• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is my INTP status in jeopardy?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Forget about tests for a moment, and read type descriptions, alot of them for each likely type. You should get a sense of which type fits best from that. Also, if you have friends or colleagues who know you well and are familiar with MBTI, ask their opinion.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Alas the only person I know in real-life who actually has an active interest in MBTI is my grandfather, and I only see him once or twice a year because he lives in another country. He thought I was ENTP before I took the test :laugh:

Reading through more of the type descriptions and none of them really fit the way INTP does. I'm looking into the Enneagram a little bit deeper and I'm reluctantly finding it quite fascinating. I don't know why I don't want to like it, but it is a very elegant system (at least, the way Magic Poriferan has described it in the enneagram forum).

A

Anew Leaf

Yeah that's the issue of being familiar with the theory. It's hard to be totally unbiased. The test I took was rather short as well, I'll see if I can hunt down a longer one.

Not really, I do associate very strongly with INTP. I'm just curious to see if anyone else doubts it. I haven't thought about typology in many months, and I got re-interested last week. When I remembered what the career counselor said, I wanted to know if anyone else doubted my INTPness (*snigger*).

Any other type that seems plausible... ENTP maybe, though it depends on what definition of extroversion/introversion you're running with. If it's that Introverts get energy from solitude and Extroverts get energy from people, then I'm definitely I. I could possibly see myself typing as an SP either. I must reread all the profiles and see :reading:

Maybe that's less of an NF thing and more of a sociopath thing ;)

If you insult me with these NF tags again, I'm gonna eat all these cookies and there'll be none left for you :threaten: :smile:

cookie.jpg

Pfft, NF's are like cookie trees. We can eat ourselves.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Shit, I meant INTP status* Can a mod fix my thread title? :(

So, I first got into typology about 3 years ago when I read Kiersey's book Please Understand Me. While I think his behavioral model is a little simplistic, it gave me the general gist of things. I tested INTx, though I did a lot of research into it and found INTP fitted far better. Ni is a little alien to me :blush:

Anyway, I spoke to a career counselor last year who asked me if I knew about MBTI. I said that yes I did (quite interested in it, in fact), and she disbelieved me when I said INTP. She didn't think it fit me at all :shock:, but she didn't say what type she thought I might be.

Out of curiosity, I took another online test a few days ago which gave me INFP - however I know an INFP and I really don't resonate with his thought patterns.

Anyway, I was hoping some of you could help me. I still think I'm INTP but I'd be interested to hear your opinions. Ask me any questions you like and I'll try to answer honestly as possible. I should also probably mention that the functions in my sig are a few years old at this point. I'll retake the test sometime soon!

There's even cookies in it for you :D

cookies-chocFP.jpg

More than 2 smileys in a post means automatic SP. I'm not making this up. It's SCIENCE.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
So what should I know for my new life as a fun, bubbly SP?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
So what should I know for my new life as a fun, bubbly SP?

Let's see:
* Start drinking casually
* Get a job in PR
* Join a gym
* Join another gym
* Find a partner who likes to go to the gym
* Gym gym gym gym gym
* Date someone named Jim
* Slap into a SlimJim

Yeah.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
Gym you say? :thinking: Er.... Any chance I can be welcomed back into the NT fold?

I've no idea what a SlimJim is, but Google tells me it's edible.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
*sigh* Quelle domage. I guess I'll have to resign myself to Artisandom. At least they tend to be good musicians :D

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
About enneagram, I just found this rather interesting differentiation between the wings:

If you are the Enneagram Type 5 with the 4 Wing, you desire to appear imaginative. You see yourself as aloof, understated, penetrating, intuitive, inquisitive and quiet.

If you are the Enneagram Type 5 with the 6 Wing, you desire to appear intellectual. You see yourself as changeable, receptive, careful, whimsical and trustworthy.

I think from that description, 5w6 suits much better. I'm not as cold as a lot of the profiles make 5s out to be though. It's rather imperfect :shrug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, she didn't mention why. She asked if I knew about MBTI; I said I did, and that I was an INTP. She sort of raised her eyebrow and said nothing. We then started going through a list of stuff, and she randomly popped out with, "No, I don't think you're really INTP. I'm not getting that vibe." *shrug*

I have done lots and lots of reading on typology. I'm terrible at typing other people though. I've read all the profiles from lots of different sources and I do identify with INTP above any other. That may just be wishful thinking though :D

I don't blame you for that kind of wishful thinking. But if you're having a difficult time sorting this issue out, then you're probably an INFP after all. It would be nice to know what some of your interests are.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I really must refute INFP. I've read an awful lot of INFP profiles and they don't fit me at all :laugh:

I don't think interests or hobbies have much to do with type, but here you go anyway: I love music - I play flute, piano, ukulele and tin-whistle, though I can pick up most instruments and bang out a tune or two easily enough (once you know a little of musical theory that sort of thing is very easy). I also like to read, to write (to a lesser extent), learn languages (I'm working on Swedish for fun), to knit (badly) and sew (even worse). When I was still in "high school" I was on the debating team for two years. I've also been rather enchanted by magic tricks since I was very young (I even put on a "magic show" once with my cousin) but I never had the patience to learn much sleight of hand. I study Computing Science in university, though I used to study liberal arts (Music and English) before college stomped all the interest out of me :laugh:.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really must refute INFP. I've read an awful lot of INFP profiles and they don't fit me at all :laugh:

I don't think interests or hobbies have much to do with type, but here you go anyway: I love music - I play flute, piano, ukulele and tin-whistle, though I can pick up most instruments and bang out a tune or two easily enough (once you know a little of musical theory that sort of thing is very easy). I also like to read, to write (to a lesser extent), learn languages (I'm working on Swedish for fun), to knit (badly) and sew (even worse). When I was still in "high school" I was on the debating team for two years. I've also been rather enchanted by magic tricks since I was very young (I even put on a "magic show" once with my cousin) but I never had the patience to learn much sleight of hand. I study Computing Science in university, though I used to study liberal arts (Music and English) before college stomped all the interest out of me :laugh:.

You are INFP.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't think interests or hobbies have much to do with type, but here you go anyway: I love music - I play flute, piano, ukulele and tin-whistle,...

It is rather strange of you to say that interests or hobbies don't have much to do with type, they have as much to do with type as career choice.

http://personalityjunkie.com/2009/12/28/infp-personality-type-careers-majors-jobs-interests/

On the Strong / Holland inventory, INFPs often exhibit “Artistic” and “Social” interests. Those interested in the “arts” may be drawn to music, theater / drama, visual arts, healing arts, graphic design, interior design, and the like. Others may opt to study creative writing, poetry, or literature, perhaps even at the graduate level. If combined with “Realistic” interests, those of the INFP personality type may choose to study landscape or traditional architecture, archeology, sculpting, software design, or environmental science.

INFPs possessing “Social” interests will often gravitate toward healthcare/medical professions, counseling, ministry, psychology, journalism, or potentially teaching. Since they tend to be more perceptive than directive, INFPs typically do better in one-to-one interaction than teaching large groups. If they do opt to teach, they will usually enjoy the role of facilitator rather than lecturer, believing in the value of organic and experiential learning.

Those are examples of INFP interests, this doesn't say you have to be interested in all of them. It gives a general drift of interests toward those things you mentioned above, and away from things such as, oh, skydiving and auto mechanics.

You will learn that there is a strong correlation between interests and personality type.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not really getting 5 for you, you don't seem to have issues with emotional repression and you don't seem detached in the 5 way... I think if you ARE INTP then a 5 score is pretty typical; but based on what I know of you perhaps you should see if type 9 fits you? Type 9 thinking types can come off being pretty feely, and that's the general feel I get from your posts. (in before I'm a terrible analyst because I use vibes >_>)

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I did test as a 9 a year or two ago, but the description was vague and didn't really fit me. I wrote off enneagram as wishy-washy bullshit (a la astrology) for a good while based on that experience :laugh:

It is rather strange of you to say that interests or hobbies don't have much to do with type, they have as much to do with type as career choice.

http://personalityjunkie.com/2009/12/28/infp-personality-type-careers-majors-jobs-interests/

Those are examples of INFP interests, this doesn't say you have to be interested in all of them. It gives a general drift of interests toward those things you mentioned above, and away from things such as, oh, skydiving and auto mechanics.

You will learn that there is a strong correlation between interests and personality type.

So INTPs can't be interested in the arts? What nonsense.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did test as a 9 a year or two ago, but the description was vague and didn't really fit me. I wrote off enneagram as wishy-washy bullshit (a la astrology) for a good while based on that experience :laugh:

So INTPs can't be interested in the arts? What nonsense.

I didn't give any proof by negatives. You are INFP, and I'm not trying to DISPROVE intp there. Your stated interests point toward INFP. But there are common traits that can confuse the two. They both often have their heads in the clouds; they can drift from interest to interest; they are both thin-skinned types; they can be very argumentative. The INTP, on the other hand, doesn't typically go asking the advice of a counselor. And the INTP doesn't typically have a problem identifying with a type. On the contrary, the INFP and ENFP have the most difficulty identifying with a type.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I didn't give any proof by negatives. You are INFP, and I'm not trying to DISPROVE intp there. Your stated interests point toward INFP. But there are common traits that can confuse the two. They both often have their heads in the clouds; they can drift from interest to interest; they are both thin-skinned types; they can be very argumentative. The INTP, on the other hand, doesn't typically go asking the advice of a counselor. And the INTP doesn't typically have a problem identifying with a type. On the contrary, the INFP and ENFP have the most difficulty identifying with a type.

I didn't go to the counselor because I wanted to - my parents forced me to go after dropping out of university. I also don't have any problem identifying with type; I merely started this thread to see if anyone else had doubts like the career woman did :laugh:.

I still don't think that there's a strong enough correlation between interests/career and type to say I'm INFP over INTP based on my hobbies. I'd actually be inclined to lean toward ISTP if that were the case, but it's not.