• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My answers to Limit's questionnaire

G

Glycerine

I would say, just try a type on for size..... interact with people of similar types. If you can't relate to them on a basic level, then try on a different type.

Here's my story, I first picked INFJ and eventually thought I was trying way too hard to force Ni dominance on myself so ENFJ seemed the best fit because I have also had a strong Fe perspective tempered with Ni. I related to the other ENFJs at a very basic level but knew I was a bit odd so I tried on different enneagram types. The 9's seemed a lot more mellow/ laidback than I so it didn't really fit. Then I tried 3 but I realized that I am not very achievement oriented and I only somewhat care about my image. Then I tried six but I realized I hardly prepare for much and only truly fix problems as they arise and that my chronic sleep deprivation was exaggerating my paranoia and anxiety about things. At the end, I arrived at the conclusion that I was 5 because of the detachment thing and always needing a ton of information before deciding on anything. Also, I just really related to many of the INTXs posts even through my different way of processing information more than many of the XNFJs. I actually typed myself as INTP for a week. LOL

It will take time.... step back and see the full picture.

A

Anew Leaf

I agree with [MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION]. Try something on and go with it. There are plenty of people here who change their types on an hourly basis.

Look at:
  • ISFJ
  • ISFP
  • e9

I am officially done with the thread for now. I think you have enough information to start pulling together ideas.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Like I said, I'm not annoyed at any of this so don't feel the need to apologise. ;)

Needless to say, you can't simplify your own complex personality to fit "perfectly" with any one type.
And secondly, each of those 9 types are more complex than you seem give them credit for. The 9 "Peacemaker" is not always easygoing. I'm a 5. You might think we're all about detachment and observation. I avoid relationships and the slightest sign of interest from someone scares me. In actuality, I'm intrigued by relationships and can spend endless hours fantasizing, researching and observing. Deep down, I probably want to participate...but I don't think I'm competent/good enough and can't risk it. I'm not prepared. It's safer to not be involved. There will be times when I challenge myself and take part in something I've only just ever thought about. You'd think I was acting out-of-character when, in actuality, I'm still very much in-character.

The Enneagram Institute does a better job at explaining my point here:

http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/misid/

Funny, that sounds a lot like the standard Five description, including growth/development; I wouldn't say you're atypical, frankly. ;) In any case, I understand what you're saying - though I do consider myself more "neurotic" than "easygoing". But I digress, sir. :hug:

Maybe he's a different variant than you? He could be So or Sx and you could be Sp, which would make you more reserved. Don't rule out the possibility of being a 9 based on this alone.

That's possible - So/Sx for him comes to mind. :yes: However, descriptions tend to paint Sp-doms as the most easygoing of the Nines, which makes me doubtful. :thinking:

Haha, I've done this way too many times. :( It's not so bad though.

Anyways, something else I'd like to mention is that as a 9, I tend to take in a lot of other identities and roles that aren't necessarily me. I've always thought of myself as intellectual, but that's not really natural for me, it's more forced. And I don't really have to unique/individualist, although I would like to be. But something I absolutely must be, that's completely me, is that I must be pleasant and nice. That's something about me that I could probably never change, even if I wanted to. So while I could maybe pass off as a 4 or a 5, it's not the real me, it's would just be something I'm pushing myself to be.

That's a very good point. I can see arguments for and against such a tendency in myself...

I agree with [MENTION=5109]Glycerine[/MENTION]. Try something on and go with it. There are plenty of people here who change their types on an hourly basis.

Look at:
  • ISFJ
  • ISFP
  • e9

I am officially done with the thread for now. I think you have enough information to start pulling together ideas.

I had enough info about sixteen pages ago, I think, but I'm a stubborn lil' bugger. :laugh: Thanks for everything. :hug:

Silveresque

How about you make a list of everything you claim to be or would describe yourself as, and for each thing decide whether it's forced or natural? That's what I did, and it worked for me. It's interesting how many misconceptions I can develop about myself, and kind of liberating to be free of those misconceptions.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
How about you make a list of everything you claim to be or would describe yourself as, and for each thing decide whether it's forced or natural? That's what I did, and it worked for me. It's interesting how many misconceptions I can develop about myself, and kind of liberating to be free of those misconceptions.

Oooh, interesting! :)

I would describe myself as...

* Intellectual? --> A bit forced, especially nowadays, when university emphasizes debate and iconoclasm (my U, anyway). While I'm not a Harlequin junkie or anything, I think there are several "rabbit holes" that I don't feel as comfortable entering as some of my colleagues. Debate is a very weak point of mine. :( I also like fiction. :)

* Bookish? --> Not forced per se, but I'm far from a voracious bookworm. I need some peace of mind to read properly, and sometimes I think I kind of "try too hard" to understand a book (and feel ashamed when I don't). Also, looks like reading manga = -100 bibliophilia points. :frown:

* Shy? --> In some situations more than others. I usually shrink when facing people who are wise, or intelligent, or "important", or busy... People who are too extroverted or too standoffish have a similar effect. I also fear embarassment a lot.

* Kind/polite? --> I do my best to be nice to people, but sometimes my suppressed anger is palpable, and I get pretty annoyed at people who don't respect my boundaries... I can also be overly formal at times.

* Patient? --> Generally, yes; however, it's partly a kind of repression ("See? I have the stamina to do this! I'm totally not a worthless lump! :pumpyouup:"). I'm naturally inclined to wait for a bit, although extraneous factors (heat, cold, fatigue, running out of time) can make me prickly.

* Quiet? --> Yeah, most of the time, though I get very upset when I want to talk and people keep interrupting me. :mad:

* Thoughtful? --> ...Kinda. Sometimes I think about my values, my feelings, my actions, etc. And sometimes I simply let video game music loop in my head or think about the MBTI type of manga characters. :biggrin:

* Anxious? --> Less so when I'm alone, but social situations or human interaction can get me pretty nervous. I'm not exactly manic either, but sometimes the feeling of wanting to crawl into a hole is strong. :blush:

* Tolerant/passive? --> Partly repression, I think. Either I think my thoughts are foolish and unwarranted, or I think no one's gonna listen to me anyway. I sometimes wish I could do this more often:

lzveF.gif

Or maybe I don't have a strong preference either way. It varies. :shrug:

* Melancholy? --> Yes, but I try not to let it bring everyone down (results may vary). It's less "Life is sooo painful!!!" and more "I don't know what to believe anymore...".

* Loyal? --> I want to be, but I don't know if I could "go into the trenches" for someone... I don't want to be a fair-weather friend, but I also can't deny the fact that I'm pretty damn cowardly. :(

* Rigid? --> Pretty true. My dad calls me that, in any case, because I insist on doing some things by the book (either my book or someone else's). I also have a bit of OCD, I think. I can get icy when under stress. :dry:

Does that clarify a few things?

G

Glycerine

Some of those things could be accounted for by your MBTI type and just some unique quirks outside of theory. You are obviously going be a a bit different from an INFP 9, ESFP 9, INTJ 9, etc. :) I will stop pestering you now!

Silveresque

* Kind/polite? --> I do my best to be nice to people, but sometimes my suppressed anger is palpable, and I get pretty annoyed at people who don't respect my boundaries... I can also be overly formal at times.

You are so 9, especially with this bit here. I think you might as well accept it and make it official, and if you happen to decide on a different type later, so be it. Go ahead and claim your type! :)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
You are so 9, especially with this bit here. I think you might as well accept it and make it official, and if you happen to decide on a different type later, so be it. Go ahead and claim your type! :)

Could you elaborate here? The repressing (which is pretty conscious, mind you) seems a bit 1w9-ish as I described it here specifically, I think...

Oh geez, I'm doing it again... If I waffle any more, I'm going to be exiled to Belgium! :doh:

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
Funny, that sounds a lot like the standard Five description, including growth/development; I wouldn't say you're atypical, frankly. ;) In any case, I understand what you're saying - though I do consider myself more "neurotic" than "easygoing". But I digress, sir. :hug:
That's the thing - I didn't and wasn't trying to say I was atypical. You misunderstood that part. My point was that everyone of every type is more than their superficial description/image.

Silveresque

Could you elaborate here? The repressing (which is pretty conscious, mind you) seems a bit 1w9-ish as I described it here specifically, I think...

9's are all about repressing their negative emotions. Especially anger. We want to escape into "premature Buddhahood" instead of dealing with our negative emotions, so we repress them into our subconscious. We're also masters at the art of self-deception. We do the repressing so well, in fact, that we're often not aware we're doing it. We're like emotion-repressing self-deception ninjas. :ninja: Many 9's have a lot of repressed anger that they aren't even aware of due to self-deception, though an Sx 9 is probably more likely to be aware of it.

Here's how I picture it:

"Anger is bad" --> "I don't want to be bad" --> "I will never get angry" (repression) --> "I have no anger" (self-deception)

And that part of your response that I quoted before really reminds me of this:
Self-pres/Sexual

This subtype is self-effacing also, but is generally more assertive. They may be the subtype of Nine which is most aware of the boundaries between themselves and others and at the same time, possibly the most frustrated when those boundaries are violated. They can be aware of being walked over and they might even be aware of the anger it causes, but they become frustrated with their seeming inability to control this pattern. This is true, to some degree, of all Nines, but with the self-pres/sexual instinctual stacking, there seems to be a complex and interesting balance between the withdrawing energy caused by the dominant self-pres instinct and the assertive energy of the sexual instinct. This combination seems to raise consciousness of this dynamic.

Getting healthy for this subtype, and for all Nines, involves becoming aware of this dynamic and realizing they do have the power to control their boundaries. Part of this must come from the realization on the part of the Nine that they have invited this overstepping of their boundaries from others by not defining them.
Close relationships will usually work or not for this subtype depending on how well they deal with this issue.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
That's the thing - I didn't and wasn't trying to say I was atypical. You misunderstood that part. My point was that everyone of every type is more than their superficial description/image.

Ah, sorry. I understand what you mean now. :yes:

9's are all about repressing their negative emotions. Especially anger. We want to escape into "premature Buddhahood" instead of dealing with our negative emotions, so we repress them into our subconscious. We're also masters at the art of self-deception. We do the repressing so well, in fact, that we're often not aware we're doing it. We're like emotion-repressing self-deception ninjas. :ninja: Many 9's have a lot of repressed anger that they aren't even aware of due to self-deception, though an Sx 9 is probably more likely to be aware of it.

Here's how I picture it:

"Anger is bad" --> "I don't want to be bad" --> "I will never get angry" (repression) --> "I have no anger" (self-deception)

Hmmm... That sounds close, but slightly "off"... My repression is a bit more conscious than that and based partly on not knowing where to draw certain lines - disagreement/rejection, criticism/belittling, independence of thought/ingratitude, among others. That, and I highly dislike eating crow. :dry:

And that part of your response that I quoted before really reminds me of this:

Oh, I remember that one now. It resembles me quite a lot, although I think my barriers are somewhat more obvious on account of my relative aloofness. :peepwall:

Silveresque

Hmm...I wonder if you might actually be a 1 then (tentative suggestion). What do you think about this description: http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype1?

Although the type 1 descriptions generally overemphasize the morality aspect. My dad is 1w9, but I doubt he would relate much to a lot of the 1 descriptions because of that emphasis. In my opinion, I think 1's basic desire should be to be conscientious (to do things the right way), and the basic fear should be fear of being wrong (not necessarily in a moral sense).

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hmm...I wonder if you might actually be a 1 then (tentative suggestion). What do you think about this description: http://sites.google.com/site/upatel8/personalitytype1?

Although the type 1 descriptions generally overemphasize the morality aspect. My dad is 1w9, but I doubt he would relate much to a lot of the 1 descriptions because of that emphasis. In my opinion, I think 1's basic desire should be to be conscientious (to do things the right way), and the basic fear should be fear of being wrong (not necessarily in a moral sense).

Type One exemplifies the desire to be good, to live up to the highest ethical standards, and to effect positive changes in the world. While a number of types care about achieving goals, Ones are particularly aware of how they achieve their goals. Were they honorable? Did they use their resources wisely? Were they fair and truthful? Ones are people of high standards and they expect themselves and others to live by those standards as much as possible. They tend to see things in terms of long-range objectives, and they can be aware of how current actions might affect future situations. For example, Ones are often in the forefront of battles to improve environmental standards or to make people aware of healthier lifestyle choices.

Most Ones report feeling a powerful sense of mission, a deep feeling of purpose that they remember from their early childhood. They sense that they are here for a reason and, unlike some other types, they have a fairly clear idea of what that reason is. This sense of mission impels Ones to rise to their highest standards, to make personal sacrifices, and to evaluate themselves regularly to see if they are falling short of their ideals. They feel that they must live a balanced, sensible life in order to have the clarity and inner resources necessary to fulfill their purpose.

Ones also have deep convictions about right and wrong, what is just and unjust. They are often dedicated to reform and social causes since they feel personally obligated to improve the world and leave it a better place. They put themselves on the line for their values and ethical convictions—if it means risking their jobs, their fortunes, or even their lives. Ones are convinced that there are indeed some truths—some values—that are worth both living and dying for. To accomplish their missions, Ones maintain self-discipline and do their best to practice "moderation in all things."

While Ones focus their attention on serious life issues, their high standards can also be directed to less significant matters—although they may seem equally important to Ones at the time. They can become extremely upset, for instance, if their spouse or one of their children fails to clean up after themselves adequately after using the bathroom sink. Ones are nothing if not thorough and well organized. Some Ones express this as an extraordinary concern with "neatness," the kind of people whose socks and underwear are folded neatly, whose file folders are labeled and filed alphabetically, and whose pencils are all sharpened. Other Ones focus their perfectionism in other areas, such as punctuality, ethical standards, political or religious ideals, office protocols, or uncovering misdeeds and untruths.

While Ones tend to see themselves as people of logic and reason, they are often driven by strong feelings and impulses—usually experienced as personal convictions. Because they so strongly feel that they must accomplish their life mission, they conclude that they must be serious and determined and must not waste time. They can become very strict with themselves, feeling they must always be working toward their ideals, "making progress," and pointing out how things could be improved. They are extremely conscientious about how they use their time and resources. Under pressure, time becomes a major interpersonal issue for Ones—they insist that they and others be punctual, efficient, and particular about details. They make lists, organize things, and constantly prioritize their activities. Their sense of obligation, however, can make them feel heavier and more burdened. Consequently, they begin to be afraid of making a mistake because they want everything to be consistent with their strict standards. At such times, others can perceive them as overly rigid and perfectionistic.

In brief, Ones want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, and to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone. Ones do not want to be proven wrong, to make mistakes, to allow sloppiness, to be with people they perceive as lazy or not serious, to be in chaos or in situations that seem out of control, or to be embarrassed by emotional display.

Their Hidden Side
Ones appear well balanced and sure of themselves, but they can suffer from extreme self-criticism, feeling that they are never able to measure up to their Olympian standards. Similarly, they can feel lonely and alienated from others, seeing themselves as the only responsible adult around. At such times they feel burdened by their responsibilities and by the sense that others will not do as thorough a job as they will. If these feelings intensify, Ones can become harsh with themselves and others, and prey to hidden depression. They may attempt to maintain an outer attitude of self-control and reserve while inwardly feeling anguished and alienated. As they become more isolated, their self-criticism can become more cruel and irrational. Few casual observers would suspect how much they are suffering from the relentless attacks of their Inner Critic (superego).

I dunno about this whole "sense of mission" thing... I don't have the conviction to lift a spoon. :laugh:

Re: Ones like your dad --> I can be a bit of a stickler towards small things as well, like when I berated myself after passing my driver's ed exam for possibly forgetting to turn off my turn signal once. :nono: Still, I'm not that good with enforcing standards. :shrug: Or adhering faithfully to them, for that matter... :doh:

Silveresque

I dunno about this whole "sense of mission" thing... I don't have the conviction to lift a spoon. :laugh:

Re: Ones like your dad --> I can be a bit of a stickler towards small things as well, like when I berated myself after passing my driver's ed exam for possibly forgetting to turn off my turn signal once. :nono: Still, I'm not that good with enforcing standards. :shrug: Or adhering faithfully to them, for that matter... :doh:

I don't think the "sense of mission" necessarily applies to all 1's. Like I said, the 1 descriptions tend to overemphasize the moral aspects. Anyways, here are some distinctions between 1's and 9's:

Misidentifying Ones and Nines

Usually this mistype is caused by confusion about the wing and dominant type: is the person a Nine with a One-wing or a One with a Nine-wing? In some cases, with a strong wing, this can be a difficult call. Both can be idealistic, philosophical, and somewhat withdrawn. Neither feels comfortable with their anger. Usually, the Nine's reluctance to get into conflicts is the easiest way to discern these adjacent types. Average Nines want to maintain peace in their lives, and while they may hold strong personal convictions, they generally do not want to argue about them with people–especially people with whom they have an emotional attachment. For Ones, however, the principle is foremost, and Ones will drive home their point to convert the other to their view, even if it risks creating upsets and arguments. ("The truth is the truth.")

While Nines can be hard workers, it does not take much to convince them that a break would be useful. They enjoy down time, and tend to have difficulty shifting gears from relaxation to activity or vice versa. Ones are extremely driven and have difficulty tearing themselves away from their various projects to take a rest or relax. They feel anxious when they are not being productive (like Threes), and want to get back to work to avoid attacks from their superego.

Another distinction can be found in how the two types handle stress. Nines initially become more emotionally disengaged and resistant, but eventually become more anxious and reactive as they go to Six. Ones, initially become more fervent in their efforts to convince the other that they are right, but then collapse into moodiness and a tight-lipped testiness as they go to Four.

Here's another site that gives some distinctions: http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/04/enneagram-misidentifications-type-one.html

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I don't think the "sense of mission" necessarily applies to all 1's. Like I said, the 1 descriptions tend to overemphasize the moral aspects. Anyways, here are some distinctions between 1's and 9's:

Here's another site that gives some distinctions: http://pstypes.blogspot.com/2009/04/enneagram-misidentifications-type-one.html

Hmmm. Between both of these, 9 seems like the likelier choice - I'm not very confrontational, although my supressed anger can give the impression that I'm being critical sometimes. (This is especially true with my dad.) Plus, I kinda wish my work ethic was better - I'm usually dismotivated by my own neuroses and reveries. :(

Also, regarding the second link, anxious > moody, though they can look pretty similar.

Have I thanked you yet for all of this, RZ? :D If so, one more time won't hurt, right? ;)

(Also, note to self: must deal with INFP envy.)

Silveresque

I'm always happy to help. :)

Now, about your MBTI type...Have you looked at this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/23428-isfj-vs-isfp-vs-infp-one.html? That one covers some of the main differences between ISFJ's, ISFP's, and INFP's.

Here's another useful link: http://personalitycafe.com/nfs-temperament-forum-dreamers/9195-fe-vs-fi-holiday-test.html. This one offers a scenario and depending on what you would do or agree with, you could be a Fe user or a Fi user. It worked for me anyways.

G

Glycerine

I actually thought of something. Maybe your tritype is 9(gut) 4(feeling) 6 (head) or 964? Also, your wing can also play a strong role. So a 9w1 is going to some 1ish tendencies but 9 is still going to be dominant. That could explain your resonance with all those types. There are also many outside factors that could account for it. Your dad probably only sees certain things about you. My ESFJ dad thinks I am an overachiever, type A person.... which is only kind of true (because I get A's mostly but I consider myself a slacker who knows how to play the game).

Just random thoughts that came to mind... don't know if they will help but thought I'd share anyways. :)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'm always happy to help. :)

Now, about your MBTI type...Have you looked at this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/what-s-my-type/23428-isfj-vs-isfp-vs-infp-one.html? That one covers some of the main differences between ISFJ's, ISFP's, and INFP's.

Concerning that thread... Well, I don't know if I'm "quirky" enough to be an INFP, but I'm also uncertain about what kinds of "tangible ways [of nurturing]" (as addressed in OrangeAppled's post there) would qualify as especially ISFJ-ish in males (note that the thread was made primarily with women in mind, as stated in the OP). :thinking:

I'm kind of an odd bird, but it's less "Zooey Deschanel" and more "slightly OCD".

Here's another useful link: http://personalitycafe.com/nfs-temperament-forum-dreamers/9195-fe-vs-fi-holiday-test.html. This one offers a scenario and depending on what you would do or agree with, you could be a Fe user or a Fi user. It worked for me anyways.

Well, I'm not that much of a holiday person - it's nice to give people presents sometimes and all, but it can be quite a pain choosing gifts for relatives without asking them what they want... :shrug: That, and I'm a miser. Bwahahahaha! :devil:

Also, I can never remember birthdays. Good thing this forum has a list of, er, "birthdayees" on the main page. :doh:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I actually thought of something. Maybe your tritype is 9(gut) 4(feeling) 6 (head) or 964? Also, your wing can also play a strong role. So a 9w1 is going to some 1ish tendencies but 9 is still going to be dominant. That could explain your resonance with all those types. There are also many outside factors that could account for it. Your dad probably only sees certain things about you. My ESFJ dad thinks I am an overachiever, type A person.... which is only kind of true (because I get A's mostly but I consider myself a slacker who knows how to play the game).

Just random thoughts that came to mind... don't know if they will help but thought I'd share anyways. :)

I've discussed somwhere before the possibility of my tritype being [9w1/1w9] - [6w5/5w4] - [4w5/2w1] in some order.

It's kind of amazing how I used to type myself as a 5w4 and some people here have typed me as 2w1... :blink:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFP 9w1 Sx/Sp
perhaps?