• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IN __ ?

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
Hello everyone,

I would like to get some well-founded opinions on what my MBTI type may be. I used to come out as 'INFJ', but lately, the results have changed to 'INTJ'. I usually get 5w4 on enneagram tests. I would not rule any of the IN types, though. I have found a 'what is my type' form in one forum thread and I have written it out. Please don't be put away by the size of the thread, I believe any of you can come up with a very reasonable guess. Of course of you can!

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
One could say both objectivity and subjectivity. Objectivity because I am usually a very introspective person, in tune with my inner life, so much that I have to end up being too subjective, not qualified to be the judge of my own ideas and behaviours, sometimes at least. Subjectivity because I am often not very aware of how come across to different people, unless they disclose it to me ; warm or cold? Engaging or too stand-offish? Laidback or high-strung? Reliable or rather avoidant?

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I yearn to understand, to transcend conventional ways and unclear symbols, to gain wisdom and knowledge of things and people-alike. I do enjoy closure but I enjoy furthering the scape even more. Why? Let’s just say that, like an aesthete who keenly appreciates the beauty in works of art, so do I appreciate the wholesomeness of whatever my mind can fathom but my senses cannot.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
I usually feel most proud of myself after finding fitting (and perhaps successful) solutions or answers to a particular problem. The reason for this is that I dislike being in unforeseen and distressing situations, so there is satisfaction in feeling independent and able out of the sheer trust in one’s principles and will.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

No one makes me feel inferior without my consent. It is really me who may play my achievements down and be a bit too self-critical, especially in areas where I (believe) I could improve vastly, e.g. looks, social skills, proficiency in leisure activities many people excel at, participating in community activities. The wishful thinking seems to come out of nowhere and only once in a while, really.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

My decisions are only based on people if I know that there is no other way to avoid emotional disappointment for them. These people are usually intimates or potential intimates that I have selected beforehand. Otherwise, I go along with my principles, weight the pros and cons carefully, possibly being a bit too wishy-washy with it, as I do not want to be rushed, but to make sure the decision is mine alone. In contrast, if there are people involved, decision-making is usually swift.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I prefer working alone on a specific task, preferably with no pressure or deadlines. If I have to work within a team, I do my best to ensure that the fundamentals are right, even if it means being a bit bossy, and try to just let everyone do their job. What often happens is wrong-headed team members clashing with me (a bit of a stubborn person myself). If I understand that the work is not going to come out that great (and I do not mean ‘perfect’), due to my peers’ unmatched skills and visions, then I can only make sure that it will at least come out sound and safe, watching amused and ironically from the sidelines as they make a mess out of the details.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I prefer to attach some self-educational value to moments of fun. When I am alone, I usually entertain myself better pondering on some intriguing subject or reading good literature (not necessarily fiction). I usually enjoy social gatherings such as group study, presentation build-up sessions or family meals, taking the opportunity to banter with the light-hearted and quick-witted people that I know. Finally, but not the least of it, I enjoy taking time off and spending it with my significant other.

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
The one way that feels the most natural to me is abstraction, analysis and drawing up the big picture. As much as I would like to rely less on it and be more hands on or fact and detail-oriented, the results are simply not as good ; for the record, I have a shabby memory, hand-eye coordination may be even worse.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

I see myself as fairly organized, though I tend to get absent-minded a lot, which means I sometimes neglect ordering. Case in point: I may let clothes in piles instead of putting them into the closet ; when I understand that they are somehow getting in the way, I just carry them over to some other uncluttered spot, so that they can be invisible for a few more days. I may suffer from compulsive structuring spells from time to time. I think that organizational side is mostly inside me, in that I do structuring mentally rather than externally. I come up with rules that I strive to comply with almost by instinct, which may be even stricter and more encompassing than those of a given outside agenda. This may have to do with wanting a sense of autonomy and freedom.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

My judging is based on the underpinnings of the idea and its logical accuracy. I may entertain it without accepting nor discarding it, until further information is created or brought in (may include so-called facts and evidence). It’s necessary for me to look into it thoroughly, so I do not tolerate being overwhelmed with potentially preposterous ideas very well.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
Both: if everyone keeps to their strong points in order to build something that will eventually be part of the final product, so to speak, then a better kind of harmony is achieved, in comparison to inviting or forcing people to adopt a single philosophy and methodology.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I prefer one-on-one communication, because I am then confident that I am focused on what is being said and that the other intervenient is paying attention as well. I’d much rather reflect before speaking. I have a preference for asking probing questions and defending my point of view clearly, rather than going for ‘mythbusting’. I do not really believe that two truths cannot coexist, I appreciate paradoxes.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I tend to be cautious and systematic, I do not usually like to jump into action without a plan, even if it is just an improvised mental scheme. I do believe that actions do speak louder than words many a time.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
That situation does not sound probable ; even though I have many acquaintances, I have close to no friends, and I am very much a loner. It would also depend on the kind of night-out ; the light-headed ones consisting of booze, dancing and mingling drain me very quickly. However, I would certainly not rule out a quiet get-together.

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I may suffer from outbursts of inappropriate emotions (e.g. fits of rage), even if I really do my best to avoid those kinds of rants. If I am extremely anxious, I may treat myself generously ,e.g. oversleeping, overeating, gaming or television binges, or other kinds of behaviours that I otherwise avoid like the plague. These last right until the stress factor is over / has ‘flown by’ entirely.

16) How do you form opinions/judge other people? What about personalities of others do you tend to value and what do you dislike?

I’d rather not judge people into very narrow categories; I simply observe how they behave themselves during serious work and playtime. I value honesty to others and to self, most of all. I appreciate developed intellectual skills and/ or social skills. More than that, I admire a strong interest in self-culture / self-actualization.

17) When you see your friends what do you talk about? Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I suppose we would talk about anything, from mundane everyday life to ‘intellectual’ matters. In general, with friends and strangers alike, I enjoy conversing about topics of my interest, but I am also open to whatever message they are keen on passing on me.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

My social needs and perhaps everyday life tasks, such as paying bills. I honestly loathe them, but I make a point to go out of my way and just be done with them. I also don’t really like thinking and making long-range decisions concerning status, such as future post-graduate studies or marrying and family arrangements.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

I would surmise that they see me as bright, intellectual, ‘nerdy’ even. Some of them see me as demanding, some see me as relaxed ; some see me as ‘crazy, a lunatic’; some, as a very conventional person. The most widespread (ill) perception about me, I believe, is that I am too caught up in my musings and work, too much to care about relationships and ‘fun’. Well, that *may* be true…

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Probably get some company to go off to some other town, go sight-seeing, get myself lost in book or computer stores and the like, spend the afternoon away in a café, talking over some coffee and croissants, walk around the parks and beaches at the end of the day, then get myself comfortable for the evening. I’m a person of simple desires.

21) What hobbies/activities/non-activities you engage in outside of school or work?
Reading (fiction , non-fiction: on topics like philosophy, psychology, science). Watching hand-picked movies, listening to music. Jogging/running, walking the dogs. Learning languages, penpalling, collecting postcards.

I am an undergraduate student at the local university, my major is Applied Biology (formerly in medical school).

Thank you for reading!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you're an INFJ with balanced Fe/Ti. I'm travelling today, so I don't have much time to elaborate. Perhaps later. :D

Inverness

MBTI Type
INFJ
After reading through all of it, I say INTJ. Not many of those answers resonated with myself, especially in the wording, but I could most certainly picture many of my INTJ friends answering each question as you have.

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
After reading through all of it, I say INTJ. Not many of those answers resonated with myself, especially in the wording, but I could most certainly picture many of my INTJ friends answering each question as you have.

Ah, an INFJ! They have all the answers. What was it about the wording that you did not identify much with? Anything that screams 'INTJ' on the post?

Inverness

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ah, an INFJ! They have all the answers. What was it about the wording that you did not identify much with? Anything that screams 'INTJ' on the post?

Well I don't know about answers...and actually, in re-reading all your answers more carefully (wide awake as opposed to about to fall asleep), I am less certain of my original choice.

In the read through the first time, and a good bit of the second time, I get the 'systematic / formal wording and logic' vibe that I do from many of the INTJs I know...but on the second time (when I wasn't half asleep)...I see there are definitely anomalies.

I'll go through a couple of the numbers,

For #2, if I found myself answering the same question, I would have a difficult time not bringing up people/others into the answer. Your answer was a bit like a solo intellectual pursuit, which while that as the de facto answer doesn't resonate with me, perhaps that is your 5w4-ness.

For #3, I still read a good bit of logical problem solving, but for similar reasons to #2, it seems like less of a tell.

Now 4, this one was interesting. You said 'No one makes me feel inferior without my consent.', when I read it, it sounded like something that would come straight out of the INTJs I know, but for myself, it seemed a bit foreign. However, the rest of the response seemed usual and too general for me to see it either way.

For #5, to me, it sounded a bit too purposefully disconnected in the decision making process to allow a more purely logical scheme to be applied. But I am unsure if I am reading it in the light you intended. Especially the 'In contrast, if there are people involved, decision-making is usually swift.'...how is this meant? The decision is quick because it's a no-brainer in siding with the positive outcome for the betterment of the people...or dilemmas which involve people are just simply easier to address at a distance?

For #10, this was another that seemed to be more INTJ telling. The manner of wording and emphasis just seemed a bit foreign to myself, and more of what I'd expect from the INTJs I know.

Now #11, this also was pretty far from resonating with me. While I like a smooth functioning group as the next person, the wording seemed indicative of an apparent disconnect between regimented functionality and global group harmony. Just seemed very Te, at least IMO.

Okay, #14. I'm not going to lie, the bluntness of the first sentence 'That situation does not sound probable' made me chuckle quite a bit. In my head it sounded like Dwight Schrute declaring something 'false' XD. BUT...while I would not have worded it so formally, the general answer is consitant with myself...but it doesn't give me much more than confirming introversion....which we've got down packed. :D

Okay, now #16 was interesting, because it disrupted my INTJ choice quite a bit. From the INTJs I know, I would find it most difficult for them to answer such as that...and while your answer still would have to be indicative of a balence, it seemed closer to INFJ than most of the other answers led me to believe.

#19 seemed a bit more INTJ-y from my perspective, but I could also picture it as 5w4, so another wash.

And #20, another one that really through a wrench in my original choice. While I know INTJs will love very many of the same activities, I still got a nice INFJ vibe off of that one...especially the manner which you ended the answer.

Alright! Sorry for the wall of text. XD But perhaps that will provide maybe some insight into what I was thinking!

And while I'm less solid on my original INFJ declaration, I think I still would have to side with the INTJ 5w4, because I still get that vibe more. But perhaps Rasofy is on to it, with the balenced Fe-Ti.

Hopefully more people will chime in to provide you with more perspectives! :D

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
Alright! Sorry for the wall of text. XD But perhaps that will provide maybe some insight into what I was thinking!

And while I'm less solid on my original INFJ declaration, I think I still would have to side with the INTJ 5w4, because I still get that vibe more. But perhaps Rasofy is on to it, with the balenced Fe-Ti.

Hopefully more people will chime in to provide you with more perspectives! :D

That was a nicely written-out post, Inverness, I like. So your money is on INTJ 5w4 (i.e. INTJ with a more developed Fi) then? Rasofy is going for the similarly-minded INFJ with closely-set Fe and Ti, but the bum is on holidays, so I won't wait for his brilliant explanation. My problem was always about the T/F, but nowadays I am more assured that my preference is T, however large a part Feeling may play. More opinions would be welcome.

Question: what it is that makes you sure that you are an INFJ?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What do I get in return for my opinion and do I have to read the op's for it, I cant read stuff longer than 3 sentences :/

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
What do I get in return for my opinion and do I have to read the op's for it, I cant read stuff longer than 3 sentences :/

You really sound like an ENTP....

Well, let us just put it this way ... one guy's type is IN. Probably INT. However, he is unsure about the P/J aspect, because he cannot look at himself objectively enough. You could just answer : what is the main, most evident difference between an INTJ and an INTP mind?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You really sound like an ENTP....

Well, let us just put it this way ... one guy's type is IN. Probably INT. However, he is unsure about the P/J aspect, because he cannot look at himself objectively enough. You could just answer : what is the main, most evident difference between an INTJ and an INTP mind?

So far I only see a guy who seems to be quite sure about the things he says and does even seem to have a slight touch in the direction that he wards off or reformulates questions directed towards him by others about him, so people only ask him what he wants to be asked. Thats a sure IJ. The reason for this behaviour then is intresting: is it arrogance ? Or is it just shyness or carefulness that he doesnt want to show so much about himself, because he doesnt want to be recognized or touched. It doesnt feel like arrogance to me but since most things I do are based on instincts, intuition and some life experience I cant really explain you why. It feels to me tho that you seem to be at the start of something, of a discovery of self and it seems as well that you wont get your answer on the T/F thing right away, but that you rather should open up a bit and participate for some time on this forums; to get to know yourself and the reactions of others towards yourself. As long as you do that, I'd put in the place of the mbti letters you are unsure about a x and then people will understand that and automatically try helping you reflecting yourself.

I think when you thru that get to know your mbti in the end, this will be just a small result for you then. The much bigger result will be a lot of people giving you insigths about yourself and you can trust this people here, they are good at that. So if you carry on having that trust, which you seem that you want, cause otherwise you wouldnt have signed up here and open up slowly in the process, I think in the end you'll have your results.

luismas

MBTI Type
INTP
I think when you thru that get to know your mbti in the end, this will be just a small result for you then. The much bigger result will be a lot of people giving you insigths about yourself and you can trust this people here, they are good at that. So if you carry on having that trust, which you seem that you want, cause otherwise you wouldnt have signed up here and open up slowly in the process, I think in the end you'll have your results.

That is what I plan to do, thank you for the affirmation.