• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Typing Request for My Fiance

What Type do you think she is?

• ISFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFJ

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • INFP

• Other (specify with post please)

• Total voters

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
While I might agree with that (though I doubt I could be a planner regardless of necessity XD) as long as I've known her (we were friends before we got together) she's always been a planner so I doubt it was anything that changed to accommodate me or our relationship (to clarify this I asked her and she said she's always been this way). Because of that I'm going to to stick with J I think, but I want to know what you think if you looked at just ISFJ and INFJ. Also if I could, we both insist that example I've re-posted twice is the best example of her day-to-day thought process so I think it would be helpful or prudent if someone could tell what they think it means in this context.

Well, I'll ultimately defer to your expertise on the topic, as I can realistically only describe generalities from personal experience and from what I've read.

INFJ or ISFJ? I guess it's a matter of perspective. Literally. Sounds like she focuses her thoughts on landscape/holistic concerns, versus matters of practical detail. While this is an easy way to topically differentiate, it isn't always reliable. ISFJs can often be panoramic in their approach to what they find personally important, be it a critical social issue or a family cause. Problem is, same can honestly be said for INFJs.

So, besides the stereotpical jazz, it's probably prudent to look at what you want versus what you observe.

Would you prefer ISFJ or INFJ?

Kierkagaard

"the other day i was on a forum and saw an avatar that was just a black and white picture of a leaf but the leaf had a tear on one side. i started thinking about why that person used that avatar and i thought how i love picking up pretty leaves and admiring them but then i started thinking how it could represent people and how we're expected to be a certain way and those of us with tears are discarded and thought less of because we're not perfect just like the leaves and i cried"

This is the best example of her daily thought process. She says she does this sort of thing a lot throughout the day and it causes her to feel a lot from seemingly meaningless objects or something someone says which they don't mean to be taken at anything more that surface value. IMO and from what I've read about Ni, this sounds like INFJ. Do you agree?

Kierkagaard

Bumping once more. I wouldn't mind a little more consensus if anyone's willing to give it, especially in regards to my last post. Anyone?

Noon

Bumping once more. I wouldn't mind a little more consensus if anyone's willing to give it, especially in regards to my last post. Anyone?

I was hoping that someone else might have some input.

This is somewhat long so I'll bold the most relevant

If I were to guess, I would guess FiNe and a teensy bit of tertiary Si. The fact that your fiance first related this to her personal feelings and experiences before relating it to humanity as a whole really makes me think about how they might work in tandem. It sounds more fueled by personally engaged empathy instead of the detached, deconstructive analysis I would imagine of NiTi, but this is only my inexpert opinion.

Perhaps it would help to ask in the NF subforum, to hear firsthand from INFJs and INFPs? I could be way off mark. It could be anything.

For example, I think I think along similar lines somewhat often, though I believe that in my case it's a combination of Ti and our "mystery function" here.

I wonder about structure (how it works), motivation (why it works), representation (what it means/represents), and how all of it fits into the larger context of my previous notions and experiences ("how does this relate to all of my knowledge and assumptions thus far? How can I relate it to and use it to better understand those things? Ultimately, how can this positively -- or negatively -- change how I currently view the world"?).

For me, thinking about the avatar would be in a similar way to that: "Why did they choose it", "Why could it be so significant to them / what could it represent to them", "What were they trying to express with it", "How does it relate to ~".

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
holistic viewpoint, i think she sounds INFJ.

we know from the get-go that she's IxxJ, and she seems to be more focused on personal matters than impersonal, making her an IFJ. so i definitely agree with your assessment there.

the way she discussed the leaf/avatar sounds like Ni and Fe to me. and in that order, too. she takes a bite of data - a piece of information - and looks "back" into it, to see what it could represent. from the specific torn leaf, she inducts to an archetypal "imperfect thing". then she makes the connection that imperfect things are often discarded, which engages her sense of personal connections, and thereby her emotions.

there is engagement of S when she remembers herself picking up leaves, but i have a hard time seeing her as an S-dominant (ISFJ) given that the language she uses is not particularly rich in sensory detail. my ESFJ mom, whose Si is only secondary, still tends to explain things and situations in great detail. she does create global understandings, of course, all humans do, but her language is notably rich in concrete information when she finds a certain thing important. i also do not see that the memory is necessarily Si - Si is a recognition of how sensory situations differ (akin to how Ni isolates similar concepts from context), and i don't see that in her description of the situation. it was more about what the leaves symbolized than about the actual situation itself.

i think it was just a poignant memory, and Ni linked the patterns of:

"pretty-leaf-admire" and "torn-leaf-____"

then isolated them from the leaf context to see:

"pretty-admire / torn-____"

then moved further back into archetype to get:

"perfect-admire / imperfect-____"

then pulled memories (Se) of multiple instances of humans being discarded to fill in the full pattern:

"perfect-admire / imperfect-discard"

and then, knowing that humans can fill the "imperfect" role, she substituted in:

"human-discard"

she reapplied that pattern to herself, the avatar's user and other humans, recognizing that perhaps all of them have been "discarded", and thereby engaging her Fe empathy.

feel welcome to run that by her, i obviously am not privy to the internal workings of her mind! the problem with Ni is that it's largely subconscious, this process of archetype/pattern creation and application. i'm not even 100% sure that i'm describing it correctly!

and Noon is right - it could be FiNe with tert Si - but i'm hard-pressed to see her as an INFP given everything else you've both written. she seems like a strong J. she also seemed to move from specific to general - which Ne does too, but in a different direction. Ne works a little more like this, via association - moving "outward" to other things instead of inwards to archetypes. we can wind up at the same place, though, because of the way we run multiple linking threads /association chains), which then end up associating themselves to one another to form a big picture.

torn leaf -> torn skin -> emotional tearing -> torn human -> imperfect human -> imperfect leaf
torn leaf -> tearing -> imperfection -> not good -> harmful/useless -> discard

discard torn leaf -> discard torn human -> discard me/you/humanity in general

and then Fi would produce empathy for each specific situation - each individual discarding - which Ne expands outwards into the global feeling of "discarding - sad". but something about the way she's phrased it sounds more like NiFe than FiNe to me.

Noon said:
The fact that your fiance first related this to her personal feelings and experiences before relating it to humanity as a whole really makes me think about how they might work in tandem. It sounds more fueled by personally engaged empathy instead of the detached, deconstructive analysis I would imagine of NiTi, but this is only my inexpert opinion.

it does - though i think that we can probably attribute that to NiFe... it's actually in part that she didn't really focus on the leaf itself that makes me lean Fe instead of Fi. at least with my sense of Fi, when i'm looking at a broken object, i feel empathy in a global sense for all broken things but acutely for the object in question. Fi personalizes impersonal things and seeks the "inner core" of individual things, which i don't think she's really engaged here - she didn't personalize the leaf itself. and Fe would look to the relational - the person using the avatar, people's expectations, how people are discarded... those all seem to embody that.

Kierkagaard

A direct reply from the bride-to-be herself!

I did feel sorry for the leaves I've thought weren't as pretty as others because it's similar to what people do to other people. I do this sort of thing a lot, actually. I personalize inanimate objects (I feel bad even calling them inanimate.) It was a lot worse when I was younger but I still do it. For an example, I sometimes have a hard time throwing things away because those things were made and expected to be loved and be useful and by throwing them away it's saying you don't love them or they weren't useful. Like they were made to be thrown away. I take on the emotion that object would feel from that rejection and feel really guilty.

I feel like I relate more to Fe though because I'm usually thinking more about other people's feelings and taking care of the group. I take on others emotions as my own.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ah well i do empathize :)

i think that it is definitely safe to say that she is an IxFJ at this point.

the main difference between INFJ and ISFJ is that INFJ focuses on patterns and connections while ISFJ focuses on concrete detail - sensations, facts - and noticing differences between how things are and how things were.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With just this information, I would think that she's an INFJ.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Definitely, absolutely INFx. I would say INFJ, just from how she wrote, and she seemed to like predictable.

INFJs tend to have line of thoughts like the leaf thing.