• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curious INTx trying to figure out the "x" part

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've spent countless hours reading threads on MBTI central and reading self profiles of both INTPs and INTJs and i just can't figure it out. I read in one of the threads that INTx was a myth but i'm really not sure as to my preferences. Finding out is starting to become more of a burden than it's worth to my curiosity but i know i'm just gonna get more curious later once i stop for a while and i'll once again try to figure it out. I finally got fed up and figured that my best bet is to register and ask you guys. So... Any of you want to lend me your expertise to figure this out? Maybe ask me a question that might distinguish my J or P behavior and i'll answer it as accurately as possible?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
J strives to bring structure, control, and closure to their surroundings, P prefers to keep things open ended and adaptable, they prefer to "wait and see"

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
That seems to be too vague to me. I can definitely see myself doing both. I'm always thinking of possibilities and what could go wrong when an event is planned, always having various backup plans, and i'm usually concerned with doing everything quickly and efficiently. I alternate through periods of extreme organization and extreme disorganization although even when things are seemingly disorganized they are still in their "correct" place (i'll become angry if they're moved cause then i can't find them). I'm very open minded and really like to listen to other people's views and opinions (even if to me they're clearly delusional). I guess i like to see what factors influence their decisions. Also i don't much care for religion at all and it really bothers me to discuss such subjects as politics and religion with so many different variables to influence people's decisions.

When unexpected things happen i'm adaptable and don't mind surprises (I usually have a backup plan anyway). I don't really like being the group leader but i'll have no problem taking over if the leader is incompetent, but only if i have to. I'd rather just do things individually and independently whenever i can. I have confidence that i can accomplish most anything i want to do. I never try to manipulate others but i'm always highly aloof of others' motivations and manipulation attempts.

Last edited:

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Yello

One prime focus of INTJs is their Dom Ni, making them future-oriented and not likely to rush through the possibilities of their visions/ideas until they are certain into which they'd narrow them down. They'd then extravert their visions/ideas through their Secondary CP Te to create structure and organize them to others or to organize and structure the thoughts of others if they've been found illogical (or to help them etc).

There are plenty of threads for you to bounce around in regarding both Types. I don't know how long you've been studying MBTI but take a looksee through the CPs (Cognitive Processes). Perhaps once you've understood them better, you can better apply it to narrowing your type down. :D

Here's an INTJ site I adore and you can take the CPs from all Types and apply them to the INTJ descriptions in the Interactions page. Read through the INTJ descriptions and if they don't match, try (once you know the CPs better) to test out the INTP's CPs. Good luck.

Grayscale. INTJs (INFJs too) like the "wait and see" too which can sometimes lead to procrastination erm if they can't narrow down their visions/ideas in order to Te (or Fe) them out to the world. :doh:

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
DeliriousDisposition, thank you for your post. Briefly reading through the page you pasted i already found something that resonates very true for me. It's regarding the "Demonic" function, the one we most want to avoid. It says...

"(Introverted Sensing) It's the domain of past experience; of history; of recorded sensory impressions in our memory. It's common for INTJs to have a distorted or vague sense of their own past. Sometimes it's colored with false memories of good times or bad times."

I don't much care for the past and for that reason i don't really tend to recall many of my memories unless i really concentrate. It's quite annoying for me for instance, when my girlfriend asks me if i remember something that happened before that she (an ENFP) vividly remembers, and i have to concentrate heavily to even maybe remember. It's just not that important to me.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You sound a lot like me. I was torn between INTP and INTJ at first too, because my Se is pretty weak...but I eventually stumbled across ISTP, which can heavily resemble both types in some (mostly different) ways. Anyway, you know, just putting that out there in case you want another option to confuse things further. :D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
INTJ Ni Te Fi Se

INTP Ti Ne Si Fe

Se - extraverted Sensing
Experiencing the immediate context; noticing changes and opportunities for action; being drawn to act on the physical world; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing “what is”.

Si - introverted Sensing
Reviewing past experiences; “what is” evoking “what was”; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been.

Ne - extraverted iNtuiting
Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change “what is” for “what could possibly be”; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts.

Ni - introverted iNtuiting
Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing “what will be”; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols.

Te - extraverted Thinking
Ordering; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not.

Ti - introverted Thinking
Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision.

Fe - extraverted Feeling
Connecting; considering others and the group—organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others.

Fi - introverted Feeling
Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.

Cognitive Processes

What do you think now?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Grayscale. INTJs (INFJs too) like the "wait and see" too which can sometimes lead to procrastination erm if they can't narrow down their visions/ideas in order to Te (or Fe) them out to the world. :doh:

but the end is to reach some sort of closure and structure, no? a "P" would not want to "narrow things down"

"P" types "wait and see" because things will pan out and structure will create itself from the inside out... not usually in such a well-structured way as a "J" approach, but something!

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Very quick and very dirty analysis:

I'm always thinking of possibilities and what could go wrong when an event is planned,
Multiple possibilities associated with what could go *wrong* : Shadow Ne.

always having various backup plans, and i'm usually concerned with doing everything quickly and efficiently.
Contingency planning and concern with efficiency: Te.

I alternate through periods of extreme organization and extreme disorganization although even when things are seemingly disorganized they are still in their "correct" place (i'll become angry if they're moved cause then i can't find them).
Unstable and rigid relationship with physical environment: Inferior Se.

I'm very open minded and really like to listen to other people's views and opinions (even if to me they're clearly delusional). I guess i like to see what factors influence their decisions.
Interest in other points of view even when they are "clearly wrong": Ni.

I could go on, but I'm lazy and I've made my point anyway :tongue: You sound clearly INTJ to me *in this post*. Just one non-professional opinion.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
but the end is to reach some sort of closure and structure, no? a "P" would not want to "narrow things down"

"P" types "wait and see" because things will pan out and structure will create itself from the inside out...
DomNis wait and see because things will pan out and structure will create itself from the OUTside IN ;)

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz

"P" types "wait and see" because things will pan out and structure will create itself from the inside out... not usually in such a well-structured way as a "J" approach, but something!

:D

I just wanted to play with you, Gray. :ninja:

Oh, and you're very welcome Fuent~ So far, you do seem INTJish... but you may just be an INTP yet. :D

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
DomNis wait and see because things will pan out and structure will create itself from the OUTside IN ;)

exactly what im getting at... J seems to strive to create structure where it would not have existed before, and many times a degree of that structure is reached as a result.

P is more open-ended, "meh, it will happen like it happens!"

:D

I just wanted to play with you, Gray. :ninja:

*throws a dodgeball at DD*

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm trying to carefully compare and contrast each of the cognitive processes for INTP and INTJ. I'm curious to hear more from Randonimity cause i had heard the "maybe ISTP" argument before on another thread. One of my best friends is an ISTP and we get along extremely well. He's much more of a partier than me though. He usually wants to go out and do things much more than i want to. I like exciting experiences but i find that most of the time going out with other people around my age (19) is more trouble than it's worth because of their lack of foresight into problems that WILL arise in their poor planning. I'm not saying i like to plan things, but it's very annoying to waste time on stupid oversights.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
i can dig it *throws a dodgeball at DD*

Ah, how that somewhat, just a little teenie tiny bit scares me...

I can dig it.
:run:

I am even more scared that you might've intuited that I'd be scared so you altered your words @__________________________________@

:peepwall:

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
maybe it's all in your head, or maybe the stepping stones do exist and you're just a few steps behind...

anyways, it's not nice to add stuff to the quote boxes that i didnt say

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
exactly what im getting at... J seems to strive to create structure where it would not have existed before, and many times a degree of that structure is reached as a result.
Ni does not create structure: it FINDS it ;)

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Another one of my best friends is an INTP. He didn't really care much about school but he managed to get mostly Bs. I never noticed how smart he was until i started having in depth conversations with him. We have a lot in common, our sense of humor is identical, we are both very skeptical of everything, and he mostly agrees with my opinions. This is part of what makes me think i'm INTP. He is though, a lot more disorganized than me(i'm talkin no clean floor to step on in his room) and he barely cares about his physical appearance. I'm not gonna stand in front of the mirror for an hour or anything but i at least want to look presentable because i know it's important for the outside world. I'm a lot more concerned about my health than he is. We both tend to avoid conflict but have no problem putting someone in their place if need be. I think i'm a lot more considerate of other people's feelings than him too.