• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help me figure out my type?

Lucky Squirrel

So I feel a little tiny bit awkward posting this so soon after joining, but hey--typing it out will be helpful to me at least, so here we go. I've been interested in the MBTI for years and years, and always have assumed that I was an INFJ, but, well I've realized lately that that assumption may have been based on what I thought I should be rather than what I actually was, so I've been taking as many tests as I could get my little virtual fingers on, and have gotten probably a billion different results (alright, not a billion)- basically anything with an N in it. I figure for maximum readability it would be better to go about this letter by letter, so here goes.

E/I- I always assumed I was as introverted as they come, but really thinking about it I may just be shy/ socially anxious. Now that the old anxiety is well medicated I find that being around other people doesn't actually stress me out, probably because, shock, I'm not absolutely terrified. Go figure. Anyway, I definitely get energized from social interaction, but I don't always parley that energy into more social interaction, if you know what I mean...I'll go out and talk and meet people and whatever, and then go home and try to get something done...not that I ever actually do. I also think better when I am talking or listening to other people, bouncing ideas off, listening to their ideas, and so on. On the other side, though, I'm not exactly great at approaching people (a bit of an understatement)--I definitely wait for them to come to me, and of course they should because I am spectacular!;) Also, I usually get I on tests and so on.

S/N- this is the easy one--I'm definitely an N--I always do well with the big picture and even though I majored in history at school I couldn't give you a name or date or place or whatever if my life depended on it, but what things mean, yeah I can handle that. I see the big picture, like trying new things, and I love theories and seeing how theories can make different things fit in them. Its amazing, isn't it, how if someone believes in a good theory they can make anything fit, and someone else who believes in a very different theory can make the same exact things fit in to theirs? I'm also really good at making stuff up that sounds plausible and is, if I do say myself, probably right--I collect little bits of information and then someone asks why something is and I can bust out an answer that's made up a tiny bit of those little bits of information but is mostly my own guesswork (I think, I don't really think about it too much). In terms of Ni or Ne though, I'm not sure...I took the keys2cognition test a couple times, and always seem to get Ne first...but that just be me rebelling against my old INFJ self, you know? Also, I don't think I really understand these two that well, S and N I mean, because I never really thought about it...just assumed I was an N.

T/F- tricky, tricky. I mean, I think I have a pretty well developed Fe, so I want people to be happy and content and liking me and all that, and I'm really big on following social rules (don't tell someone that you're too busy to listen to their problems/wouldn't go to their party if your life depended on it, this is why we have the social lie, people) but at the same time I don't think I am a particularly nice person (I know, I know, not what T and F mean)--I'm pretty detached and I can be perfectly happy if other people are unhappy as long as it isn't effecting me. In terms of decision making, gosh, I don't know--I try to avoid making too many decisions, but I tend to go with the whims of a moment rather than thinking about my feelings or any logic, and I'm not great at making an effort at making people feel better/going out of my way to do so. I can be many things to many people- I'm good at playing social roles. Maybe I'm just maladjusted.

J/P- another tricky one, for me (alright, they're all tricky). In school college I always assumed I was a J because I worked to deadlines and got my stuff done and was responsible, but I wonder if that was because I wanted the social validation/respect that came from doing that in a school setting. Now that I'm out of the institutional net I'm much flakier--I'm a teacher (sort of) but I never assign homework when I plan to, and I think better on my feet, and I'm always just barely on time to a little late. Sometimes I think I'm only on time because my parents (who are both really, really J) are lurking in my brain. I'm also messy, messy, messy and really disorganized. At the same time, I do like a good routine--it's comforting and eliminates a lot of the need to make decisions, which I'm not good at.

Anyway, here are my results from my most recent encounter with the keys2cognition test:
extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************** (22.7)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************** (22.6)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************************ (48.1)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************* (25.7)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.4)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************************************* (43)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.9)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************ (24.8)
average use

which seems to indicate ENTP, but I'm not sure about the arguing and the rapid speech and all that--I don't really talk too much, and if I'm arguing with someone I don't know if it's really for the pleasure of it--I hate it when people are actually upset with each other. Usually I want to make people agree with me.

Anyway, thanks so much for your time, and all, and please feel free to ask any questions.

redacted

You're most likely xNFJ or xNTP, but it seems pretty hard to tell given this amount of data. Maybe try the video challenge thread?

Lucky Squirrel

Hmm...yes, those are the two (four I guess) that I am generally leaning towards. Let's see, more info. (I always think of more to say after I've said it)-

I tend to get stressed out by little things (not being able to find my keys in my bag, not being to find my lighter in my apartment, not being able to find the essays I need to correct for work--definitely a theme there), especially if it's something I feel like I should have control over. I don't really find myself stressed by big things (bag and laptop being stolen, the weather, being lost) and quite cheerfully moved halfway around the world to a totally different culture without much thought or worry. I think that people are inherently good and are all basically trying to do their best, and that people who exploit that are awful. I don't know if I have a very strong moral code, except that you shouldn't make other people's lives more difficult if you can help it. I think 'an eye for an eye' is dangerous and simplistic--because people are individuals you cannot do exactly the same to them as they did to you, after all, because everybody acts and reacts differently.

I hold grudges but I don't act on them, and I can maybe feel a little righteous when I'm nice to someone who I have grudge against, even if they have no idea that I do. I'm very judgmental but I don't hold things against people. I think that life is complex, and wonderful, and there aren't any big answers because everything is relative. One thing that really irritates me is when people say that people they disagree with aren't "true" liberals or Americans or Christians or women or whatever, because if they identify as such of course they are and no one is in any place to pass judgments like that. I think people in society have responsibilities to each other because guess what, no one's totally independent and you benefit from being in society as much as anyone so it's your responsibility to help it. I also think that there aren't any easy solutions to big problems and that stresses people out so much that they either ignore the problem or hold on to the solution/explanation that best fits their worldview and ignore all the other ones.

Technology is basically magic to me, but I understand people and ideas and systems made up of people and ideas pretty well. I love children and get along well with them. I like analyzing things, especially other people and why they do the things they do, and think the way they do, and believe the way they do. I hope this is helpful.

I'll be sure to check out the video thread.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My guess is a shy ENTP with well developed Fe. :)

Lucky Squirrel

My guess is a shy ENTP with well developed Fe. :)

Yes...that is what seems to be the best fit--I guess I have trouble because I do have a well developed Fe but the N types with Fe higher than auxiliary (wait..I mean tertiary don't I) all seem to be J's which...no. I mean, I padlocked myself inside my apartment the other day because I managed to lose the key to the lock in like an hour or so...which I'm pretty sure is not a J thing to do unless I'm oversimplifying? It's such an odd time for me personality self-assessment wise--I was always so sure I was an INFJ, 9w1 sp, etc., especially when looking back at my childhood all those many years ago (alright, not so many in the grand scheme of things), but I really wonder now how much of who I was was actually shaped by the old chemical imbalances. I still always get INFP on tests--especially indirect ones, but the description just doesn't fit, you know? But then I wonder if I'm thinking of how I'd like to be, rather than who I really am. Anyway, thanks for your time and thought and so on.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd say ENTP for you is most likely :yes: both in function order/strength and the manner in which you write seems like that of an Ne dom person.

Oh and welcome to the forums :hi: :)