• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New to forum, old hat at MBTI in some ways, still don't know type though.

Medtnertunes

I'm moving thread here because there are more people viewing and its yet a more appropriate place for it.

Hi everyone, I haven't lurked here one bit, but maybe I will in the future; for now I have not a clue about the community here. I came here with one intention in mind however, and that is to either be typed in MBTI or officially give up on it and think its not worth it to know or care. I don't know how much of the information I'm about to dish out is revelant to my search or not, but I'll do it anyway.

I don't know if I should tell you about myself or what, my latest score for MBTI was ISFJ and ISFP before that on free tests. The first score I ever got on a very simple test back in high school was ISTJ and then I modified it to ISTP. For the longest time, I scored INTP and INTJ in socionics and someone tried to type me as INFP then ESFP? Pretty wierd history huh? The only introvert type I haven't really scored is INFJ and the only extravert type suggested is ESFP.

A bit about myself: I'm a 19 year old male and I have a very strong interest in classical music and piano that I chiefly identify with. I also am an excellent walker, biker and eater; I have a ridiculous amount of physical stamina and since I don't drive, I get around that way, relying on public transit only when I have to. My mental health tends to go down the drain if I don't get out. All the same, I get out for the fresh air and the exercise, not the people, though I need some interaction throughout the day to keep my crazy thoughts in check and assure myself that I'm likable to others. I suppose that's a succinct way of putting it. I really like science fiction for literature, though I've struggled through a few big victorian novels(david copperfield, and the claverings) and found the result rewarding. I have a piano teacher who's 58 and is my best friend and mentor, he teaches me about literature, films, piano, and music theory though its a two way street when it comes to the classical music listening repertoire. Sometimes I get very bored with reading, I find it difficult to sustain my attention but I muscle through anyway.

I have major goals in life. I want to be a composer or an instrument builder maybe. But sometimes I wonder if I'm at all suited to my dreams because I never get anything done. I have no discipline over the long term, I just have big ideas. I also am interested in getting back into paleontology, I always dreamed of being a scientist.

I've gone through phases of intense scientific and art interest, first being paleontology, then classical music, then astronomy, then chemistry, then psychology and mental health and personality types, then back to classical music and a little literature on the side, and then ancient musical instrument construction. Anything outside of these interests at a given time and my eyes uncontrollably glaze over, though I want to force myself all the time because I feel I should have a sharper mind for achieving goals, I'd love to be an instrument builder but sometimes I feel like I don't have the right mind or personality for it, its really frustrating and depressing. I'd like to read more books but I have the same fear again. I'd like to be a better pianist, but its hard work to learn new pieces, though I have an excellent memory(terrible site reader). I spend way too much time on the internet.

I have had severe mental health issues in my earlier teens and even more recently but I feel better now, as long as I stay on my medication.

I'm more straight than gay but I've never had a girlfriend. My one relationship was with a guy but he wore no me and my attraction faded.

I was inspired to come here because I recently had a date set up on okcupid with a very bright, artsy/cerebral, cute and intimidating girl who claimed to be an ENFP and enneagram two. She told me after the meeting she was certain I was a 9 wing 1. I'm probably never going to see her again because she got bored with me, though I found her extremely likable and attractive.

I understand that in socionics especially, there is a visual aspect to typing as well? I wonder how many experts there are on the site that can help with the information I have here, and if not visual can be a fall back. Maybe I'll contribute more, see where I fit in, and what you guys talk about in general(not just type stuff I hope), and then I can be typed.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
I think you are an ESTP with well devloped INFJ functions.
The only introvert type I haven't really scored is INFJ and the only extravert type suggested is ESFP.
*wink wink nudge nudge* eh? eh? :p
I'm a 19 year old male and I have a very strong interest in classical music and piano that I chiefly identify with.
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think deep appreciation for classical music is usually more of a Ti Fe thing.
I also am an excellent walker, biker and eater; I have a ridiculous amount of physical stamina and since I don't drive, I get around that way, relying on public transit only when I have to.
ESTP, the doer. :p
But sometimes I wonder if I'm at all suited to my dreams because I never get anything done. I have no discipline over the long term, I just have big ideas.
That would tend to indicate percieving, and possibly even extraversion as well?

I'd love to be an instrument builder but sometimes I feel like I don't have the right mind or personality for it, its really frustrating and depressing.
Se and impacience are kind of associated. However, you said you also find it depressing? They say ESTPs can often feel depressed when alone or faced with failure. Is that something you can relate to?
I'd like to read more books but I have the same fear again.
Fear of what? do you feel depressed and become pessimistic sometimes when you are alone and bored?

K that's all I got.

Medtnertunes

Thanks Amerelis for your combined visual and analytical insight. I think I agree with you, from what I understand I likely have dominant extroverted sensing. From my experience with socionics, I think this translates over to MBTI, my hidden agenda is most certainly a fear of being disliked associated with ExTPs, my extroverted feeling is probably my most vulnerable function. It would have been too weird or difficult to type me during my depression a few years back, but now that I'm more confident, perhaps its plainer.

Medtnertunes

Se and impacience are kind of associated. However, you said you also find it depressing? They say ESTPs can often feel depressed when alone or faced with failure. Is that something you can relate to?

Fear of what? do you feel depressed and become pessimistic sometimes when you are alone and bored?

I become impatient at my shortcomings, I feel intellectually inadequate in my ability to focus for long periods of time sometimes, and yes things do get stale when I don't have company. I usually prefer one on one company though.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
lol o whoops that says haven't really scored was INFJ. I thought it said the opposite. O well. :p the ESXP part still works.

@ what you just wrote: gotcha.

And you are welcome again. :)