• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me affirm my suspicions.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I warn all that this may be a long post so I apologise in advance.

Firstly id like to say that however I may type or construct my sentences here, this isn't a perfect reflection upon how I am in real life, I think quite a few people probably understand this anyhow, but I didn't want people to see me as some wannabe lecturer or intellectual blowhard, although I probably will come off that way even if I try to avoid it. :(

So to start with ive spent a fair bit of time reading up on the cognitive functions as I quickly learned to distrust the rather vague and 'catch-all' stereotypical descriptions on the internet.

Ive noticed these descriptions only make sense, (and even then it is a rather sketchy sense), if you understand or at least have an idea about how the different functions work, then you can get an impression of how a certain type might act or react, whether outwardly or internally, through their functional grouping.

To this end ive found myself stuck between Si or Ni as my dominant function, although I would be very open to other's views on my type based on what they observe in this post, actually the posting of this thread pretty much demands that, otherwise what would be the point?

But first I want to run my understandings of these functions past people here to see if im on the right track. Of course intepretations of Jung's work varies immensely and in all honesty no one view is ever correct, however, some views do make more sense than others.

Now I see Si, based upon descriptions of it I have read in various books, as being like a series of mental flashcards. Si picks up bits of personally important information all the time like a perceptionary vacuum, this is done in an almost sub-conscious way.

What is picked up varies almost entirely on the context, it could be a fact procured from a book, an event that happned in the past, or even the impression left by something eaten, seen or smelled. All of these bits of information are automatically brought up for reference to a relevant context, hence my description of it as a series of flashcards. In this sense it seems to be a function that is immensely useful in a wide variety of situations. The memory of a procedure, or perhaps the recalling of a scrap of information that is loosely relevant to a discussion or situation, or even the correct answer to a question in a quiz are all traits I associate with Si.

When it comes to Ni it actually does a similar thing in it's absorbing of information, but the difference is that it uses this to gain new ideas concerning different perspectives or insights into what goes on around it.
From what ive read of it, I would liken it to a mini philosopher who goes around asking the symbolic whys of everything that happens around us. It tries to present a deeper meaning behind something and it often comes up with answers to a problem or understanding to something previously unknown or misunderstood. This is often done in a flash without any apparant steps in between. In Ni doms in particular this somethings comes across as knowing something, but not always being able to explain why they know something. Although I believe careful analysis can usually show the steps.

So anyhow, do those interpretations seem correct?

In any case so far im stuck between INFJ and ISFJ. I definitely see Fe in my actions and evaluations, im often dangerously aware of how I come across to others, although sometimes this takes a bizarre backseat to my dominant and then im in my head and can come across as rather unexpressive to others.

Perhaps this is limited information but I dont want to make this post any longer than it is and besides; this way people can ask questions and I can answer to the best of my ability. :D

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think one of the main differences between the inner journeys of ni and si types is that ni type stuff is "not possible" like in a dream. You open up a jar of cookies and angels jump out open a time portal to the moon and have sandwiches with jesus. Si type stuff is A) connected to sensations that the body is currently experiencing and 2) usually reflective of something that did or "could" happen in the future/"echoes" of motion. Like the motion of bullets in the matrix or something and the stop motion 3-d panoramic view

KDude

Si type stuff is A) connected to sensations that the body is currently experiencing and 2) usually reflective of something that did or "could" happen in the future/"echoes" of motion. Like the motion of bullets in the matrix or something and the stop motion 3-d panoramic view

That would be great if that's what it was. In MBTI though, it's about being a pedantic, right wing tyrant. Or someone too feeble to do anything but suck the dicks of these tyrants. And also, about joining the Boy or Girl Scouts.

Technically though, it's about what you said.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I think one of the main differences between the inner journeys of ni and si types is that ni type stuff is "not possible" like in a dream. You open up a jar of cookies and angels jump out open a time portal to the moon and have sandwiches with jesus. Si type stuff is A) connected to sensations that the body is currently experiencing and 2) usually reflective of something that did or "could" happen in the future/"echoes" of motion. Like the motion of bullets in the matrix or something and the stop motion 3-d panoramic view

Yeah this is what ive been focusing on to try and differentiate between the two. In all honesty I had originally gone for INFJ, because I very often come away from something to process the information ive recieved and then I will get an 'AHA' moment of clarity.

I also have odd views concerning our own personal perceptions and the human brain's need to put things in order to preserve sanity. Or that's how I see it. But at the same time I also possess that sense impression of something previously observed or experienced. Im just trying to see which one takes more precedence over the other. I wouldn't mind being either INFJ or ISFJ, or in fact any type as to me the important part is individuality within each type and the functions a person uses.

Of course ive read that people do use all 8, but some are so sub-conscious that we dont notice, this makes sense when applied to correlated observances of people.

Thanks for your answers!

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I should clarify that I use socionics more in the formation of my thoughts so I think of it differently, but there's a lot of overlap. To me isfjs for example tend to have a singular Ni experience at one point of their life that informs their view of life that they fight to defend tooth and nail because it forms the basis for how they relate in fixed ways to to individuals and society at large J version of Fi (my opinion). Isfps tend to evolve their relationships based on how the dynamic relationship between them and others (or P-Fi). There is a lot more overlap between introverts than extraverts imo. So to me fjs tend to have set reactions and relate to people based on the categories they fit in and fps tend to interact with the person first and depending how that person makes them feel try to grow closer/apart from them. This is open to change and they're less inclined to cut people from their life etc. These are tendencies though

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I should clarify that I use socionics more in the formation of my thoughts so I think of it differently, but there's a lot of overlap. To me isfjs for example tend to have a singular Ni experience at one point of their life that informs their view of life that they fight to defend tooth and nail because it forms the basis for how they relate in fixed ways to to individuals and society at large J version of Fi (my opinion). Isfps tend to evolve their relationships based on how the dynamic relationship between them and others (or P-Fi). There is a lot more overlap between introverts than extraverts imo. So to me fjs tend to have set reactions and relate to people based on the categories they fit in and fps tend to interact with the person first and depending how that person makes them feel try to grow closer/apart from them. This is open to change and they're less inclined to cut people from their life etc. These are tendencies though

I dont know that much about socionics but id be happy to learn. However what you said actually fits in a little with how I view things as well. That part about ISFJ's experiencing Ni briefly and then adhereing to whatever that view was is part of how I see Si in general. I think once they, (Si-Doms), have established something, and for the ISTJ's, made sense of it, it then becomes catalogued and part of their makeup. Of course this isnt to say they cannot drop ideals or opinions, more that they tend to use what they have learnt as a foundation although I imagine if you convinced someone who was an ISTJ or ISFJ to drop that ideal or view, then they probably would. Of course individual experiences and environments shape people in different ways.

What you said about FJ's and FP's also makes sense in regards to what ive observed in myself. I do tend, even though I always urge myself to take a step back and see things more individually, to see people in terms of groupings. However as ive got older ive started leaning towards individualistic tendencies instead, in other words ive been trying to take a more perceptive stance when it comes to people which I believe is more advisible than a judging one; which tends to want things settled and so leads into quick opinions on people. Afterall people have always got more to offer than what you see on the surface, but that isn't exactly a fresh thought.

But most of all I agree with you on the tendencies part, nothing is set in stone, which is a mistake many make when learning about these theories.

So at a guess what would you say my type is more likely to be? It doesn't have to be INFJ/ISFJ, those were just my observations.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm just here to facilitate your journey not define it. I'm like that dude in memento, if I can't hear your voice (or see your facial expressions, body language, etc) then it's harder to read someone (esp. After 2 post interaction :D.) Just take your time, it'll come to you

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Actually im sticking to INFJ after careful thought, it was my original assessment once id read and understood the cognitive functions.

Fe is very present as my Aux, no doubt about that and Ni has permeated my entire life.

Besides I originally had a flash of understanding which revealed this to me, but I had started to question it a little lately, not based on my actions more that I was curious about what others thought.

R

Riva

Your type is the most confusing I have come across in correctly typing. This probably is due to you being an enneagram 6w7; which makes introverts look extroverted and vise versa. I'm certain that you do indeed use Fe. It doesn't mean that you use it in the primary or secondary. It probably could even be the tertiary or even inferior. But it is sooo confusing all thanks to your enneagram type.

I mentioned all that because you have typed yourself as an ESFJ. I'm not sure you meant that as a joke or not.

One thing is for sure, you are one of the most funniest people I have ever had the pleasure of coming across.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Dammit Riva!

This thread is old and mankey, but you just had to wake the beast! Although then again im furthering it ;).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your type is the most confusing I have come across in correctly typing. This probably is due to you being an enneagram 6w7; which makes introverts look extroverted and vise versa. I'm certain that you do indeed use Fe. It doesn't mean that you use it in the primary or secondary. It probably could even be the tertiary or even inferior. But it is sooo confusing all thanks to your enneagram type.
I mentioned all that because you have typed yourself as an ESFJ. I'm not sure you meant that as a joke or not.
One thing is for sure, you are one of the most funniest people I have ever had the pleasure of coming across.

he is clearly ENTP. it's sooo obvious
[MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION]
you're an obvious ENTP :)

R

Riva

he is clearly ENTP. it's sooo obvious
you're an obvious ENTP :)

No he is not an ENTP.

This I (and you would too) know after conversing with him on vent.

But I must say, he is one of the funniest people I have ever had the pleasure of talking to.

6w7 yes! But he is NOT an ENTP.

This is why I don't believe typing people based on their post or videos is a good idea.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This is why I don't believe typing people based on their post or videos is a good idea.

Im somewhat with you there, although videos can be good to get an impression of someone's body idiosyncracies. But yeah overall real interaction in real time seems to be the best. Whether online or not.

Have you seen this thread on Perc?

We could start something similar here: http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/97299-type-interaction-videos.html

That's if people wanted to, which im not sure of.

Oh yeah as a type update im now on ENxP and in fairness I think ENFP is most likely if only because popular opinion is im an F because im not...oh I dont know 'edgy' enough? Or perhaps not logical enough?

ps: At least that Perc thread is better than this abomination: http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/83188-auras-personality-types.html

Biggest load of shit....ever! It actually annoys me, which I imagine a T type wouldn't be annoyed by merely critical of it, one more point for F. The topic maker is a big ole tard who think's she can see 'AURA's' OOOOO MAGIC!!

It's not good when people delude themselves like that, she's going to wake up one day, start to believe her special 'aura's' are full of shit and it's going to fuck her up. It's like covering your stairs in ice and trying to climb them wearing rollerskates....its a disaster just waiting to happen.