• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Still confused about my instinctual variant

Silveresque

So...I'm thinking I'm probably So first, otherwise I wouldn't constantly be trying to figure out how everything I do will be perceived by others.

So that should make me So/Sp, right? But there's a problem with that.

Social/self-pres

This type appears One-like also, but for different reasons. This time, the social instinct combines with the self-pres to give this subtype a strong desire to know where they fit within the group, with whom they can make strong alliances. Conversely, they can counterphobicaly oppose groups. They are usually political in some form. Adhering to rules is seen as very important to this type. They have issues with authority, such as distrusting reactively or trusting too vehemently. This is the result of their lack of a close connection to people (a function of the undeveloped sexual instinct). Their allegiance is not to individuals but to a group of like-minded others. This subtype could possibly find themselves in jobs such as with the police of firefighting force, and in such professions where it is possible to identify with a group which has clearly defined rules and purposes. On the up side, these are people with a strong moral compass; they can be counted on to do the right thing. They do volunteer work. They become politicians. They are generally solid people. On the down side, their "us against them" thinking can turn into bigotry, paranoia, and "playing the martyr."

In relationships, they can appear almost Two-like sometimes. Their need for people in their lives, coupled with the sexual instinct being last, causes them to worry about the close bonds they have with others and can also cause them to "go towards" while at the same time requiring validation about the strength of the bond. On the down side, they can become very critical of others when they fear their differences. Their need to find security within the group is threatened when others don’t do things the way they do or think the way they think. This occurs mostly when this subtype is unhealthy. When they are healthier, the differences between themselves and others are not bothersome and may even be seen as reassuring.

So/Sp's are loyal to the group, not the individual, and I'm definitely the other way around. I don't care about politics, or groups, or communities. I'm definitely more loyal to individuals than groups.

So that should make me So/Sx then, right? Well, maybe.

Social/Sexual

This type can be very different from the other social type, because with this type, security comes from making alliances with individuals. Their weakness comes from their self-pres instinct being last, so they are not as independent as the self-pres/soc. They rely on key people in their lives when doubt sets in. Their security comes from maintaining close bonds. They fear rejection much more then the soc/self-pres. This softens the strong stances seen in the soc/self-pres, because the soc/sex doesn’t find its security in organizations and government. They go through life looking for the people they think will be able to direct them. On the down side, they can make individuals into their authority figures and rely too much on them. They are a lighter Six. They go with the flow more than the other subtypes. They are likely to use humor to charm people, but on the down side may whine and complain about their circumstances to garner support. When healthier, their charm, enthusiasm and curiosity are infectious. They are very loyal friends, although that can be said more or less about all reasonably healthy Sixes. But with the self-pres/soc and the soc/sex nothing much more then your support is required, for maintaining their friendship.

So/Sx's find security from individuals rather than groups, so that works. But the problem I have with this variant is that sp is last.

What is sp last like? Less fearful of safety concerns? Does that make them less careful? I care a lot about physical comfort, and I usually notice right away when a room is too hot or cold, and I think about whether what I'm eating is unhealthy. And I always try to make sure I get enough sleep each night. How could I possibly be sp last?

I'm still confused...:unsure:

Silveresque

Try these charts, may be they will help, especially seeing that you already know your enneagram type.
Instincts Chart
Instincts & Enneagram Types Chart

Thanks. In the second link I don't seem to relate too strongly to any of them...sp maybe? I actually relate most to the sp 5 descriptions. I thought I was so, but I don't relate at all to being critical, argumentative, or a "truth-teller". I guess I'll go with sp/so for now.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Awesome. With the second link, as an E5, I relate to Secret Agent in 'Original Subtype Profiles' and Calm Introspector in 'Transformed Subtype Profiles'. What does that mean for me?
Transformed profiles are types at their higher health levels. Original profiles are medium to low health levels.

Thanks. In the second link I don't seem to relate too strongly to any of them...sp maybe? I actually relate most to the sp 5 descriptions. I thought I was so, but I don't relate at all to being critical, argumentative, or a "truth-teller". I guess I'll go with sp/so for now.
Are you sure that you're looking at the right one? For type 9 I don't see where it says about being critical and argumentative.

Silveresque

Are you sure that you're looking at the right one? For type 9 I don't see where it says about being critical and argumentative.

I changed types since then. I'm a 9 now but I thought I was a 4 before. Anyways, I just looked at the ones for 9 but I don't relate too strongly to any of them. :shrug:

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I changed types since then. I'm a 9 now but I thought I was a 4 before. Anyways, I just looked at the ones for 9 but I don't relate too strongly to any of them. :shrug:
I think that's the hallmark of Nine, to not relate to anything strongly :p

I didn't relate to my profile too well, but discovered that I had to re-interpret it slightly then I could relate to it better. I think these profiles are overly stereotyped just like MBTI type profiles and some individuals aren't going to fall neatly into the stereotypes they've built.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
So/Sp's are loyal to the group, not the individual, and I'm definitely the other way around. I don't care about politics, or groups, or communities. I'm definitely more loyal to individuals than groups.

So that should make me So/Sx then, right? Well, maybe.
I don't really identify with that statement either, though. I'm mostly loyal to my ideals, not so much to particular individuals or groups. The descriptions are never perfect - you just have to find the one that has the least number of alienating points :)

Here's another generalised description of so stackings:

Social Primary / Sexual Support
"The Intense Appealer"

Expression: bright smiley, intense expression
Energy: outward energy expressed intensely, broadly
Behavior: bright, smiley, erratic and scattered
Mindset: "If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Paige Davis (Trading Spaces), Tom Cruise

Social Primary / Self-Preservation Support
"The Collected Engage-er"

Expression: bright smiley, calm expression
Energy: outward energy expressed calmly, steadily, broadly (more flow and steady energy to their engaging and less jerkiness, gushiness, or over-the-topness like the so/sx)
Behavior: bright, smiley, calm and thoughtful
Mindset: "If I can establish an orderly and pleasing lifestyle, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Hilary Clinton, Ellen Degeneres

Source

Oh and a description for 9 so:

Social Nines: "Participation/Nonparticipation"

• In adddition to wanting to further causes, I join groups in order to structure my time, to soak up energy and become enlivened, to see how I can best fit in, and to discover where to direct myself.
  • Though I gravitate toward groups, I sometimes feel ambivalent about whether I really want to belong.
  • If someone becomes bossy or unpleasant, I often can't find the words to speak out, and I become stubborn or withdrawn instead.
  • I often stay on the fringe. This keeps me from having to commit myself fully and from having to participate in conflicts.
  • I bring my mediating skills and my ability to build consensus to groups.
  • I often take the role of caretaker due to my tendency to want to be all things to all people. Since I automatically become involved in whatever floats by, I pick up nuances from others; but I'm slow to pick up and express what I myself feel.

Source

Silveresque

I don't really identify with that statement either, though. I'm mostly loyal to my ideals, not so much to particular individuals or groups. The descriptions are never perfect - you just have to find the one that has the least number alienating points in it :)

Here's another generalised description of so stackings:

Social Primary / Sexual Support
"The Intense Appealer"

Expression: bright smiley, intense expression
Energy: outward energy expressed intensely, broadly
Behavior: bright, smiley, erratic and scattered
Mindset: "If I can get close to people with merging/intensity, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Paige Davis (Trading Spaces), Tom Cruise

Social Primary / Self-Preservation Support
"The Collected Engage-er"

Expression: bright smiley, calm expression
Energy: outward energy expressed calmly, steadily, broadly (more flow and steady energy to their engaging and less jerkiness, gushiness, or over-the-topness like the so/sx)
Behavior: bright, smiley, calm and thoughtful
Mindset: "If I can establish an orderly and pleasing lifestyle, I can make sure of and keep improving my position and inclusion in the group/world."
Examples: Hilary Clinton, Ellen Degeneres

Source

Oh and a description for 9 so:

Social Nines: "Participation/Nonparticipation"

• In adddition to wanting to further causes, I join groups in order to structure my time, to soak up energy and become enlivened, to see how I can best fit in, and to discover where to direct myself.
  • Though I gravitate toward groups, I sometimes feel ambivalent about whether I really want to belong.
  • If someone becomes bossy or unpleasant, I often can't find the words to speak out, and I become stubborn or withdrawn instead.
  • I often stay on the fringe. This keeps me from having to commit myself fully and from having to participate in conflicts.
  • I bring my mediating skills and my ability to build consensus to groups.
  • I often take the role of caretaker due to my tendency to want to be all things to all people. Since I automatically become involved in whatever floats by, I pick up nuances from others; but I'm slow to pick up and express what I myself feel.

Source

Hmm...neither of those fit me at all. I like the sp/sx one though. None of the others even come close based on those descriptions, so maybe I'll go with that for now. Thanks for the link. :)

Self-Preservation Primary / Sexual Support
"Beautiful Dreamer"

The image “http://www.musicweb-international.com/film/2001/Nov01/Amelie.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Expression: wistful self-absorbed expression, sighing, magic is in their head
Energy: calm, steady energy expressed intensely, withdrawing
Behavior: withdrawn, calm, wistful and self absorbed
Mindset: "I can have merging/intensity without having to leave my orderly & pleasing lifestyle." (imagination, safe people and relationships, when the safety of these are challenged they withdraw)
Examples: Alanis Morisette, Amelie (Amelie)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Have you made a video yet for the "type me" thread?

Silveresque

Have you made a video yet for the "type me" thread?

I was going to, but then I discovered my webcam sucks (and I don't have a video camera). Not only is the quality really bad, but occasionally it loses the sound or picture so I have to start over. I might get around to it eventually if I can get it to work...