• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFJ or INFJ?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was the biggest thing I identified with in the ISFJ description, but I don't feel like I use memory the way ISFJs apparently do. I'm really unobservant, usually, so all the talk of attention to detail being the reason doesn't feel like what I do. For me it's more like taking a mental picture; I notice the details later.

The Si style of living involves much living in the past and even living for the sake of the past.

silverrose

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The Si style of living involves much living in the past and even living for the sake of the past.

Hmmm...I'm more present- and future- oriented I think. The more I think about it, it seems like those instances where I have spent time recalling past experiences have been when I've been isolated for some time and have exhausted my usual subjects for contemplation, or I'm particularly gloomy. In either case, I am usually re-evaluating a situation to find deeper or hidden meanings that I might not have discovered before or amusing myself by thinking about people I like. "Maybe she did that because xxxx..." or "now I understand why he did that!"

Ni or Si (working with Fe)?^

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm...I'm more present- and future- oriented I think. The more I think about it, it seems like those instances where I have spent time recalling past experiences have been when I've been isolated for some time and have exhausted my usual subjects for contemplation, or I'm particularly gloomy. In either case, I am usually re-evaluating a situation to find deeper or hidden meanings that I might not have discovered before or amusing myself by thinking about people I like. "Maybe she did that because xxxx..." or "now I understand why he did that!"

Ni or Si (working with Fe)?^

Everything you say points to FeNi. Finding deeper or hidden meanings is Ni not Si. So INFJ.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Re-read your OP: I think you're INFJ, I see Ni usage, not really any Si usage.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Based on everything you’ve said, I'm voting for INFJ.

In your answers to the questions about the meals from yesterday or the doctor's visit, the fact that it would take you a few minutes to recall the details and would be vague in your answers doesn't sound like any of the ISFJs I know. The Si-doms or auxiliaries that I know are usually able to give word-for-word dialogue recall of a conversation that happened a week ago at a moment's notice. For me, I could recall overall meanings derived from conversations, and some sniplets of important information/dialogue, but actual word-for-word, chronological details would take a lot more brain power.

And don’t feel bad that it’s hard for you to figure out your dominant function right away :). The fact that it’s closest to our ego and how we perceive reality can make it harder to realize when we’re using it. Because . . . that basically is our reality, and it can be like, ‘Wait, you mean not everyone thinks like this?’ It’s easier for me to notice when I’m using Fe, Ti, or Se than Ni. I think I’m only at the beginning of grasping just how much of my thoughts are all permeated by Ni. It’s kind of like trying to tell what your nose looks like if you don’t have a mirror. It’s just too close to you.

silverrose

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Thanks guys. I feel a lot more assured as a result of reading, some intense self-analyzing, observing myself over the last few days, and this discussion with y'all. :D

Based on everything you’ve said, I'm voting for INFJ.

In your answers to the questions about the meals from yesterday or the doctor's visit, the fact that it would take you a few minutes to recall the details and would be vague in your answers doesn't sound like any of the ISFJs I know. The Si-doms or auxiliaries that I know are usually able to give word-for-word dialogue recall of a conversation that happened a week ago at a moment's notice. For me, I could recall overall meanings derived from conversations, and some sniplets of important information/dialogue, but actual word-for-word, chronological details would take a lot more brain power.
:thumbup: YESH.

Because . . . that basically is our reality, and it can be like, ‘Wait, you mean not everyone thinks like this?’

*hahahaha, that is exactly my reaction when I first started learning about MBTI. I love it because it makes it so much easier to tolerate people...

An