinking about the effect my actions have on others, so I resent it when other people are inconsiderate. I also dislike it when people have an overdeveloped sense of entitlement.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Other people! Their motivations, their feelings, and where those feelings and motivations come from.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?
I honest to God don't know how to answer this question. I feel like my brain is firing all cylinders all the time on every aspect of my life. LOL.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
One way in which my friends are mistaken about me is in their belief that because I am insightful, I am also emotionally stable. No. Knowing my issues and having my issues under control are two different things. I can have twenty different moods a day. None of my friends would ever say I was arrogant or willfully cruel.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Taking a long walk. Playing the piano. Eating brunch out. Maybe shopping. Doing a home improvement or decor project. Seeing a close friend or two in the evening, perhaps. Some shopping.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hello again [MENTION=15642]Hazel[/MENTION]. I am still sticking with ISFJ based off of your answers to the questions you provided. Hope that and my previous reasoning helps out. If you want me to explain myself again regarding the questions; I feel free to do so.

Hazel

Thanks again for your help!

Hello again [MENTION=15642]Hazel[/MENTION]. I am still sticking with ISFJ based off of your answers to the questions you provided. Hope that and my previous reasoning helps out. If you want me to explain myself again regarding the questions; I feel free to do so.