• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any insight is appreciated.

neovincci

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
9w8
My M-B type has been on my mind for several weeks now, probably because I’m always using the system to better relate to others. I’ve been increasingly bothered that I do not know with certainty my type, and I’m hoping that the insight here will help me find closure.

One reason I feel it has been difficult for me to settle on a type is that I’m exceedingly self-aware, and change my traits and behaviour depending on which individual or which group I’m interacting with(in). I’ve justified this before as “giving people what I perceive they need from me”. But now, I think I’ve begun to see this as mostly good but borderline duplicitous, and want to start living authentically in whatever type I am now. I’ve been acting like an XXXX, but of course I’m not, and I’ve confused myself so much, I’ve come closest to truth by determining which masks I enjoy wearing and which I don’t.

While I am unsure about my MBTI, I am very sure about my Enneagram 9w8 sx/sp.
I’ve also tested my cognitive functions: Ni>Fi>Se>Fe>Te>Ne>Ti>Si
Another new test gave me: N-17 , T-8 , S-6, F-6

All the tests I’ve taken point to ENFJ, ENTJ, INFJ, or INTJ.

I don’t fit any of them perfectly. XNTJs are stereotyped as being unsympathetic and driven. XNFJs are stereotyped as being self-sacrificing to a fault and conflict avoiding. I’m a pretty even balance of both, intuiting when and how I should act in a situation according to my inner values and sensing of limitations.

Arguments for and against each type (based on stereotypes):

ENFJ+: I love helping people and groups reach their potential and solving relational issues. When I like or care for someone, I can be very self-sacrificing. I like to be someone everyone knows and respects.

ENFJ--: I have little patience with those who are slow to grow emotionally/intellectually when I think they are capable of more. Moreover, I love conflict situations. I think that’s when people’s true colours emerge. I’d like to be a diplomat for this reason. I’m not an idealist when it comes to people, and think that they’re generally selfish and naïve.

ENTJ+: I do well when in charge. People seem to trust my plan and respect the role I give them in implementing it. I’m really argumentative (although I usually don’t initiate), but once I know the depth of someone’s ignorance, I find it hard to let go. I don’t try to hurt feelings in decision making, but am perfectly fine if it happens (although I may pretend to care more than I do).

ENTJ--: I’m not one to seize power, but I won't reject it either. I would rather be the true leader/manipulator without the title or the spotlight.

INFJ+: I can recognise the essence of a person, animal, situation almost immediately. I can walk into rooms and feel the emotions of others floating in the air. I know how people genuinely feel, no matter what they tell me, yet I’m private with my emotions.

INFJ--: I’m not that nice. I’m not a worrier. I like conflict. I’m willing to deem some people hopeless or not worth my time and move on.

INTJ+: While I can’t control my emotions, I’m great at controlling their expression. My brother said that he gets the sense that I repressed negative emotions as a child and always appeared happy, but that he sensed otherwise. While my behaviour would point to me being an extrovert, I prefer only having a few close friends at a time, and being on a friendly basis with everyone else. I’ve always loved school and learning, and I’m good at anything involving strategy. I have a high chess rating and love any strategy games. I hate games or activities that involve too much chance and not enough skill or smarts. I get bogged down and annoyed with too many details, and prefer people tell me what I need to know and craft their language when talking to me. I’m angered by those who are not willing to question their beliefs/assumptions or slow to make necessary choices. I hate when people tell me to do something based on their authority or preferences when I don’t see it as being useful or necessary. I hate when someone repeats themself to me or asks me to repeat something to them too many times. I'd rather someone criticise my character than my competence. I don’t like teaching/telling anything more than once. I also don’t like clingy people. I prefer not to touch anyone.

INTJ--: I'm pretty sure I like people, although sometimes I can literally feel myself pulling an extroverted caring mask off as soon as I walk away from someone. I’m very good with language and speak quickly and succinctly (somehow I imagine introverts struggle to piece their thoughts together?) When I’m by myself, I tend to become very critically self-reflective unless I’m working on something, creating, or enjoying art. I think this might be a product of being the youngest of three. In this position, I was forced to be social and preconditioned to think that others were wiser than me and that I should defer to them. Now it’s so apparent to me where everyone fall short.

I realise the imbalance of data I gave is troublesome. I could have done it differently, but I trust you all will see some meaning in it. I’ve been thinking a lot about INTJ lately because my cognitive functions point to that type NiFiTeSe, but I’ve never really thought of myself as introverted before. But now I’m contemplating whether I wear an extroverted mask to the rest of the world.

I’d be fine being two types (although it seems many of you feel that’s impossible), but I’m just looking for some sort of definition for my experience. Maybe I have a disorder...I’d be fine with that too. I pride myself on brevity in communication (5 sentences or less), but I think I really needed to get some of this out as most of the people I know mock MBTI and personality typology. Part of me feels incredibly selfish/stupid being here, writing all this, and asking for help, but this is bothering me enough.

Thanks for your help, and for the patient, servant's heart that you undoubtedly possess if you read all of this.:)

Silveresque

Wow, you're tricky. Overall, I would say you seem more like a thinking type with strong Fi, which would suggest auxiliary Te and tertiary Fi. Based on your function order, INTJ (Ni-Te-Fi-Se) seems the most likely by far. I've heard of something called a dominant-tertiary loop (or something like that), where someone becomes focused on their dominant and tertiary functions, neglecting the auxiliary function. Perhaps you're in an Ni-Fi loop?

neovincci

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
9w8
Thanks very much, I'd never thought of that before. The idea of the Ni-Fi loop certainly sounds plausible (although the link you shared that explained it didn't frame it very positively), since I do tend to repress the Te aspect of my personality in favor of Fe, even though doing so can make me feel inauthentic and causes internal conflict. I feel that my adherence to the social niceties and hierarchical harmonies of Fe are more of a tool of manipulation for me than an inner ideal like it is for NF types. So I think I may be able to settle on NT for sure.

Nicodemus

I have read neither your introduction thread nor this thread's opening post, but I believe I can tell from their structure, their titles, your avatar and your name that you are probably an NTJ.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
From the data presented, INTJ seems likely; Fe not so much, since it's more of a way to influence others as opposed to following group ethics, which is an indicator of Te. Although your function order seems rather strange for INTJ or ENTJ. Actually by your function order, ISFP or ESFP could also make sense (Te-Fi-Se-Ni seems pretty clear in all).

Enneagram wise, you don't sound 9w8 at all; 9's are conflict avoidant, and you mention how you actually like it. Tri-type wise, I'd say that you're probably: 8w9 > 2w3 > 5w4, although not necesarrily in that order (wing may vary as well).

neovincci

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
9w8
Thanks for your intuition, Nicodemus. I'm becoming more convinced that I am an NTJ.

Savage Idelalist, I personally cannot relate to SP types at all, but it may be possible that I resemble one at times. You seem to know much more about the Enneagram than I do, but I stand by my 9w8ness. While I enjoy conflict, I enjoy it because the resolution is usually better than the previous state. I prefer conflict to inauthentic kowtowing, but I always look forward to the peace. In that sense, I think I fit the 9w8 title of "The Referee". I've never been in a physical fight with anyone, and rarely initiate verbal arguments. But once they've started, I see them as a space for growth. I can definitely relate to the 2w3 and 5w4 however.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Savage Idelalist, I personally cannot relate to SP types at all, but it may be possible that I resemble one at times. You seem to know much more about the Enneagram than I do, but I stand by my 9w8ness. While I enjoy conflict, I enjoy it because the resolution is usually better than the previous state. I prefer conflict to inauthentic kowtowing, but I always look forward to the peace. In that sense, I think I fit the 9w8 title of "The Referee". I've never been in a physical fight with anyone, and rarely initiate verbal arguments. But once they've started, I see them as a space for growth. I can definitely relate to the 2w3 and 5w4 however.

That an interesting and creative way to percieve and use conflict to the advantage of better peace between others; in that regard I may concur with 9w8, although I do recommend further study into the enneagram before reaching any tentative conclusions, at least for the purpose of clarification (this also applies to the other tri-typings).

Also, it's certainly possible for ENTJ's to appear very SP-ish, considering that they have tert Se; they'd most likely look similar to ESFP's (Se/Te usage).

EDIT: yay post 2,222. :D

neovincci

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
9w8
Thanks everyone for all of your help. I've finally concluded that I'm a somewhat atypical INTJ. Testimonies from my family members, my interactions with an ISFJ (enigma) friend, and my own research, and of course all of your thoughtful analyses, have finally allowed me to rest on this question.