• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's the point of being here if I can't find out my type?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if this is the correct area of the forum to post this, sorry if it isn't.

But basically, I can't decide on a type, and in general I'm hopelessly indecisive so I'm not sure if I will choose one any time in the near future.

So what good is it being in a forum where a large theme is the discussion of your type? I mean it is Typology central...

I feel like I'm just wasting my time here if I don't know what I am. Is that the case?

Nicodemus

We are all mistyped. The forum still works. Just pick something and play along.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mistyped and misunderstood, thats what keeps the conversations flowing.
Oh and general wrongness, and idiots.
Etc

Theres a lot more to add but...you get the picture.

LEGERdeMAIN

I don't know if this is the correct area of the forum to post this, sorry if it isn't.

But basically, I can't decide on a type, and in general I'm hopelessly indecisive so I'm not sure if I will choose one any time in the near future.

So what good is it being in a forum where a large theme is the discussion of your type? I mean it is Typology central...

I feel like I'm just wasting my time here if I don't know what I am. Is that the case?

what good is it to worry so much about which types you are? MBTI is just one model out of dozens. It's a model created by two women who had no fucking idea what was going on, except they once read a book by Jung and decided they could make some $$$ and get laid by ripping off Jung's interpretation of humorism. You'd be better off by just using this: http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/tim-learys-interpersonal-grid

editt: Not the "test", just the fuking interpersonal grid. test looks lame.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Don't ask what your typology can do for you, but what you can do for your Typology. seriously, rather than seeking an image of your supposed identity in what was written about typology, try to emobody your abstract understanding of any function and see how far you can get with that or what side effects/imbalances may come up. any understaning is good enough for an experiment, as long as it can be braught to life at all, which implies that there is some intrinsic reality to it. doing so contributes to your individuation and selfawareness and it can contribute to collective understanding of typology (if you report about your sucess and failure). typology is all about manifesting a potential. types are as much created, as they are observed, except creation isn't as effortles as observation and observation doesn't do the job of creation. you can only understand typology to the degree you can be it. other forms of understanding are delusional.

as for the forum.. its good for wasting time, no?

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That didn't take long.

Do you understand your proclivity for hopeless indecisiveness? No? Well, there are many people on here that know more than us and if you read and participate there is much to learn. Typology is just a theme that brought us to the door. It is certainly not what keeps many of us here. If you are interested in the workings and hypotheses behind interpersonal and internal interactions as they pertain to personality than stick around and learn. I am sure most of us could find something more productive to do with their time, however, we are enjoying the process of peeling back the layers.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
I stay here for the interesting discussions. As you can see from my type field all I know is that I'm a Pe dom. I don't really care abut finding my type right now. It is possible to discuss type without needing to know your own. ;) Not to mention all the non-type discussions here.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are a lot of people here that don't know their type. Don't worry about it...

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That didn't take long.

Despite how my post sounded, I'm not thinking of leaving. It just seemed absurd to me that I was hanging out on a forum all about typology when I didn't know my type, and I wanted other people's opinion on the matter.

LEGERdeMAIN

Despite how my post sounded, I'm not thinking of leaving. It just seemed absurd to me that I was hanging out on a forum all about typology when I didn't know my type, and I wanted other people's opinion on the matter.

Another's opinion of your personality is useless because this isn't a science in which all of us are using the same instruments to measure the same things - it's a forum with lots of different people with a variety of instruments attempting to ascertain objective fact(which does't exist) through their personal/biased/prejudiced reality tunnels. It's true that people may be able to help you; But, you need to know the basic rules of the system(whichever personality type model you're interested in) and become familiar with your "true self"(not the idealized self we project to others). It seems that you are unfamiliar with the system. Learn about it first, ask questions when questions arise, know yourself and don't take it too seriously.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another's opinion of your personality is useless because this isn't a science in which all of us are using the same instruments to measure the same things - it's a forum with lots of different people with a variety of instruments attempting to ascertain objective fact(which does't exist) through their personal/biased/prejudiced reality tunnels. It's true that people may be able to help you; But, you need to know the basic rules of the system(whichever personality type model you're interested in) and become familiar with your "true self"(not the idealized self we project to others). It seems that you are unfamiliar with the system. Learn about it first, ask questions when questions arise, know yourself and don't take it too seriously.

Actually I meant I was wondering how people felt about me hanging out on the forum without a type. I guess it was kind of a dumb question I guess.

I'm most likely an INFP, but the type I identify with changes so often that I tend to question the relevance of even having a type.

LEGERdeMAIN

Actually I meant I was wondering how people felt about me hanging out on the forum without a type. I guess it was kind of a dumb question I guess.

I'm most likely an INFP, but the type I identify with changes so often that I tend to question the relevance of even having a type.

Lots of people here don't have a type and I don't think anyone would mind whether you're an XXXX, INFP, WILD, ETC, ETC.

Usually people find the label that fits best most of the time, your type isn't DNA, it's the result of ever-changing chemical reactions within your skull. If you like INFP and it seems to be close to how you perceive yourself, maybe you can stick with it for awhile until you've changed enough to switch types. Regardless of what the Cultists say, type isn't something you're stuck with for life. Change your diet, your surroundings and sleeping habits or anything else that your brain must adjust to and you've changed yourself. Based on your posts in this thread, I perceive you as operating primarily on the second level of the Eight Circuit Model, the Emotional-Anal-Territorial Circuit. Do you drink alcohol?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Usually people find the label that fits best most of the time, your type isn't DNA, it's the result of ever-changing chemical reactions within your skull. If you like INFP and it seems to be close to how you perceive yourself, maybe you can stick with it for awhile until you've changed enough to switch types. Regardless of what the Cultists say, type isn't something you're stuck with for life. Change your diet, your surroundings and sleeping habits or anything else that your brain must adjust to and you've changed yourself. Based on your posts in this thread, I perceive you as operating primarily on the second level of the Eight Circuit Model, the Emotional-Anal-Territorial Circuit. Do you drink alcohol?

That was actually a really nice response. :D

No I don't drink. It would it be illegal for me to do so, and I probably wouldn't consider it even were that not the case.

Silveresque

I felt the same way about my type. I seriously could not stick with type for longer than a month because I kept having doubts and continued researching and analyzing constantly. I felt like there would be no point in typology if I couldn't use it to figure out my own type (though I think I might actually have chosen the right type this time, finally (maybe :unsure:)). Actually, thinking about why finding my type was so important to me helped me figure out my enneagram type.

Anyways, no one is going to shun you for not having chosen a type. A lot of members don't know what type they are, but maybe that's part of the reason they're here? In my opinion, you learn more from doubt than from certainty. :blush:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I've changed my type close to at least a hundred times…… And I will keep changing it, because I will keep changing.

pmj85

Look at the Jungian cognitive process and see if they offer any insight. You will have inherent preferences for certain functions; once you can ascertain which functions you prefer to use, you'll start getting a better picture of your type:

http://www.keys2cognition.com/cgjung.htm

For the record, you aren't alone. I very recently (within the past few weeks) discovered I'm an INFJ after thinking I was an I/ENFP for two years. It was a rather confusing time to say the least, but learning the actual processes behind the MBTI really makes all the difference; once I started getting a hang of those (and letting go of the stereotypical descriptions of functions and types, i.e. 'All Ps are messy and unstructured, all Js are hyper-organised) a very clear picture began to form. Good luck with it - self discovery can be a fascinating journey. Just don't let it consume you like it did me. Ni/Ti loops aren't a lot of fun, I assure you.

:shock:

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been here for a while, and it's taken me a longggggg time find my type. Id say that its been worth it. For a long time it was probably more for entertainment value, but each time I got closer to my actual type the stuff I was able to glean became more helpful. As for if you shoukd stay... Id say it comes down to whether you like message boards or not...

Jaguar

MBTI is just one model out of dozens. It's a model created by two women who had no fucking idea what was going on, except they once read a book by Jung and decided they could make some $$$ and get laid by ripping off Jung's interpretation of humorism.

Lol. That's one way of looking at it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First of all, you can talk about type for fun without knowing your own. Second of all, this is the worst place to find out your type. As far as I'm concerned, the only one who can figure out your type is you- (and maybe a few in life closest to you.) Consider all internet strangers inaccurate and confused.