• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me type MY FAMILEEEE! :D

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
I know it's more difficult to type somebody when they're not around and without their own input course...not to mention the fact that it entails talking about him behind their backs, which in some circles might be considered rude, crude, vulgar and socially objectionable! (Especially as my OWN type isn't even set in stone yet...)

...But then again that just makes it extra fun on BOTH counts as well now doesn't it, hehe ;D

SO, based on these descriptions would anyone like to take a stab at what my dearly beloved familia might be??

Alright, let's be genteel about things and start with my mother: the best adjectives to describe my mother might be hyper and hyperemotional! She's DEEPLY compassionate, sensitive, has difficulty letting go of even small things and never under any circumstances treats anyone with cold detachment. Everything is seen and done based on feelings. Yet at the same time, she's the ultimate nonconformist and iconoclast, marching only and ever to the beat of her own drum. She is spontaneous and comes up with ideas very quickly, likes to be all over the place at once trying new things and detests routine, but is indecisive and often doesn't follow-through. Perhaps my greatest challenge in assessing her comes with the intraversion/extraversion paradigm: she is a self-described loner, likes to keep to herself and doesn't enjoy being in social circles; after being in public she needs alone time to 'recharge' - like an introvert. But at the same time, when she IS in public she is extremely expressive, blunt, loud and open, with no interest in internalizing her thoughts or emotions or keeping anything to herself - which sounds rather more like extraversion territory.

Okay, now on to the OTHER parental unit: my father. He is basically...well, the opposite of my mother. Mellow, conservative, a follower of tradition who while stubbornly set in his ways and fond of systematizing and order doesn't enjoy heated argument and shies away from crowds. Not an outside-the-box thinker, he'll 'go with the flow', takes things slowly, and prefers routine to novelty, peace and security to adventure.

And finally...my fellow progeny: the bro. My brother definitely likes to keep to himself, is shy and prefers reading alone to being with crowds; not a partyer. But, he finds a release from this through his love of acting. He is a creature of routine and repetition, doesn't like to try things that deviate from his 'comfort zone' of the norm. He likes to keep his inner thoughts private, and comes off as reserved and unaffectionate...yet when you know him better, while still uncomfortable expressing affection, he is deeply sensitive and has a very caring heart, doesn't want people to be hurt. Around those he knows and feels comfortable with, he tends to be very talkative and hyperactive, in contrast to his quiet and somewhat formal nature in public.

So, whaddaya all think? Quite a diverse bunch, aren't they? (All wonderful people though, of course!)

Anything else you need to know about them to make an assessment??

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Hey, thanks so much for the suggestions there Aphrodite! The all sound very good - I totally agree on dear pappa, he seems like ISTJ material all the way. For my brother though - if he's the more imaginative/creative type as well, might that place him more in intuitive than sensing territory?

If my mother seems to have qualities of both introversion and extroversion though, wouldn't ENFP possibly be more likely? That is, isn't it more characteristic for ENFPs to express a need for alone time than for INFPs to be outgoing and open, since INFPs are often known as the MOST introverted of introverts?

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
EEP! I know it's been awhile since I've looked at this thread...forgive meeeeee!

I totally agree with - well, everyone! - on my pappa being a bona fide ISTJ. I'll have to think about my brother; he likes to stick to routines and doesn't like change or experineces that differ dramatically from what he's used to or are outside his 'comfort zone'...which strikes me as in keeping with the Si-dominant's preference for concrete and experience-based thinking. But then again, he's one for outside-the-box ideas too - he just tends to keep them to himself, which seems more like INFJ.

As for my mother, I agree with y'all on the _NFP part; I briefly considered _SFP, but again, outside-the-box ideas, general unconventionality, and overall tending to try to see 'beneath' everything for what's implied rather than obvious seems more like intuitive than sensing territory.

Since she is at once open and blunt, yet also prefers her own company, I asked her for HER opinion on whether she thinks she'd be an extrovert or introvert. She said:

"I think I'm an extrovert, I just wear my heart on my sleeve so it's hard to give so much of myself and not feel exhausted. So as I have aged I have learned to give but not all of my energy. And I have introverted days as I do extroverted - fine with both and can do both outwardly, and inwardly I am comfortable with my own company as well as the satisfaction of a crowd! And I feel my neglected childhood made me somewhat more inhibited than I want to be...so I am a freak for those personality choices!!"

Does her way of explaining it maybe happen to sound more like an ENFP or INFP than the other??

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I totally agree with - well, everyone! - on my pappa being a bona fide INTJ.

Just based on your take on him he seems like some sort of ISJ...

I'll have to think about my brother; he likes to stick to routines and doesn't like change or experineces that differ dramatically from what he's used to or are outside his 'comfort zone'...which strikes me as in keeping with the Si-dominant's preference for concrete and experience-based thinking. But then again, he's one for outside-the-box ideas too - he just tends to keep them to himself, which seems more like INFJ.

I'm almost seeing INFP for your brother, but INxJ could also work. Is he a younger or older bro?

As for my mother, I agree with y'all on the _NFP part; I briefly considered _SFP, but again, outside-the-box ideas, general unconventionality, and overall tending to try to see 'beneath' everything for what's implied rather than obvious seems more like intuitive than sensing territory.

Since she is at once open and blunt, yet also prefers her own company, I asked her for HER opinion on whether she thinks she'd be an extrovert or introvert. She said:

"I think I'm an extrovert, I just wear my heart on my sleeve so it's hard to give so much of myself and not feel exhausted. So as I have aged I have learned to give but not all of my energy. And I have introverted days as I do extroverted - fine with both and can do both outwardly, and inwardly I am comfortable with my own company as well as the satisfaction of a crowd! And I feel my neglected childhood made me somewhat more inhibited than I want to be...so I am a freak for those personality choices!!"

Does her way of explaining it maybe happen to sound more like an ENFP or INFP than the other??

This does look like ENFP territory. I did think she could be xSFP at first but the way she talks about herself tips me towards N. Perhaps she is ambiverted but I do see an E lean in how she's had to learn to keep some energy to herself.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your mother is definitely an ENFP (exploring new ideas and dislike of routine = dominant Ne and inferior Si). Enneagram wise she seems to have a 7 fix, and 2 fix.

Your bother and dad both seem Si dominant, ISTJ or ISFJ could work for either of them. Your dad seems to have a 9 fix and 6 fix, not too sure on your bro though.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Yeah, definitely ISTJ for pappa - no real ambiguity there! He's just boring enough ;D (I say it with LOVE...) While he likes routine and things to stay as they are, my brother marches to the beat of his own drum, doesn't seem to try to align himself to outside custom or expectation. That seems to argue more for P - I don't think every routine-monger is a J, right? So what makes you think INFP rather than INTP for my brother? And why do you all see my mother as more ENFP than ESFP? She's creative and imaginative, but many artists are sensor-types too.

ChrisC99

MBTI Type
ADHD
Haha, thanks! Hey, I was busy OKAY!! :p (And had a guuurrrlfriend :3)

KatharineML

MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Initial assessment:

Mum - ENFP (very sensitive and hyper aware of people - and everything else - so needs alone time as gets overwhelmed with this, however also, bizarrely, outspoken and emotionally expressive to the point of being insensitive when in company)

Dad - ISTJ (set in their ways, loves systematising, order, safety, not at all over-emotional or hyper - the exact opposite of ENFP!)

Brother - INFJ (serious, shy, loves routine and repetition, yet this masks a deep and much more enthusiastic inner self which comes out with those he feels comfortable with)

Nicki

Retired
Your mom's an ENFP and your dad is an ISTJ, no clue about your brother. Definitely an IxxJ though