• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BAM!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wait a second. I know some NP's who are putterers too. I also know some directive STPs. Is it really Se that causes that?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wait a second. I know some NP's who are putterers too. I also know some directive STPs. Is it really Se that causes that?

I didn't say it was exclusively Se.

I was thinking in terms of ISFJ vs ISFP (the two types you were considering) and what was likely responsible for behavior within those two types.

EDIT: For one, the external function is open-ended, and for the other, it aims for closure.

What's funny is that if you get ISFJs and ISFPs in the right context, you can smack into the judgment Fi function for ISFPs (where they'll dig in) and the Si open perceptive function for ISFJ (usually where they just enjoy being with familiar people or in familiar surroundings).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Wait...did this "official" report measure functions or just the four dichotomies? Because in job-related things they tend to measure the four dichotomies because they just want to stick you somewhere.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't say it was exclusively Se.

Well, now I'm truly curious. What other functions might produce puttering?

What's funny is that if you get ISFJs and ISFPs in the right context, you can smack into the judgment Fi function for ISFPs (where they'll dig in) and the Si open perceptive function for ISFJ (usually where they just enjoy being with familiar people or in familiar surroundings).

I'll be honest, if I'm buying into functions fully, I question if this is really possible. what I mean is, how much bending of a particular function can you really do before it starts becoming a different function in use?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Wait...did this "official" report measure functions or just the four dichotomies? Because in job-related things they tend to measure the four dichotomies because they just want to stick you somewhere.

There was no mention of functions.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I'll be honest, if I'm buying into functions fully, I question if this is really possible. what I mean is, how much bending of a particular function can you really do before it starts becoming a different function in use?

It isn't function bending. I thought the same thing as well when I almost gave up on function theory. It is not bending functions to suit particular needs, because the motives and world views really are different...it can just LOOK the same on the surface, if it's not being examined

Any type can be rigid or bendy about SOMETHING.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There was no mention of functions.

It looks like a four dichotomy test, which I do not trust. I believe sincerely that businesses use four dichotomy tests because it is a simplistic Te way to compartmentalize people into categories which determine behavior rather than function.

The problem with that of course being that asking someone if they're scheduled, organized, make lists, or if they're messy is a really shallow and in in my opinion incorrect way to type people.

You really do seem ISFJ to me as well, you seem to be Fe, for what it's worth.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
FUCK Fe! Seriously.

It serves everyone but me.

I wish I could get rid of it but before I can even think and override it it kicks in.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FUCK Fe! Seriously.

I wish I could get rid of it but before I can even think and override it it kicks in.

But I wub your Fe. :cry:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Please don't take this wrongly, but I feel like I have to be very precise in my answer or I'll have other people asking me lots of questions... and that's more investment than I wanted to make right now.

But basically it's not just one function per se, it can also be combinations of functions + particular circumstances. All I wanted to say here is that ISFPs do tend to putter, because they naturally wander through their environment and "play with things" to see how they interact with their inner values, just like an INTP will wander through the world of ideas and "play with them" to see what patterns shake out of it.

I don't even understand your question, sorry. :(
But I think Marm answered it, a bit.

Marmie.Dearest said:
Any type can be rigid or bendy about SOMETHING.

Yes, exactly... that's right.

We can sort of generalize about what sorts of things a type might get rigid/bendy about, but there is still individual variation as well.

It looks like a four dichotomy test, which I do not trust. I believe sincerely that businesses use four dichotomy tests because it is a simplistic Te way to compartmentalize people into categories which determine behavior rather than function.

I don't trust four-dichotomies either. It's too simplistic, as you say.

The problem with that of course being that asking someone if they're scheduled, organized, make lists, or if they're messy is a really shallow and in in my opinion incorrect way to type people.

Exactly. The behavior is not all that is going on, it's WHY the behavior is occurring that also matters... and yet it's hard to determine motivation when all you have is external behavior. That's why people resort to the self-analysis questions, but then those are biased in the other direction.

(I mean, gee... I make lists nowadays too. But it was quite the fight, I only do it when I have to, and it's a practical thing in pursuit of a goal, not a natural extension of me.)

Giggly said:
FUCK Fe! Seriously.

Honestly, yeah, it's a bitch...

I find myself envious at times of people who just can do what they feel is personally right or honor themselves; even when I try, I have a lot of trouble not still doing what someone else wants and/or feeling guilty if I don't.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
An "8" is pretty weak or relatively weak.

I originally tested "5" on the T side, but after much study and introspection, it's quite clear to me that I'm F.

Be as you wish :) That's what I'd say.

If it makes you happy, I guess. I'll be stereo-typical for a minute: Do you like rules, schedules, and having things decided? Or do you prefer to leave things open-ended? Do you finish things before the deadline, or two weeks later? Do agree to meet people, and show up on time?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^You're 100% introvert? Wow.

If it makes you happy, I guess. I'll be stereo-typical for a minute: Do you like rules, schedules, and having things decided? Or do you prefer to leave things open-ended?

I like both. I know that's not helpful though. :(

Do you finish things before the deadline, or two weeks later?

I finish at the deadline usually. lol

Do agree to meet people, and show up on time?

Yes I do.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
^You're 100% introvert? Wow.

Well, when I first took the test, I had no idea what it was. I'm trying to exercise some extroversion to make some friends. Eh, I first took the test in 1990. Just because I "prefer" to be alone does not mean I can't talk.

I like both. I know that's not helpful though. :(

I finish at the deadline usually. lol

Yes I do.

You: Close to the center (stereo-typically), but maybe slightly more J.

As you can see, I was originally strong P as well, so I can compare with myself.

On papers and stuff in school, I probably averaged two weeks late.

Sometimes I keep an appointment, but often failed to do so, especially when younger. Also, I have great difficulty with the concept of RSVP. I write in percentages instead of checking "yes" or "no". Come to think of it, I typically never answer "yes" or "no." Every question has an essay with qualifiers, and a general tabulation.

Thus, someone says, "Are you coming to my wedding?"

I say, "It depends. Blah, blah, blah...61% chance at this time."

The day before the wedding I call and say, "Well, I traveled to your city, so the chances of me attending moved up above 90%."

Etc. This is a great problem for me, maybe. At least it is in terms of my relationships with other people.

Also, I've missed appointments, like the typical absent-minded professor sort of person.

As for schedules, I sometimes find a bit of comfort in them. In fact I'm sort of forced to make them sometimes. But really I don't like them. I never make them for myself much. Sometimes I get organized so that things might get finished faster so that I can have more unstructured time.

I prefer autonomy both for myself and my co-workers/ employees. That is, I give a list of what has to be done, but I hate hold someone's hand or excessively redirecting or re-educating what needs to be done or telling them exactly when and how it should be done.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gig,

Is it possible your enneagram type has some "influence" on your disposition or in how your thought processes worked while answering some of those questions? Just a thought.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's quite possible and maybe even likely. I tried to answer as honestly as I could/in my normal state, but who knows what was going on really? since then I have gained an understanding of what Si is and know that use it a lot (I totally love Si!:rock:). I have good FiSe too but they are not as strong in me as SiFe, I think.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's quite possible and maybe even likely. I tried to answer as honestly as I could/in my normal state, but who knows what was going on really? since then I have gained an understanding of what Si is and know that use it a lot (I totally love Si!:rock:). I have good FiSe too but they are not as strong in me as SiFe, I think.

When did come to understand Si? :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Maybe a couple of weeks ago? All this time and it didn't really register in the slightest until then. I'm daft like that sometimes.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe a couple of weeks ago? All this time and it didn't really register in the slightest until then. I'm daft like that sometimes.

Oh? What was the spark of insight?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lots and lots of practical examples of Si in use in comparison to Se in use. I've read the theoretical description of Si many times and I just couldn't relate to it.

btw, do you know any websites that describes the enneagram types WITH their wings?