• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Curious INTx trying to figure out the "x" part

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
maybe it's all in your head, or maybe the stepping stones do exist and you're just a few steps behind...

anyways, it's not nice to add stuff to the quote boxes that i didnt say

You will not fool Ni....Ni knows all!

If I did add, which I didn't, I'd have added as I pleased, but I didn't.... Oh, what the hell! I loathe you =/ and your new Avatar too!! :ninja:

@ Fuent. I'd say there is a lot of difference between INTJs and INTPs. Once you know the CPs a bit better of both Types and how you'd access them of whichever Type you are, it'll become easier in figuring it out and learning as to how you can better develop yourself (if that's your aim too).

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Regarding the tertiary function in INTJs (Fi) and INTPs (Si), what are some examples on how that would come out? I hang out with my INTP friend a lot and i'm sure if i had a concrete example of how that makes the thought process differ in both types i'd be able to distinguish which i am. As i mentioned before, i don't much like to go through my mind and rememeber past experiences but i do think that experiences are invaluable to my general wisdom and even if i don't remember details, the overall impression and valuable usable information remains.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
Regarding the tertiary function in INTJs (Fi) and INTPs (Si), what are some examples on how that would come out? I hang out with my INTP friend a lot and i'm sure if i had a concrete example of how that makes the thought process differ in both types i'd be able to distinguish which i am. As i mentioned before, i don't much like to go through my mind and rememeber past experiences but i do think that experiences are invaluable to my general wisdom and even if i don't remember details, the overall impression and valuable usable information remains.

Well, there are tons of info on the web and even on this site. But I think it might help you better to start at the beginning? Such as with learning about INTJs' Ni Te and INTPs' Ti Ne? If you can see how they use those CPs as it's their strongest (esp. their 1st and the 2nd is how they extravert them), it might narrow it down.

Here is some info on how Tertiary Temptation when one becomes trapped by their 3rd CP and bypasses the 2nd CP, and once we realise how to return to using our 2nd CP in order to help us move forward again. The overall wiki is pretty interesting too.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
As i mentioned before, i don't much like to go through my mind and rememeber past experiences but i do think that experiences are invaluable to my general wisdom and even if i don't remember details, the overall impression and valuable usable information remains.
You INJ you :tongue:

Anyway: what are you more likely to do: indulge in a trip down memory lane (nostalgia), or muse over what/who you value in life?

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz

Anyway: what are you more likely to do: indulge in a trip down memory lane (nostalgia), or muse over what/who you value in life?

And you mean the future too, right? :blink: And what you'd like to envision or create or implement in the future? Or....:blink:

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
My girlfriend (ENFP) always complains that i'm really bad at playing her "what if..." and "in the future when this happens..." game. It's quite a habit of hers to explore those possibilities and want to share them with me and ask what i think but i guess i never answer the way she would want me to. I usually just give her a very short decisive answer or i tell her that there's no way to know for sure because there are too many variables and don't answer at all. I don't know if this helps you guys.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP

Muse over what i value. Definitely. No question about it.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
My girlfriend (ENFP) always complains that i'm really bad at playing her "what if..." and "in the future when this happens..." game. It's quite a habit of hers to explore those possibilities and want to share them with me and ask what i think but i guess i never answer the way she would want me to. I usually just give her a very short decisive answer or i tell her that there's no way to know for sure because there are too many variables and don't answer at all. I don't know if this helps you guys.
Sure does. She's asking you to play Ne, and you can't. No way you can be an INTP then, as they have Ne as Auxiliary. An INTP would LOVE to play "what if" with their loved one, as this is precisely the function they are most likely to use to show their caring to the people they love ;)

A remote possibility is that you want to "play Ne" in a Ti way while she wants to do it in an Fi way, but that's really not what it sounds like from what you say.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
He was asking Si or Fi, darling ;)

keke That's what I get for not bothering to go back to Si-check and just rely on what my faulty Si recalls, eh? :doh:

I kinda like my Si being faulty, though... I get to create my own recollections to suit me... :blush:

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I rarely ever think about the past unless i'm trying to figure out how i made a mistake and how i could have prevented it so it wouldn't happen again. It's usually a fairly recent memory, and it is "discarded" (more like put in a difficult to access place) once i have extracted the valuable and usable information from it. I rarely take a trip down memory lane to remember past experiences so i can feel happy or something; i don't tend to think about things in the past from years ago or even months. Sometimes i can't remember what i did yesterday, nor do i care.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
I rarely ever think about the past unless i'm trying to figure out how i made a mistake and how i could have prevented it so it wouldn't happen again. It's usually a fairly recent memory, and it is "discarded" (more like put in a difficult to access place) once i have extracted the valuable and usable information from it. I rarely take a trip down memory lane to remember past experiences so i can feel happy or something; i don't tend to think about things in the past from years ago or even months. Sometimes i can't remember what i did yesterday, nor do i care.
* Negative focus on past events.
* Extraction of principle and discarding of the memory itself.
* Shallow factual memory.

Typical of INJs.

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sure does. She's asking you to play Ne, and you can't. No way you can be an INTP then, as they have Ne as Auxiliary. An INTP would LOVE to play "what if" with their loved one, as this is precisely the function they are most likely to use to show their caring to the people they love ;)

A remote possibility is that you want to "play Ne" in a Ti way while she wants to do it in an Fi way, but that's really not what it sounds like from what you say.

In general i have a lot of trouble giving people straight answers sometimes. It's hard for me to take people seriously sometimes. When she plays this "game" with me i just get annoyed sometimes because i can't believe she's serious a lot of times. She puts forth strange scenarios that are highly improbable and while i'll cooperate with her for the serious scenarios, i don't much care to humor her on the improbable and just plain silly.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
In general i have a lot of trouble giving people straight answers sometimes. It's hard for me to take people seriously sometimes. When she plays this "game" with me i just get annoyed sometimes because i can't believe she's serious a lot of times. She puts forth strange scenarios that are highly improbable and while i'll cooperate with her for the serious scenarios, i don't much care to humor her on the improbable and just plain silly.
An INFJ would probably care more about humoring people, but the feeling would be the same.

I want to point out that she IS being "serious", though: she's DomNe, and as such playing "what if" is of extreme importance for her. She doesn't necessarily "believe" in most of those scenarios, but exploring them is what she craves.

DomNe vs DomNi: that's bound to create conflicts every once in a while. But on the other hand, that's also bound to bring amazing insights of wisdom and balance to the two of you when you work in tandem :)

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
You guys are convincing me more and more of my Jness with every post. I really appreciate your insights. Looking back through my faulty memories, i realize now the possibility that my INTP friend and i are more different from each other than i thought. He's more self focused than i am, although i'm also pretty self focused. Also, i find his philosophy on dating really funny. He has no interest in dating because he thinks women are treacherous and you must watch out for their tricks; he figures he's inevitably gonna get married later so he shouldn't worry about it now. He also doesn't like the concept of a girlfriend having some control over him (Very INTPish methinks).

I read somewhere though that INTPs and INTJs don't necessarily get along, yet we get along extremely well. We seem to understand each other very well. I don't know if what i read was wrong or what. Your thoughts?

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Also, i find his philosophy on dating really funny. He has no interest in dating because he thinks women are treacherous and you must watch out for their tricks; he figures he's inevitably gonna get married later so he shouldn't worry about it now. He also doesn't like the concept of a girlfriend having some control over him (Very INTPish methinks).
Inferior Fe :rolleyes: He'll get over it - in a decade or two :laugh:

I read somewhere though that INTPs and INTJs don't necessarily get along, yet we get along extremely well. We seem to understand each other very well. I don't know if what i read was wrong or what. Your thoughts?
People are individuals. Some types may *in general* have more problems interacting than some other types, but that doesn't mean that specific people of those types won't sometimes get along famously.

INFPs and INFJs can be like fire and gunpowder, and yet I've met several people online who were in a happy INFP-INFJ marriage.

If you two guys happen to mostly agree on intellectual matters, then you would have a rather easy time getting along together, since you are both NTs. It's what happens when INTPs and INTJs disagree that gets problematic, because they then tend to approach the discussion from very different positions, so that not only they don't agree on the facts, but they don't even agree on how the facts should be determined and examined!

Fuent

MBTI Type
ENTP
I just texted my INTP friend and said, "You and i are not as alike as i once thought. You INTP. Me INTJ."

Of course, well knowing that i was talking about MBTI and me thinking i was INTP he replies, "Makes sense because we are different."

Is that not classic INTP?

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Is that not classic INTP?
Yup: will see the difference, but will not draw a definite conclusion from it. Once someone else draws the conclusion, though, will have no problem recognising its validity because it was always a possibility anyway.