• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

confused about type, need patient people's feedback

mcfly2309

Hi, i've been reading a lot about this and i have some questions about my type, I hope you are willing to help me with patience. I would like to tell you some details from my lifestyle that when put together don't fit very good with the supposed structure of my type. I think it would be better if you analyze the content of this and not my sentence structure and stuff like that since i'm not a native english speaker. I'm hoping to build my structure from the ground up instead of making the mold fit to me, which assumes things like that the auxiliary function will be opposite from my dominant function, because that is the source of my confusion. I've taken the test 5 different times in my lifetime... in high school I was INTP, later in college I was INTP, now 3 years i took the test again 3 times, once I got INFP, then INTP, then ISTP. And well, sometimes i wonder if i'm an INTJ... :blush: In the enneagram, I'm a type 5 with 4 wing. I've read many descriptions of the types and specific ones of the cognitive functions, so I don't need much more of that.

I'm not obsessed with myself, it's just that i think i've made bad decisions by not recognizing and using my strengths and now I would like to rediscover them to take myself out of a rut, so i thought the test would help. This also feels like a puzzle that i have to solve, which probably looks like INTP already, but i would say things aren't so simple.

Well, first i have a conflict between E and I. I always thought of myself as an introvert but now I realize that i've carried a lot of frustration for not finding like-minded people. So I wonder if i've been an introvert just because of circumstance and not like those introverts that just enjoy their inner world more. Being locked inside myself is a source of anxiety sometimes but also people's reactions to me make me anxious and so i remain quiet. I think of myself as the most extrovert when i'm among introverts. I don't like either loud and judgmental extroverts nor those kinds of cynical or arrogant introverts like INTP or INTJ respectively (from what i've read). When i think i need to be alone, but I also need outside feedback and intelectual challenge.

Between N and S. I have to say that I frequently rise to an abstract world in my thinking, but i feel like i have to go down to earth to get more information, so i'm constantly going up and down. I don't like empty rhetoric, nor do i like to dwell on theoretical issues. The best way for me to deal with the theoretical is to go back to experience. But once there, i'm tempted to see underlying patterns and i enjoy the feeling of exploring to discover a deep secret or something like that. When i do this, i don't like to go through the detail, but if I don't i feel like i don't really understand things. I enjoy writing aphorisms for example and that for me is N. If i can't have confirmation of my intuitions, i get bored, it seems i like the mystical and philosophical in moderate quantities and I need to get my feet on the ground again, which for me means S. I also studied psychology but had to get out because couldn't stand not knowing how things worked and just finding correlations and vague statements about people. On the other hand, i'm not very good with mechanical things, so I don't have to figure out how things work in that level.

Between T and F. I've been pretty cold with others, especially when they don't make sense. I like to push others to make sense in their arguments, but it's more like a friendly challenge that gets me frustrated when they won't make the effort. In my own world I frequently don't make the effort myself. I think i just have a quick comprehension of things, so I kind of cheat when I ask others to think to get there. Very smart people get to discover my cheating when they can explain things more thoroughly than I. I tell myself that if I don't think things through, people will think I'm dumber than I really am and won't take my opinion seriously, which has happened on not few occasions. I think this is due to bad verbal expression from me because after my frustration I find confirmation from some respected intelectual or something and then I am confident again. But without this confirmation I'm very insecure about my ideas and the way I express them. I think both INTP and INTJ are pretty confident about their ideas so this doesn't fit. The other thing is that i like to dwell on my and other people's emotions, I think it is very important to understand them... I try to come up with reasons for seemingly irrational behavior for example. And in this way, I try to make people feel understood but I don't always succeed. Seems to me like some people don't want to be understood but just act as they please. Childish behavior like this is the hardest for me to justify. Even so, I still try to make everyone feel like they belong, including myself, which is very F-like. Otherwise I feel anxious and like i'm the one making people uncomfortable... On a more ambitious note, my purpose through psychology was to study how social systems worked from the point of view of individuals in order to help create "social harmony". This is mainly because from family experiences i became concerned about mental health issues and started philosophizing about that.

I play devil's advocate with myself and others sometimes to the point of confusing myself with paradoxes and contradictions, so I get obsessed disentangling stuff like this personality matrix... I do it for the feeling of satisfaction and relief that I get at the end based on regaining mental clarity. So you see, feeling is important to me and very connected to thought, again not like INTP and INTJ's are described. I know how they are like from a physicist friend. He is like constantly in an intelectual competition with everyone on every level, which is markedly different to me. I can empathize with someone who doesn't understand, as long as he wants to understand it.

Finally, between J and P. I always get P which many associate with procrastination which I do a lot. I also avoid commitments and explore different subjects, don't like to be tied them either intelectually or emotionally. On the other hand, I have been very judgmental and impatient with people (cold robot) and feel the need to put my understanding of something to practical use, which is all J. But I don't like those kind of people generally and so I try to be more feeling like and more P like. When i explore different subjects I kind of make big leaps instead of being rigorous and detailed... i'm indisciplined in that sense, which is also P.

Summing up, I feel like i'm Ti for needing to think alone, but Te for needing to discuss ideas with others for feedback. I feel like i'm Fi because I dwell on my emotions, but Fe because I'm very alert to other people's emotions and reactions and like to make them feel well in my company. I'm not so clear whether i get my intuitions from outside or ideas just from a blank slate inside, it seems to me like everything comes from the outside ultimately, but also a lot of ideas bubble up in my head spontaneously which is more Ni. I could be Se if i consider that i'm always looking for outside information and i'm easily hooked up with music or visual stimulation, like an addict. I have also done martial arts and like drumming which are ways to let out energy physically, but i'm not very athletic and avoid all typical sports, contrary to typical Se's. I could be Si because I try to make inductions from analyzing my past and present experiences, like i'm trying to do now by analizing my own history. I also enjoy reading about contemporary little facts to understand the context i'm in.

I'm both annoying myself and amused by this attempt to figure out this thing, but I hope you will be more amused than annoyed :wink:, thanks for any useful feedback.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well, the wall of text seems to confirm you are a INXX ;)

But seriously I do think you probably are either INTP or INFP. I would caution you to not get too caught up in stereotypes. Some of the things you say, particularly about INTXs, are not true of all people of those types - so don't eliminate these types too easily. However, I must say overall I am leaning toward INFP.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's going to be hard to type you based on that. I think INTJ's are more likely to try to bring their ideas to action than INTP's, who are just theory for the sake of theory people. INTP exploring idea after idea after idea into the abyss, and INTJ wanting to choose the right one. Something is making me lean towards INTJ, though just by exploring such a variety possibilities in the OP points to INTP. You seem T to me on very first glance. I could comment a lot more but don't want to be tossing a bunch of random judgments around on that one post. Have you taken a cognitive functions test recently?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Finally, between J and P. I always get P which many associate with procrastination which I do a lot. I also avoid commitments and explore different subjects, don't like to be tied them either intelectually or emotionally. On the other hand, I have been very judgmental and impatient with people (cold robot) and feel the need to put my understanding of something to practical use, which is all J. But I don't like those kind of people generally and so I try to be more feeling like and more P like. When i explore different subjects I kind of make big leaps instead of being rigorous and detailed... i'm indisciplined in that sense, which is also P.
Sounds INTP to me.

Summing up, I feel like i'm Ti for needing to think alone, but Te for needing to discuss ideas with others for feedback.
Te doesn't want feedback, Te just wants people to submit. :burns:

mcfly2309

ok i'm an intp (lol)... i realized it from this analysis: http://personalityjunkie.com/the-intp/

incredibly spot on, especially this one:

"While INTPs will always enjoy receiving affirmation and esteem from others, a well-developed Fe looks quite different than its more infantile, ego-oriented cousin. As is true for all types, what INTPs are seeking at the deepest level is a reconciliation of their dominant and inferior functions. This can only be accomplished by becoming more aware of and working to develop and utilize their Fe. Without sufficient awareness, their Fe will tend to function mischievously, encouraging them to act in ways that defend or indulge their ego. Under the seductive influence of their inferior, INTPs invariably make irrational or otherwise unwise decisions. They marry the wrong people or choose the wrong careers, digging themselves what can seem like an inescapable hole." busted

he ties all the dualities in functions (like Fe-Ti) in this wat, which is what i was missing...

i also was helped by this threads in case anyone is in a similar situation:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/51920-shy-entps-out-there.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ental-dualism-caused-lack-p-j-preference.html

thanks for your thoughtful replies!