• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please help me figure out my MBTI type

exceltea

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I had to take this test back in college, and I have been giving it a lot of thought recently. Both then (2005) and today when I took the test, I scored as an INTJ each time. However, my sister insists I'm not an INTJ, and I didn't agree with a lot of the questions that were asked. I am a complete novice in this situation, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Maybe I am an INTJ after all, but I would like to get some personal feedback rather than just an online test.
Firstly, I know I am an introvert. I've been one my entire life. When I was younger I did not like to meet new people, and I only spent time with my closest friends. However, I do not seem to fit the normal bill of an introvert. I do not have any trouble with public speaking; in fact, I actually like it to some extent. As long as I have a non-personal topic I am discussing, I enjoy speaking in front of people knowing they do not know anything about me. I am also a reasonably social person. Like most introverts, I am quickly drained by social situations and I usually do not look forward to them. However, I have learned to find enjoyment in studying other people and their reactions to social situations, and well as reactions to social experiments I might perform on others. I love to study people and watch how they react. Basically, I'm an introvert that likes to pretend to be an extrovert.
I also noticed a lot of questions seemed to be based on how I react to an event - Do I tend to be spontaneous or methodical. I don't think I have feelings one way or another... maybe I'm not looking at the question correctly, but I don't feel strongly in this regard. Similarly, I noticed a few "adventure vs. stability" questions. But what if I like stability because it provides the opportunity for adventure? I like having a set schedule, knowing I can take a vacation away from it. I have traveled to many countries, and I love it, but I also like coming back home to a routine.
A few other points- I am an extreme perfectionist. I thought this, in itself, would be the largest determining factor in my personality type, but after doing research I noticed that there are many other types that perfectionists tend to lean towards, so I don't know where that puts me. I also noticed recently that I have a strong desire to be very important to my friends and family- for example, when a close friend of mine did not ask me to be in his wedding earlier this year, it was one of the most painful moments of my life. It's like I have some drive to have my friends all depend on me rather than anyone else.
I am not very creative - I do not play any instrument or have any artistic abilities. I do not consider myself a highly emotional person, at least outwardly. I am the youngest of a large family (I don't know why this is important, but it was asked on a couple of the tests, and people usually say that fact "explains me")

My Enneagram Personality Type results-
Type 1: -4
Type 2: 1
Type 3: 0
Type 4: 9 (!)
Type 5: 3
Type 6: -1
Type 7: 1
Type 8: -3
Type 9: -6

So, is it fair to say I am an INTJ? Is there any other research you would recommend for me?
Thanks in advance!

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I say ISTP. Something that struck me as most interesting was the fact that you enjoy stability because it allows for spontaneity. I feel like introverted intuition and extraverted sensing are playing in tandem here. I do think you're a T and your more recent need for someone to depend on you hints towards inferior Fe. That's what I see.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was actually going to guess INXJ. While there are enneagram type 4's who are T, it's far more common for them to be F. However you mentioned that you prefer discussing non-personal topics, something I see as being more consistent with T, particularly IT. The part about not being emotional outwardly also suggests INTJ is more likely. The part about feeling very hurt that your friend didn't ask you to be in the wedding could be suggestive of F but not necessarily. It could be like ReflettcelfeR said, indicative of inferior Fe, except I don't think you're ISTP as you strike as more J than P, especially the part below:

I also noticed a lot of questions seemed to be based on how I react to an event - Do I tend to be spontaneous or methodical. I don't think I have feelings one way or another... maybe I'm not looking at the question correctly, but I don't feel strongly in this regard. Similarly, I noticed a few "adventure vs. stability" questions. But what if I like stability because it provides the opportunity for adventure? I like having a set schedule, knowing I can take a vacation away from it. I have traveled to many countries, and I love it, but I also like coming back home to a routine.
A few other points- I am an extreme perfectionist. I thought this, in itself, would be the largest determining factor in my personality type, but after doing research I noticed that there are many other types that perfectionists tend to lean towards, so I don't know where that puts me.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I wanted to say IxFJ. I imagine that's where we'll end, but I suppose I wanted to mix it up a little. And I think INTJ's and ISTP's can look very similar even in thought process. Though more so with ENTJ's. And the comfortable speaking in front of crowds depending on the motivation could be Fe, or Se (If that gives you a kind of rush, hahaha).

For curiosities sake, which do you relate too most, if any: (They're from this website - http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Philosophical_Exegesis)

(Ni) focuses on what is inexpressible--the incommensurable and chaotic things that exist outside of any conceptual framework. For example, what do you hear in the theme-and-variations movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 131? There is a meaning there, but you can't put it into words. Any attempt to put it into words will result in only a tawdry parody of the reality. Better to remain silent. As an epistemological perspective, Ni leads you to view all signs as meaningless or even deceptive, not necessarily connected to what they're supposed to represent. The true reality is something that exists beyond all signs and appearances, and can only be apprehended by a kind of direct intuition. To learn truth, one must learn to see through appearances--to make contact with a reality that cannot be seen or said. As an ethical perspective, Ni leads you to hold yourself apart from and unaffected by the meanings that others attach to words and events--to keep your own vision pure and pursue your own path regardless of evidence, reasons, or the opinions of others.

or

(Ti) makes sense of the world by apprehending it in terms of effects emerging from a cause, or a harmony of elements. For example, the way a beautifully made desk appears to emerge from a single idea. As an epistemological perspective, Ti leads one to trust only things that you understand first-hand for yourself, preferably through direct, hands-on interaction. You must see for yourself how a given thing or subject makes sense. Knowledge must emerge from the concrete reality itself, not from preconceived categories or criteria, and the search for knowledge must follow wherever logic and the subject matter lead, regardless of how people feel about it. As an ethical perspective, Ti leads you to do what is best for the system regardless of reward or gain or social conventions that define right and wrong behavior. For example, the sense of "natural law" that guides Clint Eastwood to do what needs doing in Old West towns regardless of the law.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I say ISTP. Something that struck me as most interesting was the fact that you enjoy stability because it allows for spontaneity.

Yes, but the J allows for spontaneity. It's called PLANNED spontaneity. And in the description above, stability comes first.

Inconnue

MBTI Type
TiNe
Enneagram
There are planning perceivers (I am one of them) though we could argue that other facts (anxiety) made them a bit more Judging that they should be.
It would be nice to know what people mean by "planning" as well, I've noticed that people don't always talk about the same kind of planning.

At first, I thought that ISTP was a strange idea and I would have said I*FJ (I don't see much informations about intuiting/sensing in this post, we don't have much informations about the P/J dichotomy either, what I see is confidence and feelings) because of the part about the feelings, then I thought about my brother who is an ISTP and realised that he tends to be possessive with people he really love and is somewhat traditional in his conception of family, the description also indicate that ISTP have strong feelings (I actually wondered whether my brother was a T or a F sometimes).

Everyone is different, ISTPs are too often described as the sporty and adventurous type but it really depends on what they like, they are rather pratical but can also be good with theory (TiSeNiFe), they can be extremely sensitive as well, obivously. It probably depend on their age and how developped their various functions are.

You show confidence (more than extroversion, it's not unusual for introverts, they aren't necessarily shy or unable to talk in front of people, I actually work as a teacher and am an introvert) in areas which interest you which is stereotypically INTJ (but not limited to this type) and strong emotions but a thinking preference in the first part of your message.

studying other people and their reactions to social situations
reactions to social experiments I might perform on others
I love to study people and watch how they react

I've seen many other introvert thinkers who enjoy doing this, mostly females (yes, I'm stereotyping but I sometimes think that descriptions of types are gender biased and biased in general).

ISTPs can definitely be confused with INT*. My father is hard to type because he sometimes seem to be an ISTP and sometimes seems to be more of an INT* but is definetely an ISTP (who seemed a bit more extrovert when he was young and isn't very emotional, some people are more on the T end of the spectrum than others).

http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/istptype.html
http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/intjtype.html
http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/ <--- any other type.

You could also read about functions but sometimes they are confusing because to functions working together can immitate another.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are planning perceivers (I am one of them) though we could argue that other facts (anxiety) made them a bit more Judging that they should be.
It would be nice to know what people mean by "planning" as well, I've noticed that people don't always talk about the same kind of planning.

Planning is one thing, achieving closure is another. A plan exists primarily in the mind. I've known people who always had a plan of some sort, but nothing ever came of it. There was never any J-closure.

Inconnue

MBTI Type
TiNe
Enneagram
Planning is one thing, achieving closure is another. A plan exists primarily in the mind. I've known people who always had a plan of some sort, but nothing ever came of it. There was never any J-closure.

Agreed. And I think that part is usually not taken into consideration in tests or descriptions therefore most people consider planners to be Js, it's really easy to score as a Judger, I do it almost all the time because of the innacuracy of tests.

exceltea

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your help in this. I've given this topic a lot of thought lately.

For curiosities sake, which do you relate too most, if any: (They're from this website - http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Philosophical_Exegesis)

Introverted Sensation (Si) tunes you in to the chaos, unpredictability, and unknowability of the concrete world, leading you to value whatever few signs you can find that have stable meaning. For example, the stripes of tabby cats might hold a particular meaning for you, and you might come to treasure that. As an epistemological perspective, Si leads you to view anything from outside a familiar context as dangerous and untrustworthy. You are in tune with the fact that nearly all possibilities lead to destruction. For example, if you're designing an airplane, nearly all combinations of the variables fail. Of the possible combinations of wingspan, wing placement, wing shape, fuselage shape, and so on, there is only a tiny subset that make an aerodynamically workable plane--and then only if you get a whole lot of other things just right, too. All of life is like that, only much more complicated. We live only in the small islands of the world that we've grown up with and are suited to us. And we can't possibly know why these small islands are relatively safe. As an ethical perspective, Si leads you to protect the integrity of the things and signs that we depend on. This usually takes the form of setting up barriers against the unpredictable. For example, saving for a rainy day (hardships come at unpredictable times) or inspecting buildings for fire safety (so people can trust that "being inside a building" is a sign of safety against the elements). Within these barriers, where all is trustworthy and familiar, we can survive and enjoy what is precious to us--for a while.

Introverted Intuition (Ni) focuses on what is inexpressible--the incommensurable and chaotic things that exist outside of any conceptual framework. For example, what do you hear in the theme-and-variations movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 131? There is a meaning there, but you can't put it into words. Any attempt to put it into words will result in only a tawdry parody of the reality. Better to remain silent. As an epistemological perspective, Ni leads you to view all signs as meaningless or even deceptive, not necessarily connected to what they're supposed to represent. The true reality is something that exists beyond all signs and appearances, and can only be apprehended by a kind of direct intuition. To learn truth, one must learn to see through appearances--to make contact with a reality that cannot be seen or said. As an ethical perspective, Ni leads you to hold yourself apart from and unaffected by the meanings that others attach to words and events--to keep your own vision pure and pursue your own path regardless of evidence, reasons, or the opinions of others.

Introverted Thinking (Ti) makes sense of the world by apprehending it in terms of effects emerging from a cause, or a harmony of elements. For example, the way a beautifully made desk appears to emerge from a single idea. As an epistemological perspective, Ti leads one to trust only things that you understand first-hand for yourself, preferably through direct, hands-on interaction. You must see for yourself how a given thing or subject makes sense. Knowledge must emerge from the concrete reality itself, not from preconceived categories or criteria, and the search for knowledge must follow wherever logic and the subject matter lead, regardless of how people feel about it. As an ethical perspective, Ti leads you to do what is best for the system regardless of reward or gain or social conventions that define right and wrong behavior. For example, the sense of "natural law" that guides Clint Eastwood to do what needs doing in Old West towns regardless of the law.

Introverted Feeling (Fi) makes sense of the world by relating everything to universal human needs and callings. For example, understanding the actions of a bully as the expression of an unmet need to be connected and feel important. Understanding that, we can see the bully without judgement: we can see him as a living being not so different from ourselves, seeking to fulfill his needs just as we do, but in a way that creates unnecessary conflict. As an epistemological perspective, Fi leads you to take whatever a person thinks or believes as an expression of that person's unique nature--not to criticize it because it fails to live up to some externally imposed criteria like whether or not it's "logical" or "appropriate". As an ethical perspective, Fi leads you to act out of empathy regardless of the social status or "deservingness" of the beneficiary. Fi leads you to view all living things as equal in value, all needing to thrive in interpersonal harmony without giving up any of their uniqueness.

I found those descriptions very interesting to look over, but I didn't feel like there was one in particular that really stood out to me. To be honest, some of the language used here felt a little to philosophical or "wordy" to me, but it's given me a lot to think on. I highlighted some of the points that seemed to resonate with me- I'm sorry; it looks rather haphazard, but I didn't feel like there was a single one that described me.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************************** (29.1)
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************************ (36.6)
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.2)
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************* (25.9)
extraverted Thinking (Te) ************************************** (38.5)
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.1)
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************************** (29)
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************ (24.2)

(Side note - I really didn't like this one. I didn't feel the questions really applied to me. I think I answered 'neutral' for about 30% of the questions, and I only used 'heavy agree' or 'heavy disagree' once or twice. Therefore, I don't really trust the outcome of this particular test)

N 5
S 12
F 6
T 14

At first, I thought that ISTP was a strange idea and I would have said I*FJ (I don't see much informations about intuiting/sensing in this post, we don't have much informations about the P/J dichotomy either, what I see is confidence and feelings) because of the part about the feelings, then I thought about my brother who is an ISTP and realised that he tends to be possessive with people he really love and is somewhat traditional in his conception of family, the description also indicate that ISTP have strong feelings (I actually wondered whether my brother was a T or a F sometimes).

Everyone is different, ISTPs are too often described as the sporty and adventurous type but it really depends on what they like, they are rather pratical but can also be good with theory (TiSeNiFe), they can be extremely sensitive as well, obivously. It probably depend on their age and how developped their various functions are.

You show confidence (more than extroversion, it's not unusual for introverts, they aren't necessarily shy or unable to talk in front of people, I actually work as a teacher and am an introvert) in areas which interest you which is stereotypically INTJ (but not limited to this type) and strong emotions but a thinking preference in the first part of your message.

I've seen many other introvert thinkers who enjoy doing this, mostly females (yes, I'm stereotyping but I sometimes think that descriptions of types are gender biased and biased in general).

ISTPs can definitely be confused with INT*. My father is hard to type because he sometimes seem to be an ISTP and sometimes seems to be more of an INT* but is definetely an ISTP (who seemed a bit more extrovert when he was young and isn't very emotional, some people are more on the T end of the spectrum than others).

Thanks for your insight. I've given a lot of thought especially to the Introvert/Extrovert argument, and I agree completely with what you said. I feel like I'm a social Introvert. A lot of other introverts I have met in my life tend to be quiet, hard-to-reach people, and I can sympathize easily with them. However, I would not describe myself as shy, and I don't think I would ever be described as quiet. I'm pretty talkative, but once the subject turns personal, I find myself either outright lying or subtly turning the conversation back to safer topics. I like to listen to other people talk about their lives and their problems and their successes, but I don't want to reciprocate. However, that does make me a good listener :)
http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/istptype.html
http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/intjtype.html
http://morriscat.50megs.com/type/ <--- any other type.

You could also read about functions but sometimes they are confusing because to functions working together can immitate another.

These links were awesome, thank you. I'm beginning to feel like I'm stuck between ISTP and INTJ.

Taken from the ISTP link, these chosen passages almost seem like they were written for me:
They may, for example, be prone to unexpected bursts of humor, a take-charge attitude, or a sudden drive to fix whatever's broken. Such displays of involvement often confuse others, keeping them off guard -- which is exactly the way the ISTP feels most comfortable.

The motto, "Don't tread on me," could easily be of ISTP origin. It reflects that type in many ways. It could mean "Don't tread on me because I don't know how I'll react," or "Don't do it because I wouldn't think of doing it to you," or "Don't do it because it is a waste of time and energy."

Relating to ISTPs can be both fun and confusing -- fun because of their spontaneous, easygoing view of life, confusing because of their mixed communication messages. Because ISTPs alternate between enthusiasm over things of immediate interest to them and quiet reserve about other things, one can never predict which reaction to expect from them.

he or she may get an inner thrill or satisfaction in not behaving according to expectations, always remaining somewhat mysterious.

ISTPs' nature is to be quietly observing, collecting data on all things at all times. They do not think of themselves as watching in order to do something with the information; they are merely scanning the universe because it is part of their nature to want to take in all that is occuring.

ISTPs think each person should be afforded his or her own space (whatever it may be) and should enjoy or use that space according to individual tastes and desires.

When not involved in an enterprise or adventure of the kind that compels all their attention, ISTPs relax. They do not unwind by engaging in the kind of routine chores that other types may find both relaxing and worthwhile. As a result, life is one long relaxation to the ISTP, frequently interrupted by various exciting hands-on challenges to repair, understand, improve, or experience whatever comes along.

it's just that the ISTP has little need for the social activities. When the event is over, the ISTP may encourage a few close friends to linger, and it is there that he or she experiences the "real" party: a good time with a few carefully chosen people.

And, of course, there were many items from the INTJ site that I agreed with whole-heartedly:

As with other NTs, this independence often gives them an aura of arrogance that makes in-depth relationships develop slowly. At both work and play they can often seem aloof and sometimes argumentative. For INTJs, such behavior is simply the result of their attempt to stimulate the world around them. They can be stunned, even appear hurt, when others accuse them of being distant and seemingly uncaring, but it is, ironically, the INTJs' caring that has been the source of the provocation. They may even seem surprised at others' taking offense when their motivation was fostering improvement. Again, as with other NTs, INTJs learn by arguing, part of their continuing quest to understand the universe. The problem is that an INTJ's "friendly discussion" may be seen by others as hostile, even obnoxious behavior.

The same model drives all INTJ relationships: any relationship that's good today can be better tomorrow and both parties must be directed to constant self-improvement: learning, growing, confronting, and anything else that leads to mutual self-competency. As lovers, mates, and companions, INTJs must be ever improving. When thwarted in this quest, they can become critical and often depressed over the seeming stagnation.

An INTJ's home reflects his or her current conceptual pursuits. Theoretical and practical books abound. To a casual visitor, the home may seem neat, but its more private corners reflect a series of half-started projects, collections of mementos, and an assortment of potential challenges: a guitar to be mastered, a file to be organized, a household repair to be made. Dreams and visions are the INTJ's form of relaxation. Unfortunately, seemingly ambitious plans may go unfilled if the INTJ falls into the trap of being seduced by the intellectual excitement of the plan without ever getting to the actual hands-on accomplishment. Such a dilemma sets them up for self-criticism, which leads, in turn, to frustration and depression.

As highlighted above, probably the most important item I noticed in the INTJ description was the constant need for self-improvement. I don't feel a strong desire to improve the world around me- my house, or a financial situation, etc. but I am always striving to make myself better- learning a new language, or how to juggle, learning how to deal with other people better, even moving fairly often to get a fresh perspective on things. Anytime I'm stuck in a situation where I feel like I haven't been making any improvements to my life, I become pretty disappointed in myself.

Once again, thanks to all of you for your time and help with this!