• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you'd liked to be typed . . .

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
[MENTION=9016]mrcockburn[/MENTION] : yeah that is really not true. When we were younger me and my INTP sister would often share daydreams/fantasies we'd had and her's were just like you would expect a fantasy to be: adventurous, exciting, romantic . . .

[MENTION=9958]stalemate[/MENTION] : It could be . . . I would tend to think so . . .

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've been spending a lot of time lately thinking about how our wake/sleep cycle would be perceived by an alien race that didn't need sleep at all. I tried to be them in my head and I saw us as being activated by the sun like when the sun shines on us we run around a lot and move stuff around and get really busy and then it gets dark and we stop. And then I took it all out into like a filmstrip view of sunny and dark where I could navigate around it forward and back through time. I figured these fictional aliens would see us as pretty pointless, just rearranging the earth during daylight hours.

Is that NF style fantasy/daydream?

Very NF to me -- I think of the same kinds of things.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What does the sorting hat say for me?

amerellis

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4/9
I think my intuition about you is correct. I feel you have an unique perspective on analytical psychology, and a lot to potentially contribute around here. Based on your answer, though, some of your understanding of the theories you're trying to work off of is a bit flawed. I know you've already heard this, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. I'd only like to suggest that some of your newer ideas will go over better if you can tie it back to the accepted theories by addressing yourself directly to a flaw you see in the assumptions or conclusions of the ideas that are already out there. Or make up something entirely new so people can appreciate an original thought without quibbling over how what your saying does or doesn't fit in with someone else's bullshit.

It's always hard out there for the creative types. Hang in there, amerellis! Say what's on your mind, and take no fuckin prisoners! :static:
lol I always liked you :)

I'm not trying to sound arrogant but what about my typing do you think is flawed? What makes it impossible?

Also, I thought I was pointing out a flaw in the system, that order of functions doesn't necessarily mean a list of function development from greatest to least.

And I couldn't really invent entirely new ideas because my ideas are based on MBTI, they are just a further development and insight into that theory.

Sorry, I didn't respond sooner. I was going to but then I kind of got to second guessing myself.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
hehe Gryffindor!
:p
INTP and I'm pretty sure cause I saw your vid and you remind me of my sister.

Thanks.

You're right on the type except I think I'd placed in Ravenclaw. Griffyndor's pretty cool though.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not trying to sound arrogant but what about my typing do you think is flawed? What makes it impossible?

I thought your understanding of the original MBTI theory might be a bit flawed based on the definition you gave of a Dominant Function. I didn't say anything about how you type people, nor that anything was impossible.

Also, I thought I was pointing out a flaw in the system, that order of functions doesn't necessarily mean a list of function development from greatest to least.

I've read a couple of your other threads. If you have said this, it wasn't said explicitly enough for me to catch on to. When you're writing a criticism, you generally want to lay out the other person's theory or argument as explicitly as possible. I won't say assume your audience is dumb, but start writing from the perspective that they won't be able to infer your starting point from your conclusion alone. This is especially the case where intuition is concerned. So in the case of the critique you just mentioned you'll have to state:

1) The clearest and best explanation you can give for how Myers-Briggs define function order in their theory.
2) Why this is incorrect.
3) What you offer as an alternative, and why this alternative is an improvement on the accepted definition.

You cannot skip any of these steps or your alternate definition will appear arbitrary or possibly incomprehensible to anyone else.

And I couldn't really invent entirely new ideas because my ideas are based on MBTI, they are just a further development and insight into that theory.

I'm more of a reformer than an innovator, myself. No shame in it. :wink:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well...different types of fantasy.

NTs will daydream about some kind of gadget/chemical creation/technical stuff.

I can only speak for myself, but NFs may daydream more about weird abstract stuff like semiotics, writing music in their heads, their abstract career goals, "what ifs" when applied to daily situations (ie, if President Obama walked onto a mall escalator and kicked a baby inside a stroller, would he get his ass kicked", etc etc!

T's are more detail-oriented/tech specific. NFs more conceptual.

While I can agree with all of those, I also enjoy things like Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, etc etc. What do you mean 'more conceptual'?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
While I can agree with all of those, I also enjoy things like Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, etc etc. What do you mean 'more conceptual'?

I think it's interesting to compare authors like Madeleine L'Engle (INFP) vs Ursula LeGuin (INTJ), for example. Both wrote fantasy (although LeGuin also writes scifi and both wrote in other genres).

They both approach similar fantasy through different sensibilities. L'Engle's stories really revolve more around the inter/intrapersonal aspects of the characters, even despite the fantasy trappings... and you can see where she just swipes ideas to suit her intrapersonal story (such as mitochondria) without caring as much about the actual scientific reality of what those things are, it's subsumed to her area of interest.

LeGuin also deals with intra/interpersonal issues, but there's a detachment about it, and a real sense of grounding in the "way the world works" in the external sense. Personal values/preferences are subsumed to making the world consistent and following observable patterns. L'Engle was much more willing to fudge/fluff on those matters, where LeGuin incorporated that reality into how she wrote her story.

Generalizing again, I think N "appears" more similar to F than to T. T looks more S. I think this is why the "weirder/more abstracted" the N gets, the more likely someone will see it as F-like.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
lol I always liked you :)

Sorry, I didn't respond sooner. I was going to but then I kind of got to second guessing myself.

"I've always liked you" ...

You sound like me :). Only with 10.000 posts less

Kyrios

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2/6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Id like to try out of curiosity please :) though I have have to do it written.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was in line here first... no cutting :p