• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ or INFJ? Thanks for the help.

Cold Roses

As a teen I took the MBTI and scored out as an INTJ. It didn't entirely sit well with me. Recently I have taken varying tests, and received either INTJ or INFJ. Which is odd, considering. I do know that I trust my enneagram score of 4w5.

I just took the 41q.com test and scored out very distinctly as INF and J, with my usual almost balanced score between I and E. Surprisingly, the T and F were very far off from each other. N always wins. By a large margin.

So, enneagram of 4w5 and I wrote up a rant just last night of the things I thought were important about me for my friends (because they are trying to help me work this out). It's sort of freewheeling, so I will just bullet point the important fundamentals.

A Note: My adopted Bermudian dad, when asked, just told me that I am more feeling than thinking-though I am certainly a thinker in a lot of ways.

-I value intellect and logic and I possess those qualities (ahem, most of the time). Still, I get derailed a lot in my thinking by my feelings. I wish I ran on logic alone, but it just ain't happening. I do get on well with highly logical people, though.

-I will disagree with people, but I try to temper it. When I do get extremely angry, I often become cold and logical and attack in that manner. Seldom happens though, because I really dislike harming others. It takes a lot to get me there.

-I will go to bat for someone I don't even like if I feel like they are being violated, though I can have mercy on a would be violator if it doesn't seem like their intentions were to harm. I guess I believe in redemption.

-My ex boyfriend called me delicate, fragile and fierce and in that moment I agreed with him utterly and knew it was true.

-My gut often tells me if someone is rotten, but I will usually give them the benefit of the doubt anyway for quite a while, though I stay on guard.

-I dislike those that cause harm to others, particularly if it seems intentional. I do try to consider intentions, but if it seems like it's a deliberate and premeditated act, I will become furious. Righteous anger, I guess. Not always attractive.

-I cannot angle after money and prestige at the expense of someone else, or at the expense of my own values. That might seem illogical, but to me it isn't. I am behaving logically according to what is right to me and I respect someone else who does the same...unless they are harming someone else.

-I have been told I have refined tastes in art, music, literature. I don't know if that is true, I tend to like what I like and be unapologetic about it.

-I get caught up in world events, present and past, far too easily. I have to retreat into my own space a lot and ignore the news and even sometimes my chosen field, history, when I get on a jaunt about something that I perceive as evil or dehumanizing.

-I don't want a homogenous world. I like the differences, and I can't fundamentally understand why anyone gives a fig about someone's race or sexual identity. If you aren't causing harm, game on. Extremists bother me. I long for harmony, and appreciation of the unique offerings different people have.

-I recharge by being alone. I have to or I will lose it.

-I am a perfectionist, but I try to perfect myself according to my own standards. I swear sometimes that my crazy arse wants to be a SAINT, morally and ethically, but I also want to develop every aspect of myself (writing, painting, music, any and all intellectual pursuits). I'd prefer to use whatever assets I have to both develop myself and be useful.

-I care more about being useful than being successful, though I will not bend to some standardized idea of what is useful. Still, success wouldn't be bad if it was on terms that didn't compromise my integrity, because I would love to be free to travel, see the world, and do my thing.

-I have written poetry since I was about 4 years old. Still do.

-As much as I want to be left the hell alone sometimes, I think having loving relationships with the people in my life is of deep importance and I struggle with trying to figure out how to be true to myself and do my thing, while making sure that I don't neglect those relationships.

I do have a death stare, though. I didn't even know what that was in the MBTI context until someone brought it to my attention recently. The stare itself has been brought to me attention many times over the years.

Sorry for the length, I can usually be brief when I take the time to synergize and condense but this is driving me nuts and I need help (which I hate asking for).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a teen I took the MBTI and scored out as an INTJ. It didn't entirely sit well with me. Recently I have taken varying tests, and received either INTJ or INFJ. Which is odd, considering. I do know that I trust my enneagram score of 4w5.

I just took the 41q.com test and scored out very distinctly as INF and J, with my usual almost balanced score between I and E. Surprisingly, the T and F were very far off from each other. N always wins. By a large margin.

So, enneagram of 4w5 and I wrote up a rant just last night of the things I thought were important about me for my friends (because they are trying to help me work this out). It's sort of freewheeling, so I will just bullet point the important fundamentals.

A Note: My adopted Bermudian dad, when asked, just told me that I am more feeling than thinking-though I am certainly a thinker in a lot of ways.

-I value intellect and logic and I possess those qualities (ahem, most of the time). Still, I get derailed a lot in my thinking by my feelings. I wish I ran on logic alone, but it just ain't happening. I do get on well with highly logical people, though.

-I will disagree with people, but I try to temper it. When I do get extremely angry, I often become cold and logical and attack in that manner. Seldom happens though, because I really dislike harming others. It takes a lot to get me there.

-I will go to bat for someone I don't even like if I feel like they are being violated, though I can have mercy on a would be violator if it doesn't seem like their intentions were to harm. I guess I believe in redemption.

-My ex boyfriend called me delicate, fragile and fierce and in that moment I agreed with him utterly and knew it was true.

-My gut often tells me if someone is rotten, but I will usually give them the benefit of the doubt anyway for quite a while, though I stay on guard.

-I dislike those that cause harm to others, particularly if it seems intentional. I do try to consider intentions, but if it seems like it's a deliberate and premeditated act, I will become furious. Righteous anger, I guess. Not always attractive.

-I cannot angle after money and prestige at the expense of someone else, or at the expense of my own values. That might seem illogical, but to me it isn't. I am behaving logically according to what is right to me and I respect someone else who does the same...unless they are harming someone else.

-I have been told I have refined tastes in art, music, literature. I don't know if that is true, I tend to like what I like and be unapologetic about it.

-I get caught up in world events, present and past, far too easily. I have to retreat into my own space a lot and ignore the news and even sometimes my chosen field, history, when I get on a jaunt about something that I perceive as evil or dehumanizing.

-I don't want a homogenous world. I like the differences, and I can't fundamentally understand why anyone gives a fig about someone's race or sexual identity. If you aren't causing harm, game on. Extremists bother me. I long for harmony, and appreciation of the unique offerings different people have.

-I recharge by being alone. I have to or I will lose it.

-I am a perfectionist, but I try to perfect myself according to my own standards. I swear sometimes that my crazy arse wants to be a SAINT, morally and ethically, but I also want to develop every aspect of myself (writing, painting, music, any and all intellectual pursuits). I'd prefer to use whatever assets I have to both develop myself and be useful.

-I care more about being useful than being successful, though I will not bend to some standardized idea of what is useful. Still, success wouldn't be bad if it was on terms that didn't compromise my integrity, because I would love to be free to travel, see the world, and do my thing.

-I have written poetry since I was about 4 years old. Still do.

-As much as I want to be left the hell alone sometimes, I think having loving relationships with the people in my life is of deep importance and I struggle with trying to figure out how to be true to myself and do my thing, while making sure that I don't neglect those relationships.

I do have a death stare, though. I didn't even know what that was in the MBTI context until someone brought it to my attention recently. The stare itself has been brought to me attention many times over the years.

Sorry for the length, I can usually be brief when I take the time to synergize and condense but this is driving me nuts and I need help (which I hate asking for).

This sounds eerily familiar, but since I don't know you terribly well, I couldn't have a conclusive perception one way or the other. While it resonates with this particular INFJ, I know often that some INTJs question their type when caught offguard by strong emotional triggers, since they otherwise appear invulnerable to them. My intuition says INFJ [or INFx], though.

::edit::
thought I'd point out, I've mostly tested INFJ [actually stumbled upon MBTI through a career test- there was a list of potential careers, & below that, a link to ''more about your type,'' which was a description of an INFJ, which made sense to me].

On rare occasion, I've retaken tests & come out as INTJ, but I know that's simply not true based on how I use cognitive functions (I have no Te to speak of, it's a travesty :doh:). I figure I'm just expressing my thinking function more while taking those tests, at times, so it gets mixed up sometimes. I've also been mistaken for an INTP by others, here. Ultimately what motivates me at the core, and impacts my decisions the most are values based on intra/interpersonally related emotional dynamics. Ni scope, Fe value focus, Ti rational understanding of these things, oriented & expressed/experienced & acted upon through Se.

Tests are a good indicator but aren't always consistently definitive when it comes to the tricky internal dynamics of someone's personality. It's a static measuring tool for a squirmy object.

Cold Roses

Phobik, that was so amazingly simple. I have done so much reading, and this concise video made it all too abundantly clear. I didn't even get caught up on the T or F. The way it was presented made me see, without a doubt, that I am an F. The J was the same, when I look at my desire to know what to expect (even though perhaps I am wise enough to know that things change and my expectations are going to cause problems). Of course, as soon as the cup was up for description the first thought I had was about it not being biodegradable and bad for the environment. I had to laugh. Introvert was never even called into question for me, to begin with. I had no doubt about that. I know what I prefer and how I recharge.

So, Lexicon-I think you're seeing it. My gut tells me INFJ, as well and so did that short and sweet video.

Permabanned
Phobik, that was so amazingly simple. I have done so much reading, and this concise video made it all too abundantly clear. I didn't even get caught up on the T or F. The way it was presented made me see, without a doubt, that I am an F. The J was the same, when I look at my desire to know what to expect (even though perhaps I am wise enough to know that things change and my expectations are going to cause problems). Of course, as soon as the cup was up for description the first thought I had was about it not being biodegradable and bad for the environment. I had to laugh. Introvert was never even called into question for me, to begin with. I had no doubt about that. I know what I prefer and how I recharge.

So, Lexicon-I think you're seeing it. My gut tells me INFJ, as well and so did that short and sweet video.

I'm glad it was helpful. Maybe the mods can make it part of a sticky and help other lost souls :nerd:

Cold Roses

Eh, crickets. My mind always goes back to INTJ. My first result and my most frequent. I have an enneagram of 4w5 and I suspect maybe that is what is making me both agree with and divert from INTJ. I also don't think I painted the whole picture. It is as if I wanted to argue for only one side of myself so as to shore up the INFJ connection. I just don't know that I am buying what I am selling. And I don't think indecisiveness in this particular matter precludes me from being an INTJ. Plus, death glare. Major case of death glare. I think my gender is playing a role in my own f***ery. I am in the midst of an epic health crisis and I don't have the emotions in check. I think the enneagram plus a well developed Fi is coloring this picture. I have all of these personal ethics and values, but I don't know that I am as humanitarian in the INFJ sense as I would possibly like to be. Wishful thinking, possibly. INTP isn't in the running, however. I want things decided, and I bloody well want this decided. I must be lacking some sort of fundamentally important evidence to decide this and should perhaps have someone else that knows me break it down. I think my judgment is compromised.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It will come.

Btw, I've never seen anybody nail their enneagram complete with stack as fast as you have. Wow.

Cold Roses

Enneagram is perhaps mutable. When I took it, I received a 4w5 with 5w4 being the second best. Today, it was 5w4 with 4w5 being the second. The SP/SX is accurate. I am an INTJ. I think the distinction does matter, because to be an INFJ would mean that I was extroverted feeling as my secondary function, and I don't want to keep deluding myself with this thinking. I have clear ethics and values, but I am not Mother Theresa over here. Introverted Feeling as a tertiary function (albeit a well developed one) is most accurate, and extroverted thinking as a secondary makes most sense. I should have done my thinking out loud elsewhere and other than on this board, but I have concluded that a proper MBTI years ago with the result of INTJ was accurate and is still accurate. I am done mulling this over. It is what it is, and I can tell any fairy story I want: I am a female INTJ with a brutal death stare and a good heart, nonetheless.

Cold Roses

I found something interesting: "Fives, especially with the Four wing, sometimes mistype themselves as Fours. Such Fives recognize that they have strong emotions and don't identify with the often extremely cerebral portrait of type Five. But, Fives, unlike Fours, always retain some degree of discomfort when it comes to the expression of their emotional states. However much facility they may gain with it, the language of emotion is not their native tongue." There. I think my emotions have been in a lather due to extreme duress lately and that has made a mess of things. Final answer for myself is INTJ 5w4 SP/SX with close call 4w5.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wow it can take people years and years to figure out exactly what their type is lol... I just say wtf it is what it is!

Cold Roses

Yeah, but in this case I think the conclusion of a decade of wondering is what is happening. I formally tested as an INTJ a decade ago. I am just deciding to accept that truth, now. I'm done being ridiculous about this. Maybe I want to be a fluffy bunny because it would be easier to go through life as a woman in that way, yet on the other hand, easy doesn't amuse me all that much.