• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my father

Presumptuous Pepper

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
ill bring around some facts and you can tell me then

- He is not emotionally expresive - he is like a closed book in this area
- He is a practical person, visually oriented, but also a very theoretical and interested in knowing many things, reading a lot
- He is good in talking to people, he knows how to start conversation
- he is prone on making nasty judgments of people, he is good in seeing through people and from one conversation he couldve easily tell what type of a person they are
- he is talkative person as well, good in company of others
- he doesn't like emotionally involving questions, he is closed in this point, he likes debating with people about his interests
- his interest are many but huge ones are politics, geography and history
- he is kinda putting off things often, spontaneous also
- he is down to earth person - prone to recalling the past but no matter how deep in thought he's thoughts are very realistic and down to earth
- he likes nice, expensive things but he is also a money saver in a way
- when he was younger he liked to live an easy life really, back then he was a spender and liked finest things
- he seems as an open person but he is often mystery to me and emotionally unreachable

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

- He is a practical person, visually oriented, but also a very theoretical and interested in knowing many things, reading a lot
- he is prone on making nasty judgments of people, he is good in seeing through people and from one conversation he couldve easily tell what type of a person they are
- he doesn't like emotionally involving questions, he is closed in this point, he likes debating with people about his interests
- he is down to earth person - prone to recalling the past but no matter how deep in thought he's thoughts are very realistic and down to earth
- when he was younger he liked to live an easy life really, back then he was a spender and liked finest things
- he seems as an open person but he is often mystery to me and emotionally unreachable

I would say...

MBTI: ISTJ
Full Type: ISTJ 5w6 Sp/So

Of course, this is only going by the information provided. It might be good to describe his motivations and ambitions are, as well as what he worries about most.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

How would you describe your father if you were an INTJ instead of an INFP?

Presumptuous Pepper

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would say...

Of course, this is only going by the information provided. It might be good to describe his motivations and ambitions are, as well as what he worries about most.

my impressions are - nothing to high i think...his ambitious are to have family but also to be dedicated to his interests and his job
he often changed jobs and he comes across as kinda "demanding" person and when smth is not like he likes to he kinda does his own things or just leaves the job if he dislikes it
He worries about the money the most...or doesn't worry a lot at all...even if we don't have money problems
but he is not a big worrier really - he is more of a panic person and he panics in one moment but not worries about things for a long time

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol what do you mean? :D

A personality is very complex, but when we try to describe one briefly we all boil it down to a few principles that our own personalities are comfortable with. A Thinking type might not even notice your father's lack of emotions, which was mentioned in 3 of your points, but would focus on the breadth or depth of his intellect.

Presumptuous Pepper

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
A personality is very complex, but when we try to describe one briefly we all boil it down to a few principles that our own personalities are comfortable with. A Thinking type might not even notice your father's lack of emotions, which was mentioned in 3 of your points, but would focus on the breadth or depth of his intellect.

he was pretty intellectual - i did say that. Yeah i did notice he was emotionally closed but that doesn't mean i thought my father was unemotional person - exactly the opposite - he wasn't just too keen about dealing with emotions
But im not the only person noticed he is emotionally closed book - my mother is an ISTJ but she says the same thing :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
he was pretty intellectual - i did say that. Yeah i did notice he was emotionally closed but that doesn't mean i thought my father was unemotional person - exactly the opposite - he wasn't just too keen about dealing with emotions
But im not the only person noticed he is emotionally closed book - my mother is an ISTJ but she says the same thing :)

But what I'm saying is that there are different ways of being intellectual that distinguish all these Thinking types. This is information a Thinking type might be able to describe, and a Feeling type, I'm sure with some training in psychology but that much detail is not normally the focus of attention. What does he think about, and how does he think about it? (He sounds like an ISTJ to me, btw.)

Presumptuous Pepper

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
But what I'm saying is that there are different ways of being intellectual that distinguish all these Thinking types. This is information a Thinking type might be able to describe, and a Feeling type, I'm sure with some training in psychology but that much detail is not normally the focus of attention. What does he think about, and how does he think about it? (He sounds like an ISTJ to me, btw.)

general knowledge oriented - he was mostly information gatherer - he wasn't anything like idea person, he was mostly just discussing things in less innovative way. He is very literal when it comes to it, concrete but he can get creative and come across as unconventional in his opinions. He likes better open-minded ideas.
He seemed both as traditional and unconventional - it is hard to explain.
But im kinda hard in believing he was an introvert. He was energized by people.

He was also a good present picker, skillful around people and he was able to come as he is and make the best out of it.
He is very much about fun and from how much i heard from grans, he was always the life of the party.
He did everything in a last minute mostly. Still does.
Thous are some more traits that would might help typing him.

Im sure he is an S person... and pretty confident he is a T person...

you have to tell me better what kind of information do you need about his thinking - i know they differ but im telling you his way of thinking is strange to me...not how i would think at all for example :S just the way how he process things is far more different then mine.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
general knowledge oriented - he was mostly information gatherer - he wasn't anything like idea person, he was mostly just discussing things in less innovative way. He is very literal when it comes to it, concrete but he can get creative and come across as unconventional in his opinions. He likes better open-minded ideas.
He seemed both as traditional and unconventional - it is hard to explain.
But im kinda hard in believing he was an introvert. He was energized by people.

He was also a good present picker, skillful around people and he was able to come as he is and make the best out of it.
He is very much about fun and from how much i heard from grans, he was always the life of the party.
He did everything in a last minute mostly. Still does.
Thous are some more traits that would might help typing him.

Im sure he is an S person... and pretty confident he is a T person...

you have to tell me better what kind of information do you need about his thinking - i know they differ but im telling you his way of thinking is strange to me...not how i would think at all for example :S just the way how he process things is far more different then mine.
Perhaps ESTP with a balanced Se-Ti? I only said ISTP at first because he seems like a Ti dominant.

Presumptuous Pepper

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Perhaps ESTP with a balanced Se-Ti? I only said ISTP at first because he seems like a Ti dominant.

I get ya! Done a little bit research lately myself! Yeah he does seem like Ti dominant when i put it like that - put to be honest he is not rigid enough to be a dominant thinker :) And he seemed very observant of his surrounding and his observation of external objects was very much active which indicates Se before Si aka ESTP before ISTJ. Besides functions...I thought myself once before an ESTP because of these things:
-gestures and gentleman behavior
-"The ESTP often has trouble in school, especially higher education which moves into realms where theory is more important. The ESTP gets bored with classes in which they feel they gain no useful material which can be used to get things done. The ESTP may be brilliantly intelligent, but school will be a difficult chore for them." - exactly my father
-they say ESTPs are good sales mans - that is also very true for my father
- they like finest things - my fathers craving for them

I'm not typing him according to a profile, before someone complains on me. I looked into functions primarily but this profile also fits.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
I get ya! Done a little bit research lately myself! Yeah he does seem like Ti dominant when i put it like that - put to be honest he is not rigid enough to be a dominant thinker :) And he seemed very observant of his surrounding and his observation of external objects was very much active which indicates Se before Si aka ESTP before ISTJ. Besides functions...I thought myself once before an ESTP because of these things:
-gestures and gentleman behavior
-"The ESTP often has trouble in school, especially higher education which moves into realms where theory is more important. The ESTP gets bored with classes in which they feel they gain no useful material which can be used to get things done. The ESTP may be brilliantly intelligent, but school will be a difficult chore for them." - exactly my father
-they say ESTPs are good sales mans - that is also very true for my father
- they like finest things - my fathers craving for them

I'm not typing him according to a profile, before someone complains on me. I looked into functions primarily but this profile also fits.
Between Se and Si I think Se would suit him more so he may be ESTP. How "theoretical" can he get though?

I ask this because he seems like a sensor and if he does have a very good theoretical side then that must be Ti. Ti is the best function to be able to break down concepts and look at them. So I can see how an ISTP may come off as an intuitive or an ESTP with a balanced Se-Ti. The "rigidness" is not all there is to Ti.

Presumptuous Pepper

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Between Se and Si I think Se would suit him more so he may be ESTP. How "theoretical" can he get though?

I ask this because he seems like a sensor and if he does have a very good theoretical side then that must be Ti. Ti is the best function to be able to break down concepts and look at them. So I can see how an ISTP may come off as an intuitive or an ESTP with a balanced Se-Ti. The "rigidness" is not all there is to Ti.

I mostly concluded this on impression from people i know who are ISTP and ESTP...i kinda work on impressions i bit
I think he mostly just observes theories but does not theorize himself. He is easily interested and likes to notice things but there is where story ends - he is not big breaking down concepts - if he does it it's very moderately - i would call it like his strongest side of a character. He mostly talks with people about information on one subject if i can remember - and often goes from one person to another.
Theoretical - he is theoretical but i wouldn't say it's a dominant thing in his character - he is mostly visual and practical - he likes to move into an action more.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
I mostly concluded this on impression from people i know who are ISTP and ESTP...i kinda work on impressions i bit
I think he mostly just observes theories but does not theorize himself. He is easily interested and likes to notice things but there is where story ends - he is not big breaking down concepts - if he does it it's very moderately - i would call it like his strongest side of a character. He mostly talks with people about information on one subject if i can remember - and often goes from one person to another.
Theoretical - he is theoretical but i wouldn't say it's a dominant thing in his character - he is mostly visual and practical - he likes to move into an action more.
Nice! Perfect description of my dad (whom is ESTP) so yeah; I am going with ESTP for now but if anything else comes up like an update or if you give him the cognitive test/MBTI test and I'm wrong then let me know please. I like doing this stuff. ^^

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
To me he sounds like an ESTJ. I almost said ISTJ, but you said he'll suddenly have bursts of spontaneity (tertiary Ne) and that he's good at starting conversations.

I totally feel that he is an Si type, and more Te than Fe.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would say...

:hifive:

Except if her ISTJ mother says he's "emotionally closed" it may be because he's rejecting his feeling function. Like an ESTJ would. And an ESTJ would have some Ne traits.

This also makes sense with him being "an information gatherer" and being both "traditional and innovative." He has Si and Ne in close range.

Of course, there's a possibility he could be Ti/Se...can you tell us more about him...like...I don't think an ISTP would be a good conversation starter, for example, or really awesome with people, even though he would be rejecting Fe and emotional expression.

Hmmm.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
To me he sounds like an ESTJ. I almost said ISTJ, but you said he'll suddenly have bursts of spontaneity (tertiary Ne) and that he's good at starting conversations.

I totally feel that he is an Si type, and more Te than Fe.
May you express to me how he strikes you as Si over Se? I see your point of Ne (but since its a tertiary its hard to follow in my mind since Pepper made it seem like something he shows a lot) but the Si over Se I fail to see; so please explain. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
May you express to me how he strikes you as Si over Se? I see your point of Ne (but since its a tertiary its hard to follow in my mind since Pepper made it seem like something he shows a lot) but the Si over Se I fail to see; so please explain. :)

He's her dad. This means two things: he's at least middle-aged, and she sees more of the "real him" than someone would in public or an acquaintance would. So of course she'd be aware of his tertiary.

If he were ESTP he'd be more emotionally expressive by middle age. His wife would definitely see his Fe, and she says ISTJ mommy says he's "emotionally closed." When I see "emotionally closed" I either think of TJs or IxTPs...or the occasional highly repressed IxFP. On the other hand, if he were ISTP I doubt he'd be good at carrying on conversations with people.

I also doubt he'd make what the OP views as strict, unfair snap judgements as a primary Se or Ti type at his age.

I mean I'm not saying this for sure, but him having a ton of Fe definitely does not jump out at me, fo sho.
She says he also talks with people about ONE SUBJECT...sounds like Si.

Mitsuko Souma

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
He's her dad. This means two things: he's at least middle-aged, and she sees more of the "real him" than someone would in public or an acquaintance would. So of course she'd be aware of his tertiary.

If he were ESTP he'd be more emotionally expressive by middle age. His wife would definitely see his Fe, and she says ISTJ mommy says he's "emotionally closed." When I see "emotionally closed" I either think of TJs or IxTPs...or the occasional highly repressed IxFP. On the other hand, if he were ISTP I doubt he'd be good at carrying on conversations with people.

I also doubt he'd make what the OP views as strict, unfair snap judgements as a primary Se or Ti type at his age.

I mean I'm not saying this for sure, but him having a ton of Fe definitely does not jump out at me, fo sho.
She says he also talks with people about ONE SUBJECT...sounds like Si.
I like your point. Thank you for sharing.