• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or ENFP?

Silveresque

I checked the thread: it was pretty useful, though it seems like everyone came to the same conclusion I did; Fi and Ti are both used in very similar ways, and it's difficult to tell the difference. I liked the descriptions by Dr. J. H. van der Hoop; I'd say I think more like a Ti, but my emotional world is more Fi. I tend to get really philosophical, distrust emotional judgement over logic, and try to disregard emotions when making decisions, like a Ti user, but the description of an Fe user's emotional world described me a lot better in general, which is why I think it could actually be the function I'm using. The way I figure it, a person can, over time, change the way they think, but emotional patterns are much harder to control, and so are likely to be more honest. Also, I tend to be able to see how things make sense quite quickly, and so, a lot of my thoughts are directed toward giving things value; however, when something doesn't make sense, I immediately have to figure it out.

From this, you sound like an ENTP. If you prefer logic and try to disregard your emotions when making decisions, that's definitely Ti. Having Ti instead of Fi doesn't mean that you're any less emotional. I would say that my emotional world is much like Fi as well. The difference is that a Fi user would actually use their feelings all the time in making decisions, so if you say you don't trust emotional judgement, you're not a Fi user.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
That makes a lot of sense; I was already beginning to lean toward my being an ENTP, but the main question in my mind isn't whether or not I trust emotional decisions, but whether or not I still end up using them. I've made a lot of decisions that wouldn't make sense from a logical standpoint, but were very emotionally involved. Most of these didn't end too well, which is why I don't trust my emotions, but I don't think I'd do things any differently, either.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I've been interacting on and off on ENTP forums since '98, and you seem ENTP to me. But I'm not an expert.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've been interacting on and off on ENTP forums since '98, and you seem ENTP to me. But I'm not an expert.

Hm. I'm also leaning towards ENTP, myself, just based on how it takes a bit of effort for me to think about the human or emotional element in a discussion or argument. I could be wrong, of course, but I'd say ENTP makes the most sense.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
Sometimes ENTPs with well developed Fe can be mistaken for ENFPs, but after observing the differences in Ti-Fe and Fi-Te as demonstrated by how they argue/ debate/ discuss, it seems clearer to me now.

However, it also seems to me like some ENTPs (including myself) sometimes use Fi, which goes against theory, but I could be wrong.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think you are wrong: that was part of the reason I thought I might be ENFP, actually. I definitely have traits of an Fi user, so I don't think it's impossible that we do use it to some extent.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your username also seems indicative of ENFP. Frankly, you remind me of another ENFP member, but much more mature, healthy, and developed.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Your username also seems indicative of ENFP. Frankly, you remind me of another ENFP member, but much more mature, healthy, and developed.

Thanks, though I think I'd have to go with ENTP, myself. It's possible you're right, though; any ENFPs out there wanna throw in their two cents?

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I don't think you are wrong: that was part of the reason I thought I might be ENFP, actually. I definitely have traits of an Fi user, so I don't think it's impossible that we do use it to some extent.

Yeah, I think so. I don't think my lesser function preferences align with theory, either. It seems to me that while I primarily operate in Ne-Ti-Fe, I think there are also time when I seem to have Se, Fi, and Te, which are supposed to be way underdeveloped for ENTPs.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd say you're one of us, from the few posts I've seen.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
amerellis: I read through the thread, though I'm still confused as to both how you came to the conclusion, and what exactly it means... if you could explain it a bit, that'd be great.
I'll try but it's a bit complicated.
All I mean by your type of origin is where your thoughts tend to settle if that makes any sense. It's the type that most resemble where you are speaking from and it comes off in your writing.
Your original type is your true type however and that reflects where your thoughts actually originate and the type and order of functions that you use. I can find people's original type when I hear them speaking. Also, I'm kind of starting to notice some patterns in the eyes of different types as well.
I'm sure you'll still confused- that wasn't a very good explanation. PM if you have any other questions.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You sound ENTP with strong Fe. They can appear to be pretty F. Charming, well meaning, jibing well with people around them. I guess you could be ENFP with strong Te too, but I think that would manifest differently. ENTP is just a hunch.

Starry

Oh shit...you aren't talkin about me are you!!!??? LOL. ((just kidding. I'm in one of those weird, giddy moods ENFPs occasionally get in LOL)). I think I *might* know whom you are actually referring to. I'm actually getting a bit of a Qlip feel from Lord Guess.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
You sound ENTP with strong Fe. They can appear to be pretty F. Charming, well meaning, jibing well with people around them. I guess you could be ENFP with strong Te too, but I think that would manifest differently. ENTP is just a hunch.

Vala Faye said:
I'd say you're one of us, from the few posts I've seen.

And the debate goes on :D. I think [MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION]'s got it down, personally; just to be sure, though, what would some of the differences be between the two?

[MENTION=14361]amerellis[/MENTION]: You're right, I'm still confused. I'll PM you later.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh shit...you aren't talkin about me are you!!!??? LOL. ((just kidding. I'm in one of those weird, giddy moods ENFPs occasionally get in LOL)). I think I *might* know whom you are actually referring to. I'm actually getting a bit of a Qlip feel from Lord Guess.

Lol not you. But I can see a lil Qlip kinship too.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And the debate goes on :D. I think [MENTION=5489]shortnsweet[/MENTION]'s got it down, personally; just to be sure, though, what would some of the differences be between the two?

[MENTION=14361]amerellis[/MENTION]: You're right, I'm still confused. I'll PM you later.

I don't know, I'm speaking from personal experience/ what I think the differences are. (So be prepared for an unsure/ I'm trying to convince myself/ rambley fest. :laugh:)

I think of developed ENTP's being charming debaters. Both Ne doms seem like they could talk their way around anything, but ENTP may like the debating for the sake of debate or an end, (lawyers) and ENFP just to get out of trouble or convince themselves that an idea is going to work.

ENFP
Ne with Fi: Possibilities and values, subjective, charming. Analyzing and deciding based on what they feel is right and wrong.
+Te: Being able to direct these functions efficiently/ to do something with them, coming in little bursts.

I'm not too understanding with inferiors. I kind of get the Si in an ENFP, but can't put it to words yet.

Anyway:

ENTP

Ne with Ti: Possibilities+ "does this idea logically work." Still talking their way around things/thinking about ideas but analyzing from a logical standpoint. Checking for incongruencies within their own speech and other's, (also in other systems besides people) making them masters of speech, wit, teaching, and debate. (And other things of course, both types. )

+Fe: Gives charm to the ENTP. Makes it so that their debates are fun, lively, warm, and considerate of the other party.

So ENFP is going to produce this fuzzy value-oriented person who likes to think in meanings and abstractions, connecting events together to create grand ideas and meanings of things based on values, and can also double check what they are thinking and hopefully carry through with some of these visions.

ENTP will create a professor effect: Same thing, logically oriented and creating grand ideas and perceptions of things based on what makes sense logically and being able to follow through with this in a warm, charming and people- oriented manner.

You may want to ask an INTP if you want some more text book depth and accuracy on the topic, though.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
No, I don't think I need to (though it'd be interesting to hear what they had to say); by that description, I'd say that you were right; ENTP through and through. It might have something to do with the fact that ENFP didn't get a full description, though.