• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please help type me!!!

What type am I?

• Total voters

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Hello TypeC-ers! I need your help! Please help type me.

When I joined this forum I thought I was an ISFJ. Then I tried on ISTJ, ESFP, and finally ISFP. Well, each time I changed type I unintentionally changed my behaviour and posting habits to match. This is a problem because when people try to type me by my past posts, they see posts that were already crafted to fit a certain type. This leads them to think I am that type, when really it was just some unintentional "acting"

I think even my recent mentions of Fi are hollow -- I've been posting things that don't really relate to me... I post them just because they "seem" ISFP-ish.

So for this thread, please set aside my past posts as much as possible...

------

I'm going to post about the way I regularly think (cognitive patterns) without using JCF or MBTI terms. I hope you guys can tell me if it fits a functional order.

Debates energize me. Even more so if I learn something.
Conflict, disagreement, etc. are fine. I don't need harmony/ people getting along.

I generally don't speak in absolutes (e.g. "never"/"always"). Even if I haven't seen an exception to the absolute, I'm open to the possibility that one exists. So I leave room for the exception in my speech/writing to be more precise and/or accurate.
(Of course there's probably an exception to the rule that "all rules have exceptions"! lol)

I also account for things I can't imagine. A friend once made me promise that I would never do a certain thing, and I said I couldn't promise that, because I can't imagine all possible situations. e.g. there might be torture more painful than what I could imagine.
Kind of like this: http://xkcd.com/883/ -- I can imagine well enough that I imagine there are many horrible things I can't begin to imagine (kind of like: "I know enough to know how little I know", except with imagination)

I perceive the pattern more than the instance. For example, I'll understand something as happening "all the time", but when asked to point to a specific instance, I won't be able to remember one.

I love problem-solving. I see potential improvements everywhere, even when things are supposedly "fine". I am most myself when in the process of improving something... without that challenge, it's no fun, and I seek out a new problem.

BUT I really don't like the pseudo-"problem-solving" in my university courses... I don't like to do the same boring calculation over and over again with different numbers! That's not really problem-solving. To me, problem-solving does not involve a formula or a set method. I seldom know how I'm going to solve a problem until the solution jumps into my brain (comes out of nowhere, seemingly) while I'm doing something else.

As [MENTION=10530]guesswho[/MENTION] says here:
Looking at the possible outcomes worries me, because I think of the 0.0001% negative possibility, and I experience it kind of weird. Even though it is low, I don't feel it low, I feel it as a 10% 20% 50% 100%
I agree completely with that whole post.

----

Well, I tried to be concise so that people might actually read it. I'm usually pretty verbose.

Thanks in advance for your input!

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Emotions/Feelings

Interpersonal

I'm emotionally distant. I don't have, need, or want emotionally close relationships. I don't even usually "like" people as people, I just use them for intellectual stimulation. Perhaps if they are really interesting/good conversationalists then over time I could become attached.

Even in these cases I don't think I feel all that strongly towards them -- there is little emotional connection. But I think it is possible to have a good intellectual/mental connection and get "close" based on that.

I don't need or want to share emotions with them outwardly. I don't want to talk about "feelings". I mostly only tolerate other people talking about their feelings if it's an interesting problem to solve, i.e. if the feelings have an interesting cause. I'm not good at comforting crying/upset people.

My best interpersonal skills are in manipulating people and getting them to do what I want/need them to do.

Intrapersonal

I'm not usually aware of what I'm feeling. Like right now, I have no idea. I'm easily excitable and generally optimistic though. I think (for me) negative emotions are like noise/ useless data -- but they can alert me to a problem, which I can then investigate "analytically".

I used to think this "red flag => analysis" tendency was Fi, but now I'm not so sure.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
E/I and Planning

E/I

All my life I believed I was introverted. But I don't think I am or ever was. I get drained from being alone, like I am right now. After a day of talking to some acquaintences I feel energized, but I lose the energy after a few days of limited interaction. And even when I'm alone I'm still interacting through phone calls, video calls, instant messenger, and (of course) forums. and so on.

I also need a shit ton of data input to be energized -- I tend to read everything I find even remotely interesting. And then I don't really remember each thing I read for itself; I tend to focus more on how it relates to other things, i.e. I focus more on inter-topic synthesis. I'm not consciously trying to focus on that, it just happens.

I can't seem to think without writing/talking. Feedback from other people helps me develop ideas/solutions SO much better... I prefer to brainstorm aloud and collaborate.

Planning

I'll tell you how I plan and maybe you could tell me if it points to a Je/Pi set or a Ji/Pe set? :)

Well... the extent of my planning is very general. Right now I have a few ideas for things I could do in the long term -- there used to be a lot more ideas but I narrowed them down. Then I made a plan to progress without closing any doors, by looking at future steps down several roads, but not all the way down any one road. I know I'll ultimately have to choose one option when the roads diverge too far.

I also think up a lot of projects, take them all on because they are all so exciting lol, and then leave them unfinished... I don't seem to have very good judgment in deciding which projects are the most worthwhile.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This sounds way too much like you are describing me..........

I'm not seeing any of the information you have given matching your previous typings in the slightest. All the test results I've seen from you match xNTP. You keep throwing me off with your other typings of yourself, but it's practically like you're shouting at me every time "I prefer Ne and Ti and the rest of the functions can go take a hike!" The section on E/I seems to indicate ENTP, while the extent to which you are dedicated to problem solving and this problem in particular without casually talking to us much yet could indicate INTP ;) (but then I did my fair bit of that too so....... in fact, I'm only fully comfortable telling you what I think now that I'm pretty much done with all that, lol)

Of course I could be biased here because this sounds so ridiculously like how I operate. I think I need to see more conversations with you and the other members just to be sure...

I also wonder..... have you even suspected that you could be xNTP? It's just.... odd, if you haven't suspected it before. Like, when I first took the quizzies I would've totally suspected ENTP a lot more if I knew I could get away with it and still be quiet a lot of the time ;)

What did you suspect when you started out with this? Sometimes the first impressions we get before shredding this stuff into dust can be revealing in itself...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yeah, I read what he said in another thread, and my first thought was INTP.

With what he said about extroversion/introversion: ENTP seemed a possibility.

I was likewise thrown off by all his other typings: they didn't seem to make any sense.

The other problem is that I don't know if I can trust him, since he's already pretended to be so many different types.

How do we know he's not just pretending to be an ENTP or INTP without straight up coming out and saying so?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
This sounds way too much like you are describing me..........

I'm not seeing any of the information you have given matching your previous typings in the slightest. All the test results I've seen from you match xNTP. You keep throwing me off with your other typings of yourself, but it's practically like you're shouting at me every time "I prefer Ne and Ti and the rest of the functions can go take a hike!" The section on E/I seems to indicate ENTP, while the extent to which you are dedicated to problem solving and this problem in particular without casually talking to us much yet could indicate INTP ;) (but then I did my fair bit of that too so....... in fact, I'm only fully comfortable telling you what I think now that I'm pretty much done with all that, lol)

When I take cog function tests I usually come out high on Ne, Se, Fi, Ti, and/or Te. It's really erratic. I've only posted a few results on this forum but I take that test about once a month, probably. Dichotomous tests are even worse, lol, I think I have tested as every type at least once!

In one of my past type-me threads there were quite a few reputable members, who know their stuff, typing me as INFP and ISFP. So I can't say Ne/Ti are that clear...

Of course I could be biased here because this sounds so ridiculously like how I operate. I think I need to see more conversations with you and the other members just to be sure...

I also wonder..... have you even suspected that you could be xNTP? It's just.... odd, if you haven't suspected it before. Like, when I first took the quizzies I would've totally suspected ENTP a lot more if I knew I could get away with it and still be quiet a lot of the time ;)

I have considered xNTP just like every other type ;). I couldn't see myself as an NT, so I dismissed it. Perhaps out of ignorance.

What did you suspect when you started out with this? Sometimes the first impressions we get before shredding this stuff into dust can be revealing in itself...

First impression was probably ISTJ. I tested that on the first online test I took -- don't remember which one it was. I thought it fit because I was going off stereotypes for each letter. I thought something like, "I fits because I spend a lot of time on the internet, which is an introvert thing. S fits because I'm taking hands-on lab courses. [Never mind that I don't actually LIKE them.] T fits because I don't have much idea of right and wrong. J fits because I plan and I get places on time." (second impression: ISFJ after I convinced myself I needed emotional connections and I thought that was Fe)

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Yeah, I read what he said in another thread, and my first thought was INTP.

With what he said about extroversion/introversion: ENTP seemed a possibility.

I was likewise thrown off by all his other typings: they didn't seem to make any sense.

The other problem is that I don't know if I can trust him, since he's already pretended to be so many different types.

How do we know he's not just pretending to be an ENTP or INTP without straight up coming out and saying so?

I was never pretending on purpose. I just found myself changing my behaviour to match my type hypotheses... and that included my posting habits. I noticed this when I left the forum for 4-5 months and found that my RL behaviour changed based on what type I thought I was. Before I left, I had no personality, I was just hollow and took whatever mold I was given/ gave myself. I think I've fixed that...

I'm not pretending now -- not even unintentionally. In fact that was part of my motivation for starting this thread. Before posting each time I go through and double check the whole post, literally every word going, "Is this really true? Does it make sense? Does it apply to me?" etc. And from now on I'll do that with every post I make (like the one you repped -- that one was checked for accuracy too).

I still have problems differentiating between Se and Ne, so I'm definitely considering all 4 TP (toilet paper! ;)) types.

Also, not a problem but I'm a "she". ;)

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Something else that made me suspect ISTJ:

In a thread I read when I was first learning about type, someone said that Si/Te people tended to like statistics. I like stats... even simple things like normal distributions, overall trends, etc. I don't like the data itself necessarily, it's all meaningless to me without a trend. I'm also very visual so graphs help me understand/interpret the data, and in the end interpretation is what I'm going for. Not the numbers themselves.

In this way I tend to like stats -- and back then I read a post where someone said it was an STJ thing... which further convinced me I was (I)STJ.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
[MENTION=1239]Catbert[/MENTION] : I see you voted for ESTJ; I don't want to ignore your input outright, but do you mind explaining your rationale for thinking I'm ESTJ? Would be much appreciated.

[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION] : You voted ISTP; I'm hoping you could explain the reasoning that lead you to that conclusion. Thanks in advance.

@ everyone : Can someone plz post so I'm not talking to myself in here?! lol ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Lol, why such a nick?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Lol, why such a nick?

hah well... I'm a chem major and one of our professors talked once about how the phrase "all natural" is used to sell things even though it doesn't hold much meaning. His example was that strychnine is "all natural", but it's not too good for you heh. Even before that lecture I thought the false dichotomy between natural and unnatural was ridiculous. So now every time I think of strychnine I think of the false dichotomy that so many people seem to advocate for -- and that you could conclude from their beliefs that they should eat strychnine. :wink:

(btw thanks for visiting my thread lolol)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was never pretending on purpose. I just found myself changing my behaviour to match my type hypotheses... and that included my posting habits. I noticed this when I left the forum for 4-5 months and found that my RL behaviour changed based on what type I thought I was. Before I left, I had no personality, I was just hollow and took whatever mold I was given/ gave myself. I think I've fixed that...

You are whatever MBTI type you are at the moment.

I went through a process of ever-changing personalities when I was a lot younger. Psychiatrists call this (please don't laugh) a "plastic personality" (as you wrote, "I was just hollow and took whatever mold I was given/ gave myself"). By "plastic" they mean "capable of being molded or of receiving form." After that point, my personality became more set in stone, but it still continued to change.

It's interesting to see someone else going through the same process.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a further note, the only reason I consider myself an "INTP" (the N is really S/N according to tests) and a "5w4" is because I identified with them, thus altering the way I see myself and even changing my thought-patterns and behavior. Even the way I felt about myself changed after reading typology books.

The "self" is an illusion generated by its identification with patterns of behavior. But without that illusion, a person would be, as you described it, hollow.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
You are whatever MBTI type you are at the moment.

I went through a process of ever-changing personalities when I was a lot younger. Psychiatrists call this (please don't laugh) a "plastic personality" (as you wrote, "I was just hollow and took whatever mold I was given/ gave myself"). By "plastic" they mean "capable of being molded or of receiving form." After that point, my personality became more set in stone, but it still continued to change.

It's interesting to see someone else going through the same process.

Looking at the moment and disregarding most of the past makes me more sure of xxTP.

That's interesting. I think I was "plastic" a few months ago, but now it seems more solid but as you say, continues to change.

As a further note, the only reason I consider myself an "INTP" (the N is really S/N according to tests) and a "5w4" is because I identified with them, thus altering the way I see myself and even changing my thought-patterns and behavior. Even the way I felt about myself changed after reading typology books.

The "self" is an illusion generated by its identification with patterns of behavior. But without that illusion, a person would be, as you described it, hollow.

Well yeah, I can't observe my own thought patterns without changing them.

I find it interesting that what I perceived as growth -- going from a "hollow" self to a current more solid one -- could actually be going deeper into the illusion!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=13260]Rasofy[/MENTION] : You voted ISTP; I'm hoping you could explain the reasoning that lead you to that conclusion. Thanks in advance.
Wow, how did you find out? :blink:
The first post seemed ISTP, but the second post confused me, since manipulation skills aren't supposed to be their strength. Care to explain why and how you manipulate people?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Looking at the moment and disregarding most of the past makes me more sure of xxTP.

That's interesting. I think I was "plastic" a few months ago, but now it seems more solid but as you say, continues to change.

Well yeah, I can't observe my own thought patterns without changing them.

I find it interesting that what I perceived as growth -- going from a "hollow" self to a current more solid one -- could actually be going deeper into the illusion!

It's a necessary illusion. But I didn't identify myself with your statement about being hollow. The Enneagram has three shell types - 3, 6, and 9 - so I'm thinking your e-type is one of those.

My old friend "D", who is a 6 (and a lot 9), once revealed to me that whenever he sees anybody walking down the street he wants to suck all the thoughts out of their heads.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
It's a necessary illusion. But I didn't identify myself with your statement about being hollow. The Enneagram has three shell types - 3, 6, and 9 - so I'm thinking your e-type is one of those.

My old friend "D", who is a 6 (and a lot 9), once revealed to me that whenever he sees anybody walking down the street he wants to suck all the thoughts out of their heads.

I went through a period of hollowness -- but it was a general absence of everything, really. I also had no goals. I have goals now and I am also not hollow now. So I don't think hollowness is my default...when I think back to a year ago I wasn't hollow. It was just a few months. I would call that time "depression" except that wasn't it, it was more like an absence of everything.

"he wants to suck all the thoughts out of their heads"

o_O what does that even mean?

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Wow, how did you find out? :blink:
The first post seemed ISTP, but the second post confused me, since manipulation skills aren't supposed to be their strength. Care to explain why and how you manipulate people?

The poll's public...

Sure. Pretty much I try to "massage" people and situations to get what I want. Maneuvering. Example: some people will only work with you if they think they're behind the idea. If I suspect I'm talking to one of these people, and I need them to work with me, I sell my idea in a manner that makes them think it's theirs. If they suggest "improvements" that aren't harmful then I say, hey that's a great idea! We can do that as well! and the person thinks they came up with the idea.

As for why? Mostly if I need someone in authority to work with me, I need a favour, etc.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Now I'm thinking ESTP 3w2, with developed Fe.

Ti
I also account for things I can't imagine. A friend once made me promise that I would never do a certain thing, and I said I couldn't promise that, because I can't imagine all possible situations. e.g. there might be torture more painful than what I could imagine.
Kind of like this: http://xkcd.com/883/ -- I can imagine well enough that I imagine there are many horrible things I can't begin to imagine (kind of like: "I know enough to know how little I know", except with imagination)

Fe
Sure. Pretty much I try to "massage" people and situations to get what I want. Maneuvering. Example: some people will only work with you if they think they're behind the idea. If I suspect I'm talking to one of these people, and I need them to work with me, I sell my idea in a manner that makes them think it's theirs. If they suggest "improvements" that aren't harmful then I say, hey that's a great idea! We can do that as well! and the person thinks they came up with the idea.

As for why? Mostly if I need someone in authority to work with me, I need a favour, etc.

Se/Ni (Si would put more importance into raw data, instead of patterns)
I perceive the pattern more than the instance. For example, I'll understand something as happening "all the time", but when asked to point to a specific instance, I won't be able to remember one.