• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I don't even know anymore...

Silveresque

Until recently I was so sure about my type, but lately after reading through so many threads comparing INFP's and INTP's I've been thinking I seem to identify more with INTP descriptions, so I think I may have mistyped myself. Right now I feel much more INTP than INFP, but if I really am an INTP, then there are some unresolved issues I need to figure out, some loose ends that don't seem to fit.

The main reason I've stayed INFP for so long is that when I look back at how I used to be as a child, I was much more emotional and temperamental. Actually, enneatype four probably would have described me pretty well. Since I was originally like that, I figured I was probably INFP originally and developed my Ti.

But now I've realized I had overlooked some other possibilities. I assumed that my emotional side from when I was a child was Fi, but what if it was really inferior Fe? There's also the possibility that it was Fi still in the process of developing (as an INTP).

If I am indeed an INTP, I wonder what could have caused me as a young child to develop Fi. Developing Ti makes more sense to me, because I had a reason to do that, but if I truly identify more with INTP, I have to rethink this and consider other possibilities about my past.

This page has a few of my posts where I answer some questions, comparing my answers to an INTP's and an INFP's: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/49517-questionnaire-answers-inside-confident-i-m-5w4-but-am-not-sure-my-type-2.html

I could really use some help determining whether I really am an INTP or if I am still an INFP. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Silveresque

Where is everyone? Oh well, maybe I'll just assume I'm INTP for now. Wow, it feels like I've just gone over to the dark side or something...

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think its fallacious to place too much thought into the behavior and personality of your childhood; people change overtime, and as far as I'm concerned, so does cognitive function and enneagram types. Thus it is imperative to only view yourself as of the present, not so much of the past.

As for discerning between Fi and Ti, it can be tricky, as both functions are rational functions that can look similar; especially if they are of similar strength, then the chances of being either type are fairly high.

Your best option would be to carefully analyze the core differences of Fi and Ti while perhaps analyzing your weakest function (if you need descriptions or anything of the sort I'll be glad to post/link them). Either that, or simply go with your gut on whether you place greater imoprtance on internal frameworks of logic or personal vlaues, although such a method is not nearly as precise as the former.

Silveresque

I think its fallacious to place too much thought into the behavior and personality of your childhood; people change overtime, and as far as I'm concerned, so does cognitive function and enneagram types. Thus it is imperative to only view yourself as of the present, not so much of the past.

I have to agree with this. As revealing as the origins of my type development can be, I am who I am now, so it doesn't really matter who I used to be. They may say that you can't change types, but if I were already on the fence I'm not sure that even applies to me.

As for discerning between Fi and Ti, it can be tricky, as both functions are rational functions that can look similar; especially if they are of similar strength, then the chances of being either type are fairly high.

Your best option would be to carefully analyze the core differences of Fi and Ti while perhaps analyzing your weakest function (if you need descriptions or anything of the sort I'll be glad to post/link them). Either that, or simply go with your gut on whether you place greater imoprtance on internal frameworks of logic or personal vlaues, although such a method is not nearly as precise as the former.

I've been reading about Fi and Ti, and I'm pretty sure I use both functions well. When I take in new information, I examine it subjectively at first, then I distance myself and analyze objectively, holding both the subjective and objective reactions in my mind as two separate entities, each with equal weight. I find there's a certain harmony between these two entities that is difficult to describe. It's as if they're two halves of the same function.

When I evaluate choices, I analyze thoroughly and objectively from several angles and viewpoints to determine the best outcome. And when I'm determining whether someone's action is right or wrong, I do the same. In general, I place equal importance on intent and outcome, but I use them in different contexts. Intent is only relevant to judging the person, while outcome is relevant to judging the action. I place no importance on traditional values unless they are justified by some form of logic. All my beliefs and values must be justified and consistent.

It seems to me that even when determining and refining my values I use Ti, perhaps even more than Fi. I'm fairly certain I use both functions together in such an intertwined fashion that it's almost as if they've merged into one. However, I'm starting to believe that Ti may be dominant over Fi.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What leads you to believe that you use Fi just as well? Because Ti is a subjective function, as well.

Silveresque

What leads you to believe that you use Fi just as well? Because Ti is a subjective function, as well.

That's a good question. I was actually just wondering if I might have mistaken my Ti for Fi. I'll get back to you on that after some more reading descriptions.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have to agree with this. As revealing as the origins of my type development can be, I am who I am now, so it doesn't really matter who I used to be. They may say that you can't change types, but if I were already on the fence I'm not sure that even applies to me.

Indeed, I would only beleive that people are forever thesame type if there was irrefutable proof to support such a claim. Since there is not, it is probably more likely that people develop their personality throughout life.

I've been reading about Fi and Ti, and I'm pretty sure I use both functions well. When I take in new information, I examine it subjectively at first, then I distance myself and analyze objectively, holding both the subjective and objective reactions in my mind as two separate entities, each with equal weight. I find there's a certain harmony between these two entities that is difficult to describe. It's as if they're two halves of the same function.

When I evaluate choices, I analyze thoroughly and objectively from several angles and viewpoints to determine the best outcome. And when I'm determining whether someone's action is right or wrong, I do the same. In general, I place equal importance on intent and outcome, but I use them in different contexts. Intent is only relevant to judging the person, while outcome is relevant to judging the action. I place no importance on traditional values unless they are justified by some form of logic. All my beliefs and values must be justified and consistent.

It seems to me that even when determining and refining my values I use Ti, perhaps even more than Fi. I'm fairly certain I use both functions together in such an intertwined fashion that it's almost as if they've merged into one. However, I'm starting to believe that Ti may be dominant over Fi.

Actually what you described almost sounds like a combination of Te and Fi; perhaps you're actually INTJ? Or maybe even a reserved ENFP?

Silveresque

Actually what you described almost sounds like a combination of Te and Fi; perhaps you're actually INTJ? Or maybe even a reserved ENFP?

I highly doubt that I'm an INTJ or an ENFP. My father and brother are both INTJ's, and that type is probably the easiest for me to recognize. I'm not at all like an INTJ. There's also no way I could be an extrovert. Whenever I take tests I always score extremely low on extroversion.

I found a quote by an INFP (Snail) on INTP Forum that describes Fi:

"I feel that my emotions are trustworthy. I use them to fine-tune my value system, which utterly rejects prejudices such as those GarmGarf mentioned. I do this by waiting until I have a feeling, then checking it against what I believe I should feel. If the two are not consistent, I re-analyze why I believe I should feel otherwise. If it does not make sense or is inconsistent with the rest of my values, particularly the foundations of the value system, I alter the value until it is properly aligned. If the reason makes sense and retains an internal consistency with the rest of the value system, I figure out why I am feeling inappropriately. When I discover the core of the error, I can work to change the spiritual flaw in order to change the emotion. I continue focusing on appropriate attitudes until the actual emotion aligns with the value system again."

I think this confirms that I was mistaken about my Fi. I use Ti logic rather than feeling to come to the same conclusions and form my values. So I guess this makes me INTP. Thanks for your help, Hazashin and Savage!

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I highly doubt that I'm an INTJ or an ENFP. My father and brother are both INTJ's, and that type is probably the easiest for me to recognize. I'm not at all like an INTJ. There's also no way I could be an extrovert. Whenever I take tests I always score extremely low on extroversion.

I found a quote by an INFP (Snail) on INTP Forum that describes Fi:

"I feel that my emotions are trustworthy. I use them to fine-tune my value system, which utterly rejects prejudices such as those GarmGarf mentioned. I do this by waiting until I have a feeling, then checking it against what I believe I should feel. If the two are not consistent, I re-analyze why I believe I should feel otherwise. If it does not make sense or is inconsistent with the rest of my values, particularly the foundations of the value system, I alter the value until it is properly aligned. If the reason makes sense and retains an internal consistency with the rest of the value system, I figure out why I am feeling inappropriately. When I discover the core of the error, I can work to change the spiritual flaw in order to change the emotion. I continue focusing on appropriate attitudes until the actual emotion aligns with the value system again."

I think this confirms that I was mistaken about my Fi. I use Ti logic rather than feeling to come to the same conclusions and form my values. So I guess this makes me INTP. Thanks for your help, Hazashin and Savage!

Alright then, INTP it seems it is.

You're welcome. :yes:

Silveresque

I was of really no help (I never am, lol), but thank you anyway. :D

No, you really were helpful! If you hadn't questioned my Fi, I probably wouldn't have dug as deep as I did to confirm that suspicion. So thanks again! :D