• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I'm confused by the relationship between cognitive functions and the four letter type

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been trying to decide upon my type for a while now, and have a few threads on the matter. In one of those threads where I was debating upon whether I was an INTP or INFP someone suggested that I decide based on what cognitive functions came naturally to me rather than MBTI tests or type descriptions...

Anyways, I am almost positive that my two most used functions are introverted feeling and extraverted intuition. This aligns with the type of INFP apparently. However, I identify very little with the common descriptions of an INFP.

Is this kind of contradiction common? Does this mean I actually am an INFP despite not identifying with the type descriptions?

I don't have a good understanding of the Myers-Briggs or whatever so clarification from someone who understands it a bit better would be appreciated.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not relating to the type descriptions is very common because: 1. They were written in relation to Myeres-Briggs dichotomy types, thus not based off of Jung's functions, and 2. They're written more like shitty stereotypes (i.e.: all INFP's are fluffy bunnies who suck at logic, INTP's are lazy genius nerds, INTJ's are virgin chessmasters, etc.).

My advice, ignore Myeres-Briggs completely, and don't over-analyze descriptions, rather just focus on what function you use.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What is it that you don't relate to in the INFP descriptions?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is it that you don't relate to in the INFP descriptions?
Pfft, when it comes to most of them I pretty much don't relate to anything... Well, it seems that way sometimes.

To be more specific, it's usually the overwhelming theme of being a caring person. I mean I'm no monster, but more often than not I am pretty indifferent to people, and I often come across as insensitive. In addition "Sees the good in everything" seems to be a recurring theme, which totally made me laugh. I'm, unfortunately, one of the most paranoid, cold, cynical people you will meet. Finally depending on how you look at it the whole "do the right thing" theme I often object to. I do what feels right for me, unfortunately, this is not always what would be considered ethical, or for that matter, even moral... Oh, and I get irritated pretty easily.

However, there is this one description that is kind of an anomaly...
http://similarminds.com/jung/infp.html
In that one there are only one or two things that I don't identify with...

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Pfft, when it comes to most of them I pretty much don't relate to anything... Well, it seems that way sometimes.

To be more specific, it's usually the overwhelming theme of being a caring person. I mean I'm no monster, but more often than not I am pretty indifferent to people, and I often come across as insensitive. In addition "Sees the good in everything" seems to be a recurring theme, which totally made me laugh. I'm, unfortunately, one of the most paranoid, cold, cynical people you will meet. Finally depending on how you look at it the whole "do the right thing" theme I often object to. I do what feels right for me, unfortunately, this is not always what would be considered ethical, or for that matter, even moral... Oh, and I get irritated pretty easily.

Maybe you're INTJ 4 (Or possibly a Ni-Fi INTJ)? I mean INTJ 4 can look very INFP-ish in some ways (I should seeing as how I mistyped myself as INFP, although it's not impossible that I am INFP).

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe you're INTJ 4 (Or possibly a Ni-Fi INTJ)? I mean INTJ 4 can look very INFP-ish in some ways (I should seeing as how I mistyped myself as INFP, although it's not impossible that I am INFP).

Now I'm even more confused...

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, I can't figure out why that got to me, even for a bit. I'm not remotely J (At least I don't think I am...), so INTJ is kind of unlikely... Not to mention the fact that introverted intuition and extraverted thinking are among my less used processes, and the fact that I never test as INTJ... I guess I'm just easily thrown... Stop messing with me! *sigh* This whole thing is getting on my nerves...

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, I can't figure out why that got to me, even for a bit. I'm not remotely J, so INTJ is kind of unlikely... Not to mention the fact that introverted intuition and extraverted thinking are among my weaker processes, and the fact that I never test as INTJ... I guess I'm just easily thrown... Stop messing with me!*sigh* This whole thing is getting on my nerves...

Don't fret too much over typing yourself, it's not really worth the intricate effort if all it does is lead to confusion and frustration. If Fi is your strongest function followed by Ne, then your INFP, regardless of what the descriptions say; just remember that like types, the descriptions themselves are completely man-made constructs, and thus aren't objectively real.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Your description looks pretty much the stereotype of INFP. By all accounts.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't fret too much over typing yourself, it's not really worth the intricate effort if all it does is lead to confusion and frustration. If Fi is your strongest function followed by Ne, then your INFP, regardless of what the descriptions say; just remember that like types, the descriptions themselves are completely man-made constructs, and thus aren't objectively real.

Well if that's how it works than I guess I am INFP seeing as how results like this are common for me.

Actually, now that I look at it, that isn't really a good example...

Fi followed by Ni? What on earth is that? According to that test I'm my own type?... Maybe I'm just too messed up to type or something... Heh-heh.

Also, thank you for the welcome. :D

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your description looks pretty much the stereotype of INFP. By all accounts.

Really? Huh, I actually didn't think so.

By the way, I know I'm posting a lot in my own thread, and I'm sorry about that (Some forums don't like it when you do that for some reason, I don't know if this is one of them.) I'm just really trying to figure this out... I had myself convinced I was an INTP for a long time, and that wasn't a fun belief to undo...

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well if that's how it works than I guess I am INFP seeing as how results like this are common for me.

Actually, now that I look at it, that isn't really a good example...

Fi followed by Ni? What on earth is that? According to that test I'm my own type?... Maybe I'm just too messed up to type or something... Whatever.

An Fi-Ni user would be either INTJ or ISFP with a weak/unused auxiliry extravert function. Although INFP for you does seem the most likely :yes: and don't worry, you'r not messed up, Typology is :dry:

Also, thank you for the welcome. :D

Sure thing, also, I like your avatar :D

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Try not to get too concerned with it. At the end of the day, it's just four letters, and really they don't say anything about you as a person, only about the person who created the system.

That being said, try considering INTJ or ISFP rather than INFP. An INTJ at a sticky or troubling place in life can look quite a bit like an IxFP, due to limited control over their emotions.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not relating to the type descriptions is very common because: 1. They were written in relation to Myeres-Briggs dichotomy types, thus not based off of Jung's functions, and 2. They're written more like shitty stereotypes (i.e.: all INFP's are fluffy bunnies who suck at logic, INTP's are lazy genius nerds, INTJ's are virgin chessmasters, etc.).

My advice, ignore Myeres-Briggs completely, and don't over-analyze descriptions, rather just focus on what function you use.

Wait. So now you are an INTJ? Haha!

I don't think the descriptions are that bad. It might take a while to figure out what you are (as it did for me). Step 2 is the best assessment IMO but it costs about $90.

I don't consider MBTI to be separate from cognitive functions at all really since that is originally what it was based on - the ordering of cognitive functions that you have. It got simplified/bastardized for the masses in later books, but the origin was with Jung's work. You can see this if you read Gifts Differing carefully.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wait. So now you are an INTJ? Haha!

Beleive it or not, I am INTJ! :D At least an Ni-Fi INTJ with tert level Te

I don't think the descriptions are that bad. It might take a while to figure out what you are (as it did for me). Step 2 is the best assessment IMO but it costs about $90.

True, some of them are fairly decent, but if the descriptions are based off of dichotomies then they're not describing how functions manifest in people (which is a crucial difference between Myeres-Briggs and JCF). Also, $90 for a personality assessment? Ick :sick:

I don't consider MBTI to be separate from cognitive functions at all really since that is originally what it was based on - the ordering of cognitive functions that you have. It got simplified/bastardized for the masses in later books, but the origin was with Jung's work. You can see this if you read Gifts Differing carefully.

In that regard, I may have to look into this 'Gifts Differing'; a Myeres-Briggs that actually resembles Jung's functions sounds intruiging to say the least.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Beleive it or not, I am INTJ! :D At least an Ni-Fi INTJ with tert level Te

True, some of them are fairly decent, but if the descriptions are based off of dichotomies then they're not describing how functions manifest in people (which is a crucial difference between Myeres-Briggs and JCF). Also, $90 for a personality assessment? Ick :sick:

In that regard, I may have to look into this 'Gifts Differing'; a Myeres-Briggs that actually resembles Jung's functions sounds intruiging to say the least.

Note the function table by Isabel Myers in the Wikipedia entry here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungian_cognitive_functions

You could be an INTJ, but to be honest, I have my doubts.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To be more specific, it's usually the overwhelming theme of being a caring person. I mean I'm no monster, but more often than not I am pretty indifferent to people, and I often come across as insensitive.

So you see people indifference and the appearance of insensitivity as contradictory to being a caring person? I can see how that would throw you off then. Those things are also pretty common for INFPs but it is more uncommon to not have at least one thing that they have a deep caring for (and it's also common for this to be a concept 'thing').

In addition "Sees the good in everything" seems to be a recurring theme, which totally made me laugh. I'm, unfortunately, one of the most paranoid, cold, cynical people you will meet.

Yeah those parts of the descriptions are just wrong :tongue: I think it's almost a requirement for INFPs to be cynics of sorts...

Finally depending on how you look at it the whole "do the right thing" theme I often object to. I do what feels right for me, unfortunately, this is not always what would be considered ethical, or for that matter, even moral... Oh, and I get irritated pretty easily.

This seems pretty Fi of you :yes: Doing the right thing doesn't always = doing what appears to be ethical

Fi followed by Ni? What on earth is that?

LOL.... the tests don't give you your function orders but sometimes they can give you clues. So, what this says is that you relate most to their description of Fi by far, and second to their description of Ni. So good chance of IxFP. But then let's check that your second most-relatable perceiving function is Ne....... and it is. Which probably means I can use the simple explanation of...your I preference is strong enough that you don't relate strongly to any E function.

In other words, your results are very typical of INFP. And I haven't seen anything at all to contradict that yet, so that it is what I am voting until I change my mind again ;)

An Fi-Ni user would be either INTJ or ISFP with a weak/unused auxiliry extravert function.

This brings up a good question: does anyone past the age of 16 truly have a very weak or unused aux. function?