• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or ENFP?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have gone from one dilemma to another.

As I've gotten to study MBTI more and from reading Keirsey's book, I feel that I am definitely an Idealist of some sort. I definitely have strong emotions but I never realized how much deeper they are for an NF than other temperaments. I care a lot of other people. I want them to be happy and am always willing to give a helping hand to those I care about. I also have the tendency to really care about what other people think of me. Ideally, I desire to be liked by everyone. If I suspect that someone doesn't like me, it makes me depressed even though I know that I have many awesome friends and then will try too hard to get those people to like me but prejudice is a horrible monster that affects a lot of people.

I related to the ENFP profile even more than I could to the INTP profile. However, Keirsey doesn't differentiate between Introversion/Extraversion so much, thinking that it isn't important. Ideally, I would say that I am ambiverted. However, I am unsure. I am definitely energized by other people, but only those I really like. I can be social and can talk off the cuff with ease. If I am alone for too long, I get depressed. However, I often like my alone time to read, write stories, and post on forums such as this. :cool: I often need external validation to gain motivation to do things. I could relate to what an ENTP said about himself in a personality type book that he has many ideas but needs to talk about them with others to figure out which ones are worth working on and which ones aren't.

Finally, I don't think that Introversion/Extraversion really makes a strong correlation with assertiveness. One of my best friends is an INTJ who I would say is very assertive socially, but he also definitely needs and enjoys his alone time and chooses his friends wisely. He even has the tendency to interrupt others in group conversations when (I guess) he feels what he has to say is more important. In one-to-one conversations, he often does more of the talking, even if I am the more 'extraverted' one of the duo. TJ's tend to more dominant than FP's though.

How do Extraverted iNtuitives deal with relationships? I find that I have a small group of close friends and a large group of acquaintances. I choose my close friends based on the conversations I can have with them.

I have never been afraid of meeting new people and my Introverted friends are amazed by my ability to just start a conversation so eagerly with people I never met before. I tend to handle myself well and am able to find common ground with people I meet. I often get people talking about themselves a lot, many I even mistook to be Extraverts but learned later on that they are definite Introverts. I am just 'easy to talk to'. I thought it was partially because I was so unassertive myself but learned that it may actually have been for the reverse that I was able to get others to get talking, since I often find myself asking them some interesting and thought-provoking questions.

I have talked to someone about this and that person said that my 'introversion' is simply rooted from some insecurities I have about myself and that it is more destructive for me than it would be for a typical introvert and that is why I can seem withdrawn at times, that I am likely an extravert and not an introvert.

What would you think from what I wrote?
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. :)

silpheed_tandy

MBTI Type
eNFP
I just want to say that I related to a LOT of what you said in your post!!
On online mulitiple choice assesments, I myself always score as a borderline E, but as a very high NFP.

I myself am a little confused about E vs I.
I know that NFPs tend to need more "alone" time, but does this make us necessarily introverts? That is to say, do even ENFPs look like introverts often by their peers?

I call myself an extrovert because I have a strong strong need to be out there with people and out there in the world. That's where I get my energy from.
` I also feel that my own introverted tendancies aren't my REAL self, but instead are from my inconfidence and my woundings/baggage. I know that when I'm feeling most "natural" and most "free", I am *so* extroverted -- I am always "in" the environment I am in, wanting to connect with people and wanting to notice all the beauty around me and "feel" my place in all of it (very Ne).

Not a very substantial post, I know, but I just wanted to quickly say (for my first post ever on these forums!) that I'm delighted to see that someone else has the same question as I do!

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I think the confusion with I/E in NFPs is quite a common one. I've been confused myself.

Rather than me reiterating everything that's been said, have a look at these threads:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/2385-infp-vs-enfp.html
(my own question I posed some time back)

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/1838-enfps-fact-fiction.html
(this one's quite long, but fascinating. ;))

I think the confusion has a lot to do with our extraverted function, Ne. If you look at all the others: Fe is centered around people, Te is to do with organising systems, and Se acts on the immediate physical environment. Ne, on the other hand, is to do with interpreting meanings and ideas.

And when your extraverted function is focused on interpretation and ideas, that is certainly not seen as 'stereotypical extraverted behaviour' by those around you. Hence the confusion of a lot of NPs.

So, with that all said, my guess is you're an extravert, albeit one who might be a bit shy or insecure some of the time, but an extravert nonetheless.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just be the # of threads you've created on this: extravert. In private (more intimate), introverts can tend to talk more than extraverts, in my real life experience.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
An ENFP needs the constant rush of interaction (and sometimes likes downtime), an INFP needs to get away from it all to reflect. ENFPs prefer to think on their feet.. they like to be in the action. INFPs are introspective and reflective and more withdrawn... there is a huge difference there. You have to know which one you are! Look within, my frind.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Thanks for the input!
I'm not sure what I am yet.
It all matters by why I feel that I am so unassertive in social situations.
If it's from the fact that I am afraid that much of what I'm going to say will hurt other's feelings and cause conflict, so I choose to hold back and not show an 'assertive side', I could very well be an extrovert.
If it's due to some sort of 'introversion', then I would most likely be an introvert.
For now, I'm sticking to XNFP.

I am energized by people who I enjoy being around and am not so bothered by the lack of alone time in college but find I need it to keep my grades up. However, while I definitely can hold my own in a group conversation, I find that I often get interrupted by more assertive personalities with ease (mostly Extraverted types) and I find I get annoyed with talking after the interruption, since I think what I had to say must have not been that important. Would an Extravert not care about such things? Would an Extravert just keep talking despite the interruption?

heart

heart on fire
Maybe you are ENFP with well developed Fi that enables you to concentrate very well and when you get into that zone you just want to stay there and finish what you are working on.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
You're going to think I am totally wacko, but just by looking at your style of writing, I would say you're ENFP.

ENFPs tend to loathe writing dense paragraphs, at least in a forum setting (I've noticed).

Visually, your writing looks kinda like Gabe's, who is an ENFP.

INFPs tend to be more traditional in their written presentation.

*This is totally just a weird theory of mine, so please take it lightly ;)

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
ENFPs are known as the INTROVERTED EXTROVERTS.
They spend a lot of time alone to centre themselves, and reflect. They also need quiet time alone to recharge...thats what I do anyways.
So I wouldnt be surprised if youre an ENFP. :)

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
CaptainChick: I could believe that theory! Not entirely wacko.

Since ENFP's need a lot of time alone to recharge as well, I am going to go with ENFP! Yay!!!!!

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *************** (15.4)
unused
introverted Sensing (Si) ************** (14.1)
unused
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************************************* (43.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************** (35.8)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.5)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************** (34.6)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26.4)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.7)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or INTP

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

Strange.. my Ne is stronger than my Fi BUT I get INFP instead of ENFP.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Your first 2 were Ne + Fi and that suggests ENFP.

Last edited:

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
This thread has convinced me that I am more extraverted than I thought I was. I am extremely energized by positive interactions for sure. I enjoy going to parties and having conversations with people, I've always found that 'small talk' can often be a way of getting into a deep conversation later on. I enjoy making new friends.

From reading what other ENFP's say about how they deal with social interactions, I can relate to the 'fog of dullness'.. but I am never really in 'solitude'. I always have music going on. I'm always talking to someone online. I'm always on Facebook/MBTI Central/Other Forums. I think I may have mistaken extraversion for dependence. I can have a good time by myself. I'm an avid reader and writer and often take time alone to work on those hobbies. Being around people that I enjoy definitely makes me happy. As long as interactions are positive, I am very outgoing and enthusiastic. However, when there is a negative interaction, I either snap at the person with sarcasm, try to resolve the conflict diplomatically, or (especially if I don't know the person well) ignore them and don't say much to them.

ENFP 4eva!

Chemgrl82

MBTI Type
eNTj
Enneagram
8w7
silpheed_tandy said:
` I also feel that my own introverted tendancies aren't my REAL self, but instead are from my inconfidence and my woundings/baggage.

I agree here. I think I become more introverted depending on my current life circumstances. When I get depressed, I've found that I want to be alone for longer periods of time. However, in my most natural state I remain extraverted. I've questioned this a lot recently, as over time I've seen my E percentange drop drastically. It must be depression-related.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
This thread has convinced me that I am more extraverted than I thought I was. I am extremely energized by positive interactions for sure. I enjoy going to parties and having conversations with people, I've always found that 'small talk' can often be a way of getting into a deep conversation later on. I enjoy making new friends.
This may be too little to late since you quite sure that you are NF and appear to prefer ENFP to INFP, but knowing your interaction style may seal it for you. INFP, INTP, ISFJ and ISFP all have a behind the scenes style of interacting:
The theme is getting the best result possible. People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.
Whereas ENFP, ENTP, ESFJ and ESFP have a get things going style:
The theme is persuading and involving others. They thrive in facilitator or catalyst roles and aim to inspire others to move to action, facilitating the process. Their focus is on interaction, often with an expressive style. They Get-Things-Going™ with upbeat energy, enthusiasm, or excitement, which can be contagious. Exploring options and possibilities, making preparations, discovering new ideas, and sharing insights are all ways they get people moving along. They want decisions to be participative and enthusiastic, with everyone involved and engaged.

BookLady

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hi! You sound like a classic ENFP to me. I am one as well. We ENFP's are the least extroverted of the extroverted types and we definitely need our alone time to process and rebuild. I found a test on another site which measures your top 4 types....ie based on your answers it tells you who else answered the way you did. I was almost equal on ENFP/INFP but I am def more ENFP. I think my I has increased with age.

BookLady

MBTI Type
ENFP
I just took it and it said I am an INFJ!! NO way! I am an ENFP! I wonder why...

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
BookLady: Yea! Another ENFP!!! :D
I think I have taken a test like that before.
I remembered that the highest scoring types were the XNXP types and these were the four I have been deciding between, even though now that I understand type better, I know that there is no way I am a T.

I agree here. I think I become more introverted depending on my current life circumstances. When I get depressed, I've found that I want to be alone for longer periods of time. However, in my most natural state I remain extraverted. I've questioned this a lot recently, as over time I've seen my E percentange drop drastically. It must be depression-related.

Chemgrl82: I can relate to that. I entered a long state of depression a few years ago. I went through a breakup and went to a new school.

I was shy and sullen for a few months, becoming unnaturally introverted, but was able to make a 180 afterwards and make some great friends! I think the only thing I need to be happy is friends. :wubbie: Being an extravert is my natural state as well, people energize me! I luv people!!