• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who am I?? INFP, ENFP or INTP??? Please help.

Ernesto

MBTI Type
XNXP
I am not sure what type I am. The first time I took the mbti I came up very strongly INFP in all categories(+85%). However, at the time that I took this test I was going through a depressive episode. At the time I thought this was the perfect description of me, because I was so overwhelmed with my emotions and feelings. But after a little while, I began questioning if I was really as deep and in touch with my emotions as INFP's are.

The next time I took the test was a few weeks later. I had just started taking some antidepressants. This time I came out as INTP. Although the T/F were very borderline (basically INXP). This description sounded like me, except for the description of how cold and logical INTP's are, especially in relationships. I think I use feeling more than that.

Now, a couple days ago I took the test and I come up INFP again. However, this time both my I/E and T/F were very close. (xnxp) This made me think that I could be an ENFP so I read the descriptions for ENFP, and it probably sounds the most like me out of all the descriptions. Especially the description of ENFP relationships.

I always assumed that I was introverted because of how much talking I do with myself. But I think I figured out that is just the iNtuition talkiing to me, and that the difference between introvert and extravert is that intro likes to be alone mostly while extra doesn't like to be alone too much. And I definitely would rather be out doing something with friends than sitting by myself if I had a choice. I used to hate being alone, but now it's getting a little better (maybe because of the antidepressants?)

I am pretty sure that I am on the extraverted side, because I do truly enjoy being with people and going to parties and bars. It just matters who I am going with. If I were to stay home alone while my friends are out I would not be able to stand it. I'm pretty good with people for the most part and I get along with everyone, but I do have a tendency to be shy sometimes when it comes to meeting new people, especially girls.

I attribute this to childhood issues of insecurity and shyness. I think these issues are what causes it to be hard for me to meet new people, even though I want to. Or sometimes I might just get an idea of who the people at a bar or party are in my head and decide through intuition that I am not really interested in talking to them anyways.

I've heard that ENFP can be the most confusing type to classify as they are kind of the quiet extroverts, so that would make sense that it has taken me three or four different times to kind of figure this out. However, I am still not completely sure and would appreciate anyone else's input and advice.

Anyways, sorry if this is a little long... But if anyone has anything constructive to say that would be appreciated. For now I am just going to classify myself as XNXP.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
ENFP... quiet extroverts :rofl1:

Sorry that's not helpful right? :blush:

ENFPs are more difficult to negotiate with than INFPs. ENFPs can be very emphatic where as INFPs stay in the negotiation even though they may well make it clear that they are not going to change because basically they prefer the answer they have at the moment. ENFPs are more likely to get all flustered in those conversations.

Oh and it would seem that ENFPs, when stressed, are like mini cyclones. They pick up everything and scatter it.

INFPs seem more likely to get focused and pushy... ie they go more ESTJ sergeant style.

Possibly the biggest clue lies in the difference between EP and IP.
If you collect all the information, no matter how trivial, and then sort through it then you're more likely to be an EP.
I you judge information as it arrives to you and only assemble with those pieces of information which appear to be relevant then your more likely an IP.

(Oh and from the number of times you said "I", my guess is ENFP more than INFP but that's just a guess)

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
The most easiest way I found is to see it this way:

- Where do you get your energy from?
- Being with people, outside environment>> then Extrovert
- Being alone and reflecting >> then Introvert

- How you take in Information?
- Patterns, abstract, intuition >> N
- Facts, actual >> S

- How you process Information?
- How it makes you feel, your own value system>> Feeling
- How logical it is, rational methods, impersonal analysis >> Thinking

- How your actions and plans are?
- Open ended, no closure, possibilities >> P
- Done deal, planned, rigid >> J

This was explained to us by our lecturer, it made much sense to me, as its easy to understand and remember.
Hope it makes sense.
:)

PS: Yes ENFPs are the quiet extroverts, we need alone time to recharge ourselfs, but we still get our energy from people. And being Extroverts, we think aloud. So we will be in shopping centres at a shoe sale talking to ourselfs saying "Wow nice pair, I wonder if its on sale" loudly! :D

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you're answering the test as best you can, then there's no reason to be unsure about who you are. MBTI is just a descriptor, like political part affiliations. People aren't born democrats or republicans, they just develop views that fall somewhere along that spectrum. They usually don't fall perfectly in either camp, since people's political views aren't always organized neatly. Your question is kind of like a person who is pro-life and anti-big government freaking out because they don't know who they are. See?

Moved from NF Idyllic.

redacted

i disagree with edahn.

as long as you look at it from a function viewpoint, you should be able to figure out your best-fit type. forget the tests; they can't be very accurate. research Fi, Ne, Si, and Te (because you seem like quite an obvious xNFP). decide whether Fi/Ne/Si fits better than Ne/Fi/Te.

and not that this means much -- i get the INFP vibe from your writing. you seem more inner world focused than an ENFP would be.

good website for function information: Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

heart

heart on fire
Yes, I agree, you sound more INP than ENP. I have not read enough your stuff to see how much F or T you sound.

redacted

Yes, I agree, you sound more INP than ENP. I have not read enough your stuff to see how much F or T you sound.

my general rule is that INPs that claim to be on the border of T and F are most likely F.

plus, listen to this "However, at the time that I took this test I was going through a depressive episode. At the time I thought this was the perfect description of me, because I was so overwhelmed with my emotions and feelings. But after a little while, I began questioning if I was really as deep and in touch with my emotions as INFP's are."

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i disagree with edahn.

as long as you look at it from a function viewpoint, you should be able to figure out your best-fit type. forget the tests; they can't be very accurate. research Fi, Ne, Si, and Te (because you seem like quite an obvious xNFP). decide whether Fi/Ne/Si fits better than Ne/Fi/Te.

and not that this means much -- i get the INFP vibe from your writing. you seem more inner world focused than an ENFP would be.

good website for function information: Terms With Nonobvious Meanings

Out of curiosity, what do you disagree with? If it gets interesting, I'll split it into a new thread.

redacted

If you're answering the test as best you can, then there's no reason to be unsure about who you are. MBTI is just a descriptor, like political part affiliations. People aren't born democrats or republicans, they just develop views that fall somewhere along that spectrum. They usually don't fall perfectly in either camp, since people's political views aren't always organized neatly. Your question is kind of like a person who is pro-life and anti-big government freaking out because they don't know who they are. See?

i don't disagree with the literal meaning of this post. but it seems like you're implying that he should stop trying to identify his type because it's JUST a descriptor.

and i don't think the democrat/republican metaphor holds either. cognitive functions are distinctly defined. i think it's quite useful to explore and build a mental model of the function interactions in your own mind.

maybe you just took issue with the title of the thread "who am i". it should have been "what's my MBTI type" or something...

Ernesto

MBTI Type
XNXP
- Being with people, outside environment>> then Extrovert
- Being alone and reflecting >> then Introvert

This is kind of a hard question to answer, because I'm not really sure what "energize" really means exactly. But when I'm by myself, I guess I get energized and get into a good moodwhen I'm listening to certain music. However, when I'm in a bad mood, I have to listen to music that goes well with my mood and then I'm not sure if that energizes me. But it does make me feel something. I heard this was an INTP thing to do?

Besides that, that is the only time I really feel energized when I'm by myself. I get energized when I am around my good friends. People that I am very comfortable with and can act foolish with. I like going to bars and parties to a certain extent. It all depends on who I go with and if I happen to meet anyone that I find interesting at all. If that happens, then I've had a good night.

I really do wish I could meet people easier but I have always been shy since I was a kid, making it hard for me to break the ice if the other person isn't actively trying to. However, once I do get involved in a conversation with someone it usually works out pretty well. So I consider myself a shy people person.

I really can't tell where I get my "energy" from. Sometimes I can be kind of lifeless at a bar because I might be in a bad mood and assume that their isn't anyone interesting worth talking to, wheras I could've been in my room listening to music and getting hyped up. It also could work out the other way where I could be having a great time at the bar whereas I would've been at home bored, wishing I was at the bar.

I don't know if this helps at all but oh well...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I really can't tell where I get my "energy" from. Sometimes I can be kind of lifeless at a bar because I might be in a bad mood and assume that their isn't anyone interesting worth talking to, wheras I could've been in my room listening to music and getting hyped up. It also could work out the other way where I could be having a great time at the bar whereas I would've been at home bored, wishing I was at the bar.

Okay, the bold piece, that sounds NT like. To me NTs characteristically always have some times when everyone in the whole world seems to be a complete idiot.... and usually gets treated as such too :devil:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I would suggest you study the type descriptions and do the function tests. Then it will take some time to think about it. I wouldn't rely too much on online testing when finding your type (and that applies also to the function test).

Annuit Coeptis

MBTI Type
intp
ENFP's are sort of shapeshifters. I found that I was difficult to type, in that I kept seeing so much of myself in different descriptions. And I have only ONCE tested ENFP, in spite of having taken the test many, many times- varying my answers slightly each time. Maybe you are experiencing something similar?

Annuit Coeptis

MBTI Type
intp
So I consider myself a shy people person.

This is a common description for an ENFP, I think.
Also, you might have an X in there somewhere, and that can make things confusing...

INFP's tend to be really good at mediating arguments and keeping cool- ENFP's have more of a tendency to get flustered when it's something emotionally important. This is a very necessary distinction

Badlands

MBTI Type
INTP
Try to think back to when you were a kid which cognitive functions you used the most. As we get older, we begin to encompass control of various functions that aren't related to and even directly contradict our dominant. It sometimes takes a while to access the real preference. The thing I might note is that in all three types you might be, Ne is either dominant or auxiliary; Ne might therefore be dominant and you are an ENFP. Then again, my sister, an INFJ, also would likely characterize herself as a shy people person and that might just be your F talking to you rather than your E. That fits a lot of INTPs too, but I don't think you're that, because I don't see a lot of "Ti vocabulary" in analyzing yourself.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see a lot of people are NP's with I/E and T/F uncertainty.
What helped me was a shortcut to Step II, someone showed me, where you just grade the subscales directly (1-10) according to your preference. That showed me as leaning towards ENFP, and it was suggested from the scores that we sometimes might be a blend of types. If we use both Fi and Ti alot (along with the definite Ne), then we will appear to possibly be any of the NP types. We will prefer one, as the MBTI is sctructured on "preference", and not actual amounts of usage of functions. Once you figure out the first two, then the rest are automatically placed, but in real life, it may be more fuzzy than that.

aldube

I'm a INFP; over the years I've had the ISTJ mentality drilled into me by schools & my parents at home that I find very difficult to express myself at times as an adult now... :sad:

What a terrible & unethical thing for schools to modify/adjust children & teenagers personalities to fit the mold; it's bad enough society denies the male population open expression of emotions...

At one point schools were forcing left handed students to write with their right hands...

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
If I were to stay home alone while my friends are out I would not be able to stand it.

This totally sounds like me... buuuuut, I think you seem more INFP than ENFP to me. Could just be your writing style though.

Besides that, that is the only time I really feel energized when I'm by myself. I get energized when I am around my good friends. People that I am very comfortable with and can act foolish with. I like going to bars and parties to a certain extent. It all depends on who I go with and if I happen to meet anyone that I find interesting at all. If that happens, then I've had a good night.

Do you only like meeting new people if they are interesting? I think I've become less picky with this because more people fascinate me than they used to. Do you excitedly ask a lot of questions when you first meet someone? I know that is a common ENFP trait.