• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram experts and wannabes, E9s and E7s come hither! TYPE ME!!

What type should I consider?

• Total voters

wolfy

awsm
9s are supposed to be sensitive but tbh I don't know how that is supposed to play out, criticism is simply the way I see most people react with sensitivity, it could simply be a matter of me not reading or understanding that point correctly. Be gentle, it's my first day of being a 9 *innocent eyes*

I don't know either, but I imagine it is interwoven with your personal understanding of balance. And anything that is seen tipping that balance triggers a sensitive response.

The word sensitive is interesting. I'm not sure how it plays out either. But it is probably independent of the overall pattern.

9s are the gut type that can be really strong there, but also completely out of touch with it. There seems to be a wide range of variety with this type.

Yeah.

Frankly I don't know if I am, or am not in touch with my gut, I know I am in touch with my head, and out of touch with heard but I'm a big bowl of "meh" when I try to figure out how in touch with my gut I am. Must read more on that.

Do you mean head again in bold? I don't know how much reading will help, try paying attention to how your body reacts.

Question: Can an E9 who is out of touch with their gut appear that way to others as well, as in not seem like a gut type?

Theoretically nine can appear to have the traits of all the other types. So, yeah.

I found the cycles here interesting to reflect on. I actually relate more to the eight cycle as a motivation but chose 9w8 overall.

wildflower

thanks for taking the time to write all that out. a few more questions to see if you will be a bit more specific. the more specific a person is the easier it is to type them. i know you are a bass player but what type of music specifically do you like and play. the genre (e.g. goth--i know you're not goth :D, ska, etc) is ok as i may not know the specific bands unless they are well-known. same with books if you are a reader or movies. (e.g. art books, science or history books, action adventure movies, science fiction or fantasy movies, etc). your genre favorites say a lot about your type. also, when you have withdrawn from others what do you do most when you withdraw e.g. eat, sulk, drink, read, obsessively overanalyze, endlessly watch movies, etc. oh yeah, when you say football you mean soccer to this american, right?

a few more questions i'm adding: tell me about the army, why you joined, how you found it, why you left, etc. and are you spiritual and/or religious at all and if so what type? lastly, describe yourself with only 3 words.

happy new year!

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:):)youre definately in a 3-6-9 triangle, but i think 9 is the least likely.
youre definately not a 7.

imo :)

you stated image triad issues, dont know why you excluded image triad bc some evidence point to it as well.

Definitely is too strong a word.

I said the heart centre is highly unlikely because I do not relate to it, I am not a heart person, I do not lead with it, I often do not even know what my heart wants. I haven't rules out any types to be honest, I do not like limiting options so if someone can put up a case (so to speak) for one of the types I find unlikely I will take it on and think about it seriously. The only two types I can see myself as are E9 or E7 but I have been, and will continue to take other options on board as I accept that I may not relate because of a lack of understanding of the type, myself, or both.

I struggle hard to see 1, 6, 2, 3, 4 as serious options. But I am still looking at them.

I can be driven, and I can be image conscious, but for the most part I am not. My need for self-improvement is about self, not others or a need to be admired, I must understand myself so I can know who I am.

Do you mean head again in bold? I don't know how much reading will help, try paying attention to how your body reacts.

Oops, I meant heart. I'm trying to notice how I react as well, I think with reading I'm trying to find words that jump out at me that can explain what I should be noticing.

I found the cycles here interesting to reflect on. I actually relate more to the eight cycle as a motivation but chose 9w8 overall.

I can relate to 7, 8 and 9. In that order. None of the others worked for me.

i know you are a bass player but what type of music specifically do you like and play.

In terms of playing, Red Hot Chilli Peppers is my favourite band to get into with bass as I think Flea is one kick ass bass player and has wicked licks. The most important part is that the bass line is good so the other stuff I get into is rather diverse but there is good representation by bands like Muse, The Eels, Green Day and any kind of blues I can get my grubby hands on.

In terms of listening, I loooove anything that is heavy in a metal way with symphonic undertones; Agalloch, Dream Theater, Nightwish, HIM, Muse etc.

There's some Aussie bands that people may not know but my fb page also lists; Metallica, The Mess Hall, Keane, R.E.M., Goldfrapp, Goyte, Karnivool, Birds of Tokyo, In Fiction, Matchbook Romance, Marilyn Manson, System of a Down, Paul Mac, Gotan Project, Queen, Jeff Buckley, Musicals.

Also, when you have withdrawn from others what do you do most when you withdraw e.g. eat, sulk, drink, read, obsessively overanalyze, endlessly watch movies, etc.

-I don't sulk.
-I will read, watch movies or surf the internet the most.
-On some occasions I have drunk but for the most part it's one or two to relax me.
-I generally forget to eat, I know how stupid that sounds but I really do, I can go for days without eating until something prompts me into realising I'm hungry.
-I can overanalyse but that is generally limited to either events that have bothered me somehow and I'm trying to understand why, or romance when I do not know where I stand. Otherwise I tend to turn off the thinking button and just be.

oh yeah, when you say football you mean soccer to this american, right?

Nah, over here we call it soccer for the most part too as football refers to either Aussie Rules footy, or Rugby. In this instance I'm simply referring to any sport that involves balls and kicking them or there abouts; rugby, AFL, touch.

a few more questions i'm adding: tell me about the army, why you joined, how you found it, why you left, etc.

I joined for the adventure and experience, I didn't know what I wanted to do at 17 when I finished school and had an interest in the services; defence, police etc, so joining the reserves was a great way to have adventure and experiences while seeing if it was what I wanted to do. I did not do it to rebel against my family although they were not thrilled, I did it for me.

I loved it. I am very quick to pick up new things, most Army practices have simple logic behind them so once I understood why something needed to be done a set way I found it easy. It was a challenge, which I thrived on, there was comradeship, there were lots of new and fun experiences and they gave us rifles to play with! I got to play soldier, and do something I considered important. Where else could I get paid to drive kickass trucks? Why else would I bother with that skill? I like that I have random skills like that which no one would expect me to have as getting them involved an experience out of the norm.

I left because I stopped going, I was at uni and my classes interfered with parades, I was officially inactive for a while before I was discharged. I was in from 17 to about 23 and discharged not too long after that (I think, I didn't actually know I was officially discharged till a long time after it happened).

and are you spiritual and/or religious at all and if so what type?

No. I grew up in a cult-like religion and am fiercely anti-religious now (although I respect other people's choice to pick faith), I also consider myself atheist now.

When it comes to spirituality I love things like tai chi, I love it because it can a) get me out of my head into my body completely, b) it is about energy flow and being connected internally and externally and c) for whatever reason I walk away feeling like I'm about to explode into a giant ball of bliss.

Spirituality to me has nothing to do with super natural-esque things, it is about a connection with nature and the universe, and about finding a sense of inner peace.

lastly, describe yourself with only 3 words.

Open-minded, fun-loving, optimistic.

wildflower

i think i've got it narrowed down but still not sure yet. when you withdraw to read or watch movies give me some examples of your favorite movies and books like you did with music. that helps a lot.

btw, i'm no expert by any means at this but i do tend to be pretty intuitive and insightful about people.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think i've got it narrowed down but still not sure yet. when you withdraw to read or watch movies give me some examples of your favorite movies and books like you did with music. that helps a lot.

btw, i'm no expert by any means at this but i do tend to be pretty intuitive and insightful about people.

Books: Anything by Stephen King, the dark tower series was my favourite ever book/s, the Dune series, books about gender/sexuality, other random Si-Fi or fantasy and/or books that show up on the 'must read before you die' list, I also enjoy crime mysteries. If I don't love what I'm reading I tend to start a few at once and finish those that grab me in a day or two while others can take months even years to actually finish, if at all.

Movies: Reservoir Dogs, The Boondock Saints, Shawshank Redemption, Donnie Darko, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Lost Boys, just about anything by Tarintino, Amelie. I like stuff that is left of centre quirky and anything with superheros, oh yeah!

My favourite thing to watch is TV series though, as in on DVD not TV, I never watch TV. Stuff I own and love/have loved: BSG, Firefly, Oz, Scrubs, Law & Order SVU, Daria, Dr Who, How I met your mother, Dead Zone, American Gothic, Freaks and Geeks, 4400, and lots of other Si-fi type stuff.

wildflower

one last question. i've got it narrowed down to two types with their wings but just can't quite figure out which it is. would you rather be liked or peaceful? you have to choose only one. :)

Starry

Cheers. You're 7w6 aren't you?

whoops...I did want to come back and try to put into words why I voted 7w8 - and here you are! ((I find things like cooking and doing dishes so fricken boring these days...that I prop the computer up on a little ledge in my kitchen so I can be on the computer as well...but then my responses are lacking!)

Yeah I'm 7w6. It took me forever to see this though (now I'm not sure how I could have seen it any other way).
I should admit that I didn't really read all of this thread carefully. But I watched your video...and I can relate to much of what you are saying.

I am not even remotely 'high energy'. I mean...I am very active in my mind...I'm mentally active. But I am about as physically lazy as they come. I sometimes wonder if that aspect of the 7 descriptions are written more for extroverted sensors. I don't know...but I have wondered this. Likewise...I am not someone that cares to be the center of attention. I will put myself at the center if I feel I can manipulate a situation for the better. Like if I'm trying to diffuse a situation that is headed towards conflict. Or perhaps energize a dull group of individuals. But other than that...I have no desire to be the center of attention. I would much rather be an equal part of an easy flowing social situation (ha! that probably doesn't really make sense). I like to be acknowledged for my contributions...but feel pressured if all the attention is on me.

I am a storyteller though. But what is odd...is that I believe you are as well. After reading your posts for two years now? Perhaps you are not telling stories as in 'listen to this segment of my life'...but the way you speak...? It is tell-tale 7 in my book (right now I'm thinking of this thread...and where you were talking about Barney lol. The way you described that...and connected it to other notions...that's story-telling my friend).

And this thing with regards to conflict avoidance... I'm pretty sure 7s are considered conflict avoidant as well. I think 7s can be a little...'I want what I want when I want it' (a little bit of the glutton there). What I'm trying to say is that...we don't mind conflict so much when we want to deal with something. But heaven forbid we deal with any kind of conflict - either created by us that we wish not to face...or from another person. For the most part we just want a 'happy kind of disneyland where everyone holds hands and gets along and Barney is there as well dancing in his big creepy purple suit'.

I think 7s that have a strong connection to 5 have a really hard time seeing themselves in the 7 descriptions.

What else was I going to say...
Oh...you have that future orientation of the 7. Or at least this is what I see in you.

disclaimer - all of this was written on the fly.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
one last question. i've got it narrowed down to two types with their wings but just can't quite figure out which it is. would you rather be liked or peaceful? you have to choose only one. :)

Ack. Tough.

I can't answer in a word as my normal instinctive reaction is to weigh up what the other person wants to hear, and/or figure out which one is more fun, and give that, I need "write out loud" so to speak.

In terms of being liked I don't give a toss if an individual doesn't dig on me, I appreciate it if they're honest about disliking me rather than being all sweet and two-faced about it, I'd also rather they just leave me out of their life. I think I care more about being accepted and fitting-in than being liked. I don't even expect to be liked, I historically know I usually am but I expect neutrality more than anything and it can throw me when someone says they like me or praise me for a specific quality, I tend to take it as something quite shallow and surface as opposed to sincere, but I will be chuffed and smilie on the inside. I believe one of the reasons I keep people at emotional arms-length is because I expect them to realise that they don't like me enough to keep around at some point.

So, I guess I neither expect nor care about being liked, but I appreciate it and feel all glowy-icky on the insides when it happens. I want to be accepted and included more than liked.

I don't really know how one experiences peaceful or what it means to different people. I like inner calm, freedom from negative thoughts, even moods and stress free, outwardly I seek lack of conflict, hostility, negativity or human caused drama. I do not consider myself chaotic, but in terms of my thinking and random ideas I consider myself a touch hyper and excitable on the insides, which I love.

If peaceful means absence of negativity and hostility then it is 100% what I want and work towards. If it means something else then someone needs to explain that to me.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm gonna take your advice on trying it on for a while, you're a wise superherodog. Either the parts that I don't relate to will show themselves to be blind spots, or they'll show themselves to be an indication that I'm not a 9, the best way to find out is to take it on board.

:yes:

Inner conflict? Or conflict in general?

Yes.

By which I mean, both types of conflict count, although it's possible you face primarily one or the other.

Because I don't know how to recognise inner conflict, at most I recognise myself avoiding reality without good cause, and I don't have conflict with others as my automatic place to be is one of mediation, understanding the other pov and compromise.

What's a healthy way to notice, and then confront conflict?

This is tough, because everytime I try to give an example of a conflict as an INFP to an ENTP, the ENTP always has no clue what I'm talking about. Our minds work too differently.

I will say that one trick I've used is to identify topics that I would avoid thinking about *for no rational reason*, and using that as a road map for things I should try thinking about. When I did that, I would sometimes notice physiological symptoms of... agitation? My thoughts grew darker, or my jaw would clench, or I would need to get up and move about, etc. By noticing those physical signs, I was able to accept that I do have some anger there, which helped me begin to evaluate it with more consciousness.

I know that as an E9 I was so good at avoiding topics that I didn't realize I was avoiding them. That is definitely an E9 skill. Since you seem to recognize times when you are avoiding reality without good cause, take a moment and see if there are *logical benefits* to facing that reality. If you can logically determine that facing that reality is beneficial, but still find yourself resisting it, you know to dig deeper. Alternatively, taking a look at it logically might be enough to help you begin facing the issue.

As for healthy ways to confront conflict - I wish I knew that answer myself. It's tricky because there are so few things that truly bother me that I don't get a lot of opportunity to improve my ability to take on conflict... at least not when something is personally at stake. I'm great in professional type situations where I need to mediate conflict. That's easy. It's not so easy when it's about me.

wildflower

okay, let me rephrase, do you want more to be accepted/included or peaceful? you still only get one. :D by peaceful i think of inner calm, lack of stress, outer calm too. nothing upsetting going on just chilling and blissing out on life. (that's me trying to channel a 9 ;)

udog brings up a good issue. do you try to mediate conflicts when in a situation where others are not getting along? or would you stay out of it or even pick a side? find it entertaining? also, do you like to debate? or say black just because i say white?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Thanks Starry.

I am a storyteller though. But what is odd...is that I believe you are as well. After reading your posts for two years now? Perhaps you are not telling stories as in 'listen to this segment of my life'...but the way you speak...? It is tell-tale 7 in my book (right now I'm thinking of this thread...and where you were talking about Barney lol. The way you described that...and connected it to other notions...that's story-telling my friend).

Hurm. Okay, didn't think of it from that angle. I like using scrumptiously unnecessary words and imagery. I guess I relate story-telling to my ESFJ mother who talks and talks and talks about anything and everything to whatever audience is available.

And this thing with regards to conflict avoidance... I'm pretty sure 7s are considered conflict avoidant as well. I think 7s can be a little...'I want what I want when I want it' (a little bit of the glutton there). What I'm trying to say is that...we don't mind conflict so much when we want to deal with something. But heaven forbid we deal with any kind of conflict - either created by us that we wish not to face...or from another person. For the most part we just want a 'happy kind of disneyland where everyone holds hands and gets along and Barney is there as well dancing in his big creepy purple suit'.

The difference as I believe it is E7s are avoidant of anything that stops the happy-fun times. E9s are avoidant of anything that brings reality rushing back in. Neither enjoy conflict and both can be highly avoidant as such they can look similar here, but the motivation is slightly different.

I do want what I want when I want it, I am highly impulsive, sometimes it helps me chase a happy feeling but mostly it helps me avoid :biggrin:

What else was I going to say...
Oh...you have that future orientation of the 7. Or at least this is what I see in you.

I am very future orientated, which doesn't gel with E9 from what I've read. I've often looked at the below symbols as a potential tat called "Sankofa" which means "return and get it" as a symbol of importance of learning from the past, I love the message but have never been able to justify getting it as a tat as even though I love what it says it does not resinate stronly with me. I rarely think of things that are gone.

sank2_lg.gif
sank_lg.gif

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is tough, because everytime I try to give an example of a conflict as an INFP to an ENTP, the ENTP always has no clue what I'm talking about. Our minds work too differently.

I will say that one trick I've used is to identify topics that I would avoid thinking about *for no rational reason*, and using that as a road map for things I should try thinking about. When I did that, I would sometimes notice physiological symptoms of... agitation? My thoughts grew darker, or my jaw would clench, or I would need to get up and move about, etc. By noticing those physical signs, I was able to accept that I do have some anger there, which helped me begin to evaluate it with more consciousness.

Oh wow, you want me to go into the dark light *fear* It sounds so anti-instinctual that this will take considerable effort and time to firstly recognise the avoidance and then try to figure out the underlying issue, sounds scary fun, scary cause like eww at going there, fun because it'll be a new experience although at the time I'm sure I won't see it that way.

Ohh, on that note, do you think tense-ness could be a sign of withholding anger (or other emotions).

I know that as an E9 I was so good at avoiding topics that I didn't realize I was avoiding them. That is definitely an E9 skill. Since you seem to recognize times when you are avoiding reality without good cause, take a moment and see if there are *logical benefits* to facing that reality. If you can logically determine that facing that reality is beneficial, but still find yourself resisting it, you know to dig deeper. Alternatively, taking a look at it logically might be enough to help you begin facing the issue.

Oh there's definitely no logical reason that supports my avoidance, and sound logical reasons to deal with things. I know this, and I consider myself smart enough not to constantly fall back into avoiding things that will make life harder... but I do. Again and again. And so I get angry at myself for it, but then I think happy thoughts and go back to avoiding both the initial issue, and now also the stupidity of avoidance.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
okay, let me rephrase, do you want more to be accepted/included or peaceful? you still only get one. :D by peaceful i think of inner calm, lack of stress, outer calm too. nothing upsetting going on just chilling and blissing out on life. (that's me trying to channel a 9 ;)

Calm. I love people, but I can also live without people.

udog brings up a good issue. do you try to mediate conflicts when in a situation where others are not getting along? or would you stay out of it or even pick a side? find it entertaining?

Weeelllll it may be entertaining, sometimes :biggrin: usually only after the fact though.

I do mediate, it is a natural thing for me and I actually enjoy it (when it works out or doesn't impact on me too much). I do not pick sides in all but very rare occasions and I re-he-ally resent anyone who attempts to push me into picking one. This is different to defending someone, I will still do that while remaining Switzerland.

When people close to me fall out with each other and try to drag me in they lean quickly that I do not want to bitch about their 'ex-friend', I will still remain friends with that 'asshat', I do not believe they are innocent in the falling out, and I will not excuse them if they sit there and attempt to drag the other person's name through the mud.

My style of mediation is to try to get them to see the other person's perspective and to be forgiving of areas they cannot understand/relate to. I will allow them some room to express their hurt/anger/disappointment or whatever at the other person and not tell them they are wrong but unless it is completely indefensible I will defend the absent person. I am not forceful with it as my aim isn't to push my stance on them, but to indirectly persuade (or manipulate, I can own that) them to accepting different ways of being and taking responsibility for the aspects they should own.

And I am a moderator after all :biggrin:

also, do you like to debate? or say black just because i say white?

I love to debate, as in touch on topics in great depth where there are alternate views being given, it's how I learn and expand my understanding on things. I like being challenged and except in few topics where it's done to death (like marriage equality) I appreciate being put in a position where I have to defend a view as that's when you can best see holes. I will not admit to being wrong though, even if it comes clear to me that my argument has holes, I will subtly shift my view if I can, else I'll think it over more when on my own and next time the topic comes up start from my new enlightened pov.

I find it difficult to say white and have you believe that is my view if I actually mean black, I tend to do devil's advocate only with a disclaimer of 'what if'. I'm a suckful ENTP in that regard.

wildflower

9w8! it was that 8 wing that was throwing me all off. hah, didn't realize you were a mod. i kept thinking you might be a counterphobic 6w7 because counterphobic 6 can look like 8 and the 7 wing would explain your positivity but you just don't really fit a 6. when i asked you for three words to describe yourself and your first word was 'open-minded' i can't help but think of a 9. to me 9s are the epitome of open-minded. also, i didn't realize at first when you were talking about movies and tv that si fi is science fiction, lol. we say sci fi and i thought you were referring to cognitive functions which i'm not all that up on. once i looked up some of those movies, i haven't seen any of them except for rocky horror, i realized. so, that is my best guess for you. :) it's an unusual combination and the 8 sort of conflicts with the 9 so i can see why you'd be so hard to type.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Lol:

lol.png

I am the anti-one!! *flexes*

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I voted 7. I haven't read the rest of the thread/other arguments, I'm going mostly on vibes. I know a couple of 7s, I know a couple of 9s- and you, sir, remind me more of the 7s.