• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curious Again

Silveresque

I've done a lot of research trying to determine whether my dominant function is Ti or Fi. In the end, I decided that I'm more likely INTP, although it seems there's still the possibility that I could actually be an INFP.

As you can see in my signature, my function order shows an equal chance of either type, but something I find interesting is that when I take MBTI tests where the questions pit Fi against Te and Ti against Fe, I've noticed that Fi comes out much higher than Ti because Fi is more strongly preferred over Te than Ti over Fe. What does this indicate? Could it indicate that I'm really Te inferior rather than Fe inferior? Or could this be natural considering that Te in an INTP would be a shadow function, thus perhaps weaker than the inferior?

In some ways Te would make a lot of sense as my inferior, since I really can't stand all the detail-oriented planning and directing aspects of it. And although Fe is supposedly my inferior function, I still haven't figured out how it manifests in me. I'm extremely agreeable, and I also consider myself a caring and empathetic person, so what if the only thing that makes my Fe so low is my introversion?

Well, that said, I can't ignore the fact that I probably sound very INTP. I'm not trying to sound this way, this is just how it naturally comes out--I actually had to go back and change my wording because it sounded like I was writing a scientific essay. Another thing is that the fact that I'm analyzing this so thoroughly probably also indicates INTP. On the other hand, I already know that I have very strong Ti and Fi, and I seem to use both functions, often together. I wrote in another thread that I seem to experience Fi-Ti-Si loops.

So...what type does everyone think I am? Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. And please don't just say I'm an INFP because of my enneatype.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've done a lot of research trying to determine whether my dominant function is Ti or Fi. In the end, I decided that I'm more likely INTP, although it seems there's still the possibility that I could actually be an INFP.

As you can see in my signature, my function order shows an equal chance of either type, but something I find interesting is that when I take MBTI tests where the questions pit Fi against Te and Ti against Fe, I've noticed that Fi comes out much higher than Ti because Fi is more strongly preferred over Te than Ti over Fe. What does this indicate? Could it indicate that I'm really Te inferior rather than Fe inferior? Or could this be natural considering that Te in an INTP would be a shadow function, thus perhaps weaker than the inferior?

In some ways Te would make a lot of sense as my inferior, since I really can't stand all the detail-oriented planning and directing aspects of it. And although Fe is supposedly my inferior function, I still haven't figured out how it manifests in me. I'm extremely agreeable, and I also consider myself a caring and empathetic person, so what if the only thing that makes my Fe so low is my introversion?

Well, that said, I can't ignore the fact that I probably sound very INTP. I'm not trying to sound this way, this is just how it naturally comes out--I actually had to go back and change my wording because it sounded like I was writing a scientific essay. Another thing is that the fact that I'm analyzing this so thoroughly probably also indicates INTP. On the other hand, I already know that I have very strong Ti and Fi, and I seem to use both functions, often together. I wrote in another thread that I seem to experience Fi-Ti-Si loops.

So...what type does everyone think I am? Please feel free to ask questions and make suggestions. And please don't just say I'm an INFP because of my enneatype.

I've always assumed you were a pleasant INTP, actually. I don't even think I ever looked. I don't have much two cents to add beyond that. Most INTP's that I see are fairly cool, calm and collected- not particularly empathic but not uncaring either- usually very willing to listen and have some good advice to offer- INFP's seem to get more caught up in human aspect of things, a bit more empathic, less rational but appear more out of the box with their imagination. You may feel a little "F" because of that 4 in your enneagram. I've also seen people where I just can't tell.

Silveresque

I've always assumed you were a pleasant INTP, actually. I don't even think I ever looked. I don't have much two cents to add beyond that. Most INTP's that I see are fairly cool, calm and collected- not particularly empathic but not uncaring either- usually very willing to listen and have some good advice to offer- INFP's seem to get more caught up in human aspect of things, a bit more empathic, less rational but appear more out of the box with their imagination. You may feel a little "F" because of that 4 in your enneagram. I've also seen people where I just can't tell.

What makes it hard for me to tell is that I have both sides--the rational and the empathic, but I don't know which is more natural for me. In general, my Ti is in charge and makes most decisions, but there are times when Fi can override Ti. Or is it the other way around? :shrug: In any case, I'm not typical of either type.

G

Glycerine

I always thought more on the INFP side to be honest. I find it hard to believe one both prefers Ti and Fi near the same amount... I would think they would conflict. INTPs aren't necessarily logical and INFPs aren't necessarily empathetic healer types. How'd you get the function order?

I think Jonnyboy is a 4w5 INTP also. :)
Regardless, if you think INTP, go with it!

Silveresque

I always thought more on the INFP side to be honest. I find it hard to believe one both prefers Ti and Fi near the same amount... I would think they would conflict. INTPs aren't necessarily logical and INFPs aren't necessarily empathetic healer types. How'd you get the function order?

I took several cognitive function tests and determined that this is the most likely order. Here are my most recent results from the Keys2Cognition test:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ***** (5.7)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************************************** (41.1)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.2)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************ (12.2)
unused
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************** (22.6)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************************** (47.9)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************** (23.7)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************************** (47)
excellent use

I think Jonnyboy is a 4w5 INTP also. :)
Regardless, if you think INTP, go with it!

Cool, I didn't know there were any others on TC.

G

Glycerine

Just to let you know. I just took the test and got:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******** (8.9)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.5)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.3)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************************** (40.5)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************** (35.2)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************** (28.3)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************** (18.9)
limited use

I am pretty sure the XNTJs would go "wtf" if I seriously asserted that I was XNTJ. The test is a good starting part but I doubt is very reliable to tell you what the function order is.
[MENTION=14216]RevlisZero[/MENTION]

Silveresque

Just to let you know. I just took the test and got:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******** (8.9)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************************* (33.5)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************************** (35.2)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************************** (39.3)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************************** (40.5)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) *********************************** (35.2)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) **************************** (28.3)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ****************** (18.9)
limited use

I am pretty sure the XNTJs would go "wtf" if I seriously asserted that I was XNTJ. The test is a good starting part but I doubt is very reliable to tell you what the function order is.
[MENTION=14216]RevlisZero[/MENTION]

I don't find your results too unusual. Perhaps you have a weak J preference. Your results would fit for both NTJ and NTP, though slightly better for NTJ. Anyways, I agree that the function tests aren't perfect, which is why I'm not relying on that alone. However, considering my weak T preference, the results I got are actually quite accurate.

G

Glycerine

I don't find your results too unusual. Perhaps you have a weak J preference. Your results would fit for both NTJ and NTP, though slightly better for NTJ. Anyways, I agree that the function tests aren't perfect, which is why I'm not relying on that alone. However, considering my weak T preference, the results I got are actually quite accurate.
The thing is I am ENFJ but I understand what you are getting at. Do you think your INTP then? Do you relate to Jonnyboy (4w5), talullah or jennifer (both seem like f/t balanced INTP)? or do you relate more to udog, orangeappled, scottndenver (more t/f balanced INFPs)?

Silveresque

The thing is I am ENFJ but I understand what you are getting at.

Oh, really? Okay, now I see what you meant. :laugh:

Do you think your INTP then? Do you relate to Jonnyboy (4w5), talullah or jennifer (both seem like f/t balanced INTP)? or do you relate more to udog, orangeappled, scottndenver (more t/f balanced INFPs)?

Overall, I do seem more INTP. Unfortunately, I haven't really been here long enough to tell how well I relate to other members. In general, however, I feel like I relate more to people who share my enneatype than to people who share my mbti type, and since 4's are usually INFP's, that means I relate more to INFP's. Though I'm not sure if the same would be true in real life.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
To be honest, you've always seemed INFP to me. :) Perhaps it's because that's what you typed yourself when I first came on this forum.
You come across as one who puts a lot emphasis on finding your place within the MBTI system...and seem to sway in your thoughts pretty frequently depending on someone's else's post/definition, etc.
As someone who think I'm a Ti+Fe, I'm also interested in finding my place...but only because it's fascinating. I can look at the whole typing system objectively as a sort of game. I don't have that desire to choose any one type, partly because I don't even take personality typing systems that seriously anyway. Actually, I'd be more than happy (and more relaxed!) to not settle on any type, whereas you seem very personally intent on this little identity mission.

Well, that's the way I see it.
Perhaps the stuff I wrote up there is a load of baloney. *shrug* What's your take on it?

Silveresque

To be honest, you've always seemed INFP to me. :) Perhaps it's because that's what you typed yourself when I first came on this forum.
You come across as one who puts a lot emphasis on finding your place within the MBTI system...and seem to sway in your thoughts pretty frequently depending on someone's else's post/definition, etc.
As someone who think I'm a Ti+Fe, I'm also interested in finding my place...but only because it's fascinating. I can look at the whole typing system objectively as a sort of game. I don't have that desire to choose any one type, partly because I don't even take personality typing systems that seriously anyway. Actually, I'd be more than happy (and more relaxed!) to not settle on any type, whereas you seem very personally intent on this little identity mission.

Well, that's the way I see it.
Perhaps the stuff I wrote up there is a load of baloney. *shrug* What's your take on it?

I don't know. I always thought my desire to know my type by thoroughly analyzing all possibilities was more of a Ti-Ne thing. Or at least, I seem to Ti-analyze each new bit of information as it comes. Personally, I want to be an INTP 4w5 (so I can be unique), but I value the truth more, so I try to remain objective about it. I think my fascination with finding my true type has to do with my enneatype, but the way I go about it is INTP.

Furthermore, I seem to be more detached in general than I would think an INFP would be. Can INFP's be detached? I don't know. :shrug:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
A few thoughts:

* Someone mentioned Jonnyboy as an INTP 4w5... I second the suggestion to talk to him, but, IMHO, you come across as a bit different from him in style. Then again, I haven't interacted much with the guy, so take that with a grain of salt. :thinking:

* Yes, INFPs can be detached; quite a few INFPs are 5w4s, in fact. :yes:

* How sure are you of 4w5? I mean, an INFP 5w4 or an INTP 6w5 could look similar to these types, I reckon...

Yeah, I'm a lousy typer. Sorry I couldn't help much beyond that... :doh:

Silveresque

* Someone mentioned Jonnyboy as an INTP 4w5... I second the suggestion to talk to him, but, IMHO, you come across as a bit different from him in style. Then again, I haven't interacted much with the guy, so take that with a grain of salt. :thinking:

I haven't seen many of his posts yet so I wouldn't know about his style, but I may try talking to him. Thanks for the advice!

* How sure are you of 4w5? I mean, an INFP 5w4 or an INTP 6w5 could look similar to these types, I reckon...

I'm 99% positive about my enneatype (basically, as positive as I get). If I'm mistyped, it's my MBTI type that's wrong, though I get where you're coming from.

Yeah, I'm a lousy typer. Sorry I couldn't help much beyond that... :doh:

I don't think you're a lousy typer at all. :hug: