• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram experts and wannabes, E9s and E7s come hither! TYPE ME!!

What type should I consider?

• Total voters

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[View post 8 for the real question...]

What E-type would you say the following could represent?

This is pretty much the essence of my inner world...

PeterPan1.jpg

On the outside I'm the responsible, mature, balanced one that can be counted on in any situation to hold things together and be adult. On the inside it's some kind of fun fantasy land where everything is mysterious, wondrous and magical, where I'm always in awe of the world and my possibilities and have no chance ever making the mistake of growing up.

Kay so there are a few more dimensions...

I'm usually relaxed and peaceful, spirituality and being at peace are very important to me
Peaceful_Spring_by_PhilipMatthews.jpg

Yep... my inner world cracks me up
grin.jpg

It can be disconnected from other people, society and reality at times
disconnected.jpg

It's random yet gentle and romantic
biz.jpg

It's wacky
StrangeC003.jpg

And there is always music
Musical_notes_tattoo_arm.jpg

Last edited:

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Type 5. They often much prefer their inner world to the "threatening" outer world...

Silveresque

I'm thinking type 9. Sounds very peaceful and positive outlook-ish. This part sounds especially 9 to me:

On the inside it's some kind of fun fantasy land where everything is mysterious, wondrous and magical, where I'm always in awe of the world and my possibilities and have no chance ever making the mistake of growing up.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
9w1
(wannabe for the record ;)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe 1.

Not 2.

Not 3.

Maybe 4.

Not 5.

Not 6.

Maybe 7.

Not 8

Maybe 9.

So, in other words, I'm certain of the answer.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Best analysis: 9w1 > 4w5 > 5w4 sx/sp

And JCF wise, it seems like ENFP or INFP

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Not 9.

5, possibly 4?

Some of those pictures are very 5. The music one is a complex bundle, the zebra is scary/freaky either 5 or 4 like.

If it was 9, it would be like this:

11949848722015671592musical_note_nicu_bucule_01.svg.med.png

Keeping it simple, right?

5s are often known for being unenlightened Buddha's (or something like that, can't remember exactly). Ie. in their head, they are spiritually aware, peaceful, knowing, but their body is not treated like a temple, they are tense, anxious etc. (at least, that's how I interpreted Helen Palmer's words).

I doubt it's 4 too, they like pretty things lol, not whacky zebra's and smiley faces. They show more emotional depth, no?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=14915]Owfin[/MENTION], [MENTION=14216]RevlisZero[/MENTION], [MENTION=12991]Huxley3112[/MENTION], Highlander, Savage Idealist, and Asterion, thanks for your posts!

It's something I posted 2-3 years ago, before I looked at Enneagram (at that time I erroneously thought I was an INTJ E5). I was looking over an old blog yesterday and this jumped out as something that just felt so 9 to me that I now very seriously question my E-type.

I relate very strongly to 7 and 9, due to my stupid levels of optimism and unstoppable love of fun I always went with 7 but the more that I look at it, and accept that the reason I couldn't see 9 so well is due to struggling with self-perception, the more it seems highly unlikely that I'm 7w8 over 9w8. I think 7 is my ideal.

My tritype def has 7w8 and 9w8 in it, followed by either 3w4 or 4w3, really haven't paid too much attention to the heart types cause it's just so not me.

I'll add some more stuff below and welcome any feedback novice or educated, seems this is going to turn into a "type me" thread comparing 7s and 9s!

Maybe 1.

Maybe 4.

Maybe 7.

Maybe 9.

The ones you said maybe to are interesting to me, esp that you included 9, 7 and 4 as all may be part of my tritype. What's your take based on knowing it's mine and having an understanding of how I handle conflict with the mod stuffs?

Best analysis: 9w1 > 4w5 > 5w4 sx/sp

And JCF wise, it seems like ENFP or INFP

It's not unusual for people to see me as NFP when I post images, I like cutesy and emotive but as you know ENTP is clear as clear can get. Based on the knowledge that it's something I did, what's your take now?

Is the music thing the main reason you'd say not nine beyond the vibe of the images? To add further info on that image; I am a musician, bass player in particular, a bass clef on it's own, which is what means most to me, is not easily recognisable to everyone so that is why I needed one that included notes and/or a treble clef as well.

And after meeting me do you think 7 or 9 is more likely? I know you weren't convinced on the 7ness until I explained it away, but what would your take have been if I was claiming 9 at the time?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some random stuff from a list of 7 v 9 stuff.

How to Get Along with Me as a NINE

• If you want me to do something, how you ask is important. I especially don't like expectations or pressure. – completely true.

• I like to listen and to be of service, but don't take advantage of this. – also true.

• Listen until I finish speaking, even though I meander a bit. – I don’t think I meander, but I’ve never really thought about it, I think I’m more direct and to the point than anything.

• Give me time to finish things and make decisions. It's OK to nudge me gently and nonjudgmentally. – I can make quick decisions when needed, like at work, but in my personal life I prefer to keep things open, my mother often nudges me, with a sledge hammer and it is the most irritating thing someone can do to me, when it comes to my life I don’t care how noble your intentions are leave me space to make up my mind when I want!

• Ask me questions to help me get clear. – Not sure I get this one, I need to bounce things off people to get clear.

• Tell me when you like how I look. I'm not averse to flattery. – Indeed, I’m also very unperceptive about it so it helps.

• Hug me, show physical affection. It opens me up to my feelings. – it depends on who you are, it can open me up to my feelings but sometimes those feelings are GETTHAFUKOFFMECREEP! sometimes. Other times I can feel loved.

• I like a good discussion but not a confrontation. – Yes, just change like to love.

• Let me know you like what I've done or said. – Again, I have no perception without feedback so this isn’t about ego building, it’s about awareness.

• Laugh with me and share in my enjoyment of life. – Please.

How to Get Along with Me as a SEVEN

• Give me companionship, affection, and freedom. – Freedom first, then companionship and affection.

• Engage with me in stimulating conversation and laughter. – Please!

• Appreciate my grand visions and listen to my stories. – I don’t really have stories, but don’t interrupt my grand visions!

• Don't try to change my style. Accept me the way I am. – I don’t know that I really care about this one so much, of course I want to be accepted for who I am but I am open to changing my style.

• Be responsible for yourself. I dislike clingy or needy people. – Oh gosh please.

• Don't tell me what to do. – Depends on who you are, but for the most part I appreciate being asked not told.

What I Like About Being a NINE

• Being nonjudgmental and accepting – Yes.

• Caring for and being concerned about others – Well I like that I’m not a heartless arse, so kinda.

• Being able to relax and have a good time – Yes.

• Knowing that most people enjoy my company; I'm easy to be around – I think so.

• My ability to see many different sides of an issue and to be a good mediator and facilitator – Yes, I dislike conflict and have always defaulted to the mediator role, I'm also pretty good at it as I pay attention to how the other person needs me to approach things.

• My heightened awareness of sensations, aesthetics, and the here and now – Dunno, I can have that, or I can be totally oblivious, I am actually pretty good with appreciating the here and now tho.

• Being able to go with the flow and feel one with the universe. – Going with the flow works, dunno about the universe thing, I have moments where that hits but for the most part I’m too busy going with the flow to notice.

What I Like About Being a SEVEN

• Being optimistic and not letting life's troubles get me down – Amen.

• Being spontaneous and free-spirited – I don’t see myself as spontaneous, I’m more impulsive, free-spirited? Meh.

• Being outspoken and outrageous. It's part of the fun. – It is part of the fun but I don’t think I am very often. I do it for the fun when I do, but then I can kind of want to sink into the shadows.

• Being generous and trying to make the world a better place – Generous yes, making the world a better place? Meh, only when it flows that way.

• Having the guts to take risks and to try exciting adventures – Hell YEAH!

• Having such varied interests and abilities – Sure.

What's Hard About Being a NINE

• Being judged and misunderstood for being placid and/or indecisive – Don’t think I am.

• Being critical of myself for lacking initiative and discipline – That part sucks.

• Being too sensitive to criticism; taking every raised eyebrow and twitch of the mouth personally – I’m not sensitive per say, never have been, but I do read into things like that then back away and raise my defenses if I feel they are not receptive to whatever I’m selling. I keep my guard pretty high, when I do let it down I can be destroyed easily, but I get back up again pretty quick without scars.

• Being confused about what I really want – Am I supposed to want something?

• Caring too much about what others will think of me – I don’t think I do.

• Not being listened to or taken seriously – Can’t say that bothers me too much.

What's hard about being a SEVEN

• Not having enough time to do all the things I want – Don’t find that a problem.

• Not completing things I start – Well yeah, that’s kinda annoying.

• Not being able to profit from the benefits that come from specializing; not making a commitment to a career – Well I fell into my job but I have been focused in the past on promotion so have a career of sorts.

• Having a tendency to be ungrounded; getting lost in plans or fantasies – I can get lost in plans but I don’t think I’m ungrounded, the best way to describe myself is to say that I can simultaneously have my feet on the ground and my head in the clouds.

• Feeling confined when I'm in a one-to-one relationship – Yeah.

NINEs as Children Often

• Feel ignored and that their wants, opinions, and feelings are unimportant – Youngest in a large family? Yeah maybe, dunno.

• Tune out a lot, especially when others argue – Yes, very true, I spent 90% of my time growing up in my room in the dark trying to block out the world and live in my fantasies. If I was on my own I would take over the house but as soon as someone would come home I would run to my room, close the door and pretend that I was doing nothing or not even there so they couldn’t interact with me (out of mind out of sight was my theory) as I didn’t want reality and didn’t want to get in trouble, even though I wasn’t doing anything wrong I was fearful that I would be yelled at anyway.

• Are "good" children: deny anger or keep it to themselves – Dunno, think my anger was always "quiet/seething" over explosive.

SEVENs as Children Often

• Are action oriented and adventuresome – I enjoyed being outdoors and was in some ways fearless.

• Drum up excitement – Not really.

• Prefer being with other children to being alone – Neither here nor there.

• Finesse their way around adults – Dunno, pretty sure friends parents always saw me as responsible and mature compared to other brats.

• Dream of the freedom they'll have when they grow up – Dunno, dreams were more fantasy over reality.

Silveresque

I relate very strongly to 7 and 9, due to my stupid levels of optimism and unstoppable love of fun I always went with 7 but the more that I look at it, and accept that the reason I couldn't see 9 so well is due to struggling with self-perception, the more it seems highly unlikely that I'm 7w8 over 9w8. I think 7 is my ideal.

7 is the other one I was thinking it seemed like. I definitely see a lot of optimism and fun-loving in there, but for some reason it seemed more 9-ish to me. Have you looked at the misidentifications for 9 and 7?

Misidentifying Sevens and Nines

Sevens and Nines might seem difficult to confuse since average Sevens are the hyperactive extroverts of the Enneagram, while average Nines are obviously passive and complacent, and live at a much lower energy level than Sevens.

The main reason they can sometimes be confused is that both types can be extremely busy and both are usually rather ebullient and happy. Furthermore, the defense mechanisms of both types are similar: both have repressed their inner worlds—Nines to maintain their identification with an idealized other, Sevens to avoid cutting themselves off from sources of external stimulation.

The points of similarity are reflected in their psychic structures–the fact that both are sensation types in the Jungian model, Sevens corresponding to the extroverted and Nines to the introverted sensation type (PT, 193 and 250). While it is clear from even a superficial acquaintance with Sevens that they are highly extroverted and orient themselves to the world via sensation, what is unclear is that Nines are introverted. What is even more unclear is the nature of the sensation that they introvert on. This is why the inner world of Nines is so obscure and difficult to describe (and why others have not understood this type's proper correlation to the Jungian category).

A deeper understanding of the Nine's psyche comes from realizing that the Nine orients itself to the world by introverting on the "sensation" of possessing union with another–by introjecting another, and then idealizing that introjection. To put this in simpler terms, their sense of self comes from the emotion they feel when they sense their identification with another person, much as a pregnant woman introverts with thoughts of love for her unborn child. By talking to the child in her womb, she gains a sense of herself as a mother. In a similar way, Nines commune with their inner sensations (identifications), maintaining their sense of self by living through an identification with another person. Hence they correspond to the Jungian introverted sensation type.

This introversion accounts for the inner life of Nines, which is largely out of view, protected in the inner sanctum of their psyches so that it cannot be easily disturbed or changed. It is in their dealings with the outside world that Nines can resemble Sevens.

Average Sevens are hyperactive, busy with too many things superficially. They dabble around to amuse themselves and to stave off boredom and anxiety. Similarly, Nines are highly intolerant of anxiety, and they stay busy to avoid it, using errands and hobbies to occupy their minds in undemanding, non-threatening ways. They want to avoid conflict or over excitement; by contrast, Sevens love excitement. Sevens become demanding and excessive and crassly materialistic as they deteriorate, while Nines become more passive, indifferent, and unresponsive as they become more unhealthy. Sevens want to be stimulated, whereas Nines want to avoid anything that would overly stimulate, much less upset, them. The essential difference is that average Nines do not want to be emotionally involved in their activities (since these can threaten their identifications), whereas Sevens want to have an increasingly high emotional charge from their activities (since they have few subjective identifications).

Furthermore, Nines do not seek the same kind of happiness that Sevens do (euphoria and elation). Instead, they wish to maintain a state of placid contentment, of being neither too excited nor in discomfort. Indeed, if they could, they would be completely free of excessive stimulation of any kind. The Nine's desire to avoid becoming deeply involved with anything lest it arouse too high a response is the polar opposite of what we find in the average Seven. As we have seen, like all opposites, these two types can nevertheless be alike in many ways. Consider the differences between John F. Kennedy (a Seven) and Ronald Reagan (a Nine) or between Bette Midler (a Seven) and Ingrid Bergman (a Nine) for further insight into these two types.

My tritype def has 7w8 and 9w8 in it, followed by either 3w4 or 4w3, really haven't paid too much attention to the heart types cause it's just so not me.

Maybe 3w4 then. 3w4 is the type in the heart triad most out of touch with the heart.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't even realize this was about you.

You're definitely more 7 than 9. My Mum is a 9, my bro is a 7, you're far more like him than her. You don't become completely unfocused and meandering like my mum does at all.

Retreating though through stress suggests a withdrawing type though I think 7s are capable of this as well, they avoid pain after all.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[From quote] Sevens and Nines might seem difficult to confuse since average Sevens are the hyperactive extroverts of the Enneagram, while average Nines are obviously passive and complacent, and live at a much lower energy level than Sevens.

If that was the way to tell them apart then 7 would be off the table, I am not high energy:

extraversion.jpg

You generally make friends easily enough although you mostly don't go out of your way to demonstrate positive feelings toward others. You like crowds but sometimes feel overwhelmed by them. Sometimes you feel like you need some privacy and time for yourself. You are an active group participant but usually prefer to let someone else be the group leader. You lead a leisurely and relaxed life. You would prefer to sit back and smell the roses than indulge in high energy activities. You love bright lights and hustle and bustle. You are likely to take risks and seek thrills. You experience a range of positive feelings, including happiness, enthusiasm, optimism, and joy.

I'm excitable and encouragable, but not high energy or clearly extroverted. As extreme as those scores look with energy v other extraversion, it's fair.

A deeper understanding of the Nine's psyche comes from realizing that the Nine orients itself to the world by introverting on the "sensation" of possessing union with another–by introjecting another, and then idealizing that introjection. To put this in simpler terms, their sense of self comes from the emotion they feel when they sense their identification with another person, much as a pregnant woman introverts with thoughts of love for her unborn child. By talking to the child in her womb, she gains a sense of herself as a mother. In a similar way, Nines commune with their inner sensations (identifications), maintaining their sense of self by living through an identification with another person. Hence they correspond to the Jungian introverted sensation type.

I had to read that a few times to get it to sink in but it does feel somewhat true for me, I don't have a strong sense of self, who I am depends on who I'm with, not because I change but because who they see me as changes my view of myself. I'm fiercely independent, but I'm also unsure of who I am unless someone else tells me.

Actually that's something I've always struggled to comprehend until now: I constantly seek reassurance, not because I have low self esteem, I don't believe I do, but because I have poor perception on who I am and need to be told again and again to understand.

Average Sevens are hyperactive, busy with too many things superficially. They dabble around to amuse themselves and to stave off boredom and anxiety. Similarly, Nines are highly intolerant of anxiety, and they stay busy to avoid it, using errands and hobbies to occupy their minds in undemanding, non-threatening ways. They want to avoid conflict or over excitement; by contrast, Sevens love excitement.

I love excitement, and activity, I just don't create it. For one I often can't be bothered with the effort, and for two I often don't know how it would go across with others and that stops me.

Sevens become demanding and excessive and crassly materialistic as they deteriorate, while Nines become more passive, indifferent, and unresponsive as they become more unhealthy. Sevens want to be stimulated, whereas Nines want to avoid anything that would overly stimulate, much less upset, them. The essential difference is that average Nines do not want to be emotionally involved in their activities (since these can threaten their identifications), whereas Sevens want to have an increasingly high emotional charge from their activities (since they have few subjective identifications).

When stressed I relate to excessive, materialistic, passive and unresponsive =/ I seek avoidance, the easiest way is to do it in isolation however if the opportunity to be stimulated came up I would take it as I know that when around people or activity I will recharge and leave in a better mind frame then I started with. I want an emotional high from activities, good feelings chase off the bad ones, at least for a while.

Furthermore, Nines do not seek the same kind of happiness that Sevens do (euphoria and elation). Instead, they wish to maintain a state of placid contentment, of being neither too excited nor in discomfort. Indeed, if they could, they would be completely free of excessive stimulation of any kind. The Nine's desire to avoid becoming deeply involved with anything lest it arouse too high a response is the polar opposite of what we find in the average Seven.

I like euphoria. I seek highs.

I didn't even realize this was about you.

You're definitely more 7 than 9. My Mum is a 9, my bro is a 7, you're far more like him than her. You don't become completely unfocused and meandering like my mum does at all.

Retreating though through stress suggests a withdrawing type though I think 7s are capable of this as well, they avoid pain after all.

Yeah, I don't think I'm unfocused, nor indirect when talking, actually I can be too direct at times. And the withdrawal thing is something both types can share in different ways, that's the reason I saw 7 fitting so well; my avoidance when something I don't like comes along rather than dealing with it asap to minimise it's impact, I stick my head in the sand and hum "lalalaa". But then it seems both types are pretty good at that tack.

Looking at something linked in elsewhere

http://mindheart.org/junction/oldcj/ep/types/9/98.html

unbalanced and unhealthy states

Stressed 9/8 tends to fall into an unselfed dream state. If the dream deepens, apathy leads to sixish suspicion, while eightish defensiveness leads to fiveish paranoia. Nine's primary defense of withdrawal is enhanced by both tendencies, and 9/8 becomes a reclusive, lazy, mistrustful, hermit.

In the worst cases, the tendency to escape by going to sleep leads to total avoidance of any kind of real interaction. Bills go unpaid, the phone rings without being answered, and the lawn goes unmowed. Somnolence leads 9/8 deeper and deeper into self-negation, resulting in a paranoid sort of comatose sloth. No one is home in the body, and the body is powered down. Can there be any life at all in such a dead state?

That is me, in a really bad way. I can go for months without opening mail, and for years friends would pay me out about the stupidity of me owning a phone cause I never answered it. That was me in deep depression. I survived as much as I could by living in a dream state when I could.

http://mindheart.org/junction/oldcj/ep/types/7/78.html

unbalanced and unhealthy states

Under stress, 7/8 gets ever-wilder. When others fail to respond with enough enthusiasm to the high-pressure sales tactics, and the high of the latest exciting trip begins to wear off, it's time for the next wild ride. Maybe just a little bigger dose will do it. New ideas seem to erase old problems, and each one is bigger and better than the last one. If it doesn't work, forget it and move to the next grand scheme. You've got to try this, it's totally fantastic!

As the highs get higher, the lows scrape lower. But the miserable mornings are soon forgotten, because there's an even better high coming. What a fabulous idea I've got! All I need is a thousand bucks and you'll get it all back next week! But first, lets have an all-night party to celebrate! Very unbalanced 7/8 heads into ever-deeper entrapments, promising ever-greater rewards to those who will finance (or otherwise support) rapidly exploding levels of excessive indulgence. It all leads inevitably to the great crash, and utter dissipation. Fearfully, psychotic 7/8 withdraws into a shell of total escapist fantasy, depressed and lost in exhaustion. Possibly, the law is hot on the trail by now, and jail is not far away.

That is not me.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Who are our resident forum 9s? I know [MENTION=4515]wolfy[/MENTION], [MENTION=4722]Udog[/MENTION], [MENTION=13844]redcheerio[/MENTION], and [MENTION=3]MacGuffin[/MENTION] but that's all that jumps to mind as settled on E-type. Come help me guys! What are good descriptions, or give me your own explaining how 9ness manifests.

R

Riva

Could ENTP Enneagram 9s exist?

[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]

This is very odd. I took an enneagram test after a very very long time today. (I dislike taking tests.) And I got enneagram 9. The second in line was enneagram 7.

I believed I misinterpreted the questions because I didn't believe enneagram 9 ENTPs could exist.

Could it, could ENTP enneagram 9s exist?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=4324]Kasper[/MENTION]

This is very odd. I took an enneagram test after a very very long time today. (I dislike taking tests.) And I got enneagram 9. The second in line was enneagram 7.

I believed I misinterpreted the questions because I didn't believe enneagram 9 ENTPs could exist.

Could it, could ENTP enneagram 9s exist?

[MENTION=13844]redcheerio[/MENTION] is ENTP 9w8, [MENTION=227]ThatsWhatHeSaid[/MENTION] (who doesn't claim I or E but really should jump to the ENTP side of the fence) thinks he's a 9(w1 I think).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[

The ones you said maybe to are interesting to me, esp that you included 9, 7 and 4 as all may be part of my tritype. What's your take based on knowing it's mine and having an understanding of how I handle conflict with the mod stuffs?

Actually, I had no idea that stuff was yours! Just was guessing based on the pictures and what was written. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Noon

I'm guessing 7 because of these:
On the outside I'm the responsible, mature, balanced one that can be counted on in any situation to hold things together and be adult. On the inside it's some kind of fun fantasy land where everything is mysterious, wondrous and magical, where I'm always in awe of the world and my possibilities and have no chance ever making the mistake of growing up.
Yep... my inner world cracks me up.

7s are a part of the head triad (detachment) and even though they are considered clasically extraverted, they are Idealists who are not focused on reality as it is. 9s are Positive Outlookers like 7s, but they don't view the world in terms of potentially emotionally fulfilling possibilities that need to be manifested (chased after, whether literally or metaphorically); they simply reframe it into a place where negativity is minimized, and they are unperturbed. 7s are also part of the "aggressive" grouping (3, 7, 8) who identify with their own desires and directly pursue them. Whether or not the 7 is a true extrovert or not, they still have an essentially active way of seeing the world as opposed to the 9's very passive one.

2KXih.gif

7s appear to be moving towards people but their focus is really leaning away from them.
9s appear to be moving away from people (withdrawing) but their focus is really leaning towards them ("merging").

Type 7: The Embracing Ideal-Seeker (+/0) said:
The 7 embraces the world on the surface, but moves away from it underneath. So while the 7 seems focused on enjoying the real world, their mind is actually attending to a glorious fantasy of how things could be even better. Like the 1 and 4, the 7’s unbounded fantasies make the real world seem forever inadequate by comparison, leading to a chronic feeling of "something missing", or in the 7’s case, of having "missed out" on something. However, the 7’s disappointments are often hidden behind their embracing exterior, which has a large capacity for positive, appreciative emotions. Like the other ideal-seekers, the 7 is satisfied only with the best of whatever they become interested in. However, because they have so many positive feelings for so many things, they may start to define "best" in terms of quantity rather than quality. The 7’s inspiration-seeking qualities are under-recognized, because many view the 7 as a glutton, seeking merely to consume everything in sight. However, the 7’s higher aspirations are evident in creations such as Mozart’s extraordinary music, or the "Camelot" ideals and lunar mission inspired by President Kennedy.

VS

Type 9: The Withdrawn Approval-Seeker. (0/+) said:
The 9 moves away from others on the surface, but toward others underneath. Hence, the 9 is caught between wanting to detach from others while still wanting to identify with others in the long term. Their habitual solution is to withdraw in non-threatening ways, to allow themselves to reconnect later. Average 9s seem calm on the surface, but their underlying feelings resonate with the atmosphere that surrounds them, making 9s fairly sensitive to the emotional states of people around them. Like the 3 and 6, the 9 is prone to the mistake of unquestioningly taking on the values of others around them. In the 9, this behavior often takes the form of passive acquiescence.
(http://www.9types.com/writeup/Theory20.htm)

Type 7 said:
7s are similarly seen as enthusiastic (p. 82, Riso). They characteristically 'escape into the limitless possibilities of imagination' (p. 275, Palmer).

It is the 7 whose attention is habitually '...attracted to fascinating ideas and dreams', making it very hard for them 'to slow the mind down in order to focus on a single point' (p. 297, Palmer).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Copied from http://www.personalitynation.com/enneagram/2891-fauvres-tritype-archetypes.html

Not sure if it is right at all but thought it might be worth looking at.

This is the sort of sprite or fairy like tritype. There is a need to remain positive while still searching for meaning. The blindspot is that there is an attraction to magical thinking and missed opportunities to speak their truth so they find themselves glossing over negative feeling states in favor of something more comfortable or positive. When 4 is in charge there's a tendency to not see all the ways in which depression or sadness is evaded through this magical thinking process.

the life mission is that this is the true healer archetype. They are often found doing bodywork or other healing practices as these are the 3 types that have a desire to transform. They like to inspire people toward happiness through expressing their creativity in a peaceful non-intrusive way.

She said this is the most lyrical type, a sort of ethereal archetype (so is the 459 but it is a more withdrawn ethereal quality, almost wispy and ghost like) whereas the energy here is lighter and more impish or I think when it's a male energy you get a strong trickster archetype (like dfgray). Playful yet meaningful. Very idealistic (although not quite as idealistic as the 471) but still concerned with maintaining positivity and feelings of being up. I think Regina Spektor is an example of this archetype with 4 in charge.

I'm actually put off by the idea of being in a "healing profession", though there's a strong likelihood that 7-4-9 is my tritype. I guess it's a reluctance to mix energies with society at large, or something of that nature. I wouldn't want to be in a profession where I constantly had to touch people. I'm not a cold person, I just wouldn't want a day filled with people-touching, if that makes sense.

EDIT: Oh, also, I would have to say "reluctant to show anything negative" is not such a likely descriptor for me.
Katherine said the 479 (749, 947) all took some kind of issue with the term "healer", even if they were in healing professions or were attracted to it. She was wondering what it was about that term that was off-putting, so what you've shared above is interesting (from a 7 perspective).

She said this is the gentle soul tritype that has a healing presence on others whether or not they intend to so when she says healer this is what she means as opposed to being vocationally attracted to the healing arts (although this is very common with this tritype).

I think for me when I was deciding between 479 and 478 I realized that my tendency to push, and shake up overrides my tendency to calm down. Although I can do both. I ultimately didn't end up going into counseling because I am a.) too impatient b.) too bossy and directive and c.) need to have more freedom to invite change than that discipline can allow.

So while I consider myself attracted to healing, and am interested in healing arts (energy healing, reiki, etc). I want to manifest it through a more intense and provocative way. Something that shakes people up in order to invite growth and development.

When 8 replaces the 9 you get more of a sense of groundedness or at least more practicality and realism that can seem a little harder edged and less lyrical.

For me there's less of a tendency toward optimism for the sake of being positive or keeping it light, although I don't like for things to get too serious, but if things need to be serious than I'm willing to go there. It's more of an if it's ugly, let's look at it. I actually struggle with that within myself; needing to see it if it's ugly (4 and 5 wing) with a propensity toward evasiveness and denial (with the 7 and 8) it's a strange mixture. Katherine says with 9 it (whatever "it" may be) must be transmuted into something lyrical, beautiful or playful to be tolerable.

wolfy

awsm
Who are our resident forum 9s? I know wolfy... (some others) but that's all that jumps to mind as settled on E-type. Come help me guys! What are good descriptions, or give me your own explaining how 9ness manifests.

I relate to eight as a motivation and I relate to gut types. I don't, or didn't feel like I was a head type like a seven when I was looking into enneagram. I am not bossy like the expectation of a 8 type. I am more your everyday guy, the kind of guy that might like a pie at a rugby league game. It was more a method of subtraction than, 'this is it!' for me. I just posted this too which seems related to this in my mind.

I also liked that Dirty Harry was 9w8.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was thinking Enneagram 7, likely ENFP.
9s are more stable and linear(on the outside) than this.