• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

let's type my boss

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
she's a pain in the ass, so let's type her and then talk shit about her type.

just kidding.

i'm just having trouble typing her.

notable attributes:

- her energy is like a whirlwind. she comes in, fires off directions, and leaves. then she comes back to do it again.

- i'd type her ExTJ simply based on her frequency of directing, but she has no sense of organization. she's losing things constantly and her workspace is always a mess. i organize things and she comes through and fucks them up.

- someone noted today that she is unable to multitask. she starts one thing, then gets distracted and goes to the next, then the next, never cleaning up thing #1.

- she is quick to criticize, but does not associate her criticism with how you feel about her. she seems to separate work and personal relationship.

- on the bright side, she does ask nicely and thanks you when she's asking you to do something extra.

- she seems fun but i would not call her "warm".

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sounds ESTP to me
- confident
- high energy
- directing
- impersonal
- disorganized, but pragmatic and gets things done

Inconnue

MBTI Type
TiNe
Enneagram
E*TP for sure, I don't know whether she is a S or a N though, perhaps more S.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
ESFJ.

I'm thinking about this dude over here. We call him Lotso Huggin Bear from Toy Story 3. He's so nice and warm but is a train wreck with those he works with.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sounds ESTP to me
- confident
- high energy
- directing
- impersonal

Disorganized maybe - but not necessarily liking the mess. Just too busy too straighten it up - prioritizes time and activities like a J - would prefer that a lackey does the necessary grunt work of cleaning and straightening. I would rather like to know if this boss schedules her time, and if she tends to over-schedule. "Gets things done" is more of a J trait. I would believe the OP that this person is a J, and that only the S/N is in question.

The ENTJ does things with more flare [edit - also has an over-all mellower disposition than ESTJ], and has more external narcissism than the ESTJ. The latter does not care to do things with style, is less of a "peacock," and just likes to get things done.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- she is quick to criticize, but does not associate her criticism with how you feel about her. she seems to separate work and personal relationship.

- on the bright side, she does ask nicely and thanks you when she's asking you to do something extra.

- she seems fun but i would not call her "warm".

Manipulator. She knows how you feel about her, but doesn't care. Work comes before play. (Not a P.) She talks nice to you when SHE wants something. How easily we all fall for that superficial pretense of "liking" us as people and not as tools.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- i'd type her ExTJ simply based on her frequency of directing, but she has no sense of organization. she's losing things constantly and her workspace is always a mess. i organize things and she comes through and fucks them up.

I would describe this management style as "head up ass," but that does not qualify it as a disorganized P. There is simply too little time and too much to do, and she doesn't have the brains to simplify things. I'm guessing she will literally make things more difficult, even for herself. This has the effect of making her appear to be a "hard, task-oriented worker," at least to herself. The self-image is what counts here. We may see it as "head up ass" whereas she sees it as extremely diligent and competent maintaining of control over self and environment.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
sounds ESTP to me
- confident
- high energy
- directing
- impersonal

ExTP sounds like

edit: Yes, she sounds directive, so Se.

E*TP for sure, I don't know whether she is a S or a N though, perhaps more S.

i think we have a quorum.

ESFJ.

I'm thinking about this dude over here. We call him Lotso Huggin Bear from Toy Story 3. He's so nice and warm but is a train wreck with those he works with.

:laugh:

okay, one, that movie was DARK for a kid's movie. and lotso just made me want to cry. but that's hilarious. my mom's an ESFJ, though, i don't get the same kind of energy from her as i do from this woman, even when mom's stressed out and directive. unless she's like an ESFJ 8w7, and really low on the J side, which i suppose could be true but i would be sort of surprised for a J 8 to be low-J. because my boss basically of gets in her own way all the time. it would be totally counterproductive to 8's point. nah, i'm ditching 8.

Disorganized maybe - but not necessarily liking the mess. Just too busy too straighten it up - prioritizes time and activities like a J - would prefer that a lackey does the necessary grunt work of cleaning and straightening. I would rather like to know if this boss schedules her time, and if she tends to over-schedule. "Gets things done" is more of a J trait. I would believe the OP that this person is a J, and that only the S/N is in question.

i definitely see what you mean, but she actually likes the mess. or at least, she doesn't see it as a problem. i tried organizing something while she was there and she told me it was a waste of time and i should do something else. i explained to her that i was organizing because i couldn't find the materials i needed to do my job, and she just dug in the pile, handed me what i needed, and sent me away. she does schedule in terms of writing things down but she's not very effective at it... she constantly loses track of special requests and tends to miss details. this is why i hesitate with ESFJ or ESTJ - she's just not a detail-oriented person, at all. and if she's one of those two types, her Fe is spiky or her Te is counterproductive. it doesn't seem to add up.

The ENTJ does things with more flare [edit - also has an over-all mellower disposition than ESTJ], and has more external narcissism than the ESTJ. The latter does not care to do things with style, is less of a "peacock," and just likes to get things done.

haha this is true.

Manipulator. She knows how you feel about her, but doesn't care. Work comes before play. (Not a P.) She talks nice to you when SHE wants something. How easily we all fall for that superficial pretense of "liking" us as people and not as tools.

the interesting thing is that she's nice when she doesn't need something. like, she'll thank you when she's passing the job off on you because that's something off her back. she's very nice after work, and she's genuinely nice (not warm, really, but just nice) when she doesn't have something that she's worried about. it's just like, when she's got some task on hand, she cares about that task and couldn't really care less about you at the moment. the task takes priority. and then once the task is done or at least delegated she'll be nice again. i think she does genuinely care but she just gets distracted and concerned. she did feel very bad for someone when they had a tragedy happen in their family, so it's not like she's totally heartless.

she is pretty stereotypically bad boss. she reminds me of the boss in dilbert, except more energetic.

I would describe this management style as "head up ass," but that does not qualify it as a disorganized P. There is simply too little time and too much to do, and she doesn't have the brains to simplify things. I'm guessing she will literally make things more difficult, even for herself. This has the effect of making her appear to be a "hard, task-oriented worker," at least to herself. The self-image is what counts here. We may see it as "head up ass" whereas she sees it as extremely diligent and competent maintaining of control over self and environment.

:laugh: it's sooo head up ass. she does make things more difficult. it drives me nuts. i think you're totally right. she thinks she's in control and she thinks that others are hindering it because we're trying to do things that she doesn't see the importance of. she's concerned about some aspect that doesn't really impact anything but she's decided it's a priority, while i'm taking 20 minutes longer than necessary to complete my task because i can't find a damn pencil. (i've started bringing my own pencils, seriously).

i don't mean to hate on her so much, really, i just think she's very poorly suited to her job. i think she's a 7 on the enneagram, SLU?I and i'm thinking ESTP now, and being a group supervisor really just doesn't work out with her personality. i'm not sure how she got the job or why she stays, but she always seems in a bad mood. i wish she would change jobs for everyone's sake. i know we would be happier and i think she would be a lot happier, too.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i definitely see what you mean, but she actually likes the mess. or at least, she doesn't see it as a problem. i tried organizing something while she was there and she told me it was a waste of time and i should do something else. i explained to her that i was organizing because i couldn't find the materials i needed to do my job, and she just dug in the pile, handed me what i needed, and sent me away.

It's a mentally organized pile. She knows where she put it in the pile so don't mess with things or she will have to waste important time finding them. This description is just not unknown to me whatsoever. In fact, I live with this everyday. ESTJ. The time-constraint is important here, as well as priorities. It's that way for a reason.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the interesting thing is that she's nice when she doesn't need something. like, she'll thank you when she's passing the job off on you because that's something off her back. she's very nice after work, and she's genuinely nice (not warm, really, but just nice) when she doesn't have something that she's worried about. it's just like, when she's got some task on hand, she cares about that task and couldn't really care less about you at the moment. the task takes priority. and then once the task is done or at least delegated she'll be nice again. i think she does genuinely care but she just gets distracted and concerned. she did feel very bad for someone when they had a tragedy happen in their family, so it's not like she's totally heartless.

No, not totally heartless at all. Only relentless in pursuit of the goal. They can be quite congenial otherwise, but not, as you said, in a warm kind of way. There is a kind of rigid dichotomy between work and play.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a mentally organized pile. She knows where she put it in the pile so don't mess with things or she will have to waste important time finding them. This description is just not unknown to me whatsoever. In fact, I live with this everyday. ESTJ. The time-constraint is important here, as well as priorities. It's that way for a reason.

Edit - I should qualify this point a bit. You were messing with her personal pile (even if it's not all hers but a conglomerate of different things). She would like everything to be neat as a pin, but there's just no time. She will get around to straightening it up eventually, or she will send a lackey to do it, but it's not a priority.

All I can say is that it's about strategizing with time-constraints, and setting priorities. The idea that one can type according to personal neatness should be set aside. There is a structure to the mess, you just can't see it.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Disorganized maybe - but not necessarily liking the mess. Just too busy too straighten it up - prioritizes time and activities like a J - would prefer that a lackey does the necessary grunt work of cleaning and straightening. I would rather like to know if this boss schedules her time, and if she tends to over-schedule. "Gets things done" is more of a J trait. I would believe the OP that this person is a J, and that only the S/N is in question.i definitely see what you mean, but she actually likes the mess. or at least, she doesn't see it as a problem. i tried organizing something while she was there and she told me it was a waste of time and i should do something else. i explained to her that i was organizing because i couldn't find the materials i needed to do my job, and she just dug in the pile, handed me what i needed, and sent me away. she does schedule in terms of writing things down but she's not very effective at it... she constantly loses track of special requests and tends to miss details. this is why i hesitate with ESFJ or ESTJ - she's just not a detail-oriented person, at all. and if she's one of those two types, her Fe is spiky or her Te is counterproductive. it doesn't seem to add up.

I agree with you- most Js seem to be conscious of their mess, and see it as a problem but not priority #1. (Well this ESFJ slob I work with might be the exception), so yeah, maybe you have an ExTP on your hands. I don't tend to find a lot of them in Corporate America

rav3n

Don't know what type she is but she sounds like she's over her head. She appears to enjoy her perception of being a lynch pin but the reality is that she's a bottleneck. Are you her assistant?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with you- most Js seem to be conscious of their mess, and see it as a problem but not priority #1. (Well this ESFJ slob I work with might be the exception), so yeah, maybe you have an ExTP on your hands. I don't tend to find a lot of them in Corporate America

I think she's confusing "getting the job done" with "how the job gets done." The important thing for the J is getting from A to B. In the middle may be a pure chaos, but in the end B is achieved. And it only seems like pure chaos to you and me. To the boss, it is an achievement in the making.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The interesting thing about her responses to me is that she agrees with me almost all the time - and never about the ESTJ part. But I am precisely describing an ESTJ in action. Everything she agrees with me about describes the ESTJ. I just can't get across the fact that the structure of the Si is in the mind.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You've almost got it.