• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Instinctual Variant

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well yes, this is part of my whole point. That sp does not equate to only material things - it's the whole self. So to your original point, where you say misconception of Sp is that Sp is NOT about the self, it is instead about safety, that's really not true. Sure, it's a part of it, but sp is absolutely about the self and looking at all aspect of ones' own health/self - physical, emotional, spiritual, what have you.

If you're in agreement that sp is not just focusing on material things, then that's cool and I am in agreement as well. It's just that your various posts about sp in this thread and others really don't say this - you initially focus on pretty much only the material and safety aspects, and your initial examples tend to be people who are only focused on these material things, and very material 'successes'.

I think that "safety" extends to the psychological and emotional, which is more immaterial.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have ever discussed that, but the ultimate drive of the self-pres instinct is to recreate the conditions of the intra-uterin life, where you are quiet,guarded, comfortable, totally at peace, and where all your needs are supported because you are connected with someone who supports your safety, and that you communicate with that person in a way that makes you feel quite and comfortable. I think the ultimate drive of Self-pres people is to feel like a fetus.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that "safety" extends to the psychological and emotional, which is more immaterial.

That would make more sense.

I have ever discussed that, but the ultimate drive of the self-pres instinct is to recreate the conditions of the intra-uterin life, where you are quiet, comfortable, totally at peace, and where all your needs are supported because you are connected with someone who supports your safety, and that you communicate with that person in a way that makes you feel quite and comfortable. I think the ultimate drive of Self-pres people is to feel like a fetus.

Interesting! I can definitely relate to striving for peace and centeredness.

B

brainheart

I can see a difference between myself and an sp dom, they seem more guarded and sometimes things like health and safety take priority to them above all things, to the point where it would bore me if I were like that.

yep. And I'll bring water and a snack, but not always enough- it's like the need is there, but I don't think it through fully or it doesn't come as automatically.

When people go on and on about sp-matters, like how they can't eat gluten cause blah blah or how awesome their curtains are, I get irritated, but I do have a mild interest in it- I like looking at home decor magazines, eating well. It's just not my life. I'd rather feel some intensity, some attraction.

G

Ginkgo

I have ever discussed that, but the ultimate drive of the self-pres instinct is to recreate the conditions of the intra-uterin life, where you are quiet,guarded, comfortable, totally at peace, and where all your needs are supported because you are connected with someone who supports your safety, and that you communicate with that person in a way that makes you feel quite and comfortable. I think the ultimate drive of Self-pres people is to feel like a fetus.

Hah. I actually used the uterus as an analogy not that long ago after the feeling I had of regaining my self-interest. When you feel that the entire world is available, and that fate itself will protect you, there exists equanimity. Did you come up with that yourself or was that plucked from your research?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I came up with that on my own.:)

B

brainheart

Sp wants to be a fetus. That's actually very helpful, thank you. What's an analogy for the other instincts? Analogies clarify things for me more than anything else...

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Speed Gavroche said:

Hell no. Relying on other people goes against my nature 100%, my aim is self sufficiency and reliance on no one, I am the one who will protect my safety. I am island!!

cascadeco said:
sp is absolutely about the self and looking at all aspect of ones' own health/self - physical, emotional, spiritual, what have you; particular focus would probably be dependent on ennegram in combo with mbti.

Amen.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about more relatable examples or analogies of sx? The ones that are described here are rather.... eh? It makes us sound rather "intense" and fiery, whatever that is.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hell no. Relying on other people goes against my nature 100%, my aim is self sufficiency and reliance on no one, I am the one who will protect my safety. I am island!!

It's not against your nature. You seek self-sufficiency because you want to be independant, but if you failed at this, you would automatically rely on those who nurish and sustain you.

sp is absolutely about the self and looking at all aspect of ones' own health/self - physical, emotional, spiritual, what have you; particular focus would probably be dependent on ennegram in combo with mbti.

Again, Self-pres are not the only to care about the self. So and Sx ae too, the difference is that Sp seek to sustain the self toward comfort and safety while So seek to sustain it tward a larger social sphere and Sx toward intensity and intimacy. Self-pres want to preserve the self, non self-pres care about the self too but not too "preserve" it.

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
It's not against your nature. You seek self-sufficiency because you want to be independant, but if you failed at this, you would automatically rely on those who nurish and sustain you.

Again, Self-pres are not the only to care about the self. So and Sx ae too, the difference is that Sp seek to sustain the self toward comfort and safety while So seek to sustain it tward a larger social sphere and Sx toward intensity and intimacy. Self-pres want to preserve the self, non self-pres care about the self too but not too "preserve" it.
I think what makes this difficult is that we can all tap into each instinct given a certain scenario. And if you're presented with a lot of different situations then :\ Like me I'm very confused. Unless that's just me.

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
I think what makes this difficult is that we can all tap into each instinct given a certain scenario. And if you're presented with a lot of different situations then :\ Like me I'm very confused. Unless that's just me.

Yeah, but just because everybody taps into each core type's defense mechanism given different situations does not mean that you don't have one core fixation.

I want to take care of myself as a self-pres last, but why? Because if I'm healthier for longer, I'll be youthful longer (SX) and be able to contribute my abilities to society for longer (SO). Self-pres takes care of itself in order to live comfortably. I take care of myself for other people, whether to stay with a significant other longer, to maintain my brain's condition so that I'll never have Alzheimer's or have to forget what would otherwise be my passion, or to stick around and watch my kids and their kids and their kids grow, or from a broader perspective of making a mark before I die.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I take care of myself because I want to be healthy on all levels (personal value?), because I want to live as long and as enriching a life as possible (I want to stay mentally agile and physically capable of hiking and such into my older decades, ideally), and because I know that when I'm not healthy, I make poorer decisions and also am not in a good position to have healthy relationships with other people. If I'm unhealthy, I get myself into unhealthy relationship dynamics AND I don't have the sorts of relationships that I want, nor that those other people would deserve. Makes for a bad recipe.

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
I take care of myself externally so I don't look disgusting LOLOLOL, but that probably applies to everyone. SP would seem last for me since I don't focus on it too much unless greatly disturbed--"There's not enough for me! I'm vulnerable!" Usually I focus on SX or SO things like certain individuals or individuals that affect a group... Strange, I feel like they equally affect the other.
I also should take into account whether I'm single or not. If I'm taken then my focus is solely on my significant other.

Nomenclature

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
3w2
I also should take into account whether I'm single or not. If I'm taken then my focus is solely on my significant other.

See, that's the thing. Regardless of whether I'm "officially" in a relationship, I always have one main person that I focus on and want to talk to all day. I mean, you know know that from our private conversations ("I've known him for all of 3 days." "3 DAYS?!?! I would've thought 3 years!"), that I can't imagine not having someone to whom I'm bonded that way, no matter how short-lived or recently forged it was.

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
See, that's the thing. Regardless of whether I'm "officially" in a relationship, I always have one main person that I focus on and want to talk to all day. I mean, you know know that from our private conversations ("I've known him for all of 3 days." "3 DAYS?!?! I would've thought 3 years!"), that I can't imagine not having someone to whom I'm bonded that way, no matter how short-lived or recently forged it was.
Looking back on my single life... I think I would bug my best friend over my frustrations with a guy I liked, and I'd usually hang out with the same two people.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Thank you for telling me who I am, clearly you know me better than I know myself.

Ps, you're wrong.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes people need other to realize how they truly are.

Kind of annoying all theses self-pres who always say "no no no, Sp is not about security it's only about the SELF" like "damn, horror, no I'm not an SJ!!!!".

Let me say the every stacks care about the self.

Sp want to preserve the self toward safety and security.
So want to extend the self belonging and empowering toward a larger entity.
Sx want to complete the self toward intimacy and intensity.

That's all.