• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NF with NT tendencies or NT with NF tendencies?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yet another "Identity Crisis" thread. :laugh:

Been contemplating recently about my type history as well as recent results I have gotten on MBTI tests, as well as writing style evaluation...

Type history is as follows: ISTJ, INTJ, INFJ/INTJ, and on occasion I've gotten ENTJ

JCF test on Similar Minds, on Thursday 26 Jan placed me as ENTJ, highest cognitive functions listed were Te and Ni.

JCF test on Keys2Cognition.com on Thursday 26 Jan placed me as INFJ, with functional order as Ni-Fe-Te-Ti-Fi-Ne-Si-Se

Mental Muscle Diagram Test taken Friday 27 Jan scored me as INTJ at 88%, and ENTJ at 86%, INFJ came in third place as 81%. Cognitive Functions on it showed Ni-Te-Fe-Si.

I am an e4, which seems more consistent with NF traits rather than NT traits. However INTJ 4's, while rare, exist.

Been wondering what these results indicate.... what do you guys think?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's crazy, just crazy, how often typology doesn't make any sense.

Indeed. Generally I consider myself as an INFJ by default... but I also have those T streaks that come out... been contemplating whether a lot of it is influenced by an educational background in the sciences, both parents being T's, survival mechanism. I feel a bit uncomfortable being totally on the F side because I feel a bit of loss of emotional control, I don't like losing my head... I prefer things to operate in a rational way. But at the same time, I consider people when making decisions. I often feel the most confident when I am going through an "NT phase", mentally clear and focused. When I am in an NF phase, I feel like I am returning to my childhood self. The trouble with that is that I end up feeling too emotionally vulnerable, which is rather unpleasant.

CF, I don't know about your cognitive function test results but your vibe is distinctly INFJ. You have that gentle, old soul-ish feel to you that I associate with INFJs and your posts have a detailed, involved tone that I associate with TiFe. Te-users tend to be more crisp, from what I've noticed ... even when they're not really making any sense. [/clueless Ne user]

Last edited:

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I think "type confusion" is pretty common. Especially when the results are gathered by tests, which often have questions that are sort of ambiguous in nature ("well, neither a *or* b, but I can't give that as an answer!") or easily interpreted in certain contexts (people who spend a lot of time at work often have their memories of how they've acted in certain situations influenced by things they did *at work*, when they may not have been acting in their natural state). Other people simply don't fit well into any one type. I know that over the years I've tested/identified more closely with INTP, then INFP, then INFJ, then INTJ -- some of all. That there's no certainty doesn't even mean that I've changed -- just that in different circumstances, at different points in my life, some things have rung true more than others.

Short answer -- I wouldn't worry about it. Any type classification's so broad and flexible that there's no reason to think that one has to fit well. Take from it what you can, and it'll all be good :).

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
CF, I don't know about your cognitive function test results but your vibe is distinctly INFJ. You have that gentle, old soul-ish vibe to you that I associate with INFJs and your posts have a detailed, involved tone that I associate with TiFe. Te-users tend to be more crisp, from what I've noticed ... even when they're not really making any sense. [/clueless Ne user]

LOL! Not so clueless, my friend. ;)

So perhaps the Te could be a defense mechanism or developed from rigorous science education background. The shadow popping up in moments of stress. I do recall when I was in college and got more consistent T scores, I was quite stressed out as well, and time management was absolutely essential in order to get multiple assignments accomplished. You do have a point, my blog posts seem much more indicative of the infamous INFJ Ni-Ti loopfest. :laugh:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think "type confusion" is pretty common. Especially when the results are gathered by tests, which often have questions that are sort of ambiguous in nature ("well, neither a *or* b, but I can't give that as an answer!") or easily interpreted in certain contexts (people who spend a lot of time at work often have their memories of how they've acted in certain situations influenced by things they did *at work*, when they may not have been acting in their natural state). Other people simply don't fit well into any one type. I know that over the years I've tested/identified more closely with INTP, then INFP, then INFJ, then INTJ -- some of all. That there's no certainty doesn't even mean that I've changed -- just that in different circumstances, at different points in my life, some things have rung true more than others.

Short answer -- I wouldn't worry about it. Any type classification's so broad and flexible that there's no reason to think that one has to fit well. Take from it what you can, and it'll all be good :).

Certainly the tests have quite ambiguous questions, or they force you to choose either/or... where some situations may call upon using both types of Je functions. Thinking of how one does things at work/school can make the results different too. Being at home or with family or close friends may end up being a more accurate indicator of actual personality, since work requires us to become more efficient and scheduled.

So basically don't over-analyze it and look at things from a general P.O.V. is the way to go. :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think Curious Feeling is INFJ. INTJ is possible but INFJ is much more likely in my opinion. She just reminds me vibe-wise of so many other INFJs I know.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
If you are unsure as to whether you are an NF with NT tendencies or vice versa you are almost certainly an INFJ.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is why I don't trust these tests.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFJ is an "Enigmatic" type http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-other-personality-matrices/46096-enigmatic-types.html in being a Feeler who is "directive" (feeling is usually "informative"), and this directiveness might make it seem like a T. A strong tertiary Ti will as well.

In most of the tests you mentioned, you did come out as T. In K2C, you came out as INFJ, but with a strong Te in third place (right after Ni and Fe). That could go along with the other tests' TJ results, and for some reason, you happened to score a strong Fe. But then, Fe/Te are left-brain alternatives, and K2C results often do fit that "brain alternative" model, where the functions that should be "7th" or "8th" come out 3rd or 4th in strength. That, I believe, it is because the test is measuring the functions in terms of behaviors, and the 7th/8th are more behavioral (reactionary; though otherwise deep in the "shadow"), while the tertiary and inferior are more experienced than consciously "used" (and carry a sense of "vulnerability"), though ultimately "ego-compatible".

So it could go either way, but it seems most of what is being given leans towards INTJ. Others (who I take it, know you better, or have paid more attention to your communication), are saying INFJ, but also, being female, you might have gravitated more towards a [stereotypical] "Feeling" persona, and tertiary Fi might be strong (even if low on K2C) and makes IxTJ women really seem like Feelers.
If I remember correctly, you may have seemed more like a Feeler to me, as well, but then that is perhaps from a combination of things, such as your handle and avatars, and just wearing INFJ, so I assume that must be settled. But still, being female can promote that image.

Also, on K2C, having both Thinking attitudes next to each other in a strong range (while Feeling is split, with one strong, the other weaker) also seem to point towards Thinking.

I imagine e4 would also make you seem like a Feeler. I believe, looking at it as on a temperament matrix, 4 is like between 5 and 6, so if you expect an INT to be 5, 4 is really not that far off.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting insight, [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION].

So stronger Fe and Te in combination with each other may arise from having strong Je in general?

My communication style, at least in terms of discussing emotions, tends to be more on the flowery side. Thoughts seem to be a mixed bag: enthusiasm for big ideas, things that I like; but the other end of the coin, usually with scientific theory and technical discussions, I tend to get a bit more thinking oriented. Very technical about it.

My F scores tend to be split, I have more preference for Fe over Fi. But I think the way I present myself generally comes across as more F. Stronger T might be as a result of being involved in science related coursework, or being raised in a more T-oriented environment.

G

garbage

Man. NF with NT tendencies or vice versa? Join the club.

All I can say is that I relate to you here, and I'll be watching this thread with interest :popc1:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My communication style, at least in terms of discussing emotions, tends to be more on the flowery side. Thoughts seem to be a mixed bag: enthusiasm for big ideas, things that I like; but the other end of the coin, usually with scientific theory and technical discussions, I tend to get a bit more thinking oriented. Very technical about it.

My F scores tend to be split, I have more preference for Fe over Fi. But I think the way I present myself generally comes across as more F. Stronger T might be as a result of being involved in science related coursework, or being raised in a more T-oriented environment.
Again, the supposed "F" stuff sounds like it might be more gender than type, while the "T" stuff sounds more genuine (and more than tertiary).

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Again, the supposed "F" stuff sounds like it might be more gender than type, while the "T" stuff sounds more genuine (and more than tertiary).

That, and being HSP, Highly Sensitive Person, on top of it. I wonder how being on the HSP side might effect the T/F scale here. My blog entries might help provide deeper insight to the T/F dichotomy.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're an INFJ who's unique. :)
Just like everyone else :p

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That, and being HSP, Highly Sensitive Person, on top of it. I wonder how being on the HSP side might effect the T/F scale here. My blog entries might help provide deeper insight to the T/F dichotomy.
Yes, that would obviously go along with stereotypical "feeling" traits as well.