• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENXP???

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Temperament. I'm still not sure which side of the fence I'm on, and it doesn't really matter to me.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Ok I got a dumb question, since Im new to this MBTI and all. What is temperament? How is it different from MBTI?

It comes from a psychologist named Keirsey who made a bunch of observations after using the MBTI for many years and reworked it.

His book, Please Understand Me II, is the first one I ever read with regards to personality systems, so I'm a bit biased and show some favoritism to it.

Anyway, there are major things different about Keirsey's approach:

- He throws all this nonsense about Fi, Te, Ne, dominant, teritiary functions, etc. out the window. He boils it down to just E/I - N/S - T/F - P/J.

- He develops a model that includes observable behavioral tendancies: e.g. whether one uses abstract or concrete communication, whether it's directive or informative, etc. This is a huge advantage in my opinion, because it isn't about some obscure "psychological dynamics" (like whether we use Ti or Te more) that we can't even prove exist, and is about something you can observe directly.

- He identifies major motivations and so on that he sees in the types. This, again, has an advantage because he comes up with information that treats the types holistically, and, say, approaches an ENFP as being more than just the sum of E + N + F + P.

He sees the biggest differences in NFs, NTs, SPs, and SJs in terms of these skills sets, motivations, intelligences, etc. So those are the four temperaments, and the individual types (e.g. ENFP) is just a specialization of their temperament (in this case, NF).

I enjoy his approach, honestly. I'd consider myself more in his camp than the classical MBTI camp. I think in terms of temperaments more than not, although IMO there's value in both approaches.

Personality Test - Keirsey Temperament Website

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
It comes from a psychologist named Keirsey who made a bunch of observations after using the MBTI for many years and reworked it.

His book, Please Understand Me II, is the first one I ever read with regards to personality systems, so I'm a bit biased and show some favoritism to it.

Anyway, there are major things different about Keirsey's approach:

- He throws all this nonsense about Fi, Te, Ne, dominant, teritiary functions, etc. out the window. He boils it down to just E/I - N/S - T/F - P/J.

- He develops a model that includes observable behavioral tendancies: e.g. whether one uses abstract or concrete communication, whether it's directive or informative, etc. This is a huge advantage in my opinion, because it isn't about some obscure "psychological dynamics" (like whether we use Ti or Te more) that we can't even prove exist, and is about something you can observe directly.

- He identifies major motivations and so on that he sees in the types. This, again, has an advantage because he comes up with information that treats the types holistically, and, say, approaches an ENFP as being more than just the sum of E + N + F + P.

He sees the biggest differences in NFs, NTs, SPs, and SJs in terms of these skills sets, motivations, intelligences, etc. So those are the four temperaments, and the individual types (e.g. ENFP) is just a specialization of their temperament (in this case, NF).

I enjoy his approach, honestly. I'd consider myself more in his camp than the classical MBTI camp. I think in terms of temperaments more than not, although IMO there's value in both approaches.

Personality Test - Keirsey Temperament Website

Thanks NEMO. Now i get it. :)