• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or ENFP?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi All!

I became interested in personality theory a few years ago, when my wife got her license to administer a Christian temperament analysis, and she tested me and several friends and family. I came to see how the theory helps us understand ourselveds and others. Then, one of these friends encourages us to take the Keirsey Temperament Sorter online. We both come out as ENFJ, which while possible for here, was way off for me. I then set out to understand the 16types system, and compare it to ours. Ours is based on FIRO and uses the ancient four temperaments of Galen (Sanguine, Melancholy Choleric, Phlegmatic), but has concluded that there was a fifth temperament, as well as the three areas (From FIRO) in which temperament can be blended (social, leadership and deep personal). I happen to fall into the new temperament in two of the areas, while being Choleric in the leadership area.

I had become so enthusiastic about this, that I looked for somewhere to discuss it. Unfortunately, I ended up on largely NF boards which were not into theorizing on this stuff. (And it took a long while before they could even speak up and communicate this). One had a resident expert who could break down all the 8 archetypes of Beebe and all, but no one could wrap their mind around the apparently foreign FIRO scales. But I had come to see a very likely parallel, particularly in the Keriseyan temperament and Berens Interaction Styles model. Also, Enneagram is similar, with its so/sp/sx variants, and it seems a lot of people want to integrate Enneagram with MBTI.

Finally, I don't think that Introversion/Extraversion really makes a strong correlation with assertiveness. One of my best friends is an INTJ who I would say is very assertive socially, but he also definitely needs and enjoys his alone time and chooses his friends wisely. He even has the tendency to interrupt others in group conversations when (I guess) he feels what he has to say is more important. In one-to-one conversations, he often does more of the talking, even if I am the more 'extraverted' one of the duo. TJ's tend to more dominant than FP's though.

This makes sense if you consider the "pragmatism" (or "utilitarianism") of NT as a kind of expressiveness. (like "extraversion" is). The SP is like this as well, regardless of the I or E of the Interaction Style. This really seemed to be a great evidence of the comparison.

With this correlation, I had expected my temperament mix to correspond to INTP, and it did seem to fit me a lot. But then others said I was too enthusiastic, and displayed too much Fi and Te, so that I was more like ENFP. Learning more on the functions from Berens' and others' books, I can see it is more likely, and that type did fit to some exent as well. I am just not as socially outgoing, inspiring, entrancing, etc. as the ENFP seems to be described. Yet I'm too enthusiastic to be an INFP. So it seems it may be the fifth temperament, which expresses as an introvert, yet "responds" as an extrovert, yet does not really fit in the four temperament systems, that is being picked up as both extraverted, and its overdriven "Feeling" preference overshadowing the Choleric influence, which would be more pragmatic and structure-focused. (i.e.NT'ish, though Keirsey correlated them differently)

So that is another possible explanation. The type expert I mentioned had said she ran across a "boatload of ENFP's" who considered themselves introverts.
The explanation given about Ne being different from the other extraverted functions was an interesting likelyhood too.

All of this stuff is fascinating, and each model has its own unique perspective to offer. I'm really inspired by Linda Berens who also integrates several models.

Eric

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
ENxPs are a curious blend of Extroverts, since they are often described as "shy". It's probably because of the overwhelming Ne...

Anyway, most ENFPs will often have borderline results in the I-E scale. They usually score between 45-75% only.
While their introverted brethren, the INFPs will rather score as very strong introverts, something like 0-30%.

You have the same trend with ENTP/INTP, but the ENTPs seems very slightly more extroverted (50-80%).

So don't worry. According to what you've said about you, and your Cognitive test (very low Si), you sound like a typical ENFP. That was quite obvious and I noticed you quickly figured it out.

If ENFP's like books and being alone sometimes, it's normal. IMHO, It's healthy behaviour... :bye:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I related to the ENFP profile even more than I could to the INTP profile. However, Keirsey doesn't differentiate between Introversion/Extraversion so much, thinking that it isn't important. Ideally, I would say that I am ambiverted. However, I am unsure. I am definitely energized by other people, but only those I really like. I can be social and can talk off the cuff with ease. If I am alone for too long, I get depressed. However, I often like my alone time to read, write stories, and post on forums such as this. I often need external validation to gain motivation to do things. I could relate to what an ENTP said about himself in a personality type book that he has many ideas but needs to talk about them with others to figure out which ones are worth working on and which ones aren't.

I have never been afraid of meeting new people and my Introverted friends are amazed by my ability to just start a conversation so eagerly with people I never met before. I tend to handle myself well and am able to find common ground with people I meet. I often get people talking about themselves a lot, many I even mistook to be Extraverts but learned later on that they are definite Introverts. I am just 'easy to talk to'. I thought it was partially because I was so unassertive myself but learned that it may actually have been for the reverse that I was able to get others to get talking, since I often find myself asking them some interesting and thought-provoking questions.

I have talked to someone about this and that person said that my 'introversion' is simply rooted from some insecurities I have about myself and that it is more destructive for me than it would be for a typical introvert and that is why I can seem withdrawn at times, that I am likely an extravert and not an introvert.

What would you think from what I wrote?
If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. :)
I'm not sure what I am yet.
It all matters by why I feel that I am so unassertive in social situations.
If it's from the fact that I am afraid that much of what I'm going to say will hurt other's feelings and cause conflict, so I choose to hold back and not show an 'assertive side', I could very well be an extrovert.
If it's due to some sort of 'introversion', then I would most likely be an introvert.
For now, I'm sticking to XNFP.

I am energized by people who I enjoy being around and am not so bothered by the lack of alone time in college but find I need it to keep my grades up. However, while I definitely can hold my own in a group conversation, I find that I often get interrupted by more assertive personalities with ease (mostly Extraverted types) and I find I get annoyed with talking after the interruption, since I think what I had to say must have not been that important. Would an Extravert not care about such things? Would an Extravert just keep talking despite the interruption?

This thread has convinced me that I am more extraverted than I thought I was. I am extremely energized by positive interactions for sure. I enjoy going to parties and having conversations with people, I've always found that 'small talk' can often be a way of getting into a deep conversation later on. I enjoy making new friends.

From reading what other ENFP's say about how they deal with social interactions, I can relate to the 'fog of dullness'.. but I am never really in 'solitude'. I always have music going on. I'm always talking to someone online. I'm always on Facebook/MBTI Central/Other Forums. I think I may have mistaken extraversion for dependence. I can have a good time by myself. I'm an avid reader and writer and often take time alone to work on those hobbies. Being around people that I enjoy definitely makes me happy. As long as interactions are positive, I am very outgoing and enthusiastic. However, when there is a negative interaction, I either snap at the person with sarcasm, try to resolve the conflict diplomatically, or (especially if I don't know the person well) ignore them and don't say much to them.

ENFP 4eva!

I can so relate to all of that!
(Had read it before, but was in the dentist's office waiting for my wife, and posted the ealier message from the mobile device).

As I had mentioned above, the temperament system my wife works with has proposed a fifth temperament. The fifth temperament is sort of like a Behind the Scenes (Introverted, informing: ISF/INP), yet has more of a need for people, basically matching a Get Things Going. Yet he is very inhibited; even moreso than the BtS. However, alluding to what others have said, while the expressed behavior is what we say we are, the high need (responsiveness) is what we really are!

So the introverted behavior might not be caused by "woundings" or "baggage", though such negative experiences will certainly "confirm" our social fears. The "insecurity" and "inconfidence" mentioned are themselves apart of the temperament. In our theory, what we normally call introversion is driven by an inborn fear of rejection. They lack confidence, and so avoid expressing to people. This is characteristic of the old Melancholic temperament, as well. Those with high needs for people (which would include the classic Sanguine temperament) also have this fear. The fifth temperament has both. They want to be included by others, but are afraid to initiate it. If they are in a group that they feel secure in, then they will be more expressive.

To give my own experience, our theory describes the fifth temperament, called Supine, as needing to be personally invited to things, and being frustrated when nobody "reads their minds" and invites them. However, in the area of temperament involving decision making, I am the totally opposite Choleric, and this influences the social aspect, and adds another measure of expressiveness. So I myself will hope that someone will invite me, but if they don't, and I really want to be involved, the other part of my temperament will kick in, and I will invite myself. I know that people don't like this, so the social temperament (which wants to be accepted, and thus not annoy people) will restrain the other part of the temperament as well. I often am torn as to which way to go in such situations. It will depend on what the situation is, and which need is more important. However, the "personal" need does come out in my not liking larger, impersonal groups, such as a megachurch, over a smaller fellowship where everyone knows one another. I also generally prefer familiar old friends to meeting new people. I generally get nothing out of being in a group of people I don't know (though I might like just the idea of people being around). On the other hand, the Choleric aspect has driven me to go to great lengths to track down old friends and keep in contact, even over long distance. It's almost as if I use the high expressed behavior of the leadership temperament to fill in for the social expression I lack.

On the other hand, if I'm engaged in a project (which ties to the Choleric drive) I may not want to be bothered with people, even if invited. Or sometimes, I will again be torn, or try to rush through it and catch the end of a social gathering. On the other hand, in places with people I do not know, like work, I will sit by myself like a true introvert, and hardly speak to anyone. Yet, I am meeting my other temperament need through my interests by going online on my mobile device, so I am happier not being bothered, again. But if I hear someone discussing something I am interested in, then, I will all of a sudden become outgoing and go and join in or add a comment, and sometimes even have much to say. That would meet both needs.

So it seems that ENFP's are partly this fifth temperament, which is more inhibited, yet wanting interaction from people; and partly a more expressive temperament. That would explain the ambigouous I/E we are experiencing. The normal ENFP appears to be a blend of Sanguine with Supine. I have Choleric instead of Sanguine, and what this did was to make T/F ambiguous for me as well. This came up in a Expanded Analysis Report. So again; I initially identified more with INTP, which is Behind the Scenes also, but mixed with the tough-minded Rational.

Both the Interaction Styles, as well as the SP/SJ/NT/NF groupings have been compared to the ancient temperaments. So actually, each of the 16 types is like a blend of temperaments, and will display aspects of both.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Over the past week, I have come to realize that I am probably an INFP over an ENFP. The reason for picking I over E is fairly simple. I realize that I am a lot more outgoing for one-on-one conversations than I am with group conversations. I have the natural tendency to stay quiet when I am in a large group, I have to work at being more talkative in that case and to be frank... talking to many people kind of wears me out. I think that classifies me as an Introvert. Thinking I was an ENFP was fun, but I think I am ready to say that I am an INFP.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm the same way (more outgoing with less people; more quiet in large crowds, and can get tired from them), but still, if you are "energized" by interaction, that is apparently interpreted as a kind of "extraversion". It seems as you said earlier, that extraversion is not [necessarily] "assertiveness". (though it often is).

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
It is strange. I am more energized by one-on-one conversations but not necessarily from talking in groups. I find that in large groups that I often have the tendency to get into a conversation with one or two people. I am fine in groups of three and four.. especially if I know the people really well but after that, I begin to find the interaction overwhelming.

Carebear

will make your day
MBTI Type
INFP
You sound like an INFP more than an ENFP. Close to the I/E border, but definitely I in my opinion.

Martin

MBTI Type
iNFP
I'm dealing with the same dillema... I was sure I was INFP when I first came to MBTI, then I started wondering and decided I'm ENFP, then INFP again and I have no idea which one I actually am...

You know, I love the external world, talking to people, I often get energized by action and people, but I can sometimes get overwhelmed... I love meeting new people, but one at a time please.

Tests and descriptions don't help me very much, because I always get torn in between the two.

I'm leaning more towards INFP these days, though. But I don't think I'll ever be sure about my type :\

Martin

MBTI Type
iNFP
Yeah, plus I think I use Fi more than Ne

What mistakes me greatly is how fast/open/crazy I can get, and I don't even have to try... Also I was much more of a Ne kid than Fi... (used a lot of Te back then, actually, but no way I'm a TJ)

Yeah, I'll go towards INFP for now, I'll just re-read some descriptions first. Cheers!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ENxPs are a curious blend of Extroverts, since they are often described as "shy". It's probably because of the overwhelming Ne...

I really don't get the idea that ENFP's would be shy. Here's one for stereotypes: :doh:
ESFP's are definitely NOT shy either.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
"Shy" is maybe a bad word. Ne dominants (ENFPs and ENTPs) are supposedly more stimulated by *new* ideas, things, experiences, people, etc; so if they're in an ordinary environment, many authors point out that they can be remarkably "checked out" of it.

As for INFP vs. ENFP, I've similarly found it very hard to distinguish between being an introvert or extrovert. The thing that's killer, though, is that the function alignment of INTP (Ti/Ne/Si/Fe) just *does not* make sense at all for me, whereas Ne/Ti/Fe/Si makes a hell of a lot of sense.

It's weird, but the types are sort of more than the sum of their parts. Being an "introvert" or "extrovert" means entirely different things to an xNFJ and an xNFP. My suggestion in general is, once you've boiled your type down to something that's between one letter, to look at the cognitive functions.

I enjoy these websites on this topic:

Tracking, Vol. I, Chapter 1
Jungian Psychological Type

Cheers, Mondo!

IEE623

MBTI Type
NeXx
I don't know if it's too late for me to say that you might really be an ENFP

Over the past week, I have come to realize that I am probably an INFP over an ENFP. The reason for picking I over E is fairly simple. I realize that I am a lot more outgoing for one-on-one conversations than I am with group conversations. I have the natural tendency to stay quiet when I am in a large group, I have to work at being more talkative in that case and to be frank... talking to many people kind of wears me out. I think that classifies me as an Introvert. Thinking I was an ENFP was fun, but I think I am ready to say that I am an INFP.

If anyone here is familiar with Socionics, you should know ENFP in MBTI is IEE in Socionics. IEEs use Ne as dominant and Fi as auxiliary like in MBTI as well. I found a very well detailed description of mature, well-developed IEEs here
Please check it out. It's very long.

At the very end, it goes, "They feel more comfortable and confident expressing their personal sentiments one-on-one or in a small group than expressing group sentiments."

So if you really use Ne as your dominant function, I think you're an ENFP.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
The more I think about it- the more I think I might be an E over an I- just one who has been a little insecure from time to time.

I definitely can relate to Ne much more than Ti or Fi- also I am a hell lot more enthusiastic than my Introverted friends. That was one of the reasons why some of my MBTI colleagues (who I know personally) felt that INTP wasn't necessarily a good fit since I like other people too much and am energized by some people.

When I'm nervous around others, I get very reserved and calculated- making sure that everything I say keeps me the people I'm with liking me. That has been one of my problems. I think I may actually be an ENTP. Another difference between me and my more Introverted friends AND where I am similar to my Extraverted friends is a love of parties- I just always felt more comfortable in the party scene. I thought that part of the reason was simply because at parties it's usually very easy to flirt with girls and dance with them but the fact I enjoy doing that seems more E than I in the first place.

The reason why I am really considering the switch is because recently I have been reading about philosophies such as Taoism and Tony Robbins' book for self improvement. I think much of my 'introversion' was simply a front so people won't get too close to me and harm my 'ego'.
These are reasons why I'm now considering E over I.

Such people see exciting possibilities in every new venture and are excellent at perceiving latent abilities in other people. They get carried away with the enthusiasm of their vision and often inspire others with the courage of their conviction. As such, they do well in occupations where these qualities are at a premium - for example in initiating new projects, in business, politics or the stock market. They are, however, easily bored and stifled by unchanging conditions.
When I'm secure and confident- this definitely describes me. People have been criticizing my ideas for being too 'pie-in-the-sky' since I first learned how to talk. I'm trying to get rid of the 'ego' and hopefully that will make me more confident in talking about my ideas since it won't matter what other people will think about them.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would have to agree with arcticangel02, Ne doesn't require people to function fully so an enfp could be isolated with nothing but his imagination and function almost as well as an enfp. enfps and infps show different facets of their personalities to the world, but on the inside, they're extremely similar(I was infp as a child but now I'm an enfp). contrarily, an enfp and esfp will seem quite similar externally(they're both wacky and crazy), but internally, the enfp is extremely philosophical and fantasy oriented.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also, you may be an enfp with a well developed Te that you can use as a defense against unfamiliar or more formal situations (hence when you said you were cold and calculated around people whom you were uncomfortable around). I developed Te from studying economics, taking debate and having a bunch of intj heroes like sesshomaru from inuyasha and saito hajime from rurouni kenshin. I used this in school as a defense when people would make fun of me. it's fun to use so that may be the reason for your thinking you are a T.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Get your enneagram more accurate. It can help a lot.

We are all similar as ENFPs but there are a few different flavours. And enneagram seems to enhance different aspects. 7s are slightly more happiness driven (from my perspective), 5s are slightly more knowledge driven, 4s are slightly more self understanding driven, not sure about the rest, but yeh there isn't really just one ENFP.

Both ENFP and INFP do introverted stuff, like be here on the forum, listen to music, write, paint, photography, reading. As said in the post above ENFPs often have quite a deep philosophical and imaginative introverted side. There is just a misconception sometimes that we always run around like happy little children. So it can be hard to decide based on introversion. And both ENFP and INFP on average seem to do pretty well against the NTs at school, if you took T for intelligence.

If you are quite social, that appears to be ENFP though. If you comfortably read new people and adapt instinctively also, that is ENFP. Though a lot of the time it is somewhere between conscious and subconscious. Just conversation goes smoothly, and people listen to you and tell you lots of things, hehe. I think it develops more as you get older though. When I was younger I had a way with it but it was by no means regular or controlled. I used to chat to people most were scared of though. There was sort of an arrogance that you could negotiate your way out of anything, and no one would see a reason to hurt you if you met them on their level. Even if they were chatting to you about how many people they had beat up already that evening.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
judging from your post, you might be an ENFJ or INFJ. ENFPs don't generally care that much about what others think about them. FJ types (Fe) tend to care a great deal about harmony and making sure everyone gets along, although an NFJ usually isn't as willing to compromise their independence or authenticity to fit in. also, the NFPs strong point is his imagination and many are very connected with nature. for example, when I was 7, my dad stepped on a butterfly and I cried for 2 hours. INFJs and NFPs can also have zoning out problems (as a child, my nature state of mind was being zoned out. most people with strong S or J ratings had trouble understanding why).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can relate to this problem. I'm borderline E/I NFP myself. As a child, I leaned more towards I but at school I'm much more E. Some people confuse Intuitive types with introverts. Intuitives tend to be more self reflective, less dependent on people, more intellectual, and more out of the mainstream. American society tends to view these characteristics as introverted. Imagination is also considered highly introverted, but NFPs are the most imaginative of all the types. Furthermore, Ne does not require people to function like Fe Te or Se do (although it helps for sharing ideas and making new connections). It's hard to balance both sides though. Too much Fi and you can become oversensitive, depressed and vulnerable (I started using Ne at school early on because some other kids could really hurt my feelings). Too much Ne and you can talk too much and not let other people have a chance to speak.