• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do I survive in this world?

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I find myself in need of a metamorphosis, I am always in my head, lost in my thoughts and fairly aware of my interactions with whomever I'm around, I constantly get into this ideas and thoughts about physics and trying to figure out these things that I have no prior knowledge to, but still if I'm trying to sleep or in class or walking my brain tries to figure things out. How does skin develop?, how is speech possible? How complex is the human mind?

I am often sad or numb, not usually happy. I feel a little crazed. I get feelings from everything, A bird eating or me passing a by a trailer park, or looking at brothers fishing. I can't really describe it. I am very into me and my own mind and my life, but I am totally willingly to listen to people issues and try to help, unless they annoy me or they challenge my advice.

I get really giddy if something romantic happens in a movie or on a show. I have standards and I am always think about the possibility of what could from a meeting with someone or I think in the future what would happen to us and things like that.

I'm going to quit it now, because I'm sure this could be longer and I need as much help then I can get.

So what type do you make of this random jumbo of mess?

I can totally put more stuff down so just ask.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Uh....the first thing I got from that title was an existential crisis of some sort.

But you sound like my INFJ mother, when she goes off rambling about life and her feelings.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INFP 4w5 > 5w4 > 9w1(?) sp/sx

More information concerning, well, anything, would be relevant :yes:

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Uh....the first thing I got from that title was an existential crisis of some sort.

But you sound like my INFJ mother, when she goes off rambling about life and her feelings.

INFP 4w5 > 5w4 > 9w1(?) sp/sx

More information concerning, well, anything, would be relevant :yes:

Well I don't know what is relevant, but here goes nothing.

Well to start off with I wrote a lengthy response last night, but my computer ran out virtual memory and it completely shut down, so I took that as a sign that maybe I shouldn't have put too much, or I maybe something would happen that I should add, that is a part of me I take things as signs.

I don't like doing charity..
I hate it when people try to hard to be unique..
I am not good with my hands, and usually ruin something because I am trying to make it better.
Anything romantic or slightly sweet on TV will get a response from me, a "aww", but it is usually when I am alone or around close friends.
I consider what society calls boring, entertaining and fun and the other things like going out rather boring.
I feel as if I am in between a very analytical romantic dry human.

Hope this was relevant. I have a lot more I can say, but I don't want to write too much.

Soo?

Last edited:

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
This video almost made lose it in advertising class and this is the kind of video I like and basically describe the awwwwwness of things I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHkqGgPpQOE

I could tell how that add was going to end as soon as it was set up. But seeing her reaction still made me go aww too. :)

From what you've written, I think you sound like an INFP. I used to be an ESTJ gone INFP and I could relate to a lot of it. You remind me a lot of me. I too used to be consumed contemplating odd thoughts like that, and also had a fear of carrying conversations.
I'll go through, letter by letter, to show you what I mean.
I because you do not sound extraverted at all. Your social phobia, how you are mostly lost in thought.
N because you said you are terrible at handy work and also how you are often lost in curious thoughts.
F because you said that you would get feelings from watching things and also that many things make you go aww.
P because the way you are often wondering things as you are seems as if you are using Ne, extraverted intiution, which would make you a P. Also, the way you feel like a "ball of contradictions," I find NFPs will often give very contradicting opinions following one another as they are thinking through how they actually feel about something. Their NeFi will give them insight into a situation that they then give as a statement that applies to all things (Te) but then it will not be able to be applied in all stituations so then they have to back track and try again to explain what they really mean. This kind of thinking in me used to drive my INTP sister up the wall. :p

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, that video is really sweet :) I'm guessing you're a guy, right? How old are you btw? If you're still a teenager, most of your experiences are normal and it's nothing to worry about.
My advice might unintentionally sound condescending. You need to get your life back on track first, and you need to get laid afterwards.

Before you do that (unless you're very lucky, that is) you have to force yourself to go out and start socializing. You don't have to be the life of the party every day, but you need to kick yourself in the ass to get out of your own head and into your body. Stop watching romance movies.
Find peers with common interests in leisure groups or on the internet, reconnect with old friends, talk to people etc. It will be strange at first, but you'll get accustomed to the feeling, and it will eventually fade.
Do you have any hobbies? It might be time to find some. Do you play any sports? You could join a club. Start doing meditation exercises to clear your mind.
Are you a university student? You could talk to people inbetween your classes, in the library etc., or you could help people in your neighbourhood. Start with small talk first. If you feel a little more comfortable, move on to more interesting topics.
Eventually, you will make some friends, who will introduce you to other friends, and you will do the same in turn. You'll start to get to know people. If you feel like it, you can go clubbing. You MUST try it out at least a few times though, no excuses. If you utterly despise it, you don't have to do it, but give it a go first. After your first experiences outside your mind, start talking to girls. Many of them like emotional, intelligent and creative types, but try to balance your natural abilities with shamelessness. Most of these games have no consequences whatsoever. What's the worst thing that can happen while putting a move on a girl? She'll walk away. So what? Most of your fears are only fantasy, they're totally irrational. Let them go.
You need to start feeling strong sensations. Rush, arousal, fear etc. Bring yourself in situations where you have to conquer one of your fears and from which there is no return. Start skydiving, kiss a random girl on a party, whatever floats your boat, even it feels strange. That's the goal, to knock yourself out of your paralysis.
Set yourself realistic goals: what would you like to do for a living? Instead of dreaming, start creating step-by-step plans. Your family can help.

Give yourself a pat on the back after every little success, because if you're determined to change everything, it will be fucking hard tbh. Get a helmet, and don't take anything personally. Mistakes will make you stronger, keep that in mind. Sleep A LOT, you're going to need it.

As for your type, I really don't care. You shouldn't care either.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
You need to get your life back on track first, and you need to get laid afterwards.

Seriously? Get laid? that's your advice? that is so obnoxious. I liked some parts of your post but others just made me irritated.
(PS I'm pretty sure what your type is if you care to hear my opinion, which I doubt you would since you said you don't care about type and that people shouldn't in general. That was one of the parts of your post I agreed with)
Anyway, BHS, don't make a point of getting laid. you should only do it if you care about the person. that way it's actually meaningful.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
PS I'm pretty sure what your type is

And you're telling me my advice is obnoxious...?

you said you don't care about type and that people shouldn't in general.

That is not what I said. I said that I don't care about BHS's type, and he shouldn't care either.
The reason: at this stage, contemplating his MBT would more likely cause harm to him than help him.

Since you 1) don't seem to possess basic reading skills and 2) think you can judge a stranger's type after looking at a few (one?) posts on an anonymous online medium, I'm going to ignore your further comments.

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, that video is really sweet :) I'm guessing you're a guy, right? How old are you btw?

As for your type, I really don't care. You shouldn't care either.

:) well first in foremost thank you for your advice and lengthy response. I am very appreciative. I am a guy, 21 actually I am in a university and I do have friends 5 close friends, so that is fine I am not much for socializing with new people I meet, but I hang out with my friends rather frequently. I have these semi impulsive moments where I put myself out there and in these moment if I wanted to chat up a random girl or talk to someone in class then I can do that, but like I said I still take a outsider approach to it. Sort of a scientific way at looking at them and even around friends I don't feel like myself just an fucked up version of me. I do not like playing sports it is boring in a way, and I would do it if I am trying to be healthy, and I kind of meditate and as for hobbies I have a shit load writing, doodling, photography, singing, Anthropology, Psychology, etc so the reason why I put this information here is for help on my type, because I feel like I act like a lot types and I feel like I use a lot of functions so it is difficult, I actually enjoy typology it is very interesting. As for plans I definitely do them and follow through with them, I want certain life, but I know the life I want isn't realistic, but I am going to try my very hardest to get it close enough.

Seriously though thank you for advice, it was really kind. :)

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Seriously? Get laid? that's your advice? that is so obnoxious. I liked some parts of your post but others just made me irritated.
(PS I'm pretty sure what your type is if you care to hear my opinion, which I doubt you would since you said you don't care about type and that people shouldn't in general. That was one of the parts of your post I agreed with)
Anyway, BHS, don't make a point of getting laid. you should only do it if you care about the person. that way it's actually meaningful.

I take Litvyak advice for what it is, I know that this person doesn't mean any harm by this message and so I didn't take it as a asshole way responding, but more of advice my older brother would give me. It was nice and I see what this person means, so I thank Litvyak and you for your guy's advice it was nice to here what you all had to say.

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
And you're telling me my advice is obnoxious...?
First of all, that is not advice it was just a statement. Sorry, you found it to be so obnoxious. I didn't think about it enough to realize that you would take me telling you that your advice was at times obnoxious so personally that you would become so defensively offensive.

That is not what I said. I said that I don't care about BHS's type, and he shouldn't care either.
The reason: at this stage, contemplating his MBTI would more likely cause harm to him than help him.
See, there I agree with you that it would probably do more harm than good. I wish I had considered that before I typed him. However, he did start a thread on here asking to be typed so you can't really blame me. Anyway, I'm sorry that I interpreted that statement of yours wrong but I don't think my interpretation was that far off, I was just extrapolating that what you felt for the given situation was how you felt for all situations. Which was wrong of me. My mistake.

Since you 1) don't seem to possess basic reading skills and 2) think you can judge a stranger's type after looking at a few (one?) posts on an anonymous online medium, I'm going to ignore your further comments.
I don't possess basic reading skills because I misinterpreted a single statement? That is an exaggeration. It's false.

And yeah I think you are an ISFP.

Give me a minute to gather what I consider evidence to explain myself.

Although I probably shouldn't bother. I know your type and you dislike me and an explanation isn't going to change that. why bother.

And besides, to ever acknowledge me again would go back on your idiotic word, a judgment you made about me, that EVERYTHING I COULD EVER SAY IS TOO WORTHLESS FOR YOU TO RESPOND TO, which believe me is a much worse and irrational a judgment to make about someone based on a single post than thinking you can identify their type which btw many if not most other members think they can do as well, and your much too idiotic to ever do that.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I take Litvyak advice for what it is, I know that this person doesn't mean any harm by this message and so I didn't take it as a asshole way responding, but more of advice my older brother would give me. It was nice and I see what this person means, so I thank Litvyak and you for your guy's advice it was nice to here what you all had to say.

I see. What I wrote was more like a general guideline in response to your question ("How do I survive in this world?"), thanks for clarifying :) With interesting hobbies and some friends, your job will be a lot easier. Did you talk about this with your friends? Did you tell them about this "fucked up version" of yours? Their input on how they see you might be more rewarding for you than typology atm, but that's just my two cents.

Forcing extreme sensations works very well against the "scientific approach", I find. Try to reawake your natural instincts and your curiosity. Try to ask yourself questions about certain people instead of the big questions of life. "He seems like an interesting guy/girl, I wonder what he/she is up to."

My point on sex still stands, it is a natural cure for many things.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't like doing charity..

How do you feel about getting paid to work with people or animals?

I'll give you my advice, and take it with a grain. I mean that. Take everything you read here about INFP's and E4's (and I do belive your INFP 4w5) with a grain. These are just tools to aid in understanding, but sometimes people looking into this theory can become extremely introspective. I don't think you need to introspect or analyze any longer. You need to ENGAGE with the external. After all, you wan't to LIVe life.. not just think about it, right?

Many people that struggle with existential crises (and again, I'm not saying you are) are prone to living very rich internal fantasies that cause the real world to pale in comparison. When all you do is live in your mind, you lose your frame of reference. You can not distinguish your path or who you are because your going off an internal construct that doesn't align with reality. So you need to actively seek opportunities to engage.

Art therapy can be highly beneficial, and if you find that you are too much of a perfectionist and get frusterated in creating tangible things, try focusing on abstract art. Use this as an outlet for your feelings. Never Ever make art in hopes of creating a masterpiece. Always ask "is this a true portrayal of what I'm feeling" not "is this good".

Do you work or go to school? How often are you interacting with friends?

A

A window to the soul

I am often sad or numb, not usually happy. I feel a little crazed. I get feelings from everything, A bird eating or me passing by a trailer park, or looking at brothers fishing. I can't really describe it. I am very into me and my own mind and my life, but I am totally willingly to listen to people issues and try to help, unless they annoy me or they challenge my advice.

ISTP

I get really giddy if something romantic happens in a movie or on a show. I have standards and I am always think about the possibility of what could from a meeting with someone or I think in the future what would happen to us and things like that.

I'm going to quit it now, because I'm sure this could be longer and I need as much help then I can get.

So what type do you make of this random jumbo of mess?

I can totally put more stuff down so just ask.

ISTP INFP (maybe J)

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I could tell how that add was going to end as soon as it was set up. But seeing her reaction still made me go aww too. :)

From what you've written, I think you sound like an INFP. I used to be an ESTJ gone INFP and I could relate to a lot of it. You remind me a lot of me. I too used to be consumed contemplating odd thoughts like that, and also had a fear of carrying conversations.
I'll go through, letter by letter, to show you what I mean.
I because you do not sound extraverted at all. Your social phobia, how you are mostly lost in thought.
N because you said you are terrible at handy work and also how you are often lost in curious thoughts.
F because you said that you would get feelings from watching things and also that many things make you go aww.
P because the way you are often wondering things as you are seems as if you are using Ne, extraverted intiution, which would make you a P. Also, the way you feel like a "ball of contradictions," I find NFPs will often give very contradicting opinions following one another as they are thinking through how they actually feel about something. Their NeFi will give them insight into a situation that they then give as a statement that applies to all things (Te) but then it will not be able to be applied in all stituations so then they have to back track and try again to explain what they really mean. This kind of thinking in me used to drive my INTP sister up the wall. :p

Me too, it was terribly predictable, but the sweetest thing and that is the only time I like shows and stuff to be predictable when they are adorable like that and
Oh sorry I did not see this post earlier, so you are thinking INFP? seems like it makes sense. I try in and find the science behind conversations, and although it works better when it is organic I find me studying everything.

. Did you talk about this with your friends? Did you tell them about this "fucked up version" of yours? Their input on how they see you might be more rewarding for you than typology atm, but that's just my two cents.

Forcing extreme sensations works very well against the "scientific approach", I find. Try to reawake your natural instincts and your curiosity. Try to ask yourself questions about certain people instead of the big questions of life. "He seems like an interesting guy/girl, I wonder what he/she is up to."

My point on sex still stands, it is a natural cure for many things.

I don't talk about this with my friends, one because even though they are friends I don't share much about me, I am more of listener unless we just start getting to now each other, then is when I speak a lot or when we are talking about something cool like race, but I just say enough for them to think I share a lot (or enough). I don't trust many people as I'm sure you can tell. Also I wouldn't know how to describe that version of me, and I don't think they could tell me things about me really, because I don't share a lot. I do ponder those things about people and I could randomly ask someone about themselves, that is how I met some people in my life. I am also sure that sex could be a natural cure for things, so thanks I'll keep that in mind.

I'll give you my advice, and take it with a grain. I mean that. Take everything you read here about INFP's and E4's (and I do belive your INFP 4w5) with a grain. These are just tools to aid in understanding, but sometimes people looking into this theory can become extremely introspective. I don't think you need to introspect or analyze any longer. You need to ENGAGE with the external. After all, you wan't to LIVe life.. not just think about it, right?

Many people that struggle with existential crises (and again, I'm not saying you are) are prone to living very rich internal fantasies that cause the real world to pale in comparison. When all you do is live in your mind, you lose your frame of reference. You can not distinguish your path or who you are because your going off an internal construct that doesn't align with reality. So you need to actively seek opportunities to engage.

Art therapy can be highly beneficial, and if you find that you are too much of a perfectionist and get frusterated in creating tangible things, try focusing on abstract art. Use this as an outlet for your feelings. Never Ever make art in hopes of creating a masterpiece. Always ask "is this a true portrayal of what I'm feeling" not "is this good".

Do you work or go to school? How often are you interacting with friends?

Thanks, I do like art, but whenever I do draw I like to doodle, and I am in something of a trance, where all I do is draw and write and I enjoy those because I don't even realize that I am doing that, but when drawing is a task I try to make it perfect, unless I put it in my mind that I am not gonna do that.

I go to a University, typically I hang out my friends everyday give or take circumstances.

ISTP

ISTP INFP (maybe J)

INFP, this is interesting view because when I first wrote about myself on here I've gotten IXFJ, on different sites I've gotten ENTP, ISFJ, INFP, INFJ, INTJ and never type 4. Type 5, 6, 9, and 1 so I really find this to be pretty interesting.

A

A window to the soul

INFP, this is interesting view because when I first wrote about myself on here I've gotten IXFJ, on different sites I've gotten ENTP, ISFJ, INFP, INFJ, INTJ and never type 4. Type 5, 6, 9, and 1 so I really find this to be pretty interesting.

You're 4, 6, or 9; x-rated. :x

Hmmm, you said you're often sad, numb, and unhappy, which is a common reality for introverts or so I read somewhere. If I recall correctly, it had to do with disliking people and the consequences that come from that; such as, being lonely. But those feelings might be caused by something else, so would you also say you are often pessimistic and critical?

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You're 4, 6, or 9; x-rated. :x

Hmmm, you said you're often sad, numb, and unhappy, which is a common reality for introverts or so I read somewhere. If I recall correctly, it had to do with disliking people and the consequences that come from that; such as, being lonely. But those feelings might be caused by something else, so would you also say you are often pessimistic and critical?

Yeah, it is a bit conflicting, but I think about the worse thing that could happen and so usually that makes pretty much a pessimist. I have these moments where I can be so optimistic, but it goes away pretty fast, so instead I just float along.

Critical I guess you can say I am, definitely self critical, about other people I guess too, but I would never say that to them I'd just keep it to my self.

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I forgot to answer this question, I really prefer not too, but if I have to work with people then fine, but not like taking care of them or anything like that, more like I'll ring up your food, you pay and then leave, or something along those lines. With animals I do not want to work with them, they aren't really controlled so not so much, although I would love to study animal behavior, but not work directly with them.

Lord Guess

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I won't pretend that I can immediately categorize your type just from a couple posts (I can guess, but it's not quite that important to what I'm going to say now), but I can definitely give you advice.

Number one? You need to figure out where you feel the most comfortable. It can be a place, situation, group of friends, anything. Then, do something to push yourself out of your comfort zone; I will guarantee that, since you are able to find emotional stimulation in the littlest things (a rare gift: not a lot of people are able to notice the beauty of the world around them), you will learn to love the new, exciting feelings you will experience from discovering what the world truly has to offer you.

My next bit of advice will surprise you, but I would then say that you need to get out of your own head. Why? Well, while introspection is a wonderful way to get acquainted with yourself and your own place in the world, it seems that you are just a tiny bit down on yourself. I could be wrong, of course, but that's the feeling that I'm getting from the way you're posting at the moment. Speaking from personal experience, the worst thing you can do when you're feeling that way is to continue thinking about it, simply because your brain is only going to direct itself further down the same path. It's a vicious cycle, and it can be a while before you get back where you really want to be if your negative thoughts and emotions are left unchecked. Instead, try to surround yourself with things that will make you happier; if that doesn't work, try and do something that will make you happier, instead. Sometimes, the feeling of accomplishing something that you can take pride in is just what you need to put yourself back on top.

The last bit of advice I'd have to give you is more or less what Litvyak already said; loosen up, go out, and get laid (believe me, you will feel a lot better once you do)! Social situations are nothing to be afraid of; most people out there are just as nervous meeting new people as you might be, so they're likely spending all their time in their own heads, worrying just what you're thinking about them. No, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with enjoying your own company (I find myself needing to take breaks from people every now and then), but like all things in life, balance is key.

(By the way, if you were wondering, I'd put you as an INFJ. The INF part I think is pretty obvious, as for the J, I'm not too sure why, but I'm definitely getting that vibe from you, somehow :shrug: )