• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Type is Haight?

What Type is Haight?

• Total voters

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Alright. . . it's go time! . . . just kidding.

First, a little background:

I was originally tested around 21 by a friend of mine who was in a psych PhD. program and wanted to use me as a testing guinea pig for her Jungian theory class. And after a very long test and a series of oral questions . . . she declared that I was an INTP, told me what that meant, and I filed it away for a few years - although it struck me as an excellent explanation for why I am the way I am. Additionally, I recall feeling relieved that there were other poor souls that were suffering the same fate as I.

A couple of years past, then ran into typology again via a book. I took the test at the end of the book. . . and scored an INTP with a weak P. Next stop, I was working on a research paper where I was attempting to make a connection between personality types and political positions (along with a few other things), found the site, took several tests. . . started scoring either INTP with a weak P, or INTJ with a weak J. And that trend has continued up to the present.

Last bit of information: When I take the Cognitive Processes test, my P/J has fallen 51/49 to the J-side the last few times. And - this probably explains my interest in playing sports throughout my life - I'm a very strong N, I, & T, but I have a highly developed Si and Se as well.

With all of that, I bid you luck. Because I believe the answer is complicated, although the question seems rather simple: What is the difference between an INTP with a weak P and an INTJ with a weak J?

Good luck. And thanks for your help. :)

heart

heart on fire
INTP with developing Fe shadow. Or so says this INFP with prickly, irritating Te shadow...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I ultimately ended up going by what I scored first, which is INTJ.

The theory part can make you lose perspective. so maybe you should do the same?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Alright. . . it's go time! . . . just kidding.

First, a little background:

I was originally tested around 21 by a friend of mine who was in a psych PhD. program and wanted to use me as a testing guinea pig for her Jungian theory class. And after a very long test and a series of oral questions . . . she declared that I was an INTP, told me what that meant, and I filed it away for a few years - although it struck me as an excellent explanation for why I am the way I am. Additionally, I recall feeling relieved that there were other poor souls that were suffering the same fate as I.

A couple of years past, then ran into typology again via a book. I took the test at the end of the book. . . and scored an INTP with a weak P. Next stop, I was working on a research paper where I was attempting to make a connection between personality types and political positions (along with a few other things), found the site, took several tests. . . started scoring either INTP with a weak P, or INTJ with a weak J. And that trend has continued up to the present.

Last bit of information: When I take the Cognitive Processes test, my P/J has fallen 51/49 to the J-side the last few times. And - this probably explains my interest in playing sports throughout my life - I'm a very strong N, I, & T, but I have a highly developed Si and Se as well.

With all of that, I bid you luck. Because I believe the answer is complicated, although the question seems rather simple: What is the difference between an INTP with a weak P and an INTJ with a weak J?

Good luck. And thanks for your help. :)

The problem with a P/J split is it makes a totally different function extraverted...so the two should feel quite different to outsiders.

INTP has the perceiving function extraverted, so others will see Ne.
INTJ has the judging function extraverted, so others will see Te.

So.... get some descriptions of Ne and Te and ask people who know you well which they see most on the surface..(or indeed try to self assess it)

(this approach might help you if you can't in itself split the two directly as it approaches it from a different angle)

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Honestly, I always thought you were an INTJ.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
So.... get some descriptions of Ne and Te and ask people who know you well which they see most on the surface..(or indeed try to self assess it)

I'm a little confused. Isn't determining his type more about looking at descriptions of Ti (dominant function of INTPs) and Ni (dominant function of INTJs) rather than the auxiliary functions of Ne and Te?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Development of this function tends to come later in life (about midlife) after you have grown and feel comfortable with the dominant and auxiliary. As you grow and develop, you learn that there is a time and place to use your third and fourth functions. About this time, the question arises in life, is this all there is? The tertiary function can guide you toward areas of your life you have avoided, areas that require skills you do not feel comfortable using. For example, a Thinking type with tertiary Intuition may begin taking literature courses. A Thinking type with tertiary Sensing may begin doing carpentry or weaving.

My MBTI Personality Type - Understanding MBTI Type Dynamics - The Tertiary Function

This might explain it, notta.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I'm a little confused. Isn't determining his type more about looking at descriptions of Ti (dominant function of INTPs) and Ni (dominant function of INTJs) rather than the auxiliary functions of Ne and Te?

The reason I suggested picking out the extraverted function is because it might help with the split - after all, the extraverted function is what everyone sees most because it is how they interact with the world. That's why an INFP and an INTP may feel similar on the surface (spacey, basically), and only really distinct in a medium that lets you get at the inner them (like a forum that accesses their thoughts/feelings), and by the same measure an INTJ and ISTJ may feel similar on the surface (a bit cold, logical)

So... to bring this together, an INTJ has Te on the surface for people to see, and an INTP has Ne on the surface for people to see. The dominant functions are introverted and only accessible with difficulty for anyone but Haight.

I don't deny that it's worth trying to get at whether one of Ti or Ni is what dominates for Haight's own "self", but given the difficulty he is having on the P/J split, it's worth recognising that the PJ split is the one (and the only one) that changes the type of function that is on the surface and extraverted for people (like you) to see (as P puts the S/N on the surface, and J the T/F on the surface).

As an aside, with an extravert it's easier of course, because the extraverted function would also be the dominant one.

Hope that helps!

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
So... to bring this together, an INTJ has Te on the surface for people to see, and an INTP has Ne on the surface for people to see. The dominant functions are introverted and only accessible with difficulty for anyone but Haight.

Ah yes. That helps a lot. In that case, I think he displays the very organized and logical Te rather than Ne. Although he's searching for hidden meanings and examining lots of possibilities, I don't think that people can see this.

So INTJ it is! Yes!

ygolo

My termites win
Ah yes. That helps alot. In that case, I think he displays the very organized and logical Te rather than Ne. Although he's searching for hidden meanings and examining lots of possibilities, I don't think that people can see this.

So INTJ it is! Yes!

Can't he stay INTx?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Take the Cognitive Functions assessment...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, I didn't know that.

Well, he does have the smart-assery that is more common in the INTJs around here than the dryness of INTPs, but he once implied I was stupid. :cry:

heart

heart on fire
Does he have a "book pile" either by the bed or his favorite chair? It seems to me that most Ne would people have a book pile, probably in both places. Never know when you're going to need your most important reference materials ... plus notebooks with lots of scattered bits of info scrawled down

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Does he have a "book pile" either by the bed or his favorite chair? It seems to me that most Ne would people have a book pile, probably in both places. Never know when you're going to need your most important reference materials ... plus notebooks with lots of scattered bits of info scrawled down

I don't find him to be scattered at all. When we moved in together, he had a ton of books and was pretty eager to buy bookshelves. Then he didn't want me to put them on the shelf because there is a special way that he likes to group them. :huh:

ygolo

My termites win
I don't find him to be scattered at all. When we moved in together, he had a ton of books and was pretty eager to buy bookshelves. Then he didn't want me to put them on the shelf because there is a special way that he likes to group them. :huh:

Well that seems J to me.

heart

heart on fire

Oh I have book shelves but I have to have my most important books (just a few like 20 to 25 of them at the most probably) by the bed for emergencies.